• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Also, if it were up to me, we'd do an entirely new map for 1.8 too. But I know that won't happen.

Well believe it or not I am kinda onboard with that idea. I feel as if the stuff I am doing on Gafland isn't really going anywhere (seriously I honest don't have a bloody clue what to do with my giant dome).

So I wouldn't be against a map reset if we want to have full access to all the new materials and resources in the game then a reset will help with that. We don't have to rush into anything though. I just postulated the idea about ditching Bukkit because like everyone else I am getting sick of waiting. It seems like we have been on 1.7 forever.

Now with all this legal bullshit about Bukkit being pulled I can see it being a lonnnnnnnngggggggggg time before we ever see a Bukkit again if ever.

Fuchsdh

I personally like the legacy of expanding on an old map, personally. I've only really got one creative map I want to work on and I don't work on it because I'd rather just shoot the shit with everyone on the server, so unless I can dump a huge chunk of it in the middle of the creative map somehow it's mostly survival for me :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Well believe it or not I am kinda onboard with that idea. I feel as if the stuff I am doing on Gafland isn't really going anywhere (seriously I honest don't have a bloody clue what to do with my giant dome).

So I wouldn't be against a map reset if we want to have full access to all the new materials and resources in the game then a reset will help with that. We don't have to rush into anything though. I just postulated the idea about ditching Bukkit because like everyone else I am getting sick of waiting. It seems like we have been on 1.7 forever.

Now with all this legal bullshit about Bukkit being pulled I can see it being a lonnnnnnnngggggggggg time before we ever see a Bukkit again if ever.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that if we can get bukkit-free then we will gain much more than we will lose (mainly the ability to update faster). I'd really be curious to do a 1.8 sans bukkit test on the server to see if we get better performance or not too. Maybe horses would finally be useable!

As for your building block CC, you just need to change it up some. You've been building domes for far too long. Maybe switch to pyramids for a bit? Or towers. Or maybe even new age plural rectangular architecture...

Bentles

Yeah, I'm starting to think that if we can get bukkit-free then we will gain much more than we will lose (mainly the ability to update faster). I'd really be curious to do a 1.8 sans bukkit test on the server to see if we get better performance or not too. Maybe horses would finally be useable!

As for your building block CC, you just need to change it up some. You've been building domes for far too long. Maybe switch to pyramids for a bit? Or towers. Or maybe even new age plural rectangular architecture...

Horses need some client-side code that I don't think has been added yet and will be as good as your latency allows them to be until it is sadly.

EDIT: Meh because I should be studying for a test and because I've done some reading and find this stuff interesting, here's what I think is happening:
In normal MC when you walk around and do stuff that's actually happening locally on your client. You'll notice how you don't experience any delay when you hit that 'w' key and move about in the world. The server is supposed to do those same movement calculations and perform corrections as needed. So if you walk straight but as you do so the server sees that somebody placed a block in front of you (which you haven't seen yet), you get snapped back and the block appears in front of you.

Now with horses the server is calculating everything. You hit 'w' and it sends a message to the server saying hey guy can I move the horse now and the server starts doing that and it gets sent back that the horse is moving and you finally get to see it happen. Hence the terrible delays when moving around on horseback. Since the client isn't doing the calculations to make things smooth you get exposed to what gameplay would be like if the server was calculating everything and your client never helped out. I have no idea why horses are like this.

Crispy75

re: map trimming

There's an easy way to find the limits of actual building. Use MCAMap.Net (http://mcamap.web44.net/) to render the entire map as a PNG and look for the telltale off-yellow dots of torches (distinguishable from the pure yellow of yellow flowers). With Paint.NET, a Magic Wand selection on one torch with a tolerance of 10% will select them all. Then you can clearly see the location of every torch on the map.

