• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

I'm just saying being a Minecraft 'purist' isn't really a good reason to not try mods considering a lot of the mods, including all the ones that Mirk has used on his server, don't change anything vanilla-wise. If you want to stick with vanilla, you can, but there's also other stuff included should you choose to explore it and at your own pace at that. Nothing in those mods forces you to forego what vanilla offers beyond vanilla being slightly more stable.

It's not about making the game complicated or deep, it's about exploring what the game is capable of without sacrificing what made it great in the first place. And even if you find it complicated, it's not like there aren't people here who can help you. I'm not even saying people should stop playing vanilla/ark's server; just keep an open mind and try to enjoy what Minecraft could be in different hands.

Vlad

Just another heads up for the Modded Server people. There appears to have been a minor glitch with the last group of updates, and Mekanism power cables don't seem to be supplying power to Ender IO machines any more. I've got a SAG Mill that isn't getting power, and ArtistDude's powered spawner wasn't working either. The Extra Utilities energy transfer node does seem to work, though. Feel free to use the QED at my place if you need to craft one.

Ranger X

I'm just saying being a Minecraft 'purist' isn't really a good reason to not try mods considering a lot of the mods, including all the ones that Mirk has used on his server, don't change anything vanilla-wise. If you want to stick with vanilla, you can, but there's also other stuff included should you choose to explore it and at your own pace at that. Nothing in those mods forces you to forego what vanilla offers beyond vanilla being slightly more stable.

It's not about making the game complicated or deep, it's about exploring what the game is capable of without sacrificing what made it great in the first place. And even if you find it complicated, it's not like there aren't people here who can help you. I'm not even saying people should stop playing vanilla/ark's server; just keep an open mind and try to enjoy what Minecraft could be in different hands.

I guess Mengy is having a similar opinion about this. Even if mods are available and don't interfere with the vanilla game, we don't feel to need to have them in the game since tha vanilla part captivates us completely. If I'd do like you say and explore those mods at my own pace, I would try them in a distant futur only anyways since the vanilla part is still enough for me. I always said to myself "when I'll become tired of this game I will play with mods to extend its life". Well, I don't even feel I am near that point...

hepburn3d

The only mod I really tend to use is a map mod so I can see where other players are, otherwise we tend to get lost pretty fast in new worlds. I've played Minecraft for about 4 years now. I've yet to not think of something to do.It's almost the same as putting someone in the real world and them saying I've run out of things to do :D

That said I would really like them to introduce some way of flying without mods. Doubt it will happen but I'd love a gyrocopter like far cry 4. Even if it was the hardest thing to ever build, it would make for an amazing way to navigate.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I guess Mengy is having a similar opinion about this. Even if mods are available and don't interfere with the vanilla game, we don't feel to need to have them in the game since tha vanilla part captivates us completely. If I'd do like you say and explore those mods at my own pace, I would try them in a distant futur only anyways since the vanilla part is still enough for me. I always said to myself "when I'll become tired of this game I will play with mods to extend its life". Well, I don't even feel I am near that point...

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel. I don't have anything against mods, in fact I think there are some really exceptional ones for Minecraft, and I've always told myself that when I get tired of the game I'll start dabbling in mods to juice it up. I just haven't reached that point yet, not even close. The vanilla game with the regular updates has been more than enough to keep me entertained.

-Minsc-

For me the decision to not use mods boiled down to time. There was only so much time I could devote to Minecraft and that was taken by NeoCraft.

Edit: Good points above. I suspect I'll try out mods more in-depth after Mojang stops formally supporting and updating the game. By that time the game will have a core sense of stability and modders will have the change to polish their creations without worry of all their hard work being thrown to the curb due to coding changes by Mojang. Imagine, stable modded server.

Fuchsdh

If Mojang or a third party made Minecraft mods not suck, I'd possibly try them out more. But the "X uses Forge, Y uses Magic Loader, Z doesn't require Forge but breaks Optifine" three-dimensional chess you have to use is personally more than I want to deal with. I'm happy on the server just building with some people to chat with and their creations to check out.

bengraven

I'm still completely vanilla, but the kid keeps asking to get into mods. Once 1.8 is out and forge gets updated I'll probably start experimenting. Nothing that fucks with the original game too much like replacing things. Mostly game modes like the Pokemon mod or something.

