• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ranger X

Yeah, I really liked Mindcrack's use of world borders for their MP server this season, and I think I might do something similar, or just have it locked at 2000x2000 or something.

sweet spot for me would probably be between 3000 and 5000 blocks. Can't wait to try a new sp world.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Wait 1.8 is on the brink of release? Oh shittttt

I've been playing in 1.8 for some time now, it's great. Really adds a lot of awesome stuff, plus my game runs faster and smoother even with it set at 32 chunk draw distance!

Vlad

Ah, it's a beautiful day, as it looks like ThaumCraft has been updated to run on 1.7.10! Great news for the GafPack!

Apparently Thaumic Tinkerer is also updated, but it's only a dev version at the moment, so it might not be worth it, for stability's sake. If you guys do end up adding Thaumcraft to the pack, though, the world will definitely need to be regenerated. The ores and aura nodes are pretty critical.

Ah, it's a beautiful day, as it looks like ThaumCraft has been updated to run on 1.7.10! Great news for the GafPack!

Apparently Thaumic Tinkerer is also updated, but it's only a dev version at the moment, so it might not be worth it, for stability's sake. If you guys do end up adding Thaumcraft to the pack, though, the world will definitely need to be regenerated. The ores and aura nodes are pretty critical.

Regenerating the world with a new ore isn't that big of a hassle. Takes about 5 minutes longer to load the server, but that's it. I'll talk to Mirk about whether or not we're adding it. Last time we had it a few people were unhappy to find out the corruption ended up beside their base.

I've been playing in 1.8 for some time now, it's great. Really adds a lot of awesome stuff, plus my game runs faster and smoother even with it set at 32 chunk draw distance!

I may have asked this already but I don't remember the answer - is it possible to upgrade to 1.8 in the current game I'm playing, or will I have to start a new world?

Bentles

Oooh I like that mod.

kennah

I may have asked this already but I don't remember the answer - is it possible to upgrade to 1.8 in the current game I'm playing, or will I have to start a new world?
You can always update your world, but need to explore to newly generated territory to get any New blocks

Vlad

Regenerating the world with a new ore isn't that big of a hassle. Takes about 5 minutes longer to load the server, but that's it. I'll talk to Mirk about whether or not we're adding it. Last time we had it a few people were unhappy to find out the corruption ended up beside their base.

Well, the taint is definitely containable as of the last version I played a few months back, and it's nowhere near as bad as wisp-o-rama that Thaumcraft 3 was.

You can always update your world, but need to explore to newly generated territory to get any New blocks

It's not just the new blocks, but the aura nodes that get scattered around the world.

Ahhh I see I see. Well that's cool too 'cause it'll give me reason to set out on new adventures!

It's not just the new blocks, but the aura nodes that get scattered around the world.

Sorry, "aura nodes"? I've never heard of those before? :O

Edit: Ah that appears to be from a mod.

Bentles

Wow, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTk8iTj4tfk&list=UUClteACqOmNxVuzpB0O5KZw

I've been looking for a nice simple lag-independent elevator for my base and this is it! I got excited and installed it this morning. I'm gonna put a slime block at the bottom when we hit 1.8

EDIT: OMG this is amazing! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHojEwMJj2U&index=22&list=UUClteACqOmNxVuzpB0O5KZw
Zombie slaves!

Might not make sense without the previous video which explains the mechanic he is taking advantage of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTs5cYnkkto&index=23&list=UUClteACqOmNxVuzpB0O5KZw

Vlad

By the way, anybody on the GAFPack server who's interested in trying to go to the moon, a word of warning: Don't die up there.

Apparently if you die on the moon, the mod's configured to respawn you on the moon, but since you don't have the little luxuries like an oxygen mask, you'll be stuck in an endless cycle of respawning and dying a slow, airless death. It looks like you respawn near where you landed, so setting up your re-entry rocket before setting out to explore would be a good idea.

Conversely, it looks like this option can be changed (and I know I'm all for it, otherwise I'm going to need a rescue party). It's in config\Galacticraft\core.conf. "B:"Force Overworld Spawn"=false" needs to be changed to "true".

