• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Cmagus

Decided to jump back in an blow more stuff up. The place is a crater at this point lol.

iTD1nDS5enyK.png

Pandacon

Hey all, yesterday I reinstalled Minecraft after not playing it for a while. First thing I did in the game was raise the Render distance, but it happened to be quite buggy, like pieces of the world flickering around. Here is a video to demonstrate my point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvD6VsEe36o&feature=youtu.be

Perhap this has to do with some of the changes they made for 1.8, since I have played this game one my current comp before with no issues. Anyhow, if anyone has some ideas, lemme know.

Ranger X

This happens when you increase chunk distance while in-game. You save/quit reload and its gone.

And are you 1.8 for real? I mean, the option menu that appears in your video is not the 1.8 menu...

Painguy

This happens when you increase chunk distance while in-game. You save/quit reload and its gone.

And are you 1.8 for real? I mean, the option menu that appears in your video is not the 1.8 menu...

Wait srsly? cuz i have that exact menu for 1.8. I was wondering how u guys had 32 chunk render distances lol.

Pandacon

Hmm, I thought I already tried that, but I tried it again and it worked, maybe last time I didn't restart the game entirely.

And yeah, it's 1.8, thats why I left the title screen in the video since it shows it there.

Painguy

To get the 32 distance you need Java 64 bit and memory allocated..otherwise it doesn't show up.

Ahh i see. Thank you very much. I don't really see myself needing render distances that high though unless I'm very high up in the sky. 32 brings me down to 30fps (without shaders lol)

-Minsc-

Map update:

Trimming is done and Otamins Disney Land build is in place. Up next when I have a chance toady as Artistdudes puzzle cube and Crispy's new spawn. :) I should be able to start uploading the map tonight.

Map update:

Trimming is done and Otamins Disney Land build is in place. Up next when I have a chance toady as Artistdudes puzzle cube and Crispy's new spawn. :) I should be able to start uploading the map tonight.

* Drums fingers on desk impatiently

* Checks time on smartphone .... .oh an update to the redtube app

* mutters "bloody Canadians, they should spend less time dressing Mooses up in suspenders and garters and more time fulfilling the needs of the Great British Empire".

I kid, I kid. Take all the time you need. The last thing we need is for something to happen to Otamins disney park. I mean the odds are against him ever finishing it as it is ;-)

Meanwhile we are all waiting for this supposed Microsoft announcement that they are going to destroy Minecraft.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Meanwhile we are all waiting for this supposed Microsoft announcement that they are going to destroy Minecraft.

Yep, we are supposed to hear details on the Microsoft purchase of Minecraft today. I'm both excited and dreading it at the same time. Curious is probably the best word to describe it.

I've got a bad feeling about this...

Mengy

It's official, here is the first info from Major Nelson:

http://majornelson.com/2014/09/15/minecraft-joining-microsoft/

http://news.xbox.com/2014/09/games-minecraft-to-join-microsoft

Phil said:
Today is an incredibly exciting day for our team as Mojang and the Minecraft franchise join Microsoft. Minecraft is one of the most popular video games of all time, with more than 100 million downloads, on PC alone, from players since its launch in 2009. Minecraft inspires millions to create together, connects people across the globe, and is a community that is among the most active and passionate in the world.

Our relationship with Mojang began when we initially talked to the team about bringing Minecraft to the console. Minecraft quickly became the top online game on Xbox Live, with over two billion hours played on Xbox 360 in the last two years. That working relationship set the ground work for other opportunities. We’ve long seen the incredible potential of Minecraft.

At Microsoft, we believe in the power of content to unite people. Minecraft adds diversity to our game portfolio and helps us reach new gamers across multiple platforms. Gaming is the top activity across devices and we see great potential to continue to grow the Minecraft community and nurture the franchise. That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC.

The Minecraft community is passionate and diverse, ranging across all ages and demographics. We respect the brand and independent spirit that has made Minecraft great, and we’ll carry on the tradition of innovation to move the franchise forward. Our investments in cloud, Xbox Live and mobile technology will enable players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect with the Minecraft community.

We’re excited to confirm that MINECON will continue next year. We’ll look to create even more ways for the vibrant community of YouTuber’s, innovators, bloggers and players to connect with each other – both in person and online. We will have much more to share in the coming months.

