• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

-Minsc-

Well I wouldn't be against that huge erm circle being removed. It would be a shame to keep that huge arse circle that constantly MOCKS me. So if you wish to trim that area so new terrain will spawn then feel free.
Yet another thing I fully intended to do sir. I'm too good to you.

Ark

Feel free to remove Arkyoto. I'm never going to finish it, especially not with work & Destiny taking up most of my time right now :p

But if you wanted to move my castle closer to spawn/new spawn I'd be totally okay with that ;D

The ruins I was talking about are at about x=-3600, z=560. I'd like to keep that area, if only because someone took a lot of time to build that for me for their adventure.

I also have a new adventure I'm being sent on, so I might need you to not trim where ever that might be, too ;)

Also, this might be a good time to ask: can I get either a current world download or a copy of Katzegard? Would help me out for the planning stages for the village that's going inside the fortress walls.

Bentles

The ruins I was talking about are at about x=-3600, z=560. I'd like to keep that area, if only because someone took a lot of time to build that for me for their adventure.

I also have a new adventure I'm being sent on, so I might need you to not trim where ever that might be, too ;)

Also, this might be a good time to ask: can I get either a current world download or a copy of Katzegard? Would help me out for the planning stages for the village that's going inside the fortress walls.

I ran around in that area in search of wolves the other day and actually stumbled upon those ruins. I saw the path to them and recognised it from your video. It would be cool to have more of that kind of build scattered about like there was some sort of ancient GAFLand civilization that died out.

-Minsc-

Feel free to remove Arkyoto. I'm never going to finish it, especially not with work & Destiny taking up most of my time right now :p

But if you wanted to move my castle closer to spawn/new spawn I'd be totally okay with that ;D

Seeing as I'm keeping Charlies MEGADOME I may as well keep Arkyoto. I can trim out some of the fat around it though.

My build at X -2178, Z 254 is my current build. No trimming of that plz.

Will do.

The historic ruins will be saved. I can not guarantee Katzegard's safety.

Give me the coordinates of the corners for the area of Katzegard you want me to upload and I'll see to it. :)

------

World Trim Notice!!

I'll be making the final world backup tonight around 8:00pm ADT after which any progress made on the server will not be saved. Once the backup is made I'll announce it here.

Getting the world trimmed then uploaded and running on the server again will take some time. Fully expect to not see 1.8 until Monday. If I trusted my internet connection to be better I'd say tomorrow, but I don't. Anyways, sit tight folks. The final countdown to 1.8 is on. ;)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Welp, Reuters reports the MS deal will be announced Monday, and it is not for $2 billion but $2.5 billion instead:

Microsoft buys Minecraft to boost mobile ambitions

RG0BS1U.gif

NeoGAF thread about it.

Welp, Reuters reports the MS deal will be announced Monday, and it is not for $2 billion but $2.5 billion instead:

Microsoft buys Minecraft to boost mobile ambitions

RG0BS1U.gif

NeoGAF thread about it.

Long story short, Microsoft has to be careful here. They can make some good decisions, some not-as-good decisions (moving immediately to C# instead of waiting and making sure the transitition could work), some bad ideas (DLC, requiring additional money for MP) and some horrible ideas (removing mod support, forcing Realms as a server host, firing the Minecraft dev team and giving the game to another internal studio).

This is probably Nadella and Spencer's first big test to see if Microsoft and the Xbox division are truly changed, or if the old 90s/00s juggernaut that tried to force its way to success is still alive and kicking.

Best case scenario is they MIGHT carry on with the PC version but you can bet your life playing Minecraft is about to become a lot more expensive than it used to be. After all we are the ones that have to pay Microsoft it's 2.5 billion back. Cheers for that Notch really appreciate it.

Mengy

Not time to jump ship yet. A year from now may be another story.

Oh hell no, I have a feeling the PC game as we know it is going to be around for a very long, long time. 1.8 might just be the last update we ever see however, as I'm pretty sure MS will shift all development to Minecraft 2 where they can incorporate DLC and all manner of paid content.

Things won't change overnight though, that's for certain. But they are going to change....

The biggest immediate change is you are going to see Minecraft characters splashed all around all manner of Microsoft stuff, lol.

