• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

I don't know if it's funny or sad, but the Minecraft reddit basically went through all the well known phases of grief.

As for Minecraft Youtubers, the few I saw sharing a piece of opinion about all this, were rather sharing platitudes and non-opinions, which is as understandable as disappointing seeing as they are pretty much the only ones that could have a significant amount of leverage with the community against MS should they start to fuck things up.

I think there's no real strong opinions because we're unsure where Microsoft will go with this. New leadership that we haven't had a long time to get a feel for. History says that any big company buying something smaller will wreck it (if said company is not Amazon), but I do think it is unfair to apply Steve Ballmer's ideology to current MS. He was run out of the company for a reason, after all.

That being said, I am watching what they do carefully. Not just for six months or a year, but from now on in perpetuity. I am not afraid of calling them out on their bullshit but so far, I don't have anything to call them out on.

Fuchsdh

So question on practicalities: since we're going to be running survival/creative side by side, can we switch between them on the fly? I have some ideas of creative builds I'd be happy to do on the server, but for things like continuing transit systems, etc, I think I'd rather do them "the hard way".

Cmagus

So question on practicalities: since we're going to be running survival/creative side by side, can we switch between them on the fly? I have some ideas of creative builds I'd be happy to do on the server, but for things like continuing transit systems, etc, I think I'd rather do them "the hard way".

I feel the same way, it's the only reason I only play survival as I never have enjoyed creative mode. Although I imagine this could be helpful for materials in low numbers.

-Minsc-

I can set up command blocks for this very purpose. :)

Fuchsdh

I can set up command blocks for this very purpose. :)

That would be very helpful! So then would your survival inventory stay "intact" when you switched back, or would I need to dump my inventory, switch to creative to do whatever, and then switch back and grab my stuff from a chest?

I have to wonder what strange beings play Minecraft in third person. There has to be at least one person out there.

Ah I sometimes play in 3rd person so I can role play as femshep on a barren alien world and has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with me lechering over femsheps arse .... really it hasn't. It can be fun in 3rd person to travel on the mine carts though.

Crispy75

I have a busy evening ahead of me. Minsc, do you have an estimated time for when the new spawn goes live? Would be nice to fit an hour or so in and build a little spawntown hovel :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
You know, the more I think about this deal and the past few months of the game, I have to wonder if the Bukkit guys knew something in advance? Jeb joked more than a month ago that 1.8 might be called "The Final Update", the bukkit team seemed to stop with 1.7 and never even really started on 1.8 support at all, I have to wonder how much people behind the scenes knew about this?

Maybe the Bukkit guys were given the advice "don't bother updating, it won't matter very soon anyway"?

Oh and Minsc, hurray the hell up!!!!!!! :D

-Minsc-

I have a busy evening ahead of me. Minsc, do you have an estimated time for when the new spawn goes live? Would be nice to fit an hour or so in and build a little spawntown hovel :)

Oh and Minsc, hurray the hell up!!!!!!! :D

3075135.jpg

Almost there. I have to re-upload the nether and end as it seems they now need to be included in the main world folder. Mostly now I'm just waiting for my internet connection.

Edit: Some notes.

- I disabled fire spread, while lightning can start fires the rain can put it out. Lava still spreads and can set blocks on fire. While blocks can still catch fire it won't consume the block or spread.
- Mob griefing is disabled.
- PVP is on.
- I've created a warp pillar in both Spawn (replaces the old warp gate) and the new lands. This will for quick travel between the two points.
- There's no /spawn command.
- I'll add game mode changing stations at a later time.
- It seems game rule commands world specific. The over world, nether, and end have different files. I only disabled fire spread and mob griefing in the over world currently.

NewLandsWarp.png

3075135.jpg

Almost there. I have to re-upload the nether and end as it seems they now need to be included in the main world folder. Mostly now I'm just waiting for my internet connection.

Edit: Some notes.

- I disabled fire spread, while lightning can start fires the rain can put it out. Lava still spreads and can set blocks on fire. While blocks can still catch fire it won't consume the block or spread.
- Mob griefing is disabled.
- PVP is on.
- I've created a warp pillar in both Spawn (replaces the old warp gate) and the new lands. This will for quick travel between the two points.
- There's no /spawn command.
- I'll add game mode changing stations at a later time.
- It seems game rule commands world specific. The over world, nether, and end have different files. I only disabled fire spread and mob griefing in the over world currently.

NewLandsWarp.png

You would post something from Red Green, being all Canadian and such :p

Anyways, glad to hear the progress is coming nicely and can't wait for the server to be back up!

Ark

THE OMNIPOTENT KINGDOM OF ARKYOTO SURVIVES THE GREAT PURGE THANKS TO THE ETERNAL BENEVOLENCE OF GLORIOUS LEADER MINSC.

