• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Painguy

Not sure how I feel about such a purchase. Looking at what MS did to Rare I'm a bit worried, but that the same time Mojang can be pretty incompetent when it comes to managing the game.

(half serious)

Good, maybe with some competent adults in charge, MInecraft can actually behave like it's the world's most popular videogame, with the dev team, PR, customer service etc. to match.

Too bad you won't be able to play it on the PC. If Microsoft are really paying 2 billion for this then you can bet your damn arse they are going to restrict Minecraft to the Xbone ONLY. They will complete cut off any support for the PC or Playstation versions of the game.

Fuchsdh

Too bad you won't be able to play it on the PC. If Microsoft are really paying 2 billion for this then you can bet your damn arse they are going to restrict Minecraft to the Xbone ONLY. They will complete cut off any support for the PC or Playstation versions of the game.

Cut off PlayStation? Probably. Windows PCs? I doubt it. Macs? That's questionable.

Seanspeed

Banned
I for one welcome our new Microsoft overlords.

Hopefully they do something more fucking substantial with this gold mine of potential called Minecraft.

That would be nonsense. They didn't spend $2 billion just to boost one of their platforms with a single game. Microsoft are in the PC and mobile industry as well, don't forget.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

What? WHAT????

NO, No, a thousand NO's.

Damnit Notch, why would you even entertain this idea at all?

(half serious)

Good, maybe with some competent adults in charge, MInecraft can actually behave like it's the world's most popular videogame, with the dev team, PR, customer service etc. to match.

No, it means Microsoft will start charging for updates and create tons of DLC content for the game. It will mean the end of free user mods completely and skins you have to buy. It will also probably mean that you will have to buy an Xbox in order to play future versions of the game.

Well, at least I'll be able to play the game I own before the sale, if this even happens, which I can't believe for a second that Markus would actually go through with. This better damn well not happen...

:(

woolley

I really hope it isn't true. I fear that Microsoft would stop updates fairly quickly and move to creating a Minecraft 2 that will only be available on XB1. Microsoft is definitely a company I don't trust.

Seanspeed

Banned
This is like the Oculus/Facebook announcement all over again, with everybody overreacting, assuming the absolute worst instead of seeing how this could actually end up for the best.

There's more to Microsoft than just the Xbox.

I prefer a mostly vanilla survival minecraft server and with 1.8, I might just head over to the GAF server.

Anything about the GAF server I need to know?

-Minsc-

I prefer a mostly vanilla survival minecraft server and with 1.8, I might just head over to the GAF server.

Anything about the GAF server I need to know?

Not much. Don't wander out 100,000 blocks in one direction. No griefing. Standard, common sense rules.

Incase you haven't been reading, The server will be going a mix of survival and creative once we update. We currently have separate world files for survival and creative but since we're going vanilla that is no longer an option.

So, let's just pretend that MS does actually buy and then completely fuck up Minecraft.

What can I do to ... "protect?" my game? Just only ever play offline for the rest of forever? Does the game need to be able to connect to the servers for any reason when playing/starting a new single player Survival/Creative world?

For what it's worth, I've been sitting in the Nether at 10k, 10k waiting for 1.8 ever since I posted about my colony idea. Nether portal is ready, but need to light it up and walk through for new lands.

The new stone types is one of the reasons why I got back into minecraft.

I almost always build with what I find, especially in the beginning. And new stone blocks which are abundant helps make things look better quickly. I tend to use A LOT of cobble in the past.

Ranger X

1.8 won't happen until this weekend at the earliest. :)

By the way, I don't know if its going to be you messing with people's rights on the server but I want to change my way of playing this time and go creative. 'Cause honestly, 1.8 runs so bad on my computer that I wouldn't have any kind of fun playing survival. :(

hepburn3d

This can't happen. I'd be really surprised if it did.

If it did it would be such a shame. I like that Minecraft can be played on most devices and has such a large community, young and old. If this happens my pessimistic eyes can only see micro-transactions, exclusivity, locked down mods etc While Microsoft can bring engineers and money to the table Mojang have made enough to make the innovations they would want in this. I'll be really gutted if this happens. Until it does though I'm gonna bet it won't

Bentles

By the way, I don't know if its going to be you messing with people's rights on the server but I want to change my way of playing this time and go creative. 'Cause honestly, 1.8 runs so bad on my computer that I wouldn't have any kind of fun playing survival. :(

Try JRE 8 if you haven't. My game was choppy but after upgrading it went back to being silky smooth.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

God I really hope MS don't buy Mojang. From what I've seen the xbox version of the game is what MC would be if it had been made like modern games are made. Skins and texture packs you have to buy, stupid hints for things everywhere "THIS IS A DIRT YOU CAN GROW CRAWPS HERE KAY DUMBASS". No. Anyway this is probably just rumour-mongering to get hits on news sites.

Crispy75

(half serious)

No, it means Microsoft will start charging for updates and create tons of DLC content for the game. It will mean the end of free user mods completely and skins you have to buy. It will also probably mean that you will have to buy an Xbox in order to play future versions of the game.