Oh hell no, I have a feeling the PC game as we know it is going to be around for a very long, long time.

Probably get another 3 months out of it before they kill online authentication and you won't be able to play multiplayer any more :p

I honestly have no faith in Microsoft doing anything with Minecraft on the PC. You just need to look at how everyone talks about minecraft it is allllll about the 360. People seem to completely forget that Minecraft became huge on the PC first. I would be bloody surprised if Microsoft even acknowledge that Minecraft is on the PC on Monday.

Perhaps I am wrong, it would be nice if someone could give us an example of a PC franchise Microsoft got involved with and didn't completely and utterly destroy it and neglect the PC. Just one example, just one insy winsy lil example of where Microsoft didn't completely and utterly fuck the PC.

jem0208

Oh hell no, I have a feeling the PC game as we know it is going to be around for a very long, long time. 1.8 might just be the last update we ever see however, as I'm pretty sure MS will shift all development to Minecraft 2 where they can incorporate DLC and all manner of paid content.

Things won't change overnight though, that's for certain. But they are going to change....

The biggest immediate change is you are going to see Minecraft characters splashed all around all manner of Microsoft stuff, lol.

I think the most immediate change will be a Microsoft splash before Mojang when loading up the game.

jem0208

Probably get another 3 months out of it before they kill online authentication and you won't be able to play multiplayer any more :p

I honestly have no faith in Microsoft doing anything with Minecraft on the PC. You just need to look at how everyone talks about minecraft it is allllll about the 360. People seem to completely forget that Minecraft became huge on the PC first. I would be bloody surprised if Microsoft even acknowledge that Minecraft is on the PC on Monday.

Perhaps I am wrong, it would be nice if someone could give us an example of a PC franchise Microsoft got involved with and didn't completely and utterly destroy it and neglect the PC. Just one example, just one insy winsy lil example of where Microsoft didn't completely and utterly fuck the PC.

Age of Empires, whilst debatable, they did release AOE2 HD recently so all is good in my eyes.

Age of Empires, whilst debatable, they did release AOE2 HD recently so all is good in my eyes.

Right so based on that the future of Minecraft on the PC is this. They will neglect it for a few years then think "hey we can conquer the f2p market with this". Release a crappy f2p version of Minecraft that is micro transactioned up the wazoo. It will naturally fail and they will leave it in obscurity again for a couple of years before thinking "hey lets just shove out that old version of minecraft with a bit of prettification and make a few bucks". I am all of a sudden filled with hope again /s

Mengy

There are no true examples I'm afraid. And that's what really worries me. Microsoft gets greedy, but unfortunately they also make bad decisions all the time with regard to games. They both ruin franchises and ignore clear winners too. They also still make money despite these bad decisions, so if they can get away with it they will twist Minecraft into something other than it is today in an effort to make a lot of money.

Our only real hope is that the new management at MS will use a new playbook with regard to Minecraft. If not, then it's all downhill from here.

Cmagus

There are no true examples I'm afraid. And that's what really worries me. Microsoft gets greedy, but unfortunately they also make bad decisions all the time with regard to games. They both ruin franchises and ignore clear winners too. They also still make money despite these bad decisions, so if they can get away with it they will twist Minecraft into something other than it is today in an effort to make a lot of money.

Our only real hope is that the new management at MS will use a new playbook with regard to Minecraft. If not, then it's all downhill from here.

I wonder if they would ever do some sort of expansion pack instead of Minecraft 2. Some kind of pack that offer alot of new stuff yet keeping that main game intact. Chances are F2P will come into the equation down the road though with micro transactions.

Ere Minsc when you take the map down for trimming can we rename it slightly to make a distinction between Gafland 1.7. If you are after suggestions how about Gafland 8.1

Ranger X

Well, its the beginning of the end my friends.

I have been happy to play like the most incredible game ever with you guys. Seriously.

So I asked this before but it was brushed off because "that'll never happen"

What can I do to protect the game I have now? Just always play offline? I know they push the updates automatically and if they're gonna start fucking with it, I don't want those updates.

So is the game I have now fine as it is, is it in some kind of danger, how do I keep it the way it is right now?

woolley

Couldn't you just stay on 1.8? I don't see how they would be able to force an update. Or disconnect from the internet before you launch the game if your that worried about it.

