• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT2| Punch Your Way to Your Own World

Ranger X

Now I am in deep shit!

A ghost thing in the Nether shot my portal. Now the glow isn't there anymore, I can't come back to the real world anymore. LOLOL

*cries*

Is my only option to commit suicide? I mean, I would lose much loot and I don't know how I could make a fire flint on this side...

Jasoco

Banned
Ranger X said:
Now I am in deep shit!

A ghost thing in the Nether shot my portal. Now the glow isn't there anymore, I can't come back to the real world anymore. LOLOL

*cries*

Is my only option to commit suicide? I mean, I would lose much loot and I don't know how I could make a fire flint on this side...
Well, if you don't happen to have the materials to make a chest to put it all in, you will lose everything unless you can get the Ghast to relight the portal.

What difficulty are you on, BTW? I'm on Normal now and still don't have any Ghasts.

Ranger X

Jasoco said:
Well, if you don't happen to have the materials to make a chest to put it all in, you will lose everything unless you can get the Ghast to relight the portal.

What difficulty are you on, BTW? I'm on Normal now and still don't have any Ghasts.

I am playing on normal. It's full of them.
Anyhow, I am glad to know they can re-lit my portal. I am basically saved now. Just need to attrack one of them...

EDIT: shit, the Ghast shot the gate multiple time, it does not comeback. :(((

BooJoh

Isn't there gravel in the nether? If you already have some iron you might be able to make some flint and steel.

Vlad

BooJoh said:
Isn't there gravel in the nether? If you already have some iron you might be able to make some flint and steel.

Nope, there's no gravel in the Nether at all. It's made entirely of Glowstone, NetherRack, Slow Sand, and Lava.

maybe try putting some netherrock near the portal and hope it hits it and lights up?

or maybe make a chest then suicide?

Vlad said:
Nope, there's no gravel in the Nether at all. It's made entirely of Glowstone, NetherRack, Slow Sand, and Lava.

edit, this is not true. I've come across tons of gravel in the nether. I always keep a flint on me just in case, but if i lose it i keep wood and collect shards in the nether gravel

Jasoco said:
How do you destroy a spawner? What tool do you use?
Here's how I do it. It has to be completely sealed. Hollow it out by digging around it and dig out the four corners on the floor. Plant a torch at each corner. Kill all the monsters without burning out the torch. Spawner destroyed!

Note to self: Do not be foolish enough to read this thread at 3:00 AM.

Note to self #2: After being foolish enough to do #1 anyways, under no circumstances "just check out the classic version real quick" at 3:00 AM.

Thanks a lot guys, there goes another $20 :D This thing is great!

Vlad

Onion_Relish said:
edit, this is not true. I've come across tons of gravel in the nether. I always keep a flint on me just in case, but if i lose it i keep wood and collect shards in the nether gravel

Ah, you're right. I never really went into the Nether all that much after the initial novelty wore off, so I guess I never got the chance to actually see gravel there.

JoeBoy101

Anybody have any problem running Minecraft on Win 7 64-bit? I've got the latest Minecraft .exe and Java version, but after playing for about 20-30 mins, the game goes to black and locks up, every time. Tried google and not getting very far.

Inkwell

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
Anybody have any problem running Minecraft on Win 7 64-bit? I've got the latest Minecraft .exe and Java version, but after playing for about 20-30 mins, the game goes to black and locks up, every time. Tried google and not getting very far.
Make sure to download the 64-bit version of Java as well. You have to use a 64-bit browser for the website to let you download it (there's a 64-bit version of IE). Just use that browser and go to the download section on the website. It'll pull up the 64-bit version automatically.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I just did the gargamel code and there was literally an exit to the surface in visible range without me needing to move around. I just rotated on the spawn square.

::Edit::
OK, just went back in and technically I had to move over just a tad to see it around a wall, but I still didn't have to leave my spawn square.

Enco

Monroeski said:
I just did the gargamel code and there was literally an exit to the surface in visible range without me needing to move around. I just rotated on the spawn square.

::Edit::
OK, just went back in and technically I had to move over just a tad to see it around a wall, but I still didn't have to leave my spawn square.
This.

Was very easy to get out for me.

Just finished a railway system for my private server with a friend. Pretty snazzy :p I used the Minecart Mania mod (nearly impossible without). Was easier than expected although I did get lost between the three points I wanted to link.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Is this game anything like Miner VGA?

Tacitus_

JoeBoy101 said:

I had it crash it continuously as well. Putting the draw distance to medium solved it for me.