The Neocraft world is still on the server, it is our Creative world now. The server is currently running a mod called Multi-world which allows us to have more than 1 world. We have Neocraft and Gafland on there (our hardcore survival world).

So the Neocraft world is still alive and well and yes Otamin still hasn't finished his bloody Disney park. If you want I can make a copy of Neocraft available for download on Dropbox.

As for the mods discussion basically it is too much of a pain in the arse getting Vanilla minecraft running without attaching a whole bunch of other crap onto it. Plus the key reason I stick with Arks server is simply that is where my projects are and as you have seen my projects tend to stretch into bloody months of work. So I am way too invested in Arks server to try any other server.

Nah, if it's still up and running I'll try and hop on one of these days. Being in creative mode is a huge plus - I can finally finish my swamp mansion without the constant grind I was looking at. :p

NotSelf

Hi hopefully someone here can help me so I tried the demo and everything works fine the only problem I seem to have is i'm getting a jitter movement from the camera when turning 360 degrees using joytokey on the right stick of a DS3 controller.

Any help or recommended settings and alternatives would be appreciated.

Thank you:)

This is a PSA for the Missing (i.e Ark and Minsc) hey guys I think we need to switch Neocraft off again. We have so many people joining the server again that it keeps running out of RAM. So I think we need to consider switching Neocraft off. At the very least some simple "this is how you do it for morons" instructions on how I can turn Neocraft on and off would be appreciated ;-)

Ark

1369.gif

We're already on 2GB of RAM. I'm really stumped as to how to fix this. Did we have problems before? I'm only remembering having issues on this scale post-GAFLand.

We're already on 2GB of RAM. I'm really stumped as to how to fix this. Did we have problems before? I'm only remembering having issues on this scale post-GAFLand.

I think it is just a case of having two many worlds running. It is fine in 2gbs if there are only 3 or 4 players on but the minute you start getting 6 or 7 then we start running into memory issues and the server keeps resetting.

I don't think increasing memory is the solution (most of the time the 2gbs is fine) but I do think it would be useful if I knew how to disable Neocraft when usage on the server is high. Tonight we were having server resets every 10 mins with 8 people on. If I could've temporarily shut down Neocraft it would've stopped it.

-Minsc-

1369.gif

Solutions.

I have ideas of possible solutions ranging from swapping multiworld to the newer versions of multiverse to switching to a new host. Though at the moment this post is about all the effort I want to put towards such an endeavour.

Most of my time playing today consisted of placing a bunch of torches around my area away from spawn as a buffer zone from mobs. I may have gotten carried away...a tad.

Mengy

I think it is just a case of having two many worlds running. It is fine in 2gbs if there are only 3 or 4 players on but the minute you start getting 6 or 7 then we start running into memory issues and the server keeps resetting.

I don't think increasing memory is the solution (most of the time the 2gbs is fine) but I do think it would be useful if I knew how to disable Neocraft when usage on the server is high. Tonight we were having server resets every 10 mins with 8 people on. If I could've temporarily shut down Neocraft it would've stopped it.

Sadly I agree. With the entity bug in 1.7 bukkit I just don't think we can run two worlds at once. Maybe once we get upgraded to 1.8 (if that even happens now with bukkit in turmoil?) we could try multiworld again because 1.8 runs SO much smoother than 1.7, but I just don't think two worlds at once works with 1.7.

I think we have to pick only one to keep online for now: either Neocraft or GAFland.

Mengy

Gafland, obviously :)

(ps: map?)

I generated the map last night and started uploading it to dropbox but it's not done yet. My ISP is super slow so uploading takes for freakin ever. It might be done by tomorrow sometime, I'll post here when it's complete.

Crispy75

I generated the map last night and started uploading it to dropbox but it's not done yet. My ISP is super slow so uploading takes for freakin ever. It might be done by tomorrow sometime, I'll post here when it's complete.

Blimey. The effort is appreciated!