And that's the other half :-/

Morokh

There's more to Microsoft than just the Xbox.

Is that supposed to be reassuring ? cause the way I see it it pretty much adds to the pile of 'things to worry about'

The silence of all the Mojang team on the subject pretty much confirms that there is something going-on though.

Ranger X

Well, I'm happy to stick with MC for now, but looking ahead, this looks like it could be a pretty good replacement: http://oortonline.com/
Much nicer engine. Multiple worlds. Clearly defined development goals. Experienced team.

These clones, they all sound good until you play them...

Try JRE 8 if you haven't. My game was choppy but after upgrading it went back to being silky smooth.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html

Wich one should I take for Vista 64 bits? The list is not clear to me

For those having problems with Minesoft 1.8 I have found the officially launcher causes a few problems and by a few I mean a crap load. I get a much better experience with 1.8 if I use Magic Launcher and in advanced settings set the ram to 2048.

Urgh you know I feel dirty even launching this game now. I wonder if Notch will buy himself a new spine and some principles with his money ? I really hope Planets3 lives up to expectations.

Sarcasm

Question..is there a way to use command blocks to have certain parts of the world with MobGriefing to false?

Wife and I play LAN 1.8...she has little time. Kinda don't want mob false set to everywhere.

Mengy

Urgh you know I feel dirty even launching this game now. I wonder if Notch will buy himself a new spine and some principles with his money ? I really hope Planets3 lives up to expectations.

Now now CC, it's all just rumor for now, and even if it does happen we have no idea how it will affect current owners of Minecraft. I have a feeling we will hear details soon enough.

Well, I'm happy to stick with MC for now, but looking ahead, this looks like it could be a pretty good replacement: http://oortonline.com/
Much nicer engine. Multiple worlds. Clearly defined development goals. Experienced team.

That actually looks kind of nice, Except for the fact that it is a MMO only game and has no offline mode at all, that sucks.

Oh wait, you play it in a web browser??? FAIL. Someday someone will make a worthy modern successor to Minecraft, but this Oort game ain't going to be it.

Mengy

You know that's how minecraft started too?
The release version will have a launcher/wrapper just like MC.

And we all know how well Minecraft runs on lesser machines. Now give the graphics in the screenshots for that Oort game, and see how well it runs.

I'm all for a modern graphically superior version of Minecraft, but it can't be in Java or a web browser. To get performance you need to leave those things behind.

Bentles

Wich one should I take for Vista 64 bits? The list is not clear to me

Second last one is what you need

Question..is there a way to use command blocks to have certain parts of the world with MobGriefing to false?

Wife and I play LAN 1.8...she has little time. Kinda don't want mob false set to everywhere.

It's all or nothing I'm afraid. Gonna have to light it up like crazy :p

Fuchsdh

or maybe they'll port it to C rather than Java for better performance and build a proper modding API?
Can always dream.

Either way until we actually hear a confirmation I don't believe it. No point getting riled up about something that may not happen. Would be interesting to hear the reasons for such an acquisition though.

or maybe they'll port it to C rather than Java for better performance and build a proper modding API?

The hidden cost of doing that is that every mod maker has to rewrite their code in C. You have to wonder how many will bother to do that. My gut feeling is very few.

It might also mean they just give the game to 4J Studios and let go of the remaining Mojang staff.

Crispy75

Can always dream.

Either way until we actually hear a confirmation I don't believe it. No point getting riled up about something that may not happen. Would be interesting to hear the reasons for such an acquisition though.

The complete radio silence from mojang tell us that there's definitely something to the story.

Morokh

The complete radio silence from mojang tell us that there's definitely something to the story.

That's pretty much it, not even a joke, not even an acknowledgement of all the ruckus, and overall a very low activity among all of them.

Something is definitely up.

I need to stay out of the threads in general. Too much "MINECRAFT 2!!!!!" and talk of Notch being responsible for all of Minecraft's work and success to handle.

Anyways, looking forward to the server update. Will be nice to get work done with the new blocks.

Vlad

That's pretty much it, not even a joke, not even an acknowledgement of all the ruckus, and overall a very low activity among all of them.

Something is definitely up.

Yeah, I was somewhat optimistic that this was all just rumors, but since NOBODY from Mojang to have come out and refuted this yet, I'm getting that sinking feeling.

Mengy

I need to stay out of the threads in general. Too much "MINECRAFT 2!!!!!" and talk of Notch being responsible for all of Minecraft's work and success to handle.

Anyways, looking forward to the server update. Will be nice to get work done with the new blocks.

I look at it like this: the game we have all come to love and hate is still here, and even if MS buys the IP they can't retroactively take our game away. Minecraft as it is will always be around now, and even if MS fucks it up then we can just play the version we now own.

And yeah, I'm looking forward to the server getting to 1.8 too. I can finally stop playing offline then!!!

Top Bottom