Ranger X

Oracle Dragon said:
Note to self: Do not be foolish enough to read this thread at 3:00 AM.

Note to self #2: After being foolish enough to do #1 anyways, under no circumstances "just check out the classic version real quick" at 3:00 AM.

Thanks a lot guys, there goes another $20 :D This thing is great!

And you've seen nothing yet if you only try the old and feature less Classic free version...

JoeBoy101 said:

Might not be because it's a 64bit OS at least because I am on Vista 64bit and it runs perfectly.

Inkwell

Banned
Ranger X said:
And you've seen nothing yet if you only try the old and feature less Classic free version...

Might not be because it's a 64bit OS at least because I am on Vista 64bit and it runs perfectly.
I have Windows 7 64 and had black screen crashes constantly until I downloaded the 64-bit version of Java.

Ranger X said:
I am playing on normal. It's full of them.
Anyhow, I am glad to know they can re-lit my portal. I am basically saved now. Just need to attrack one of them...

EDIT: shit, the Ghast shot the gate multiple time, it does not comeback. :(((

I hate to say it, but you shouldn't have gotten yourself into that situation in the first place. ALWAYS take flint/steel with you when going into the nether. ALWAYS take cobble stone. NEVER attack the pigs. Ghasts can't shoot through cobble, so make a small box room that surrounds your portal next time, put some lights in there and a supply box.

Jasoco

Banned
phosphor112 said:
I hate to say it, but you shouldn't have gotten yourself into that situation in the first place. ALWAYS take flint/steel with you when going into the nether. ALWAYS take cobble stone. NEVER attack the pigs. Ghasts can't shoot through cobble, so make a small box room that surrounds your portal next time, put some lights in there and a supply box.
Live and learn I say. Hope you didn't have too much stuff, but remember, anything you have now can be gotten again with a little work. In Minecraft, you start with nothing but your fists and a few trees.

Learn from your mistakes and next time you will be prepared. Next time you'll know to only go in with what you need. An axe, shovel, some flint and steel, and possibly some obsidian if you plan on making an exit elsewhere.

Also, I make it a habit to back up my world religiously. Right-click, Compress "world", done.

Ranger X

phosphor112 said:

Yes indeed, but I didn't know portal could be shutted down by mobs. :)
It was my first time there, next time I'll be prepared. Why do you suggest not killing the pigmen?

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Ranger X said:
Yes indeed, but I didn't know portal could be shutted down by mobs. :)
It was my first time there, next time I'll be prepared. Why do you suggest not killing the pigmen?

They're peaceful unless attacked. If you attack one of them, they ALL become hostile for a while even if you leave the nether.

Ranger X

I just discovered the most awesome cave I've seen so far.
It's going so deep, there's so many galleries and tunnels it's insane! I wouldn't be surprised this cave reaches the bottom of the earth. Crazy amount of torches needed to explore that but OH SO MUCH FUN!!
I'm even planting signs with direction to know my way back out lolol (digging up until you reach the ground = no fun)

Did you guys post awesome seeds yet? There are some bad ass maps that I've come across.

Kite

Dead Space

Pollywally dingdang

Floating Islands

queef

Glacier

Flambousle

Horrorshow

EDIT: gargamel

thanks for the post =P

Going to get back into this after work, those gargamel pictures look too epic not to try. I haven't played in months, guess I've got some catching up to do. What's the link for the wiki?

JoeBoy101

Thanks for the help guys! The 64-bit Java is what I needed.

In return, a FUN seed.

From your respawn point, you should see some water a patch of gravel by it.

Start digging on the gravel. I dare ya.

S.W.

WolfofMebu said:
Nope, still on 1.2
So what's the downgraded bin that everyone playing on the exano's server uses? Haven't played on the server for a whole week already.

-Edible

BooJoh

Ranger X said:
I just discovered the most awesome cave I've seen so far.
It's going so deep, there's so many galleries and tunnels it's insane! I wouldn't be surprised this cave reaches the bottom of the earth. Crazy amount of torches needed to explore that but OH SO MUCH FUN!!
I'm even planting signs with direction to know my way back out lolol (digging up until you reach the ground = no fun)
A trick I learned here at GAF:

As you work your way into a cave, place all your torches on one side (let's say the right wall.)

Then if you get lost or need to get out, just follow the torches and keep them on your left and eventually you'll find your way out.

