• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Skimmed over last few posts... So we're retiring Neocraft, going vanilla with GAFland for 1.8, and letting people play mixed creative and survival?

Cool.

Sounds like that's the plan. I know I'm more than fine with it, I never even go over to the old Neocraft map anymore. I will lose my fortress but this just gives me a reason to build a new and better one in GAFland.

Since I assume I'll be the one doing the deed, I won't be doing it before next Sunday at the earliest.

If people want to play 1.8 fairly soon then that's the plan.

I could possibly give it a shot but I would have to do some research first on how to set up vanilla servers, and by the time I figure it out Minsc will probably have it done anyway. Plus I have zero idea on how to copy builds from one map to another, or even trim the map, so yeah I think I'll just let the knowledgeable people take care of this lest I break something horribly.

Fuchsdh

Ok so going vanilla we lose locked chests and the /home and /back commands, correct? Do we lose anything else, and can we still tp to others?

Crispy75

That's why the new 32 draw distance in 1.8 is such a big deal. Is making exploration that much more amazing. Climbing mountains now has a really good purpose, rather than being in a foggy high point. It's helped me explore so much better, especially at night when you can see the glow of lava on the horizon.

It really is spectacular. A real shame it'll never be experienced online. 32 chunks is wider than the walled-in spawn area of Gafland. You could stand on my megabridge south of spawn, and see the Crisp-o-Sphere on the horizon. You could stand on top of Panda's Paper Machine and see all the way to the beach at Gaf-sur-Mer.

-Minsc-

Ok so going vanilla we lose locked chests and the /home and /back commands, correct? Do we lose anything else, and can we still tp to others?

- Lose snazzy name colours (I can live with that).
- No /tpa command. :(
- No /warp
- No proper fire protection, watch out for lightning yo. There is an option to prevent fire (and lava) from spreading and burning things but no way to prevent fires from starting. The side effect of this option is fires never extinguish automatically. They can only be extinguished via punching, water or placing a block over the flame. There's no admin command to put out fires.

From my reading it looks like we can make warps using command blocks to run the /tp command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOssZ4Q8g-4

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands#tp

Vlad

So despite me owning the game for tons of years I've never actually dabbled in mods, ever. I want to change that.

I'd like to know some really good gameplay mods that add to the game. All the "Top Minecraft Mods" lists I'm seeing on Youtube, etc. seem to either provide only a couple of gameplay tweaks at a time (like a minimap) or just really weird ones, I presume because people want to post new good mods instead of older "classics".

I know there was one that expanded greatly on the crafting part of the game, you could even make windmills that made for...some function. I also know about Mo' Creatures, which I plan on installing. What are some others? Keep in mind I've never tried mods, so I really don't care if you suggest an ancient mod that many people have already grown tired of (assuming it's compatible with the latest client and server software). Also, if there's a list I can see for great gameplay-expansion classic mods (like a "greatest hits" or something), I'd love to see it. I couldn't find something like that, unfortunately :(

Oh, and apologies if this has been discussed already. I looked back on the last 6 or so pages and didn't see any discussion on "classic" gameplay overhaul mods, just relatively new ones.

While they can be fairly overwhelming, I usually recommend digging into some of the various mod packs that are around. While there's a ton of stuff there, there's also some great tools for learning how the mods work or what everything is (NEI and WAILA). If you want, hop on the current modded GAF server to mess around. People there are pretty helpful with any questions you might have, and it's also useful to look around to see what other people have built.

A good mod to get into would probably be thaumcraft. It adds a lot to do and explore in the game. Or you could look into downloading a pre made mod pack instead of just downloading individual mods.

Yeah, Thaumcraft is a really great starter. Changes a lot of stuff while still not being "craft this thing for godmode" powerful. It's also got the best in-game manual of any of the mods that I've seen so far. It's nice that other mods have in-game instructions now (Factorization, Tinker's Construct, Extra Utilities), but none of them are as comprehensive or as well-written as Thaumcraft's.