BOY HOWDY it sure would have been nice to know that the removal of Neocraft was a sure fire totally 100% absolutely gonna do today right now thing so I could have moved over to Gafland before signing in tonight and falling to my almost-death in the middle of nowhere because the game freaked out about me being on the Neocraft side when I left the server this morning.

Ya'll are dicks.

And by "ya'll", I mean Minsc.

-Minsc-

BOY HOWDY it sure would have been nice to know that the removal of Neocraft was a sure fire totally 100% absolutely gonna do today right now thing so I could have moved over to Gafland before signing in tonight and falling to my almost-death in the middle of nowhere because the game freaked out about me being on the Neocraft side when I left the server this morning.

Ya'll are dicks.

If it makes everyone feel better I fell to my death upon login. This was with logging at Spawn.

Ya'll are dicks.

But Shulk PLEASE UNDERSTAND I can now turn Neocraft on and off on my own whim. This means you and Otamin can have your little playpen but when times are busy and the server is crashing I can temporarily turn Neocraft off so we can all still play. It's just an extra bonus that it killed you and annoyed the hell out of ya ;-)

But yeah Minsc got things sorted out last night. To give people an idea of how much the server was struggling with Neocraft turned off server RAM usage drops by 700mbs down to just using 800mbs.

So from now on if you join the server and Neocraft isn't running just ask me and I will switch it on. However as illustrated by the illustrious Mr DryShulkuriev7777 it is best if you warp to Gafland before you leave the game.

Vlad

Come one, come all, and let me tell you a story of (potential) woe.

In my quest to avoid ever having to legitimately fight a Wither, I've been spending my time on a solution that would use the mods available in the current modded server. Normally I'd just armor the heck out of myself, down some potions, and use a jetpack while attacking it from a decent range with a Thaumcraft wand. However, since Thaumcraft only recently updated and isn't on the server anyway, I needed another approach. There's also a mod on there that makes monsters occasionally spawn as "special" versions, with drastically increased health, damage, and other bonuses. ArtistDude found out the hard way that this also applies to Withers, and the one he spawned was a special one that completely annihilated us. Wishing to avoid any sort of fair fight, I read up on what mods were on the server, and disovered this:

Gr8jV2j.png

That is compressed cobblestone, added by Extra Utilities. The block on the far left is regular cobblestone, the second one is Compressed Cobblestone, made with nine cobblestone. The next one is Double-Compressed Cobblestone, made with nine Compressed cobblestone, and so on, all the way up to Octuple-Compressed Cobblestone on the far right.

As it turns out, Septuple and Octuple-Compressed Cobblestone are 100% Wither-resistant! They can't blast through them with projectiles, and the blocks aren't even destroyed by the explosion when a wither spawns. After some testing in single-player, I found a good arrangement of Septuple-Compressed that would contain the Wither while also giving me a safe spot to stand to minimize the impact of the projectiles it would be firing. It was a great plan, and all it would take is cobblestone!

Lots of cobblestone.

An obscene amount of cobblestone.

I don't think you understand how much cobblestone this would require.

Let's look at the numbers.

One block of Compressed Cobblestone takes 9 cobblestone, so 9^1.

Double-Compressed is nine of those, so 81, or 9^2, and so on.

A single block of Septuple-Compressed cobblestone requires over 4.7 MILLION cobblestone to produce.

For reference, if I were to use a quarry (the popular automated digging machine), and through some fluke of terrain generation, managed to dig up solid cobblestone from level 60 to level 1, over a 64x64 area, that would only give me 245,760 cobblestone, or about 5% of one block. That would require far too much babysitting, so another approach was in order. After some experimentation, here's what I ended up with:

VvO8EFm.png

That's my place on Mirk's server. As you can tell, I often get too distracted by all the pretty toys on these servers to make much more than a cobblestone box, but enough about that. Take a look at the tall thing reaching past the clouds. That's four columns of machines (Igneous Extruders) doing nothing but generating cobblestone, 272 machines in total. I sunk an ungodly amount of copper and iron into that, and let's look at how well they work.