If we can trim some of the northen reaches, then I think I'vve found a great place for a 1.8 outpost. At X-1100, Y:-5200, there's Plains, Forest, Ocean, Desert, Savannah, Savannah Plateau M with huge mountains and Swamp all within a 500 block radius. Just North of here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/-1092/64/-5248/-3/0/0

Some pics of the area:
North:
WGhKrSr.jpg

East:
WGVDzBa.jpg

South:
ukxUlei.jpg

West:
16uFf90.jpg
Overhead map:

-Minsc-

Some good discussion, I'll reply in more detail when I'm back at my computer. A few quick points:

- We will not be rushing in to any sort of decision.
- At it's core the Neocraft server was a survival server. This idea is what I use as a guide as an administrator. Creative is a generous gift, one that I've gone out of my way to give to people while still keeping the core survival-ness intact.
- A possible alternative to Neocraft is a new, smaller, creative world with Ashgadia and Ota's builds copied into it. Being a creative world, messy chunk borders are less an issue. Of course this idea would have to wait until there's access to a multiworld plugin.
- I don't see two worlds splitting the social community. We all share the same chat. One person in Gafland with another in neocraft is no different than two people in Gafland on opposite ends of the map. In both cases each player avatar does not interact with the other.

- For mods: I think we can de-op ourselves in game but for obvious reasons we can't self op.

re: map trimming
Map trimming makes things so incredibly ugly though and messes with biome generation. I'd still rather have a totally new map.

- At it's core the Neocraft server was a survival server. This idea is what I use as a guide as an administrator. Creative is a generous gift, one that I've gone out of my way to give to people while still keeping the core survival-ness intact.
I don't think of Neocraft as strictly a survival server. Creative isn't so much a 'generous gift' as much as it is a helpful time saver and a different way to play the game. I'd like to stress that keeping the server survival only to satisfy people that put those survival limits on themselves and complain about those in creative minding their own business isn't a good reason to keep it as such.

- A possible alternative to Neocraft is a new, smaller, creative world with Ashgadia and Ota's builds copied into it. Being a creative world, messy chunk borders are less an issue. Of course this idea would have to wait until there's access to a multiworld plugin.
I can't speak for Ota and his stuff, but I don't really want my city moved over if we end up doing that. Ashgadia is/was fun and there's a lot to it, but I'd rather a fresh start.

- I don't see two worlds splitting the social community. We all share the same chat. One person in Gafland with another in neocraft is no different than two people in Gafland on opposite ends of the map. In both cases each player avatar does not interact with the other.
If you see no difference between two worlds and being on different sides of the world, then there's no reason to add more stress to the server by including a separate world specifically for creative.

I'm actually one of those who feel strongly about pure survival server. However, I don't like forcing everyone to play the way I think is best. In the end, Neocraft / GAFland is supposed to be a place where GAF members can go to play Minecraft online, ideally so that they can have fun. Different people find different play styles fun. I think I'd rather have everyone on one server playing together even if it means mixing creative and survival together.

I get what Bentles meant when he says it cheapens the experience, a part of me agrees with him strongly.

I've waned a bit on that stance in the past few months though. When we first announced having two worlds at the same time (Neocraft for creative and GAFland for survival) I was all for it, I thought it was a great idea. However, now that I've played that way, with some people on one world and some on the other, I find it divisive. I'd rather we all just play on one map and simply let people play the way they want to, like we used to do on the old server. It just seems more social and inviting to me. If someone wants to build a huge creative castle and city within sight of my puny little survival cabin then so be it, at least I'll have someone playing near me and enjoying themselves.

I agree. Everyone playing together and having fun is more important to me than forcing people to play a certain game mode. I didn't used to feel this way but I do now.

Honestly I'm not against this. Start a brand new world for a brand new ideology. But then I love starting from scratch in new worlds too, it never really bothers me. And we could always make the current maps available for everyone to download too, it's not like they vanish forever. Although I really like our current map for GAFland so I am fine either way.

I am on board with going either way, and BTW, I will start playing with all of you again, what is the new server address, and my profile name is 'CottonMcKnight'. After taking some time off, I have found I really miss minecraft! (oh yeah remove the ' and I am ok with a pm)

I am on board with going either way, and BTW, I will start playing with all of you again, what is the new server address, and my profile name is 'CottonMcKnight'. After taking some time off, I have found I really miss minecraft! (oh yeah remove the ' and I am ok with a pm)

Quote the first post in this topic to get the server address. I will add you to the whitelist now.

Just checked and you are already whitelisted.

woolley

If people are gonna start talking about a new map I'm gonna go with the opposed side. While it would give me new things to do there are still people working on builds so it would be really unfair to restart already. The map is only 8 months old. I don't think rendering a new area would be too much stress on the server.