The Minecraft team’s unique vision, creative energy and innovative mindset make them a perfect fit alongside our other global studios. Microsoft Studios includes 343 Industries, Turn 10 Studios, and Lionhead Studios just to name a few. These industry-leading game studios within Microsoft that have had great success with beloved games and massively popular franchises like Halo, Forza, and Fable. We’re excited to welcome Mojang to the Microsoft family and we are thrilled to support the success and longevity of Minecraft for years to come.

Phil @Xbox

Here is Mojang's official statement:

https://mojang.com/2014/09/yes-were-being-bought-by-microsoft/

hepburn3d

Just jumping in from the other thread cos I want to talk more about how this could effect the game rather than the acquisition. A small part of me is a bit optimistic about what M$ can bring to Minecraft. I'm thinking a move to direct X (obviously), more engineers on project (think Destiny parity engineers), xbox controller support on PC, frequent updates and hopefully more.

The branding of Minecraft to Microsoft is such a smooth fit it's crazy how they haven't tied up sooner.

The PR team will love the 4 blocks to 4 windows tiles. The names being almost identical, its like it's meant to be.

rQAXNXo.png

Edit: Image from other thread. Fits so well

Just jumping in from the other thread cos I want to talk more about how this could effect the game rather than the acquisition. A small part of me is a bit optimistic about what M$ can bring to Minecraft. I'm thinking a move to direct X (obviously), more engineers on project (think Destiny parity engineers), xbox controller support on PC, frequent updates and hopefully more.

Ha ha ha ha ha that's a good one. Nope what will happen now is that the PC version will be allowed to decay whilst Microsoft concentrates on the console and mobile version. If you thought 9 months was a long wait for 1.8 then you are in for a nice surprise now.

There is no way Microsoft is going to allow the PC version to remain ahead of the Xbone version in terms of features. I can easily see the Xbone version becoming the "lead" platform and the PC version getting the features sometime later.

So thanks Notch, thanks a bunch what a lovely way to reward the millions of people that support you and to think of the hissy fit Notch threw about Facebook buying Occulus, what an arsehole.

Now if Microsoft did something crazy and bundled Minecraft on all Window's machines like Minesweeper + Solitaire but I don't expect something that awesome to occur.

Fuchsdh

The branding of Minecraft to Microsoft is such a smooth fit it's crazy how they haven't tied up sooner.

The PR team will love the 4 blocks to 4 windows tiles. The names being almost identical, its like it's meant to be.

rQAXNXo.png

Edit: Image from other thread. Fits so well

A move to DirectX makes it much harder to port to different OS's, however. Obviously breaking free from Java creates compatibility issues alone, but not going along with OpenGL would preclude a synced OS X or Linux version.

hepburn3d

Ha ha ha ha ha that's a good one. Nope what will happen now is that the PC version will be allowed to decay whilst Microsoft concentrates on the console and mobile version. If you thought 9 months was a long wait for 1.8 then you are in for a nice surprise now.

There is no way Microsoft is going to allow the PC version to remain ahead of the Xbone version in terms of features. I can easily see the Xbone version becoming the "lead" platform and the PC version getting the features sometime later.

So thanks Notch, thanks a bunch what a lovely way to reward the millions of people that support you and to think of the hissy fit Notch threw about Facebook buying Occulus, what an arsehole.

Maybe. Like I say the small optimistic part of me thinks there could be potential. I won't hold my breath but it could happen that M$ bring money, engineers, servers and market experience and turn the indie game into a AAA mother ship.

hepburn3d

A move to DirectX makes it much harder to port to different OS's, however. Obviously breaking free from Java creates compatibility issues alone, but not going along with OpenGL would preclude a synced OS X or Linux version.

I would imagine the Java version would remain in development, alongside the DirectX version for Windows and Xbox. I don't see how a company that prides itself on a product could not use their own software. Feel like it's a must. I could be massively wrong but logically it seems like it has to happen.

Mengy

Notch made a blog post about it:

http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/

I'll post it here since his site is getting hammered and keeps going down:

Notch said:
I’m leaving Mojang

September 15th, 2014
I don’t see myself as a real game developer. I make games because it’s fun, and because I love games and I love to program, but I don’t make games with the intention of them becoming huge hits, and I don’t try to change the world. Minecraft certainly became a huge hit, and people are telling me it’s changed games. I never meant for it to do either. It’s certainly flattering, and to gradually get thrust into some kind of public spotlight is interesting.