Mengy

So I asked this before but it was brushed off because "that'll never happen"

What can I do to protect the game I have now? Just always play offline? I know they push the updates automatically and if they're gonna start fucking with it, I don't want those updates.

So is the game I have now fine as it is, is it in some kind of danger, how do I keep it the way it is right now?

There are many sites that have every version ever of the game archived, so if worse comes to worse and Microsoft suddenly pulls the rug out from the customers there will be options to always play whatever version you want to offline. And I'm sure re-enabling multiplayer wouldn't be a very long wait what with how many modders the community has.

However, I honestly don't think Microsoft is going to do anything to the current version of Minecraft. They aren't going to want to piss off 54 billion customers after spending $2.5 billion to get them. I think our worst case scenario here is that the game updates end with 1.8, what we have now is "the end" of Minecraft as we know it, 1.8 is the final release version of the game. They are going to get Minecraft 2 out as fast as possible so that they can start monetizing it as heavily as they can get away with.

That's the worst case. The best case is that the updates continue as Mojang has mapped out and the buyout becomes more or less transparent to the consumers. If we are super lucky that's how this will go down. (with MS though I wouldn't count on it).

There is always the possibility, however unlikely, that this may be a great thing for Minecraft. I have a bad feeling about this, but if Microsoft wants to they have a golden, and I mean GOLDEN, opportunity to really impress the gaming world and improve the world of Minecraft truly for the better. They certainly have the resources to do so if they wish to. I'm just not hopeful.

-Minsc-

Ere Minsc when you take the map down for trimming can we rename it slightly to make a distinction between Gafland 1.7. If you are after suggestions how about Gafland 8.1

How about Micro$oft Land?

As for the future of MineCraft online, we have no worries of being put in the dark. After all people all ready bypass Mojangs servers to login and play online. Everyone will just go cracked. ;)

Reminds me a bit of what happened to PSO after Sega took the official servers down.

Mengy

As for the future of MineCraft online, we have no worries of being put in the dark. After all people all ready bypass Mojangs servers to login and play online. Everyone will just go cracked. ;)

Reminds me a bit of what happened to PSO after Sega took the official servers down.

Yep, that's actually a good example. The game as we know it now will always be available, it exists now and it won't ever be taken away, not completely anyway. Chance are good we will simply be playing on 1.8 for a very long, long time.

The real question is where does Microsoft take it from here?

hepburn3d

If 1.8 is the last update at least mods can be made knowing there will be no more changes :) could have the funny situation where 1.8 gets modded into something better than Microsoft make with minecraft 2.

Ark

If 1.8 is the last update at least mods can be made knowing there will be no more changes :) could have the funny situation where 1.8 gets modded into something better than Microsoft make with minecraft 2.

If only Bukkit was to b- oh, right lol.

I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't expect MS to turn Minecraft into PvZ2. Idk, I trust them :l

Ranger X

They aren't going to want to piss off 54 billion customers after spending $2.5 billion to get them.

That over-confidence in Microsoft... lol

Microsoft are EXPERTS of digging their own holes and doing PRECISELY want people don't want. Shall I remind you how they had shit on Window users with 8? How they had shit on their healthy 360 users with the Xbone? I won't even begin on their software (games) relationships they had with countless devs.

I have ZERO faith. To me its a "guilty until proven innocent" approach. I won't give anything on this deal until they demonstrate me it was worth it and that they know what they are doing. Like you anyways, I have no hope.

Fuchsdh

Just occurred to me, but I've got a build west of Evil's hobbit hole id like not to be trimmed. It doesn't really show because I built it into or under a overhanging arch. Can't give coords on it because I didn't find it on Dynmap and I'm on mobile, but it's due west of spawn roughly across the sea on the other continent. If you don't trim any explored regions near the western edge it's prolly safe :) (or maybe it's safe if Nihons old adventure is safe.)

-Minsc-

Just occurred to me, but I've got a build west of Evil's hobbit hole id like not to be trimmed. It doesn't really show because I built it into or under a overhanging arch. Can't give coords on it because I didn't find it on Dynmap and I'm on mobile, but it's due west of spawn roughly across the sea on the other continent. If you don't trim any explored regions near the western edge it's prolly safe :) (or maybe it's safe if Nihons old adventure is safe.)