I also don't think 1.8 is a big enough reason alone to justify a new map. You can already craft all the new blocks with the map we have now and the only rare item is going to be sponge which is going to be rare with an old map or a new one. Every update is going to bring things people want so I would wait until 2.0 personally.

Crispy75

Map trimming makes things so incredibly ugly though and messes with biome generation.

Not any more. I went to the same location, freshly generated in 1.7, deleted half the Region files, and returned in 1.8. No ugly borders. The terrain gen is unaltered between 1.7 and 1.8, with only the new stones added underground and ocean temples generated in ocean biomes.

I'm also strongly against a map wipe. We wiped Gafland 1.6 because the 1.7 terrain gen was going to be set in stone for several versions to come. There's no need to do it again.

Ark

Okay this is how we're going to do things; NeoCraft & GAFLand will be adopting a Free-to-Play structure from here on out. Players will be able to choose between various 'Membership Packages' each varying in price depending on the player's preferred play-style.

youtube-minecraft-pvp-banner-hl3jfroa.jpg

Membership Package Uno - 'The Freeloader' -- Cost: Free!
This is the basic, and totally free package. We here at Electronic Ark's are thrilled to provide players will the very tools they will require to begin their journey throughout the glorious gaffes of GAFLand. All players who choose this package will only be able to wield stone tools and build using dirt blocks.

Membership Package Dos - 'The Broke Student' -- Cost: $5 Recurring
We know you want more, and we know you're willing to pay for it, afterall, at this point you haven't paid us anything yet. This package provides ample value and enjoyment as we allow player's the ability to craft an iron sword. Yes, that's right, you can finally indulge your monster hunting desires in a safe and optimal manner. Same limitations as 'The Freeloader' package.

La membresía Paquete Tres - "En realidad soy español '- Costo $10 recurrentes
Estamos aquí, en el valor de Electronic Arca nuestros clientes españoles más que cualquier otro país, incluso traducido este un párrafo específico sólo para ti! Este paquete de membresía incluye subtítulos en español para el juego, así como exclusiva DLC en forma de una espada española de oro!

Membership Package Cuatro - 'Member' -- Cost $15 recurring
The package you've been waiting for! Full member status includes the benefits of all the aforementioned packages as well as the ability to wield golden tools and build using cobblestone! Our advisor's told us we should pull this package because it's offering too much value, but because you mean so much to us we left it in there!

Membership Package Cinco - 'The Charlie' -- Cost $17.5 recurring
Do you like iron blocks? Do you like glass? Do you enjoy oversized and impressively intricate circles? Boy, do we have the package for you! For just $17.5 a month you can build your very own dome city! Iron, glass, and grass blocks are a-plenty with this package. We didn't think this package was offering enough value, so we've thrown in a couple of extras that we know you'll love to get your hands on; we're throwing in exclusive early-access to the Mass Effect 4 beta as well as a free copy of 'Mass Effect 3 Rebooted - The Massest Effect'!

Membership Package Seis - 'Veteran' -- Cost $20 recurring
That's right! We're re-introducing the fan favourite 'Veteran' class from the very first NeoCraft! We've heard your feedback and we are more than happy to give you what you want. This package grants players the ability to not only use the orange coloured font, but also equip, use, and craft a whole array of golden tools and weapons! For an extra $2.50 you can also receive exclusive early-access to the 'Bow and Arrow' DLC planned for late September.

Membership Package Siete - 'Otter? I hardly knew her!' -- Cost $25 recurring
We here at Electronic Ark's fully understand that not all players can be fully dedicated or are flat out afraid of commitment. That's why we've created this package just for you! If you find yourself pertained to creating an endless amount of overly sized, impossibly intricate medieval castles or perhaps you just want to re-create the big D
isney
, this package allows you do just that!

Membership Package Ocho - 'Member V2' -- Cost $35 recurring
Fine. Have it. Full membership status, everything is unlocked, we get it. Just take it.

Membership Package Nueve - 'Farron' -- Cost $45 recurring
Do you find yourself creating cities with suffixes like 'gadia' or creating awesome looking pixel art? Then you're in luck! With our exclusive sponsored package from Square Enix you can team up with Lightning Farron to create as much pixel art and cities as you like! Comes with a free copy of 'FFXIII: Lightning Reborn'.