A relatively long time ago, I decided to step down from Minecraft development. Jens was the perfect person to take over leading it, and I wanted to try to do new things. At first, I failed by trying to make something big again, but since I decided to just stick to small prototypes and interesting challenges, I’ve had so much fun with work. I wasn’t exactly sure how I fit into Mojang where people did actual work, but since people said I was important for the culture, I stayed.

I was at home with a bad cold a couple of weeks ago when the internet exploded with hate against me over some kind of EULA situation that I had nothing to do with. I was confused. I didn’t understand. I tweeted this in frustration. Later on, I watched the This is Phil Fish video on YouTube and started to realize I didn’t have the connection to my fans I thought I had. I’ve become a symbol. I don’t want to be a symbol, responsible for something huge that I don’t understand, that I don’t want to work on, that keeps coming back to me. I’m not an entrepreneur. I’m not a CEO. I’m a nerdy computer programmer who likes to have opinions on Twitter.

As soon as this deal is finalized, I will leave Mojang and go back to doing Ludum Dares and small web experiments. If I ever accidentally make something that seems to gain traction, I’ll probably abandon it immediately.

Considering the public image of me already is a bit skewed, I don’t expect to get away from negative comments by doing this, but at least now I won’t feel a responsibility to read them.

I’m aware this goes against a lot of what I’ve said in public. I have no good response to that. I’m also aware a lot of you were using me as a symbol of some perceived struggle. I’m not. I’m a person, and I’m right there struggling with you.

I love you. All of you. Thank you for turning Minecraft into what it has become, but there are too many of you, and I can’t be responsible for something this big. In one sense, it belongs to Microsoft now. In a much bigger sense, it’s belonged to all of you for a long time, and that will never change.

It’s not about the money. It’s about my sanity.

Fuchsdh

I'm working on that. We need to figure The layout out sometime.

Well since I won't be warping around easily now I think rails are going to be my new focus again :)

You just need to figure out where you want your station to be, really, and I can worry about connecting the lines to it. Charlie rerouted a bit of the grey line to Vyk's place so I'm not entirely sure where the best place to connect and have a station would be; prolly you're fine just picking a place for your central station and make a straight line south, then we can connect it wherever. Dry's estate has gotten so huge it really needs another stop anyhow.

Well since I won't be warping around easily now I think rails are going to be my new focus again :)

You just need to figure out where you want your station to be, really, and I can worry about connecting the lines to it. Charlie rerouted a bit of the grey line to Vyk's place so I'm not entirely sure where the best place to connect and have a station would be; prolly you're fine just picking a place for your central station and make a straight line south, then we can connect it wherever. Dry's estate has gotten so huge it really needs another stop anyhow.

Well I didn't technically "re-route" it it still follows the same route I just stuck it under ground. Dry was going to do a subway station but I think that has gone out the window now since he wants to do Ashgadia v2.0.

I dunno why but I really don't feel like playing minecraft any more. It's exactly the same feeling I got after ME 3 (never touched the series again). I seriously hate the game industry.

Mengy

I dunno why but I really don't feel like playing minecraft any more. It's exactly the same feeling I got after ME 3 (never touched the series again). I seriously hate the game industry.

Honestly, today's news gives me much more hope than I had over the weekend for the future of Minecraft. The fact that Microsoft is going to keep the game on all the platforms surprised me. Hell even the Vita version is still coming out as planned. Microsoft will soon be selling more Vita's through software than Sony themselves will be. That's unlike the Microsoft of the past few years, so maybe just maybe this new management of theirs is really serious about changing their ways as a corporation.

If they keep that same mentality going forward then this just might be a good thing afterall. I can definitely see Microsoft wanting to get the online play sorted out, and hopefully that means better multiplayer and server support (ie: bukkit functionality in the game itself). Microsoft certainly has much more resources than Mojang does, if they really want to improve things they most certainly have the power to do so.

As for the urge to play, with us moving to 1.8 I want to play now more than ever. I'm gonna spend the first week just mining the new stone types alone, lol. And then build something grand out of them.

ZZMitch

Man, I remember playing Minecraft when chickens first came out. I must have been in the first 100k to buy it. Crazy to think that it just got sold for 2.5b what a journey!