Jasoco

Banned
Verdre said:
They're peaceful unless attacked. If you attack one of them, they ALL become hostile for a while even if you leave the nether.
I love how they carry around swords, but never attack unless threatened. But they do get curious occasionally so make sure not to accidentally hit one with a pickaxe while trying to harvest their precious precious Netherrock.. er Rack. (Can't believe that isn't a typo?)

Edit: Well, I had to change to Hard mode buy I finally got a Ghast to appear. I had to walk a hundred meters to get him to show up. When I went back I started digging around my portal to build a box around it but he found me. He missed me, but that was enough warning to tell me to leave for now. This is gonna be fun!

Wool

Jasoco said:
I love how they carry around swords, but never attack unless threatened. But they do get curious occasionally so make sure not to accidentally hit one with a pickaxe while trying to harvest their precious precious Netherrock.. er Rack. (Can't believe that isn't a typo?)

A little bit ago I was in the Nether making a base surrounding my portal, and this pigman was following me around and pushing into me without ever stopping. If I stood still he would keep walking into me pushing me in whatever direction he was going. Does this happen to you? Although he wasn't actually attacking, it was so frustrating that he had to be slain, which caused the other pigmen to come after me and kill me.

kennah

les papillons sexuels said:
anyone know where there's some iron near the starting area on gargamel?
Ore drops are not part of the seed. So no one will be able to tell you where iron would be in your world.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I know its been done before but Im thinking of making the temple of time on my map. But including a hidden pathway that leads to the triforce/a traditional home base.

Ranger X

BooJoh said:
A trick I learned here at GAF:

As you work your way into a cave, place all your torches on one side (let's say the right wall.)

Then if you get lost or need to get out, just follow the torches and keep them on your left and eventually you'll find your way out.

Neat. But the cave I am in is too complex. There's multiple long corridors and galleries that are interconnected, you don't know wich torches to follow anymore lol

Jasoco

Banned
rdelaney said:
A little bit ago I was in the Nether making a base surrounding my portal, and this pigman was following me around and pushing into me without ever stopping. If I stood still he would keep walking into me pushing me in whatever direction he was going. Does this happen to you? Although he wasn't actually attacking, it was so frustrating that he had to be slain, which caused the other pigmen to come after me and kill me.
All peaceful mobs are pushy. I don't know if it's by design or just a bug. If it's a bug, they should make it so they stop, but it doesn't seem to be a bug. But hey, they are technically enemies (The Pigmen) so maybe he's trying to goad you into attacking or even push you into the lava. Personally, I like that they do that, but I do hate when those fucking cows and pigs get all up in my face when I'm trying to build my damn castle.

I wish he'd add more mobs more often. All we've gotten on the peaceful side are squid and on the hostile side, Ghasts with Pigmen in the middle ground since Halloween. I keep hoping for birds and other kinds of animals. Especially the ones in those Mods. I don't want to install a mod, but I do wish they'd buy the BetterMobs mod or whatever it's called and incorporate some of them into the game. I'm getting tired of sheep, cows, pigs and chickens. And the skies are just so empty without birds flying around. (There's a really nice realistic bird mod out there that has some pretty realistic flight patterns. It would be perfect.)

r1chard

Ranger X said:
Neat. But the cave I am in is too complex. There's multiple long corridors and galleries that are interconnected, you don't know wich torches to follow anymore lol
I also always make sure to wall off branches as I've explored them.

Neo Member
For anyone who wants high cliffs and floating stuff, try this seed: -1784338777788894343.

It's FILLED with mobs, even at day.

Ranger X said:

For complex caves, this is what I use:
2011-02-27_201654.png

Place a cobble, and place a torch on top for light. Then I place a torch on the side I just came from. So when I'm walking out of the cave, the torches "point" me in the right direction. The only downside is that it uses a lot of torches. :p

Forkball

Frankly I like digging my way up to get out of the tunnel. If you've still got enough pickaxes, it's more fun and rewarding to try to dig your way back up since you can run into completely new areas and find resources while also getting closer to your home. You do really have to watch out for falling gravel and sand though. It's also fun to see how far away you are from your starting point after you dig out.

What mods is the GAF server running? I really wish it would update so I can explore and build a shrine dedicated to my glory for all to see and worship.

r1chard

10204307 said:
For anyone who wants high cliffs and floating stuff, try this seed: -1784338777788894343.

Wow. Best spawn ever. Definitely for the experienced player :)

Wool

10204307 said:

That is awesome, but you have to wonder how people found some of the number ones. Complete luck?

Top Bottom