I'll keep an eye out for it.

In the process now of doing the final backups. That's it for building until 1.8 folks. :) I'll work on everything when I can, hopefully I get it all squared away by Monday.

Well figure what some are saying is the end of the (Minecraft) world as we know it is as good a time as any to say hi in here. I picked up Minecraft long ago and was addicted to it for a good year or two, during which time I commandeered a friend's server and became its head admin by virtue of actually knowing how to properly manage a Minecraft server unlike him. At some point I went over to the modded side and made a series of modpacks for a second server (at one point I actually had them connected together using a mod called BungeeCord, was cool if not kinda pointless for the fact no one was playing vanilla then lol).

As of late my interest in Minecraft has died off, but I've been playing it a bit again lately (with bad timing as I've now started a trial for FFXIV that's keeping me from doing much else) due to the PS4/Xbone hype. Figured I've put off saying hi in here for too long so, here I am!

Sarcasm

So been watching build guild and they use the pre-1.8.

1.8 release TPS sucks supposedly to the point that its better to use the beta version?

And there is no difference between pre and release right? Feature wise.

Mengy

That over-confidence in Microsoft... lol

Microsoft are EXPERTS of digging their own holes and doing PRECISELY want people don't want. Shall I remind you how they had shit on Window users with 8? How they had shit on their healthy 360 users with the Xbone? I won't even begin on their software (games) relationships they had with countless devs.

I have ZERO faith. To me its a "guilty until proven innocent" approach. I won't give anything on this deal until they demonstrate me it was worth it and that they know what they are doing. Like you anyways, I have no hope.

Oh I agree, their history gives us little reason for hope. I'm just saying they COULD turn a new leaf here and do something right for a change.

It's bound to happen sooner or later, lol.

-Minsc-

Oh I agree, their history gives us little reason for hope. I'm just saying they COULD turn a new leaf here and do something right for a change.

It's bound to happen sooner or later, lol.

The Toronto Maple Leafs are bound to win the Stanley Cup sooner or later. ;)

----

Attention Artistdude or whomever it may concern: I'd like to know where you put your puzzle cube. Details are needed. Coordinates, etc, etc.

-Minsc-

Are you going to be totally unable to move it after we move to 1.8?

I can do it after 1.8 but it'll require downloading the world file and editing it in with MCedit. It just means people won't be able to build when I do it.

BTW, someone was building something under water somewhere. Anyone by chance know who was building and where it is?

Edit: Right, found it. In the process I found a little underwater dome @ x: -2472, z: 6473 built by Dry. Want that kept?

Cmagus

I don't have the position but I have a tree farm near spawn to the left. If you want to scrap that that's fine, I checked in on it last night as something is up with it and it doesn't run great near spawn so it may be a bit useless. I was gonna break it down but I didn't have the time so feel free to flatten it. I ended up wiping everything I made outside of spawn except I have a second tree farm out there that can also go, I think I'm just gonna start fresh for 1.8.

Crispy75

I'd have thought that trimming rarely-visited areas isn't actually a prerequisite for the upgrade. The region files can be deleted whenever, really. The only critical trimming is around the new spawn area.

-Minsc-

I'd have thought that trimming rarely-visited areas isn't actually a prerequisite for the upgrade. The region files can be deleted whenever, really. The only critical trimming is around the new spawn area.

Well, while I'm at it I may as well go ahead. It'll give more places to mine the new ores. :)

Edit: Right, found it. In the process I found a little underwater dome @ x: -2472, z: 6473 built by Dry. Want that kept?

Nope

Also I'd place his mansion wherever for the time being, at least until we get Ashgadia situated and there's actual plots or whatever built.

Mengy

Whelp we may not be able to do anything with our world or our fate as PC gamers but that doesn't stop Mr Dryuriev7777 having "fun" :-

So if you want to come and blow something the "fuck" up now is your time to do it.

OOHHHH, thats a good idea, we can blow shit up now because Minsc has the backup that will be uploaded!

Top Bottom