• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

I finished my DeathCoaster. It's located just south of my racetrack, east of spawn.

5se2B6Y.png

It's a 2 player game where you win by shooting the minecart out from under your opponent! How awesome is that?

s2FcMMx.jpg

But wait, there's more! This fully licensed ride from Bentles Amusments LLC includes:

• Unique track design means never running out of track!
  • Chests with bows and arrows!
  • Free minecarts? You bet!
  • A station so you know where the hell to get on!
  • Patrolled at night by Undead Security!
  • Fully insured and bonded!

Here's a picture of our current reigning champion, Puppet Shadow*:

wpVs0ji.png

* Not actual current champion

Edit

After some testing, it appears the DeathCoaster needs some tweaking, as there appears to be a design flaw. I'll open it up again after I've figured out what the issue is. Clearly, the track is to blame here, this is certainly not a reflection of our champion's skills.*

1GmkFmQ.png

*It's a reflection of our champion's skills.

Fuchsdh

I finished my DeathCoaster. It's located just south of the racetrack, east of spawn.

5se2B6Y.png

It's a 2 player game where you win by shooting the minecart out from under your opponent! How awesome is that?

s2FcMMx.jpg

But wait, there's more! This fully licensed ride from Bentles Amusments LLC includes:

• Unique track design means never running out of track!
  • Chests with bows and arrows!
  • Free minecarts? You bet!
  • A station so you know where the hell to get on!
  • Patrolled at night by Undead Security!
  • Fully insured and bonded!

Here's a picture of our current reigning champion, Puppet Shadow*:

wpVs0ji.png

* Not actual current champion

I shall challenge you when next we're both on!

Ranger X

I don't know why people are questioning Dry's build on Gafland. The guy puts an extraordinary amount of time into his build. Hell he is on just as much as me so does that mean I am gonna face accusations that my 500,000 glass block domed city was done in creative ? What about my 12,000 block TAMPON ? Just because a build is big does not mean it was built in creative.

Personally I love Dry's gardens (not a euphemism) got a great feel to it as you walk around the place. It has taken him a hell of a lot of time and effort to create that build

Be certain that I don't want to downplay the awesomeness of Dry's built. And I trust him cause after all he's been my neighbour on Neocraft too and its true he's making crazy things. :p

Crispy75

Inventories are getting harder and harder to manage with all these new block types. Back in Alpha, there were what, 20 or so blocktypes? Now there's over 150. If you use a large variety of blocktypes in a build you have to keep going back and forth to storage

Fuchsdh

Would be great if they expanded chest and inventory storage slightly. But schlepping your stuff around is always going to be a pain :)

I don't know why people are questioning Dry's build on Gafland. The guy puts an extraordinary amount of time into his build.

Anyone who questions his builds obviously must be new. You should probably lightning bolt them out of nowhere every now and then just to be sure they don't keep having such silly thoughts.

I started messing around with the Carpenter's Blocks from Mirk's mod pack. Man these are so neat! But for the life of me I can't think of anything really awesome to build with them...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wood-type colored fences in the new snapshot revision
ihuOVk7.png

what's this madness !

Yes! YES!!!! I've wanted those for a long time now, outstanding. This update is one of the best ever, so much new awesome stuff. I've been playing in 1.8 for some time now and I absolutely love all the new block types to build with.

Would be great if they expanded chest and inventory storage slightly. But schlepping your stuff around is always going to be a pain :)

I actually don't want them to change chests at all. I like needing to build huge storage facilities for my bases, sometimes I even section them off into themed storage areas. I'm pretty much against any changes that make you need to build less stuff in game. Mules with storage space helped a lot with moving large amounts of stuff from place to place to, I use them a lot now. I do think they need to allow us to build a double sized ender chests though. That would be very helpful and not out of line with the game mechanics at all.

Crispy75

Along that line of thought, I have ambivalent feelings about /home and /back. They make construction jobs much much easier as you can zip back and forth from your storage for materials. But they reduce the need for building things. I'd have crazy minecart systems all over the place for shifting stuff around, but there' no point when warping is instant.

Mengy

Along that line of thought, I have ambivalent feelings about /home and /back. They make construction jobs much much easier as you can zip back and forth from your storage for materials. But they reduce the need for building things. I'd have crazy minecart systems all over the place for shifting stuff around, but there' no point when warping is instant.

That's exactly why I hate warps in the game and very rarely ever use them. They trivialize the need to build nether travel networks, minecart systems, and even horse use. I understand most people love the convenience of it but it kills the gameplay for me too. But, it's easy enough for me to just not use those commands personally, a lot of people love having them.

Fuchsdh

I see not having warps, but I love the back and home commands. For me it cuts down on the back-and-forth tedium of my building, like Crispy says--but I still hoof it to other people's builds because it's fun to see and I bizarrely like the infrastructure stuff of roads and rails.

Mengy

If fences weren't enough, here's some doors too!

What next, chests?

WOAH! Now thats freakin cool. Next to come: colored hatches, signs, chests, boats....

After thinking about it this may be one of my favorite features of 1.8 now. I like more variety in building possibilities. I'm going to spend all night tonight redoing my bases in my single player world with these. More doors!