Membership Package Diez - 'Cease and Desist' -- Cost $15,500 one-time
We at Electronic Ark's love the community and we're happy that you do too. We also appreciate copyright law and trademarks and things. Therefore our legal advisor's have advised us to ask a very, very affordable and moderate price for creating awesome internet videos using our service. Comes with everything included in all previously mentioned packages.

ha-ha.jpg

Membership Package Nueve - 'Farron' -- Cost $45 recurring
Do you find yourself creating cities with suffixes like 'gadia' or creating awesome looking pixel art? Then you're in luck! With our exclusive sponsored package from Square Enix you can team up with Lightning Farron to create as much pixel art and cities as you like! Comes with a free copy of 'FFXIII: Lightning Reborn'.

Yes hello I'm already a subscriber to this awful package, I'm just wondering when we get the free Midnight Mauve, SOLDIER First Class, Lonely Liara, Homo Ark, and Transgendered+ DLC garbs that were advertised as a pre-order bonus?

I was also promised that some stupid cunt named Ark would build a proper Lightning memorial in Ashgadia and it HASN'T GODDAMN HAPPENED BECAUSE HE'S A STUPID CUNT!

Okay this is how we're going to do things; NeoCraft & GAFLand will be adopting a Free-to-Play structure from here on out. Players will be able to choose between various 'Membership Packages' each varying in price depending on the player's preferred play-style.

OOe0IsC.gif

Can we have some "Smite Dryuriev7777 every time he mentions a bloody Nintendo Character I have never heard of" DLC perhaps use tokens so we can top up our smites. I guess something like $30 for 3 tokens would be in line with Electronic Arks conversion rate.

quote?

haha derp.

just click on the word quote above my avatar and the server ip will be revealed to you

The Official NeoCraft Server - Quote the post to see the address here. You must be running Minecraft version 1.7.5 or lower to log on!!! (as of 5-25-14)

Ranger X

Daaamn, fire caught on here while I was gone.

Anyways, just dropping my opinion then...

1- No new world please. I prefer trim

2- Mix survival and creative happened enough has it is. Its thoughts of nightmares for me. Creative mode builds near survival ones simply removes the fun of making survival ones or the attraction to visit them ---- therefore I am not the only one.

3- Ark, bring in those microtransactions lol

-Minsc-

Post of the month!

----

Right-o, here's how I view things. My previous posts only gave my views as an administrator.

As an average player, which is what I am at heart, I'm quite easy going. Personally I have no issue with nerfing NeoCraft and turning GAFland in to a survival/creative mix. Maybe durign my first few months on the server I had an issue with people playing on Creative. It didn't take long however to realize those on Creative had absolutely no negative impact on my NeoCraft experience. I played Survival and that was enough for me. If someone bulds an impressive structure it really doesn't matter in my mind if they built it in pure survival, creative or even with the help of WorldEdit. Life's too short to stress out over those details.

Personal thoughts aside, the server is for the community of NeoGAF so I feel we should allow for the varied range of playstyles (within reason). This reason is why I took upon the task to get both GAFland and NeoCraft running side by side. At the time it seemed like the best solution for everyone.

I'll post some more thoughts later on going vanilla for 1.8 from both the perspective as a player and an admin.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm also strongly against a map wipe. We wiped Gafland 1.6 because the 1.7 terrain gen was going to be set in stone for several versions to come. There's no need to do it again.

I kind of agree, all of the new stuff can be crafted in 1.8 with 1.7 mats. The only thing I'm not too sure about is:

- will ocean monuments spawn in an old map?
- do bunnies spawn in old chunks?

Other than that we should be totally fine with the current GAFland migrated to 1.8.

woolley

I kind of agree, all of the new stuff can be crafted in 1.8 with 1.7 mats. The only thing I'm not too sure about is:

Other than that we should be totally fine with the current GAFland migrated to 1.8.

Monuments should spawn in new chunks and guardians will spawn in an area if a monument would of spawned there if it were a fresh map. If they didn't change that.

Well, I've re-downloaded Minecraft and haven't played since 1.0. I'm reading through the patch notes now, just trying to get an idea of what's to come, but I was hoping those who still play from time to time to fill me in on some of the largest changes from the official release in 2011.