Vlad

You on now? I'll save you! And we wont be changing it. :p

I'll be on in a second, and why not change it? It's one thing to make things difficult, which I'm all for, but this can end up completely trapping you with no hope of escape aside from admin intervention.

hepburn3d

wow. The 32 bit render distance in 1.8 is insane!!!! Once the world has loaded it's ccrazy how far you can see now. I've been getting some random 4fps lag randomly but I'm hoping it's something to do with the pre-release, otherwise this game just got a huge visual improvement

Crispy75

wow. The 32 bit render distance in 1.8 is insane!!!! Once the world has loaded it's ccrazy how far you can see now. I've been getting some random 4fps lag randomly but I'm hoping it's something to do with the pre-release, otherwise this game just got a huge visual improvement

It's incredible. Also, the terrain loading/generation is so much better. I'm scouting around 1000s of blocks north of spawn in a Creative version of the GAFland seed (searching for potential 1.8 outpost sites). Terrain generates as fast as you can look at it. Fantastic :)

Crispy75

It's incredible. Also, the terrain loading/generation is so much better. I'm scouting around 1000s of blocks north of spawn in a Creative version of the GAFland seed (searching for potential 1.8 outpost sites). Terrain generates as fast as you can look at it. Fantastic :)

Speaking of which - Mods - what's the current extent of explored world? Any chance of a top-down map or a world download?

Crispy75

I tried to do view-distance = 32 on an offline backup of my server, and it just grinds to a halt. Get about 1 frame every 10 seconds.

It's probably memory running out. Edit your profile in the launcher and in "JVM arguments" (at the bottom of the window) add

-Xmx2048M

or however many megs you want to give it. I'm seeing 1,000-1,500 in use when flying around with 32 chunk view distance.

hepburn3d

It's probably memory running out. Edit your profile in the launcher and in "JVM arguments" (at the bottom of the window) add

-Xmx2048M

or however many megs you want to give it. I'm seeing 1,000-1,500 in use when flying around with 32 chunk view distance.

I've been wondering about this. Is this memory on your graphics card or RAM in you system?

I'm crossing my fingers for RAM on my system as I have 16GB waiting to be used.

-Xmx2048M

This definitely helped. Still only about 10 FPS with lag spikes, but it's doable just for fun.

Crispy75

I've been wondering about this. Is this memory on your graphics card or RAM in you system?

I'm crossing my fingers for RAM on my system as I have 16GB waiting to be used.

System. MC is pretty aggressive with its RAM conservation, so you won't need to allocate more than 2GB

Mengy

Yeah, the doubled draw distance is great. On my system I only really have problems in the nether ironically enough. When I spend long periods in the nether I cut it back to 20 for draw distance, if I leave it at 32 it chugs periodically for some reason. Might be all the lava flowing.

Speaking of which - Mods - what's the current extent of explored world? Any chance of a top-down map or a world download?

I just got back from vacation but I'll see if I can make a new updated map.

hepburn3d

System. MC is pretty aggressive with its RAM conservation, so you won't need to allocate more than 2GB

Yep this fixed it. 60fps with 32 render distance is ... is ... beautiful. Curious thought that they would allow a 32 draw distance toggle (in game) but not make use of the 2GB extra needed of RAM (out of game toggle). Maybe this will be fixed in the full release. Is it 4096mb to use 4GB? I know it wont need it but I want to force it to use that, then go test high speed viewing to it's limits.

Blizzard

Banned
The render distance and performance improvement sounds awesome. I may have to give Minecraft a run again! I was playing it back in the prerelease days and early preorders, I'll probably have no idea what most of the new stuff does. :p

The other thing I would really love would be if there is a mod or an nVidia override way of forcing clean anti-aliasing on block edges. I'm pretty sure Notch does not like anti-aliased edges, but I do!

Vlad

I'll be updating Mirk's server tonight. A lot of the core mods got updated with there being 24 total updated mods.

Always good to hear.