Fuchsdh

Well I didn't technically "re-route" it it still follows the same route I just stuck it under ground. Dry was going to do a subway station but I think that has gone out the window now since he wants to do Ashgadia v2.0.

I don't see why possible, even probable, bad things coming down the pipe is reason to have your enjoyment ruined in the present. Even if Minecraft disappeared tomorrow I'd have had more than my share of fun for my buck, and Microsoft can't take that away.

Don't go!

(Who knows enough Java to write a Charliebot plugin for minecraft?)

Scripting innuendo parameters now...

(Plus if Charlie goes who will actually whitelist people? :p)

Honestly, today's news gives me much more hope than I had over the weekend for the future of Minecraft. The fact that Microsoft is going to keep the game on all the platforms surprised me. Hell even the Vita version is still coming out as planned. Microsoft will soon be selling more Vita's through software than Sony themselves will be. That's unlike the Microsoft of the past few years, so maybe just maybe this new management of theirs is really serious about changing their ways as a corporation.

If they keep that same mentality going forward then this just might be a good thing afterall. I can definitely see Microsoft wanting to get the online play sorted out, and hopefully that means better multiplayer and server support (ie: bukkit functionality in the game itself). Microsoft certainly has much more resources than Mojang does, if they really want to improve things they most certainly have the power to do so.

As for the urge to play, with us moving to 1.8 I want to play now more than ever. I'm gonna spend the first week just mining the new stone types alone, lol. And then build something grand out of them.

Well, you could argue that Minecraft for Vita was coming anyhow and Microsoft saw no profit in killing it, especially as it's likely to sell well.

From the standpoint of a birds-eye view, Microsoft now is nothing like the Microsoft of even just five years ago. I think that's promising, in that the old mantra was "Windows everywhere", whereas now Microsoft seems more interested in "Microsoft software and services everywhere". Hence Office for iPad, something Ballmer and Old Microsoft considered anathema. There's a lot to be hopeful for, even as skepticism is well-placed (after all every console maker still plays by rules that seem stupid and arbitrary to PC gamers.)

Honestly, today's news gives me much more hope than I had over the weekend for the future of Minecraft. The fact that Microsoft is going to keep the game on all the platforms surprised me. Hell even the Vita version is still coming out as planned. Microsoft will soon be selling more Vita's through software than Sony themselves will be.

It was a standard "nothing is gonna change, honest" statement that is always released with take overs. Just look at any takeover and you will see a "nothing is gonna change, we greatly respect blah blah blah. This will be good for both companies" statement. Shortly after everything changes and things get destroyed. I mean lets face it they are hardly going to release a statement that goes "<<Evil laugh>> Now we own Minecraft and we are gonna fuck it 6 ways from Sunday and laugh at you all whilst we do it".

That's unlike the Microsoft of the past few years, so maybe just maybe this new management of theirs is really serious about changing their ways as a corporation.

Didn't you repost that quote where Microsoft has made something like 18 statements talking about taking a new direction and fully supporting PC gaming ? So basically they said "we are changing our ways" 18 TIMES but never did.

Cmagus

At Microsoft, we believe in the power of content to unite people. Minecraft adds diversity to our game portfolio and helps us reach new gamers across multiple platforms. Gaming is the top activity across devices and we see great potential to continue to grow the Minecraft community and nurture the franchise. That is why we plan to continue to make Minecraft available across platforms – including iOS, Android and PlayStation, in addition to Xbox and PC.

It's good that they won't be limiting the game on other platforms.

The Minecraft community is passionate and diverse, ranging across all ages and demographics. We respect the brand and independent spirit that has made Minecraft great, and we’ll carry on the tradition of innovation to move the franchise forward.

Whenever I hear innovation this scares me. It could be small things but it could also get out of hand and become a whole new game.

Our investments in cloud, Xbox Live and mobile technology will enable players to benefit from richer and faster worlds, more powerful development tools, and more opportunities to connect with the Minecraft community.

I wonder if they will offer packages for server hosting and tools for it. Seems like they really want to push this on mobile which is a given due to the reports we have heard earlier.

We’re excited to confirm that MINECON will continue next year. We’ll look to create even more ways for the vibrant community of YouTuber’s, innovators, bloggers and players to connect with each other – both in person and online. We will have much more to share in the coming months.