I totally agree, but I know there are some people that feel pretty strongly about having a purely vanilla server/map/area. Like, for instance, when my estate on the survival map came under scrutiny and there were some arguments made that it ruined the fun of the server had I done it in creative mode. Also what Bentles said above about it cheapening the experience. I don't understand this way of thinking and I think it's a little overblown for a game that is an endless sandbox and has no real defined beginning/middle/end, but I also know it's an approach a lot of people use with this game.

Really, moving forward regardless of whether bukkit works or not, it would be kinda nice to shelve the old Neocraft map and just have both creative/survival on one map. Neocraft is wonderful and I'd miss my city, but it is a bit divisive and pointless when it's just me and Ota building on it with the occasional visitor every few months or so. Nobody is forcing anyone to be creative and only the creative people cheapen the experience for themselves. It's not a competition where everyone has to have the same limitations.

I'm alright with this. I played straight survival even when old Neocraft was creative/survival so it's not an issue to me. I do like that we built everything in vanilla on this map without creative, but I can see where people would feel it cheapens the game if you can just spawn in, go into creative, and have full diamond armor/swords in 5 minutes.

Also, if it were up to me, we'd do an entirely new map for 1.8 too. But I know that won't happen.

Now this is the only thing I'd say no to. I sacrificed one fortress for a map update because I felt like I'd hit a wall. I don't intend to do it a second time when I have so much I still want to do. Katzegard was always intended to be 1.8-ready, and losing it would be painful.

Membership Package Diez - 'Cease and Desist' -- Cost $15,500 one-time
We at Electronic Ark's love the community and we're happy that you do too. We also appreciate copyright law and trademarks and things. Therefore our legal advisor's have advised us to ask a very, very affordable and moderate price for creating awesome internet videos using our service. Comes with everything included in all previously mentioned packages.

ha-ha.jpg

YOU MONSTER.

Crispy75

Monuments should spawn in new chunks and guardians will spawn in an area if a monument would of spawned there if it were a fresh map. If they didn't change that.

I was under the impression that Ocean Monuments would also spawn in existing Ocean chunks, so long as a player hadn't been there recently

EDIT: Electronic Arks :D:D:D

hepburn3d

youtube-minecraft-pvp-banner-hl3jfroa.jpg

This is horrifyingly realistic *shudders*

Morokh

I get what Bentles meant when he says it cheapens the experience, a part of me agrees with him strongly.

I've waned a bit on that stance in the past few months though. When we first announced having two worlds at the same time (Neocraft for creative and GAFland for survival) I was all for it, I thought it was a great idea. However, now that I've played that way, with some people on one world and some on the other, I find it divisive. I'd rather we all just play on one map and simply let people play the way they want to, like we used to do on the old server. It just seems more social and inviting to me. If someone wants to build a huge creative castle and city within sight of my puny little survival cabin then so be it, at least I'll have someone playing near me and enjoying themselves.

I agree. Everyone playing together and having fun is more important to me than forcing people to play a certain game mode. I didn't used to feel this way but I do now.

No matter the type of server you run be it survival, creative, or two worlds, the division always tends to happen.

People stick together or close to each other at the beginning, and then scatter all around, and rarely meet unless there is a 'community build' that's the hot topic of the month.

Was the case when I joined Neocraft, it started to happen when we had the first 1.7 map after a while and it's clearly the case now on Gafland.

(Speaking of that first 1.7 GAF map, Ill ask again does anyone have a backup to share?)

On the Creative / Survival aspect of things, should we be forced to have the two on the same world again, it would be nice to at least really limit the use of world edit, cause that is really what creates a huge divide between the two game modes (and what was getting annoying for me as a survival player on Neocraft)

I don't really mind people playing on creative while I play Survival on the same server, but as a builder I really like to know what was done in each game mode, because the scope and dedication just isn't the same.
You tell me that Dry built his gardens in survival, I'm like OOOOOOOOHHHH ! and very impressed, you tell me it was done in Creative and i'm like 'Yeah, whatever, looks nice !'

One other thing, whatever happens with Bukkit or not, could we maybe take a look at having a place (assuming that's possible) with some command blocks so that people can maybe toggle themselves player damage on/off ?

It would allow us to be able to do some PvP should some people want to, have more things to do should we create minigames and such.

Expanding the idea you even could have a place where player switch themselves between game modes if we end up being a mixed server again.