What is it that people have against the modded servers, anyway? Every time there's a modded GAF server, it never seems to get as much interest as the vanilla one. Even if you don't want to deal with any of the more technical mods, there's still plenty of interesting things to do and build.

Mirk

Always good to hear.

What is it that people have against the modded servers, anyway? Every time there's a modded GAF server, it never seems to get as much interest as the vanilla one. Even if you don't want to deal with any of the more technical mods, there's still plenty of interesting things to do and build.

Most peeps don't want to deal with the hassle that comes with playing on a modded server.
It might not be much but at times mods can be a headache. Also if your pc can just barely run minecraft as is mods will just make it an unplayable mess lol.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Always good to hear.

People have to dig around for it, since the post with the info is buried in the thread. If it was in the OP like the vanilla one, it might get more attention.

There are people that are really weird about mods and outright refuse to even try them just because it's not ~*vanilla*~, which is really strange to me, and then there are people like me who can't really run mods anymore because my computer is so shit.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about. There's never really that many people on the vanilla server either.

woolley

Always good to hear.

Well I tend to not like playing on custom mods because they tend to have more problems then premade packs and I don't really want to download a bunch of different launchers just to play on a specific server that I want to.

Vlad

People have to dig around for it, since the post with the info is buried in the thread. If it was in the OP like the vanilla one, it might get more attention.

Hmm, I guess until that's remedied I'll have to be sure to plug the Modded GAF Server every chance I get.

Most peeps don't want to deal with the hassle that comes with playing on a modded server.
It might not be much but at times mods can be a headache. Also if your pc can just barely run minecraft as is mods will just make it an unplayable mess lol.

Hmm, good points. I always figured that since I always seem to have the least powerful PC by far that everybody else would be fine performance-wise.

woolley said:
Well I tend to not like playing on custom mods because they tend to have more problems then premade packs and I don't really want to download a bunch of different launchers just to play on a specific server that I want to.

Hm, as far as I've seen, most people either stick with FTB or Technic for launchers, neither of which is much of a hassle to deal with. The pack that Mirk put together is actually running quite nicely, now that a few of the kinks have been ironed out. There's not the sheer volume of mods that there are in the FTB packs, so it's a lot more manageable.

dryuriev7777 said:
There are people that are really weird about mods and outright refuse to even try them just because it's not ~*vanilla*~, which is really strange to me, and then there are people like me who can't really run mods anymore because my computer is so shit.

Also, I'm not sure what you're talking about. There's never really that many people on the vanilla server either.

Hm, the few times I've stuck my head in the vanilla server there's always been a bunch of people in there. Of course, the last time that I was on was a long while ago.

By the way, if you're still on the same system you were on the last time I saw you on Mirk's servers, come on over to the new one! I'd say performance is pretty much the same, if not a bit better.

By the way, if you're still on the same system you were on the last time I saw you on Mirk's servers, come on over to the new one! I'd say performance is pretty much the same, if not a bit better.

I tried. The problem is my os is 32 bit and I can't increase the ram unless I'm running 64 bit. A lot of times it won't go past the launcher and when it does it really runs horribly. I'm not sure what all has really changed since moving from Mirk's last server to this one, but my computer just can't handle it.

Bentles

Always good to hear.

I think for some it's the lack of permanence. The way these servers seem to go, eventually some mod or other goes wonky and the game starts chugging along and the server dies. Or people just lose interest and then all the stuff you worked on is gone. I'd like what I build to be around for a while.

There's also a lot of technical mods to get into. Nothing too difficult to understand but nothing easy enough not to have to look things up on a wiki to make it actually work. That's a pretty big time sink.

Either way I'd like to play on the modded server but I don't even have the time to play on the normal one at the moment.

Crispy75

Quite apart from the mess I've always got myself into when trying to mod minecraft in the past, the Time and Permanence reasons are why I stick to Gafland. I only get snatches of gaming time these days and I don't want to waste them on a world that might not exist in some months time. I can reasonably assume that Gafland will be around for another year at least, so it feels like a worthwhile use of my time to build there.