A single machine generates one cobblestone every two seconds according to the wiki, so that's 136 cobblestone every second. A little more math tells us that a single Septuple-Compressed Cobblestone every 10 hours or so. Account for server downtime and any other weird hiccups, let's call it two of them a day.

It turns out that I needed twenty-seven blocks of the stuff, so we're looking at two weeks of waiting to produce the nearly 134 million cobblestone necessary

In the meantime, I went to the moon, messed around with other stuff, always going back and checking the progress on the cobble. The last day was the worst. I had made a mockup of my Wither trap in a secluded spot in the nether, in case it didn't work, and was slowly replacing the dirt with the Septuple-Compressed as it was coming out of the auto-crafting setup. I spent far too much time last night just going back to it, willing it to be done faster.

But then, last night, the final one came off the line, and it was glorious:

b44mDXb.png

Oh sure, it may not look like much. Just some misshapen hunk of black rocks, but hey, if it worked, that meant no more worrying about loose, overpowered Withers terrorizing us.

So, in goes the soul sand and skulls:

EdOm2Ee.png

And the Wither is completely stuck!

cGZBKUz.png

It's a thing of beauty, and since the back of it is completely solid, you can stand behind it and just wail away all day long. You get hit by the occasional errant projectile, but the beast is completely contained, and killing it is a piece of cake.

So, yay, right?

Right?

Well... yes and no.

See, after killing about twenty of them (they drop stuff other than just Nether Stars with some mods), something was bugging me. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, until I realized that those little crystals (basically they're torches) that I had put on the trap itself were still there. See, when I was testing this build in single-player, the Wither would do significant damage to the area facing the open part of the trap, and when I tried to rig up some sort of piston system to encase the wither completely after the player had assembled it, he still managed to destroy the pistons and wiring through the cobblestone. Given that, I was wondering why the room I had built around the trap out of solid marble was unscathed, and all the crystal torches were still in place, then it hit me:

Monster-based terrain damage is off on the server.

Since I never did a legitimate Wither fight, I just always associated terrain damage with creepers and ghasts, and it never even occurred to me that his various explosions would also be nerfed by that setting. Horrified at what I'd find, I put a couple pieces of dirt directly in the opening of the trap right after making another Wither.

Sure enough, they were still there after the smoke cleared.

So, I spent two weeks, 272 Igneous Extruders, and 133 million cobblestone to make something I could just have easily made with 27 dirt.

Go me.

Lol that was a funny story Vlad.

Is gafland down? It looks down from here.

Just started the server up again. The server shut down because there were too many restarts. I think from now on it would be best if I unload neocraft before I go to bed that should ensure the server doesn't keep shutting down.

Bentles

I found a hilarious glitch in the pre-release and perhaps even earlier versions of the game:

If you shoot a Wolf and tame it a split second after that you will get a red wolf who chooses to live life on a 2D plane! He walks around and even jumps while sideways!

I happened upon this due to my habit of scrolling downwards to cancel a bow shot. Only I shot by accident and scrolled down and used the bone too!

I'm pretty sure it fixes itself after a relog but it's good for a laugh!

Painguy

Hey guys just wanted to say that the server is amazing. I went on last night and tried to explore everything, but I got lost. How do you guys build that stuff? Not by hand right? I mean you guys had some perfectly symmetrical shapes. If possible I'd love to join. My name is Painguy. thx

Ranger X

I wonder if someone is playing the lastest snapshot of 1.8 version with a similar machine than me?

Windows Vista 64 bits
6 go mem
Java 64 bits

Im having some shitty performance with the new snapshot. 24 chunks loaded I barely hold 30 fps (this is with no v-sync and smooth lighting at "minimum") and I play at the smallest 16:9 resolution there is, some 850 by whatever. 32 chunks loaded I am at like 20 fps.

:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
something I can do ??

hepburn3d

It's probably memory running out. Edit your profile in the launcher and in "JVM arguments" (at the bottom of the window) add

-Xmx2048M

or however many megs you want to give it. I'm seeing 1,000-1,500 in use when flying around with 32 chunk view distance.

I wonder if someone is playing the lastest snapshot of 1.8 version with a similar machine than me?

