• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Morokh

By the way guys, how do I set borders? I really didn't see the option

World borders ? that's command based I think, you might have to do some research (guess the wiki might be a good place to start)

Ok it is a tad bit late but here are the links to Neocraft and Gafland 1.6 :-

Neocraft :-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18837300/world-2014-09-02-16-41-13.tar.gz

Download size is 1.10gbs

Gafland 1.6 :-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18837300/gafland-1.6.zip

Download size is 790mbs

Have fun, now if you will excuse me I have a date with a fully inflated Dome.

Thanks ! :)

Bentles

I don't understand what I just read....this can be set to change the center of "spawn"?

ctrl+f spawn
0 results....?

/worldborder center 0 0
Would set where the middle of the border to 0 0.

/worldborder set 1000
Makes a 1000 by 1000 square centered at 0 0

...and then there's other fancy stuff

Crispy75

Excuse me for jumping the gun, but I started work on a 1.8 Outpost area in Creative, at the -1100, -5200 site mentioned earlier. Mods - let me know if my efforts are futile :)

PQM5cnC.jpg

Central plots to hold nether gate, map board, communal storage

-Minsc-

Excuse me for jumping the gun, but I started work on a 1.8 Outpost area in Creative, at the -1100, -5200 site mentioned earlier. Mods - let me know if my efforts are futile :)

I have no problem it, though it really isn't up to us mods. It's a community decision. :)

Try not to take up too much space with any sort of community storage. From my observation it's rarely, if ever used. People tend to just throw useless crap in them. ;)

Sounds awesome! You had me at:

Crispy75
(Today, 04:05 AM)

Fuchsdh

I have no problem it, though it really isn't up to us mods. It's a community decision. :)

Try not to take up too much space with any sort of community storage. From my observation it's rarely, if ever used. People tend to just throw useless crap in them. ;)
Hey I make full use of them :)

Crispy75

Wait is NeoGAF 1.8 now?
It will be soon.

For the record, the new stone types are really nice. Granite and andesite, mmmmmmm.

Oh and bear in mind that with a vanilla server, a community bunkhouse and storage is more useful than when you can warp everywhere

Sarcasm

When I go to the wiki to read changes I just want to know new stuff. I know banners, underwater stuff, sticky slimes and blocks..but what is the rest? Like the purple stained glass or is that just an effect? Supposedly this is all 1.8 stuff..but some stuff I don't think is like the item frames..unless you couldn't use those items before.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
When I go to the wiki to read changes I just want to know new stuff. I know banners, underwater stuff, sticky slimes and blocks..but what is the rest? Like the purple stained glass or is that just an effect? Supposedly this is all 1.8 stuff..but some stuff I don't think is like the item frames..unless you couldn't use those items before.

Yep, that's all the new stuff. The items in the frames are all new, like the rabbit hide, rabbit meat, cooked meat, rabbit stew, jump potion, etc. There was a lot of new stuff added for 1.8.

Sarcasm

Yep, that's all the new stuff. The items in the frames are all new, like the rabbit hide, rabbit meat, cooked meat, rabbit stew, jump potion, etc. There was a lot of new stuff added for 1.8.

JUMP POTION!?!? Also whats in the purple stained glass cage?

Anything else change like enchanting or something?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
JUMP POTION!?!? Also whats in the purple stained glass cage?

Anything else change like enchanting or something?

Yeah, enchanting and trading changed quite a bit.

You should really just go read the changelog. I'd post it here but it's too big to fit in one post, LOL.

Crispy75

Beacons get coloured by stained glass. New fences and door types for all woods. Ocean temple blocks, including a new light source. New dirt type that doesn't pick up grass. Secondary layer for player skins, toggleable by body part. Bunnies! There's probably more.

-Minsc-

It will be soon.

For the record, the new stone types are really nice. Granite and andesite, mmmmmmm.

Oh and bear in mind that with a vanilla server, a community bunkhouse and storage is more useful than when you can warp everywhere

Yeah, that is very true.

Gurrry

Thinking about buying this on PC finally.

2 things though

1) What are some of the most popular custom games?

2) Are there any sales of this game at all? Or will it always be 25 bucks?

Thinking about buying this on PC finally.

2 things though

1) What are some of the most popular custom games?

2) Are there any sales of this game at all? Or will it always be 25 bucks?

Minecraft has never gone on sale. The only thing close to a "sale" was a valentines day offer of buy 1 copy get a second free. I can't answer the custom games question since I only ever play on Neocraft which is vanillaish minecraft.

Just got Minecraft, where does NeoGAF meet up?

You need to go to the first post in this topic and click on the word qoute above Mengy's avatar this will reveal the server IP which is hidden using email tags to try and keep the unwashed masses out.

So are we doing a fresh map or keeping the one we have? And when is this going down?