On the subject of world trimming :
I don't think the world generation in itself really changed since they introduced it, they just threw in the new stones blocks as a variable in the amount of stone blocks, and the water temples.
Could be worth testing in a singleplayer world if the world generates the same or not, cause it it does we might be able to trim the world and have it generate the same way with the new blocks without too much weirdness.

Crispy75

Could be worth testing in a singleplayer world if the world generates the same or not, cause it it does we might be able to trim the world and have it generate the same way with the new blocks without too much weirdness.

I tested it - it's perfectly safe. I created a world in 1.7, deleted Region files in a checkerboard pattern and then reloaded that world in 1.8. There were no ugly chunk borders. It was seamless :)

On the topic of creative vs survival, all I'd ask is that the two game modes be separated in some way, either by distance or by world. I've got nothing against creative, but seeing builds from survival and creative near each other spoils things for me. So if we have to have Creative in Gafland, just dedicate an area to it (maybe the zone between spawn and Charlie's dome?)

Ranger X

They should 'cause I loaded old worlds and new mobs like witches are spawning. So apparently the new mobs can spawn in old chunks.

Morokh

They should 'cause I loaded old worlds and new mobs like witches are spawning. So apparently the new mobs can spawn in old chunks.

Witches are hostile mobs, Bunnies are friendlies there is a big difference there.

Hostile mobs will spawn on any spawnable bloc provided the conditions are met.

Friendly mobs don't spawn anymore outside of the first time a chunk loads (or very very rarely if that's still a thing.)

hepburn3d

Witches are hostile mobs, Bunnies are friendlies there is a big difference there.

Hostile mobs will spawn on any spawnable bloc provided the conditions are met.

Friendly mobs don't spawn anymore outside of the first time a chunk loads (or very very rarely if that's still a thing.)

This could actually make for an epic quest. Get some rope then begin:

THE QUEST FOR BUNNIES

First person to bring 2 bunnies back to Zero, Zero wins respect :)

Imagine dragging them back all that way :D

Oh man. I didn't realize just how many designs there were for banners there are. I can see near limitless potential for using them creativity wise.

Morokh

Is banner in 1.8? Also what is this skin customization stuff I see in options?

Yes banners are in 1.8.

The skin customization thing is a second layer on top of your existing skin that you can toggle on/off body part by body part in the game options.
(you have to edit your skin file according to a new layout to 'make' that second layer)

Sarcasm

Yes banners are in 1.8.

The skin customization thing is a second layer on top of your existing skin that you can toggle on/off body part by body part in the game options.
(you have to edit your skin file according to a new layout to 'make' that second layer)

Trying to find some pics...but I can't or I am just blind.

-Minsc-

If there's one thing I learned cobbling all the plugins together to run this server is it takes time to make things work, and while things do work they don't always work well. Then, once a Minecraft update hits you have to go through the process again. You are at the mercy of the plugin developers. There's no guarantee that one plugin used to manage inventories will still be supported in future releases. I'm no coding expert, but running a minimally modded server such as ours feels like it's held together by bandages. It all can be quite a headache.

At the end of the day everyone here just wants to play MC, myself included. Sure, mods can add nice bells and whistles but in my observation most go untouched. The more I think, the more I like the idea of vanilla MC. It may not be a swiss army knife but it gets the job done without the uncertainty of waiting for plugins to update.

NeoCraft as a single world vanilla server:

One of the main issues people seem to have with people building in creative is not know if a person has built in creative. A simple solution would be for us to publicly make available a list of users who we have given access to Creative mode. This will allow people to build in creative while letting survival users know when people have built with creative in the past. Seems fair enough to me.

Now for the blessing and curse of vanilla MC. The good news is nobody will have to worry about there being any WorldEdit created builds. Unfortunately this is also a downside, there's no WorldEdit/WorldGuard. With out these tools there's no easy way to prevent griefing do to fire and lava. There is one anti-griefing option for this in vanilla, the /gamerule doFireTick command. Setting this game rule to false does prevent the spread of fire and lava, it does not prevent blocks from catching fire. Since it just freezes the progression of fire the flame will not run it's course and naturally extinguish. The only way to put out fire is to manually punch them, buckets of water, or place a block on it. There isn't even a universal command for operators to extinguish fires.