Fuchsdh

- Lose snazzy name colours (I can live with that).
- No /tpa command. :(
- No /warp
- No proper fire protection, watch out for lightning yo. There is an option to prevent fire (and lava) from spreading and burning things but no way to prevent fires from starting. The side effect of this option is fires never extinguish automatically. They can only be extinguished via punching, water or placing a block over the flame. There's no admin command to put out fires.

From my reading it looks like we can make warps using command blocks to run the /tp command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOssZ4Q8g-4

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands#tp

Creeper damage returning?

-Minsc-

I could possibly give it a shot but I would have to do some research first on how to set up vanilla servers, and by the time I figure it out Minsc will probably have it done anyway. Plus I have zero idea on how to copy builds from one map to another, or even trim the map, so yeah I think I'll just let the knowledgeable people take care of this lest I break something horribly.

Getting the actual world up and running is straight forward, what I need to read and experiment with is importing player data. Right now the player data is controlled via a plugin called Multiinv which allows us to split inventories for the two worlds. This includes inventories, logout position and ender chest storage data. I'm 90% certain the player data included in the gafland_1-7 world folder will be that of the last world you logged out from. For example, if you last logged out in the NeoCraft creative world your inventory would be your NeoCraft inventory.

I can do all the world trimming, though I may need a couple days to get that and setting up the vanilla server straightened out. It may be a good opportunity to bring back the ever famous "Blow Shit Up Day(s)".

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands#gamerule
mobGriefing setting

The controls aren't as fine-grained:

So mobs would be even more nerfed than they already are on Gafland.

A sad reality if we want 1.8 in any reasonable time frame. Now, if people are up for it we can use this as an opportunity for everyone to actually work together. Keeping mob griefing enabled means the player base will have an incentive to cooperate and work on community builds in order to reduce the chance of damaging the landscape. It's something to think about and I'm curious to see how it would turn out.

Mengy

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Commands#gamerule
mobGriefing setting

The controls aren't as fine-grained:

"Whether creepers, endermen, ghasts, withers and villagers should be able to change blocks and whether zombies, skeletons, and zombie pigmen can pick up items "

So mobs would be even more nerfed than they already are on Gafland.

Yeah, there are pros and cons to this setting in vanilla servers:

CONS:
- wither's get nerfed hard (how often do you see them anyway tho?)
- villagers won't replant crops (not a real big deal)
- enemy mobs can't pick things up
- no ghast damage in nether, makes them trivial to fight

PROS:
- no creeper damage to blocks (the only real reason to enable this setting IMHO)
- no wither damage to blocks
- no enderman damage to the world
- allows us to build anything in the nether out of any material without fear of ghasts destroying them

So it does some good, some bad, a bit of both. I understand how people hate having their shit blown up accidentally but I personally don't mind creeper damage on. Sure you have to repair things periodically but building is part of the game, I like the danger and dynamics of having creepers un-nerfed and it gives people reasons to take them into serious consideration when running around or building something important. I'm fine either way though,

Crispy75

I think it's a different matter when the server has been creeper-nerfed for so long already.

Right now, you can be sloppy about lighting up every corner of your build, or making sure there are no 1-block junmps from an unlit area into a lit one. If the occasional mob gets in, no big deal.

If creeper damage had been on from the start, I would have built things very differently, and I'm sure others would say the same. I'd still build on at a similar scale and style, but with design features to keep creepers out. I don't really want to go around retro-fitting my old builds with security systems, nor do I want to be responsible for rebuilding other people's stuff when I'm wandering around (esp. if I'm standing next to a gold block throne or something!)

Crispy75

A sad reality if we want 1.8 in any reasonable time frame. Now, if people are up for it we can use this as an opportunity for everyone to actually work together. Keeping mob griefing enabled means the player base will have an incentive to cooperate and work on community builds in order to reduce the chance of damaging the landscape. It's something to think about and I'm curious to see how it would turn out.

However, this is a persuasive argument.