I think the concensus is that we will keep Gafland 1.7. I don't agree with it but at the end of the day I can always make life a misery for those that voted that way ;-)

Painguy

Hey Minecraft-GAF I'm just starting to get into Minecraft a bit to play with my son. I'm looking for a realistic-looking mod that gives me shadows and nice realistic-looking effects for the PC. Something like this http://www.freewallsource.com/minecraft-wallpaper-hd-2031.html (or better?) Any help would be appreciated!

SEUS's shaders
Some examples on the GAF servers. I messed with the files a bit to allow volumetric shadows and parallax occlusion mapping, but it comes at a huge cost. Barely run the game at 30. Also installed better foliage for the trees. You need compatible texture packs for normal, specular and parallax occlusion mapping. (i'm using chroma hills seus edition)
i5O1XzAiEiiY8.jpg

iwI44mxl0QtuO.jpg

Sarcasm

SEUS's shaders
Some examples on the GAF servers. I messed with the files a bit to allow volumetric shadows and parallax occlusion mapping, but it comes at a huge cost. Barley run the game at 30. Also installed better foliage for the trees. You need compatibale texture packs for normal, specular and parallax occlusion mapping. (i'm using chroma hills seus edition)

Send me your files! This is for 1.7 correct? I wanna try hehe I got shaders working before but found them too dark.

So reading the changelog on enchanting and villager trading...

I can't compare the enchanting really..all I saw is the lapis cost and reduced XP taken. The villager stuff sounds nice.

Bentles

Looks like it's a ton easier now to get good gear... Which makes loads of cool farms kind of pointless. I really like the repairing price decrease though. That was always stupidly expensive.

Crispy75

That looks amazing O_O

I'll be sticking with vanilla though :)

I should have the 1.8 outpost finished today, so can send the Region files to a mod for integration into Gafland. Then we can run a 1.8 vanilla server, should we wish. (A nether railway will be needed to get to the outpost)

-Minsc-

Are we going survival/creative for the restart?

I believe this is the deal.

People want to play 1.8. In order to play 1.8 the server needs to go vanilla. We will not be resetting the map, the existing GAFland map will be used. People will be able to build in either creative or survival mode. Sadly, we'll have to retire NeoCraft.

What would you like to do with Disney Land Ota? Is it something you want to complete offline or is it something you want on the server?

Mirk

I believe this is the deal.

People want to play 1.8. In order to play 1.8 the server needs to go vanilla. We will not be resetting the map, the existing GAFland map will be used. People will be able to build in either creative or survival mode. Sadly, we'll have to retire NeoCraft.

What would you like to do with Disney Land Ota? Is it something you want to complete offline or is it something you want on the server?

I do have a server. So if everyone is okay with the modded server coming down. I can change that to a pure survival server.

-Minsc-

I do have a server. So if everyone is okay with the modded server coming down. I can change that to a pure survival server.

Seems a little redundant to me. the whole idea of mixing survival and creative was so we could have everyone play on one server. We could keep the survival server as is and move NeoCraft to the separate creative server. The only problem with that is the survivalists and creative users won't be able to have any social interaction in game.

Ideally on a server, but if it can't be brought over (which I'm fine with) I'd just complete it offline/rebuild it.
It can be incorporated, just a matter of finding a location.

So despite me owning the game for tons of years I've never actually dabbled in mods, ever. I want to change that.

I'd like to know some really good gameplay mods that add to the game. All the "Top Minecraft Mods" lists I'm seeing on Youtube, etc. seem to either provide only a couple of gameplay tweaks at a time (like a minimap) or just really weird ones, I presume because people want to post new good mods instead of older "classics".

I know there was one that expanded greatly on the crafting part of the game, you could even make windmills that made for...some function. I also know about Mo' Creatures, which I plan on installing. What are some others? Keep in mind I've never tried mods, so I really don't care if you suggest an ancient mod that many people have already grown tired of (assuming it's compatible with the latest client and server software). Also, if there's a list I can see for great gameplay-expansion classic mods (like a "greatest hits" or something), I'd love to see it. I couldn't find something like that, unfortunately :(

Oh, and apologies if this has been discussed already. I looked back on the last 6 or so pages and didn't see any discussion on "classic" gameplay overhaul mods, just relatively new ones.

woolley

A good mod to get into would probably be thaumcraft. It adds a lot to do and explore in the game. Or you could look into downloading a pre made mod pack instead of just downloading individual mods.

Do we have a general idea as to when we'll move over to 1.8? I'd like to plan out a better and cleaner Ashgadia 2.0 before the move, but I dunno if I'll have time.

Skimmed over last few posts... So we're retiring Neocraft, going vanilla with GAFland for 1.8, and letting people play mixed creative and survival?

Cool.

May I make one plea to save my puzzle mansion in Ashgadia? That's something I'd very much like to complete, please!

-Minsc-

Do we have a general idea as to when we'll move over to 1.8? I'd like to plan out a better and cleaner Ashgadia 2.0 before the move, but I dunno if I'll have time.