Also, I'm really only in it for the architecture, and don't really feel the need for crazy contraptions. All the new blocks in 1.8, however..... :)

Morokh

I don't especially care about permanence myself, and I'm usually extremely big about mods in other games even when it is a hassle to make them work together, but with Minecraft I just don't feel any urge to tinker with them.

Mengy

What is it that people have against the modded servers, anyway? Every time there's a modded GAF server, it never seems to get as much interest as the vanilla one.

There are people that are really weird about mods and outright refuse to even try them just because it's not ~*vanilla*~, which is really strange to me.

Yeah, I'm kind of one of those "weird" vanilla only crazy people. It's not that I have anything against Minecraft mods, someday I'll mess around with them, it's just that for me personally the stock game is more than enough to keep me hooked, enthralled, and playing regularly. I just don't see the need to make the game overly more complicated or "deep". Most of my favorite mods are the ones that simply add atmospheric stuff like birds and animals, and maybe a few of the monster mods. Still, I don't play with any mods at all 95% of the time. The regular snapshots adding stuff is more than enough new content to keep me playing for the past four years.

I guess you could say I'm a Minecraft purist of sorts. :D

To those of you who do play Vanilla exclusively, what is there to do now? Serious question as I haven't played Vanilla MC in over 3 years. I think the last time I touched it was before 1.0.

I guess I'm trying to figure out how much there really is to do without mods.

Crispy75

To those of you who do play Vanilla exclusively, what is there to do now? Serious question as I haven't played Vanilla MC in over 3 years. I think the last time I touched it was before 1.0.

I think your question is a bit outside the scope of a single forum post!

Start at the bottom of http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Version_history and work your way up :-D

Mengy

What is there to DO?

Are you saying that you find vanilla MC boring due to the lack of complexity? See, I've been playing this game for over four years now, all of that vanilla, and I've not yet run out of "things to do". I have over a dozen single player worlds, the last of which is over two years old now. I build, I spelunk, I explore, I experiment with redstone contraptions. When I need more resources I mine or go hunting. I've built mountain bases, underground cites, pyramids, huge towers, underwater bases. I've explored thousands of blocks of land. Honestly I wish I had more time to play the damn game because I have so much yet that I want to "do".

Minecraft is very much a game where you create your own goals as you play. I suppose some people just need more direction or guidance? I've never seemed to have that dilemma.

bengraven

Hey guys! Haven't played in over two years on the server due to moving into a situation with a really bad DSL connection. I'm assuming we wiped the map a while ago (the one with Pioneer Town, Dome City, etc). Did we ever get the file shared? I gotta keep my old buildings as archived forms in MCEdit to keep them together forever.

It's crazy how despite being so out of the community again, I was still consistently playing the same game and Minecraft has suddenly become a huge thing again in my household.

Since I played my son has reached age 6 and suddenly has become a massive Minecraft fan in the last year or two. Minecraft posters on the walls, shirts, a Creeper hat, stuffed animals (ocelot, creeper, enderman, pig), the Jaxx action figures (Enderman, zombie, Steve, Creeper). There isn't a day that goes by that he isn't playing, whether on this massively trippy PC version or together with me on the PS3.

I used to joke about people playing Minecraft with Asperger's, but now it's kind of in my face since my son was diagnosed and frankly it's pretty great. He's just recently started emulating my houses a bit to try and figure out how to make them look like me, but most of the time he doesn't care. He'll build a mile long glowstone/diamond block line across the horizon or giant glass labs with tons of switches and doors.

He also makes these very small recreations of Plants vs. Zombies (another game he loves) battles in the middle of nowhere (he loves the armor stands with zombie heads now). I built him a full recreation of the game with spawning zombie buttons and little arrow shooting spitters at the end, but that wasn't very fun for him after a while. ha

On our PS3 game he does much of the same, though he hates that we're so far behind in all the new blocks and toys. He really really wants the bouncing slime blocks on the PS3, since it's where we play the most. He builds his little creations and labs ("Graven Labs" he calls it) and I started building a massive castle city on the other side of the world. He has a habit of breaking blocks on accident and replacing the blocks with pumpkins for some reason. So I'm inspecting my massive fields, market district, slums area, going to the fountains district and half my wizard tower is askew and made of pumpkins. "Did you do that?" "nope". "Are you sure?" Sorry. "Why not use the actual blocks to replace and not pumpkins". He shrugs.

