• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Yep, it is :). It's my username for everything gaming related pretty much.

Ok you should be good to go. It has been a while since I have added people to the server manually. Normally Minsc does it but he sure has become a slacker these days. I will be on minecraft in about 2 ish hours from now so if there problems I can get em sorted.

Fuchsdh

So in the Minecraft wiki changelog for daylight sensors they say that in 1.8 you can toggle daylight sensors between day/night functions. Does this mean you no longer need an inverter to create nighttime trigger lamps come the new update?

Vlad

Anybody else on Mirk's server noticing a general performace drop since the update that removed MFFS? I used to be getting a solid 40 around my base, now it's at 10 or so, and ArtistDude was noticing similar issues.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ok you should be good to go. It has been a while since I have added people to the server manually. Normally Minsc does it but he sure has become a slacker these days. I will be on minecraft in about 2 ish hours from now so if there problems I can get em sorted.

Thanks! I'll be sure to get on later and build a discrete hut and live my hermit life as not quite L4D2 Ellis

Bentles

So in the Minecraft wiki changelog for daylight sensors they say that in 1.8 you can toggle daylight sensors between day/night functions. Does this mean you no longer need an inverter to create nighttime trigger lamps come the new update?

Yeah they're on at night so that makes sense. So now you can just toss one on top of each lamp and switch it to night mode and your redstone is done :)

Modded server now has...

vXZZ6bC.jpg

Skele grinder! (BTW, I stole your skele spawner, Thorn)

Just before my Nether portal.

PS: More people should play over here!

PSS: Can we please for the love of jeebus remove the mod that gives mobs random abilities please? I have to beat a 1120 health wither skele to death 1 dmg at a time with my fists because it made me drop my sword and it picked it up. It'd be worth it these assholes actually dropped decent loot, but they don't.

Will edit again in an hour what it dropped...

Mirk

PSS: Can we please for the love of jeebus remove the mod that gives mobs random abilities please? I have to beat a 1120 health wither skele to death 1 dmg at a time with my fists because it made me drop my sword and it picked it up. It'd be worth it these assholes actually dropped decent loot, but they don't.

NO but I'll looking into making them drop better loot :p

Mirk

Please do something. This was just dumb.

It dropped my sword and
a Protection II chain helm

WOOOOOOOO.

So I changed a few things. Got rid of the annoying debuffs and changed the loot some would like to add thing at some point. ALSO the health you see must be a bug because the skeleton had a base health of 220 when the rest of the mobs were 15-40 so I think it was a typo and its fixed now.

belushy

Banned
Modded server now has...

vXZZ6bC.jpg

Skele grinder! (BTW, I stole your skele spawner, Thorn)

Just before my Nether portal.

PS: More people should play over here!

Lol... and here I am trying to set up my own and having a shit of a time getting it to work.

In case this effects any one posting it here.

http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/bukkit-its-time-to-say.305106/

although looks like Mojang are taking it over now

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/502380571600121856

Yeah at first glance it looks like doom and gloom for bukkit. I would say these days Bukkit is a pretty essential mod for server admins. It is used by Neocraft and it is the reason why Neocraft never runs the latest version of minecraft (Ark/Minsc always have to wait for Bukkit to update to the new version).

This is another victim of Mojangs moronic attempt to kill off "pay 2 win" servers (yeah like you can bloody win at minecraft anyway). Never played a paid server and never will play a paid server. However if people are stupid enough to fork out money to play on a paid server then that is their own idiocy and they are entitled to it.

However this tweet from Dinnerbone might actually mean good news :-

Dinnerbone said:
I started Bukkit, I'm going to personally see it through for 1.8. Updating it now :)

https://twitter.com/dinnerbone/status/502381093731831808

So if Dinnerbone sticks with it we might actually see Neocraft upgraded to 1.8 quicker than it ever has. So maybe, just maybe this lil bit of drama is enough to get Mojang treating Bukkit properly and integrating it into minecraft.

Fuchsdh

While I am definitely of the "fool and his money" way of doing things, I can see why Mojang feels the need to kill or damper "pay to X" servers. No doubt they've received lots of angry calls and letters from players who feel cheated, from parents who don't understand how their kid racked up these costs, et al. It damages their brand, and telling people "that's your fault" doesn't usually go over well.