"One does not simply walk into more doors......"

Mengy

Okay, wow this update is getting PACKED with stuff. Apparently they have added armor stands as well where you can display armor and heads:

Armour_stand_1.png

20843.jpg

AND they are adding colored beacons, where you can change the color by using stained glass!

Best update ever??? o_O

belushy

Banned
If fences weren't enough, here's some doors too!

What next, chests?

Awesome!

This update is shaping up to be amazing. Now all I ask for is Stone brick walls, and slabs/stairs for hardened clay (I can wait for both for a later update though since they added pretty much everything else I'd want.)

belushy

Banned
Have they put enemy head drops in yet? It's really stupid that you can still only get them in Creative. Just make them a rare drop!

Mob heads will drop in 1.8 using a charged creeper explosion.

What's a charged creeper explosion?

When a creeper gets struck by lightning, they transform into charged creepers. If you make them explode next to other mobs (normal creepers included) they drop their heads. I believe the heads drop 100% of the time too, so you'd want to set up a system to collect creepers, make them charged, and then put them in a mob trap with other mobs.

edit:

---------

Here is a picture of all the new 1.8 stuff (so far....)

Not shown: New enchantment called Depth Strider which allows you to swim/walk in water pretty quickly.

Mirk

The modded server has been updated.

We now have Galacticraft. Time to go to the Moon, or Mars, or Build a space station or go to the new asteroid belt!!

And just added Railcraft Choo Choo!

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't get the armor stand thing. Armor in this game looks absolutely awful. And there's hardly any variety to it. Not sure what the point of 'showing it off' is.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't get the armor stand thing. Armor in this game looks absolutely awful. And there's hardly any variety to it. Not sure what the point of 'showing it off' is.

Mod armors may be better looking. Also armor statues for palaces, castles, and so on.

Are they actually adding any real gameplay stuff or is it just "more blocks" once again? Cause i keep hoping they might actually improve Minecraft as a game, not just a lego simulator, so to speak.
Not that i oppose adding more blocks and items and such.

Mod armors may be better looking. Also armor statues for palaces, castles, and so on.

Are they actually adding any real gameplay stuff or is it just "more blocks" once again? Cause i keep hoping they might actually improve Minecraft as a game, not just a lego simulator, so to speak.
Not that i oppose adding more blocks and items and such.

Adding what could be some optimization for loading chunks, block IDs; new water temples (with bosses); customizable world border; new Spectator game mode; Depth Strider enchant for movement underwater; overhaul of world generation capabilities ...

Oh, and rabbits.

Woorloog

Banned
Adding what could be some optimization for loading chunks, block IDs; new water temples (with bosses); customizable world border; new Spectator game mode; Depth Strider enchant for movement underwater; overhaul of world generation capabilities ...

Oh, and rabbits.

So mostly new stuff to build with and tech stuff.
Still no better combat, better hunger system, better AI, stuff like that... Somehow i doubt those will ever come though.

If not that... i'd like something that makes building big stuff alone easier. Like... i don't know, excavators or bulldozers?
Because every single building idea i have is so big building them block by block alone takes way too long, exceeding my patience. Small projects are not satisfying. And i can't think of anything interesting medium-sized that doesn't require excessive amount of rarer materials.
(I could perhaps turn my ideas into group projects except i'd be micromanaging everything constantly so people would end up being pissed off pretty soon i think. EDIT oh and i'm the sort who improvises his projects largely, so there ain't no accurate plans. Minecraft and legos are pretty much the only things where i don't plan much, i just have some general idea.)

Vlad

By the way, if anybody's having issues loading Minecraft since Mirk upgraded the server, it can be resolved by deleting the Gafpack folder under .technic/modpacks and redownloading the whole thing from scratch.

By the way, if anybody's having issues loading Minecraft since Mirk upgraded the server, it can be resolved by deleting the Gafpack folder under .technic/modpacks and redownloading the whole thing from scratch.

Didn't have any issues loading the modpack, but was getting a ton of block lag. Tried this just because and haven't had any issues since. Not to say that's the definite fix since I'm the only one on the server.

Fuchsdh

Need a place to hack your friend to death? Want people to watch? Now there's a perfect place!

The Arena is now open for your murdering pleasure!

Ample seating is available! Conveniently located on a new Metro stop on the Orange Line, or just a short jaunt north of the Arboretum! Take the kids to the Crisposphere™ after some quality bloodsport!

Somebody please help me with this game, I'm stuck with 1GB of RAM and it keeps running out with mods. I looked at my Forge file and in the profile editor of the launcher the arguments look like this:
Code:
-Xmx1G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M
No matter what I change, I'm stuck with a 1GB cap it seems. Any way to fix it easily and simply?

I'm also using Magic Launcher if it means anything.

Fuchsdh

Somebody please help me with this game, I'm stuck with 1GB of RAM and it keeps running out with mods. I looked at my Forge file and in the profile editor of the launcher the arguments look like this:
Code:
-Xmx1G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M
No matter what I change, I'm stuck with a 1GB cap it seems. Any way to fix it easily and simply?

I'm also using Magic Launcher if it means anything.

Change that Xmn value to 1024 or higher.

Top Bottom