Some day we'll have a second PC and I'm going to have him jump on GAF and give him a tour of a world made by other people. I think it will blow his mind, especially seeing other people and he'll be hooked all over again.

To those of you who do play Vanilla exclusively, what is there to do now?

I obviously don't play exclusively, but, since 1.0? Oh man... Uh.. Build things using new blocks... Explore some more... Uhh... Trade with villagers.... Ride a pig or a horse... Uhm... Kill a Wither...

In my honest opinion, vanilla MC is severely lacking in content.

I suppose some people just need more direction or guidance? I've never seemed to have that dilemma.

I have this problem so bad. I have in my mind what I want to do, and once I complete it, I get bored in an instant. I can't even play SP because I get so bored, especially with no interaction with others.

Starting a new map on a server is always what gets me hooked because there are always things that need to be done. Then I get on a modded server and there is soooooo much more to do until I get complacent with what I have done.

Minecraft is very much a game where you create your own goals as you play. I suppose some people just need more direction or guidance? I've never seemed to have that dilemma.

I've spent all of my time in vanilla MC with friends who always figured out something for us all to do. I briefly played with my nephew a few weeks ago, but we did what he wanted to do and got me wondering what you actually do in vanilla MC outside of build.

I am definitely someone who needs goals to keep things interesting. Skimming some of the patch notes, it does seem like redstone contraptions might be an interesting thing to try within vanilla MC.

Bentles

I've spent all of my time in vanilla MC with friends who always figured out something for us all to do. I briefly played with my nephew a few weeks ago, but we did what he wanted to do and got me wondering what you actually do in vanilla MC outside of build.

I am definitely someone who needs goals to keep things interesting. Skimming some of the patch notes, it does seem like redstone contraptions might be an interesting thing to try within vanilla MC.

Yeah. If you can get yourself to learn how it works, conceptualising and building redstone devices that actually make your life easier is one of the most satisfying things to do in the game. You can always copy stuff but I find it way more rewarding to try and design things myself.

It also means you can make cool minigames and never play them lol.

Ranger X

Yeah, I'm kind of one of those "weird" vanilla only crazy people. It's not that I have anything against Minecraft mods, someday I'll mess around with them, it's just that for me personally the stock game is more than enough to keep me hooked, enthralled, and playing regularly. I just don't see the need to make the game overly more complicated or "deep". Most of my favorite mods are the ones that simply add atmospheric stuff like birds and animals, and maybe a few of the monster mods. Still, I don't play with any mods at all 95% of the time. The regular snapshots adding stuff is more than enough new content to keep me playing for the past four years.

I guess you could say I'm a Minecraft purist of sorts. :D

Me and you

*bro fist*

Hey guys! Haven't played in over two years on the server due to moving into a situation with a really bad DSL connection. I'm assuming we wiped the map a while ago (the one with Pioneer Town, Dome City, etc). Did we ever get the file shared? I gotta keep my old buildings as archived forms in MCEdit to keep them together forever.

The Neocraft world is still on the server, it is our Creative world now. The server is currently running a mod called Multi-world which allows us to have more than 1 world. We have Neocraft and Gafland on there (our hardcore survival world).

So the Neocraft world is still alive and well and yes Otamin still hasn't finished his bloody Disney park. If you want I can make a copy of Neocraft available for download on Dropbox.

As for the mods discussion basically it is too much of a pain in the arse getting Vanilla minecraft running without attaching a whole bunch of other crap onto it. Plus the key reason I stick with Arks server is simply that is where my projects are and as you have seen my projects tend to stretch into bloody months of work. So I am way too invested in Arks server to try any other server.

Top Bottom