However their response seems a bit heavy handed, considering how other companies have handled stuff like that. Halo seems to me a prime example--if you want, you can basically do anything. They've highlighted fan comics on their website, hosted game shows created in Halo: Reach, et al. They don't really approve of modded content, but unless you're trying to cheat in matchmaking they don't really do much--even Bungie before them would ban you if you had modded content in your fileshare. The only condition is that you don't sell it to make money--and even that is open to wiggle room; there have been a lot of Halo-related kickstarters for fan films, etc., where since money was going into production and it was clear it wasn't an official Microsoft project, they stayed clear and gave the okay. Why doesn't Mojang just do this? If they're concerned with how paying servers are corroding the experience, then they probably should focus more narrowly on that.

On another unrelated note ..... AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW look at it, aint it lovely ? a brand new bouncing NOT SO baby Dome weighing in at 500,000 blocks

CharmingCharlie totally not compensating for certain inadequacies said:

I am so totally and utterly done with domes now. This is definitely absolutely the last dome

until next time <<sighs>>

Oh yeah and woohoo they have removed that bloody awful void fog in 1.8 I am off to do a lil dance in celebration.

Crispy75

EDIT: HOLY SHITBALLS DOMEGASM

The issue is that Minecraft is a globe-spanning megahit that's still being run like an indie game. In the age of Steam, PSN etc., why does installing minecraft mods involve navigating the malware-infested underbelly of the net? Why are the basic tools needed to run a server provided by 3rd parties? Mojang have enough money to solve all of minecraft's ills. I wish they would.

Fuchsdh

Beautiful curvature on that dome. Very nice. And I'll miss void fog, just not to the degree that it blinded you at the bottom.

awesome dome.

what kind of shader/textures are you using?

In game I use sphax bd but the pictures you see here are actually renders from a program called Chunky. I downloaded the map and rendered the dome build in it. It's the only way to see the whole dome thanks to the crappy draw distance in minecraft.

Anybody else on Mirk's server noticing a general performace drop since the update that removed MFFS? I used to be getting a solid 40 around my base, now it's at 10 or so, and ArtistDude was noticing similar issues.

I was at Art's base last night and didn't have any issues. Haven't experienced any issues at my base either. Have either of you tried completely removing the modpack?

I finally created a nether portal only to find out that I'm close enough to Art that Minecraft decided we should share the same portal. Now I have to figure out a transportation solution from his base to mine. Damn you, Art!

On another unrelated note ..... AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW look at it, aint it lovely ? a brand new bouncing NOT SO baby Dome weighing in at 500,000 blocks

Looks amazing! Grats on finishing, I know I couldn't of done it w/o losing my sanity :p

I was at Art's base last night and didn't have any issues. Haven't experienced any issues at my base either. Have either of you tried completely removing the modpack?

I finally created a nether portal only to find out that I'm close enough to Art that Minecraft decided we should share the same portal. Now I have to figure out a transportation solution from his base to mine. Damn you, Art!

You finally made a portal?! No need for transportation, I'll fix your portal from the nether :)

Just tried a fresh install of the modpack and I'm still getting ~20 FPS no matter where I am. Dat choppiness.
Edit: After playing a while, it does feel slightly better for some reason, despite getting the same framerate...

-Minsc-

I am so totally and utterly done with domes now. This is definitely absolutely the last dome

until next time <<sighs>>

Oh yeah and woohoo they have removed that bloody awful void fog in 1.8 I am off to do a lil dance in celebration.

So, what's the official cup size?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Went on earlier today for a bit and everything seems to be working just fine, even picked up a piece of dirt and placed it back then got horribly mutilated by a zombie. Where's the server located anyhow? I noticed my ping is quite nice :D

So, what's the official cup size?

I believe the cup size is "phhwooarrrr ello there darling" that is of course using the UK Bra measurement standard.

Went on earlier today for a bit and everything seems to be working just fine, even picked up a piece of dirt and placed it back then got horribly mutilated by a zombie. Where's the server located anyhow? I noticed my ping is quite nice :D

Woohoo I got something right for once. Glad it all worked and yeah you need to be wary on Gafland. The server is on hardcore mode so the Zombies tend to be a bit more mental than your average zombies. The server is based in the UK and it is a great source of entertainment hearing the Americans moan about their ping times ;-)

You finally made a portal?! No need for transportation, I'll fix your portal from the nether :)

Just tried a fresh install of the modpack and I'm still getting ~20 FPS no matter where I am. Dat choppiness.
Edit: After playing a while, it does feel slightly better for some reason, despite getting the same framerate...

Thanks for the portal fix! I went to your base and sat around for about 5 minutes. 60FPS the whole time, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'd like to think it's Microblocks of something, but that should impact everybody the same.