Maybe if we switch the spawn point to the 1.8 outpost, which will concentrate play around that area (especially with the lack of warps) and leave the 1.7 areas more or less unvisited (or have creeper nerfing days!)

-Minsc-

If creeper damage had been on from the start, I would have built things very differently, and I'm sure others would say the same. I'd still build on at a similar scale and style, but with design features to keep creepers out. I don't really want to go around retro-fitting my old builds with security systems, nor do I want to be responsible for rebuilding other people's stuff when I'm wandering around (esp. if I'm standing next to a gold block throne or something!)

Good point. The awesome GAFland spawn wouldn't exist in its current state if people were required to build with creeper damage in mind.

As for moving spawn, I don't mind if everyone else is game for it. My only request is you incorporate the NeoGaf logo into the spawn centre. It makes a great centre piece and tells new visitors they are on the NeoGaf server with out a doubt. :)

---

I tested out the command block warps and they work like a charm. Here's some shots of the workings.

Warp001.png

Warp002.png

Warp003.png

Not sure we need to go haywire with warps but maybe position them at 4000-5000 bock intervals. This will keep the rail line relevant while also preventing thirty minute trips such as the full TAMPON ride.

Speaking of TAMPON, would anyone be willing to help Ole Charles finish off his over compensation dome? He has put so much work in to it all ready, would be a shame to see it go to waste. If you want to finish the building platform with WorldEdit while we have it Charlie you will hear no complaints from me. At least with that out of the way people will have a base to build upon.

Bentles

For those guys who are having a decrease in performance with the new MC update you need jre 8

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

EDIT: I don't mind doing grindy work on Charlie's place if there's company :)

Might be a good idea to encase the command block in bedrock. You can still get power to it through the block and then people can't get at it (EDIT EDIT: oh wait creative mode nvm). I can help with setup stuff too if you like. Looks fun :)

Can people who aren't operators mess with command blocks?

Fuchsdh

Why not just make a warp to "New Spawn" from old Spawn? That way explored GAFLand is easily accessible via GAF Central rails and the Nether Hub.

So what are we doing regarding fire spread in 1.8? I am worried when we update, half the server will immediately combust. Also, lightning fire is awful for anyone who has a wood build.

So, 1.8 will have a new Ashgadia for all the creative people. This time we're calling it Lordry!

So instead of making plots and such and making everything all square and perfect and shit, I've decided that a better way to do it is to have a basic road plan and let people build however big they want and have everyone wrap the road around their builds as they see fit.

I'll have basic plans for roads and such later, but I'm hoping to eventually have a city bigger than the original Ashgadia and I'm also hoping everyone can contribute something at some point.

Crispy75

Crispy already built the centre so that was his compromise to get the GAF logo in there.

Yeah. I could do a redesign, but I don't want to delay the server update process and my free time is pretty limited this week.

If the Gafglobe becomes too overbearing, we can always demolish it and put a 7x7 version on the floor at the crossroads. Free clay and prismarine!

Note - I've also sketched in a perimeter, similar to the one at old spawn, but it's just sporadic cobble and torches for now. The Gafland Department of Public Works will be busy :D

What I love about this area is that the inner spawn area is surrounded on three sides (N,W,S) by hills. As those hills fill up with builds, there will be some great views across the basin.

-Minsc-

If the Gafglobe becomes too overbearing, we can always demolish it and put a 7x7 version on the floor at the crossroads.

I say just forget the GAFlogo completely, we can always incorporate a GAF in some form when people build the new town/city. Maybe a stained glass window in GAFtown's train station would be more fitting? Leave your centre crossroads as is. :)

Crispy75

I say just forget the GAFlogo completely, we can always incorporate a GAF in some form when people build the new town/city. Maybe a stained glass window in GAFtown's train station would be more fitting? Leave your centre crossroads as is. :)

:)

I'll send you a .zip of region files tonight

Mengy

Or we can go with the idea and make a big flying balloon, a tad higher in the sky out of it :p

I like the idea of the GAF balloon / ball / orb for the logo, but maybe instead of a balloon make it a tower in the center of new spawn? Just a skinny 5 or 7 block diameter column going up about halfway to cloud level and then cap it off with the huge GAF orb, but the center (equator) of the orb will be all glass, and the inside of the orb is a viewing area that gives people a high up view looking all around the spawn area. It can be called the GAF tower or something.