Obviously going around putting out fires all the time will be a pain. We could simply trust everyone to not grief and leave fire spread on. Of course we would be left with the issue of lighting strikes burning things down. There's really no good solution for fire protection in vanilla MC which is my biggest knock against it. We'd be all forced to build out of fire resistant materials or in Charlies domes.

Anyways, there's some more info for people to chew on.

Edit: Sadly, according to my research, there isn't a way to disable foul weather. Doing so would have prevented lightning damage.

Crispy75

It's shocking how limited the vanilla server is, really
Also, how much of a complete mess has been made of the bukkit situation. That thing is not getting fixed any time soon.

-Minsc-

Also, how much of a complete mess has been made of the bukkit situation. That thing is not getting fixed any time soon.
While I haven't researched it, I'm not sure if there's a way to disable TNT either. If they added the ability to properly disable fire spread and easily cleanup water/lava griefing I'd go vanilla with little hesitation. Being able to split players into different user groups would be even better, though I could live without that feature if need be.

Well from what I have read of it all I cannot see Bukkit getting sorted out any time soon, I would go as far as saying this is the end of Bukkit. The only way I can see Bukkit returning is if Mojang incorporated it into Minecraft and completely re-wrote the code so they aren't using any of Wolf's code. I think we need to face the fact Bukkit is royally screwed.

I would like to think this will act as a wake up call to Mojang in that they CANNOT rely on the community to provide basic necessary features. Modding is good, modding is great whilst I don't do much with mods on my minecraft I appreciate the work the community puts in. But a game should never get to a point where you are modding in basic bloody functionality and right now Mojang just failed big time.

I would like to see Mojang stop pissing about adding pointless crap like bloody bunny rabbits and perhaps a bit more on stuff like the mod api (remember that boys and girls ?)

Right now we are talking like we have a choice of whether continuing with bukkit and 1.7 or switching to Vanilla. I don't think we even have a choice. I really do not see Bukkit ever updating past 1.7 so that means we will have to keep playing 1.7 and eventually the server will die with no interest.

If we switch to 1.8 now it will come with some short term pain but it comes with the advantage of always playing the most upto date version and hopefully Mojang will incorporate more bukkit like stuff in future releases.

Ensirius

Hello again bros

I am on board again for the 1.8 update. Anything from trying a whole new map to sticking with the one we use now, let's go!

masud

Banned
I think the creative folks should be quarantined to an Island.
Do you mean GAFland 1.6? We have it, I'll get someone with a better internet connection to upload it to a dropbox.

Awesome. I built something pretty cool (that I dont think anyone ever saw) that I want to save.

So, from what I was told here earlier, when you have an old world, and you update to 1.8, you'll get the new stuff as long as you go into new areas you've never loaded before.

If I have a world, and I do the "Recreate World" thing to refresh it, will that give me the new stuff from the get-go, or will I again have to venture forth into the unknown?

Sarcasm

So, from what I was told here earlier, when you have an old world, and you update to 1.8, you'll get the new stuff as long as you go into new areas you've never loaded before.

If I have a world, and I do the "Recreate World" thing to refresh it, will that give me the new stuff from the get-go, or will I again have to venture forth into the unknown?

If recreate you mean in the menu where you create you basically recreate the world using a seed...you won't have anything you built in your previous save.

What they mean by never loaded before is MC world is made in square chunks that load if you go into the square boundary. So if say you never went west 1K blocks near the end the 1.8 stuff would generate.

If recreate you mean in the menu where you create you basically recreate the world using a seed...you won't have anything you built in your previous save.

What they mean by never loaded before is MC world is made in square chunks that load if you go into the square boundary. So if say you never went west 1K blocks near the end the 1.8 stuff would generate.

Oh yeah, I know it'll wipe anything I've built if I recreate it. I have my massive adventure world on my iMac but I started a world a month ago on my laptop that I've barely played, I started out in a really amazing island formation but I think I made like my first little house thing and that was it.

So I'm not too fussed about losing that if it means I'll have all the 1.8 stuff from the get-go. I'm already prepared to have to go really searching for stuff on my iMac world (used a map generator thingy to find a huge mesa west of spawn that I've never been anywhere near).

EDIT: Took the plunge, Spawn Island is filled with rabbits. Yessssssss.

masud

Banned

It will reload the same world with all the 1.8 stuff but none of the stuff you built.

Top Bottom