Crispy75

What does it mean to be 'pre-released'? Is it released or not?

This is the version that will be available in the launcher on Tuesday. It's available now if you have "development builds" turned on, just in case there's any show-stopping bugs they haven't caught.

Thanks for the portal fix! I went to your base and sat around for about 5 minutes. 60FPS the whole time, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'd like to think it's Microblocks of something, but that should impact everybody the same.

I'm not getting poor performance just at my base, it's the entire game since the removal of the shield mod thingy.

Maybe you just have a beast PC. I just updated my Java and display drivers and I'm still getting ~20fps on the GAFpack server.

On regular MC (+Optifine), I get a steady 70fps (I have it capped to that).

Ranger X

That list of change is amazing!!

- World borders! -- my dreams of conquering a finite world coming true?

- 32 more chunks of draw distance!

BUT... about mob heads, I don't see them in the changelist... are they finally collectable in survival? I really want that. This would make my spelunking fun again unless it really is a stupid way to get them (like exploding a creeper).

woolley

- 32 more chunks of draw distance!

BUT... about mob heads, I don't see them in the changelist... are they finally collectable in survival? I really want that. This would make my spelunking fun again unless it really is a stupid way to get them (like exploding a creeper).

Not just an exploding creeper but you have to kill a mob by blowing up a super charged creeper to get the mob head.

Fuchsdh

This is Mojang levels of stupid
I have seen a charged creeper once in the entire time I have been playing minecraft

Yeah there doesn't seem to be a way to even somewhat effectively farm it. And rain/thunder are global right, so there's no "best biome" to try it?

NihonTiger on NeoCraft - 110 - The Walls That We Build is live. Kind of heavy stuff in today's episode but you can see what I've been working on lately and why I've been asking for dirt from folks.

Speaking of which, if you have extra dirt, you can donate it. :3

I'm picturing Nihon hulking out in my head, and it's pretty funny.

Randam

You're very likely to die in the Nether by falling into lava or having lava flow over you, meaning you'll lose all of your items. So it's best to use armor you don't care about, rather than diamond armor which can be difficult to come by.

but do you stand a chance with iron armor in the nether?

Bentles

but do you stand a chance with iron armor in the nether?

So long as you don't go looking for trouble the nether isn't bad. Take a bow and some arrows to get rid of ghasts and you can get by on iron armour or less. Just be careful around pigmen and avoid wither skeletons and you're fine.

I'm not getting poor performance just at my base, it's the entire game since the removal of the shield mod thingy.

Maybe you just have a beast PC. I just updated my Java and display drivers and I'm still getting ~20fps on the GAFpack server.

On regular MC (+Optifine), I get a steady 70fps (I have it capped to that).

I'm going to PM you with a couple questions. This may take a bit since MFFS' removal came at the same time I updated more than half of the mods, so it could be a number of things. I'll start checking the ones I updated to see if anyone else has been having the same issues outside of our server.

^ My top priorities are setting MapWriter open map (M), Mekanism mode switch (F), IC2 mode switch (whatever).

Everything else I don't care about until I actually have to use'em :p

Vlad

^ My top priorities are setting MapWriter open map (M), Mekanism mode switch (F), IC2 mode switch (whatever).

Everything else I don't care about until I actually have to use'em :p

What he said. Don't try and go through and configure every single mod's key bindings, just stick with what you need. I've got one key I don't really use (L) as the dumping ground for everything that I don't use that's conflicting with the stuff that I do.

And speaking of the modded server, I won the space race that nobody else was participating in!

A nighttime liftoff:
p90f5Cu.png

Higher and higher:
feX0Tql.png

To the moon!
HzBx9Ux.png

A sucessful touchdown!
yeVvDCQ.png

Mingling with the locals...
F8r0WT0.png

... and admiring the scenery!
nDFyrhi.png

You can even set up a space station above the Overworld:
RqQSsfc.png

You start off with just a box, but apparently Galacticraft has enough functionality to allow for a completely self-sustatining bases in space and on other planets, so server residents can hopefully look forward to moon resorts in the future.

Ranger X

Not just an exploding creeper but you have to kill a mob by blowing up a super charged creeper to get the mob head.

I thought so. This is beyond stupid. Its just like if they weren't collectable.

Receiving them as rare drops or after you kill 1000 of a certain mob would have been rewarding. Not this charged creeper crap. Seriously.

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

belushy

Banned

Yeah, I really liked Mindcrack's use of world borders for their MP server this season, and I think I might do something similar, or just have it locked at 2000x2000 or something.

Top Bottom