Since I assume I'll be the one doing the deed, I won't be doing it before next Sunday at the earliest.

Skimmed over last few posts... So we're retiring Neocraft, going vanilla with GAFland for 1.8, and letting people play mixed creative and survival?

Cool.

If people want to play 1.8 fairly soon then that's the plan.

May I make one plea to save my puzzle mansion in Ashgadia? That's something I'd very much like to complete, please!

You'd like that copied into GAFland somehow (Ashgadia 2.0 maybe)?

So

When I started my game, months ago, dazed and confused waking up in the woods with no idea where the hell to go, I wound up running to the left of my spawn point, which turned out to be west. Eventually I made castle in the middle of a lake, a huge farm, underground mine, rail ways, towers, a reactor core with a Nether portal in it, it's been awesome.

A couple months ago I started to look for horses. I went west, found a desert, and sure enough, got my first horse. Had a HELL of a time getting it back home. Shortly after I decided to go north and find my first ocean. At the shore I found my second horse. Getting THAT back was a real nightmare. No pun intended. Crossed the ocean and found my third horse, which explored all kinds of new places with me. I was miles and miles from anything familiar, just me and that horse. I had to get him home somehow.

So I decided to build a rail system connecting the two continents so I could bring back my third and favorite horse. Months of building and traveling and mapping, I get my third horse home. So I have a white, black, and brown horse now. Gold, Silver, and Diamond armors. Know the next thing on my list is to try and find a donkey, but never saw one in my travels.

1.8 comes out, and I want to see some new animals. I know I have to venture out into unloaded chunks to get new stuff, so I decide to go east of spawn this time.

I walk for less than a minute east of Spawn, into territory that's been loaded and sitting there ever since I first started playing, and find a field with 20 horses and 4 donkeys.

:|

hepburn3d

So

When I started my game, months ago, dazed and confused waking up in the woods with no idea where the hell to go, I wound up running to the left of my spawn point, which turned out to be west. Eventually I made castle in the middle of a lake, a huge farm, underground mine, rail ways, towers, a reactor core with a Nether portal in it, it's been awesome.

A couple months ago I started to look for horses. I went west, found a desert, and sure enough, got my first horse. Had a HELL of a time getting it back home. Shortly after I decided to go north and find my first ocean. At the shore I found my second horse. Getting THAT back was a real nightmare. No pun intended. Crossed the ocean and found my third horse, which explored all kinds of new places with me. I was miles and miles from anything familiar, just me and that horse. I had to get him home somehow.

So I decided to build a rail system connecting the two continents so I could bring back my third and favorite horse. Months of building and traveling and mapping, I get my third horse home. So I have a white, black, and brown horse now. Gold, Silver, and Diamond armors. Know the next thing on my list is to try and find a donkey, but never saw one in my travels.

1.8 comes out, and I want to see some new animals. I know I have to venture out into unloaded chunks to get new stuff, so I decide to go east of spawn this time.

I walk for less than a minute east of Spawn, into territory that's been loaded and sitting there ever since I first started playing, and find a field with 20 horses and 4 donkeys.

:|

Yea but you got the adventure! :) If you'd gone east to start with you would of missed out on all that. Good story though.

-SD-

Banned
Unless Ark or Charlie steps in, not for another week.
OK. Thanks Crispy. Felt a bit lazy today, so instead of careful reading I just decided to ask.

Anyway, once 1.8 is working I'll come back and finish the work on Slime Pit. Slime cubes, oh, so many slime cubes...

Yea but you got the adventure! :) If you'd gone east to start with you would of missed out on all that. Good story though.

Oh totally, I'm glad things happened the way they did and I was able to explore so much. I just found the fact that they were RIGHT. THERE. the whole time to be just... madness.

What was even crazier is, I built a big castle/tower/fortress thing above a Stronghold that I found, that turned out to be just over south of Horse Field. I had even at one point ventured slightly north of it, and found some sheep, but I never went any further. If I had traveled maybe 20-30 blocks more, I would have been surrounded by horses. I stood on a small hill in Horse Field and I could clearly see the Stronghold tower south of me.

Ridiculous.

hepburn3d

Oh totally, I'm glad things happened the way they did and I was able to explore so much. I just found the fact that they were RIGHT. THERE. the whole time to be just... madness.

What was even crazier is, I built a big castle/tower/fortress thing above a Stronghold that I found, that turned out to be just over south of Horse Field. I had even at one point ventured slightly north of it, and found some sheep, but I never went any further. If I had traveled maybe 20-30 blocks more, I would have been surrounded by horses. I stood on a small hill in Horse Field and I could clearly see the Stronghold tower south of me.

Ridiculous.

That's why the new 32 draw distance in 1.8 is such a big deal. Is making exploration that much more amazing. Climbing mountains now has a really good purpose, rather than being in a foggy high point. It's helped me explore so much better, especially at night when you can see the glow of lava on the horizon.

Top Bottom