Kind of weird wording, a possible sign of some sort of community feature that they can make money from whether it's streaming or some sort of Minecraft channel. Maybe some sort of all in one platform.

Fuchsdh

Didn't you repost that quote where Microsoft has made something like 18 statements talking about taking a new direction and fully supporting PC gaming ? So basically they said "we are changing our ways" 18 TIMES but never did.

To be fair, Microsoft's historic weakness has been Microsoft. There was a wonderful graphic someone did somewhere highlighting the leadership structures of tech companies; Google has a basic pooled hierarchy, Apple was everything just radiating up to Steve Jobs... and Microsoft's was a bunch of fiefdoms holding guns and knives to each other. That *has* been changing in recent years; reorganization at the top and how employees get evaluated, for instance, leading to a less hostile atmosphere.

The biggest argument in favor of spinning off Xbox and Microsoft Studios has always been that they might do better being in control of their own destiny than whatever is going on with Microsoft in general, and what's good for the latter might not be for the former.

I wonder if they will offer packages for server hosting and tools for it. Seems like they really want to push this on mobile which is a given due to the reports we have heard earlier.

I hadn't considered this, but Azure would be a pretty good fit for this, actually.

Morokh

I kind of feel the same, and there is no real rational explanation but a strong gut feeling that things can only get worse, even if it's not right away.

Cmagus

I hadn't considered this, but Azure would be a pretty good fit for this, actually.

I mean they could offer different packages for servers that require a monthly payment. If the price was right they would have a profitable subscription service from it. Offer different packages like a light packages if you just want a server for you and a few of your friends and larger ones for larger amounts of people.

The whole situation is so unknown and the more I think about it the more I start to think of some interesting ways they can profit. I mean on some level there will be changes to the main game without a doubt but if they can offer alternative stuff without changing the game too much I could see this working. I just have very little faith in Microsoft.

Mengy

Man, I remember playing Minecraft when chickens first came out. I must have been in the first 100k to buy it. Crazy to think that it just got sold for 2.5b what a journey!

Yeah, I remember when chickens were added too, and zombies dropped feathers instead of chickens, LOL. And one little fire could destroy entire landscapes.

Yeah that was me.

For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

Make no mistake I don't trust Microsoft at all, they killed Flight Simulator, a very successful and longtime franchise, simply because they couldn't find a way to move it to the Xbox, and I will forever hold a grudge against them for that. However, so far the news from them is better than I expected, so that's a good sign for now at least.

Ranger X

Judging from Mojang's note, they really had a good sip of Microsoft coolaid.
I have to side with Charlie there (although I will continue to play this game until it pisses me off). Don't let yourself being impressed with PR and comments on a buyout. It means JACKSHIT. Trust me. They are the boss after that, they are the ones who will deal with new decisions when they'll stupidly try to grow this franchise in a way that probably won't fit. They are the ones that will make stupid decisions when they will realise that deal doesn't make as much money as in their unrealistic dreams. Its Microsoft, they are driving a Ferrari right now but with a probation driver liscence, that's what's happening.

That coolaid sure smells good but I ain't taking a sip. That's for sure. Its perfumed chemicals.

Fuchsdh

Judging from Mojang's note, they really had a good sip of Microsoft coolaid.
I have to side with Charlie there (although I will continue to play this game until it pisses me off). Don't let yourself being impressed with PR and comments on a buyout. It means JACKSHIT. Trust me. They are the boss after that, they are the ones who will deal with new decisions when they'll stupidly try to grow this franchise in a way that probably won't fit. They are the ones that will make stupid decisions when they will realise that deal doesn't make as much money as in their unrealistic dreams. Its Microsoft, they are driving a Ferrari right now but with a probation driver liscence, that's what's happening.

That coolaid sure smells good but I ain't taking a sip. That's for sure. Its perfumed chemicals.

But that's what normal Kool-Aid is, too.

-Minsc-

Hey Crispy! You have a finished copy of New Spawn for me?

About the Microsoft stuff:

We still have 1.8 so at the very least I can keep playing that until I grow tired of the game. There's more to life than Minecraft. If the game goes down I can easily find another game or things to fill the void.

If all the PR is only half smoke and mirrors (some of it is, that's just the nature of PR), then MC still has life left in it.

Top Bottom