Either way, I like the orb design.

Morokh

I like the idea of the GAF balloon / ball / orb for the logo, but maybe instead of a balloon make it a tower in the center of new spawn? Just a skinny 5 or 7 block diameter column going up about halfway to cloud level and then cap it off with the huge GAF orb, but the center (equator) of the orb will be all glass, and the inside of the orb is a viewing area that gives people a high up view looking all around the spawn area. It can be called the GAF tower or something.

Either way, I like the orb design.

As it happens I have a cool design that I recently came up with for an elven-ish (quartz/wood/leaves) fantasy tower that is 9x9 on the ground where we could have some kind of orb hovering over it (a bit like the crystal on top of the enchantment mini tower I built at spawn)

Plenty of possibilities :p

Or we can go with the idea and make a big flying balloon, a tad higher in the sky out of it :p

pfft you are all seriously lacking vision. I mean come on a "platform" or a piddlish ball or a flying balloon. I mean come on guys we are Neocraftians where's the creative spirit ? where are the innovative thoughts like a yellow spotted pink Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon ?

The answer is simple, it's so simple you will kick yourself. You will go "damn Charlie your brain is awesome, we are in awe of your mighty synapses. So brace yourself as I present the solution to all our spawn woes. The solution issssssssssssssssssssssssss

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

DOME

Yep just imagine an all encompassing dome protecting spawn but instead of using ordinary glass we use stained glass and make it in the style of the Neogaf logo. Now since I came up with the idea I aint doing it, but naturally I will take all the applause and Kudos for coming up with the idea. Seriously no need to thank me I am just doing my job.

defel

Mengy's idea sounds awesome. Get on it guys ;)

I think Im going to start fresh and pretend its a server restart.

And for the love of god I hope the enderman farm finally works properly
might redesign it anyway, saw a cool new design

Mengy

Mengy's idea sounds awesome. Get on it guys ;)

I think Im going to start fresh and pretend its a server restart.

I'm not starting over, but I'm planning on building a new main base and leaving the "old" lands behind for the most part. My ravine isn't finished yet but I want to make myself a new point of operations anyway out in the 1.8 lands, because I plan on using LOTS of the new stone types. I've been playing in 1.8 for weeks now offline and I love all of the new building materials. I have a few ideas for a new base build, I'm leaning towards a huge castle type structure because I've not built a castle in a long time.

-Minsc-

Hey all, tomorrow I'm thinking of taking NeoCraft down and activating Dynmap. This will allow people to see the lay of the land and help plan for the transition to 1.8. Also, 1.8 introduces a world border command. Just to prevent people from going too hog wild out in to the unknown I'm going to make use of this great and restricting feature. ;)

Hey all, tomorrow I'm thinking of taking NeoCraft down and activating Dynmap. This will allow people to see the lay of the land and help plan for the transition to 1.8. Also, 1.8 introduces a world border command. Just to prevent people from going too hog wild out in to the unknown I'm going to make use of this great and restricting feature. ;)

Borders ? that sounds like dirty Scottish Independence talk to me laddie. I will only accept borders if I am allowed to post armed SAS soldiers on it and shoot anyone that doesn't drink tea.

On a serious note how big are these borders ? I mean am I still going to be able to hide in my secret base with my 500,000 block dome ?

So to recap:

- New 1.8 spawn/areas
- No reset
- Old creative world departs
- Fire spread is off but flammable stuff might still catch on fire
- No locked chests and warps, mob damage on

Just making sure for a video I am doing tonight.

Crispy75

(half serious)

Good, maybe with some competent adults in charge, MInecraft can actually behave like it's the world's most popular videogame, with the dev team, PR, customer service etc. to match.

Top Bottom