Windows Vista 64 bits
6 go mem
Java 64 bits

:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
something I can do ??

See above ^ might help. Fixed mine.

hepburn3d

tks for help but I allowed 4go over there...

And in game, its says that memory is used up at like 40% so there's room, its not that type of memory that is the problem.

What's your GPU and CPU? There has to be a bottleneck somewhere, could be these? Maybe check your CPU and GPU levels.

-Minsc-

Oh boy, 1.8.

Maybe I can finish my puzzle mansion in 2-5 months when bukkit updates. Well, if Neocraft is still around, anyways.
Chances are people will be chomping at the bit for 1.8 so I can safely predict Neocraft sitting on the back burner once the minimum required server plugins are operational.

Mengy

Chances are people will be chomping at the bit for 1.8 so I can safely predict Neocraft sitting on the back burner once the minimum required server plugins are operational.

I know I certainly am. I haven't been on the server in a few weeks because 1.8 has hooked me hardcore. I love everything about it:

- many more stone blocks to build with
- red sandstone blocks
- better enchanting
- better villager trading
- colored fences and new doors
- new water blocks
- banners

The update adds so much that a full change list would be HUGE. I'm super curious to see how the server runs once on 1.8, with the great threading and performance improvements I'm really hoping it helps the server out a ton, and I'm really hoping that horses will finally be useable without the lag. I've got huge plans to revamp my entire ravine base with the new stone and sand types. Although the more I think about it I may just start an entirely new base instead, one that would make dwarfs of all stature blush with envy....

-Minsc-

Hey, playing with creeper damage turned off is the coward's way. You did it like a real survivalist should. I'm proud of you.

Also, why didn't I get the memo!

It's not so much the coward's way, it's the "we all have lives outside of Minecraft and we don't have time to go around fixing accidental creeper hole in another persons build that some person never fixed two months ago".

Vlad

It's not so much the coward's way, it's the "we all have lives outside of Minecraft and we don't have time to go around fixing accidental creeper hole in another persons build that some person never fixed two months ago".

Yeah, while I'm usually against any sort of unnecessary advantage, I'm all for things like turning creeper damage off and the use of chunkloaders on modded servers. I know that I'd be perfectly happy dealing with any damage that's caused by my own stupidity/carelessness (like when I blew the front of my house off early on on Mirk's server with some improperly-cooled engines), but I'd feel like crap if I accidentally lead a creeper near somebody else's house.

Crispy75

Although the more I think about it I may just start an entirely new base instead, one that would make dwarfs of all stature blush with envy....

Would you accept collaborators? I've been mulling over my next project and I think it's about time for some subterranean activity.

EDIT: I presume we'll be trekking off a fair distance in the nether in order to spawn fresh 1.8 chunks far from the currently revealed world?

-Minsc-

EDIT: I presume we'll be trekking off a fair distance in the nether in order to spawn fresh 1.8 chunks far from the currently revealed world?

We can do that or I could teleport 50,000 blocks out one direction from spawn and make a creative gate link to the area. Assuming nobody has built out in the deep oceans in the existing generated areas I may be able to reload those chunks without making a big mess of things.

Mengy

We can do that or I could teleport 50,000 blocks out one direction from spawn and make a creative gate link to the area. Assuming nobody has built out in the deep oceans in the existing generated areas I may be able to reload those chunks without making a big mess of things.

The map is already big now, if we could trim it for the 1.8 patch that would be super. That would allow regeneration with the new ores. All of the new stones are craftable too with cobble and quartz.

Hmmm, I should be mining quartz like a demon right now on the server to get a stockpile while we wait to update....

-Minsc-

The map is already big now, if we could trim it for the 1.8 patch that would be super. That would allow regeneration with the new ores. All of the new stones are craftable too with cobble and quartz.

Hmmm, I should be mining quartz like a demon right now on the server to get a stockpile while we wait to update....

The thing is, it's tricky*** to trim a world without making things look like ass. Plus it's hard to know where people have hidden builds.

BTW, did I hear you were uploading an overview map Mengy?

*** Though having a decent computer and internet connection would make things easer.

Top Bottom