I'm all for an OT4 by the way. A new OT in the gaming-side always brings in new folks and more traffic :D Though a new OT will probably be filled with "Microsoft is bad lol".

-Minsc-

THE OMNIPOTENT KINGDOM OF ARKYOTO SURVIVES THE GREAT PURGE THANKS TO THE ETERNAL BENEVOLENCE OF GLORIOUS LEADER MINSC.

I'm all for an OT4 by the way. A new OT in the gaming-side always brings in new folks and more traffic :D Though a new OT will probably be filled with "Microsoft is bad lol".

Let us have a bit of time with 1.8 before we lure in the new blood.

Oh, BTW...

plaidwarp640.gif

NEOCRAFT HIS REACHED LUDICROUS SPEED!!!

(1.8 is live)

Edit: For the mods and admins.

Code:
Sets permission level for ops.
1 - Ops can bypass spawn protection.
2 - Ops can use /clear, /difficulty, /effect, /gamemode, /gamerule, /give, and /tp, and can edit command blocks.
3 - Ops can use /ban, /deop, /kick, and /op.
4 - Ops can use /stop.

I set Ark and myself as op lvl 4. Charlie and mangy are op lvl 2. We can change this later if need be.

Mengy

True. I'll discuss it with the mods, normally a new OT is only allowed once an old one reaches post saturation but maybe in light of the Microsoft deal they'll allow it.

I'll inquire.

-Minsc-

Everything should be in working order. I must head back to work now so if anything breaks I'll have to fix it later.

Bentles

That would be very helpful! So then would your survival inventory stay "intact" when you switched back, or would I need to dump my inventory, switch to creative to do whatever, and then switch back and grab my stuff from a chest?

You'd have to leave it in a chest or something. I feel like you can access everything a player has on them with command blocks. So I'm pretty sure it would be possible to take it off automatically as part of the command but then it would need to be put somewhere. If that's even possible it's probably pretty complicated to do.

@Charlie yeah 3rd person is good for boats/horses/minecarts but I just know there's some fool who exclusively plays like that. Maybe they hit F5 by accident right at the start lol

EDIT: Looks good so far. Thanks Minsc.

Mengy

Sweet, do we have to ask when we want to go creative or we can change whenever we do?

I personally want to play creative now

You don't have to ask, the new rule is play however you want to with regard to mode.

I'll of course be in survival mode only, even if I'm the only one on the whole server! :)

Fuchsdh

You don't have to ask, the new rule is play however you want to with regard to mode.

I'll of course be in survival mode only, even if I'm the only one on the whole server! :)

It is said the Survival mode master race will painstakingly stock up TNT for the day when they shall destroy the Creative heretics in a fell swoop of griefing carnage.

-Minsc-

Oops, I knew there was something I forgot to reply to.

For as long as I can remember you could access your survival inventory by clicking that chest tab in your creative inventory screen. No need to get all complicated unloading all your survival gear. Just to be safe it's always a good idea move your valuable gear up into your inventory before switching to creative.

-Minsc-

Sweet, do we have to ask when we want to go creative or we can change whenever we do?

I personally want to play creative now
Right now you'll have to ask a mod to change your game mode. Once I get around to it you be able to change your game mode with the push of a button thanks to command blocks.

Ranger X

Right now you'll have to ask a mod to change your game mode. Once I get around to it you be able to change your game mode with the push of a button thanks to command blocks.

Ok, just tell me when that is possible pls and I'll connect online -- or I'll ask a mod

Personally, survival is more fun for me, but creative does have the benefit of being able to supply oneself with an ample amount of bedrock to be used in builds.

Do a lot of you play adventure? Looking through some Youtube videos, and it just seems like there is an endless supply of fun to be had.

Ranger X

Honestly I would play survival with you. But 1.8 runs so bad on my computer that there's no fun to be had outside creative mode for me right now. :/

masud

Banned
Well it seems like I cant play 1.8 at all game keeps crashing on me every couple of minutes on gafland. Same thing happens in sp but only every 20 minutes. I remember somebody saying something about a memory setting to adjust in java? How do I do that?

So with 1.8 I thought to myself, why not play minecraft again and there even is a GAF server, perfect!
My IGN is KuroPyonyo (there is a whitelist right?)

ShadiWulf

Well it seems like I cant play 1.8 at all game keeps crashing on me every couple of minutes on gafland. Same thing happens in sp but only every 20 minutes. I remember somebody saying something about a memory setting to adjust in java? How do I do that?

on the edit profile page of the launcher check the JVM Arguments box and put something like this in it:

-Xmx2048m

that would allocate 2GB of ram to the game, which is what i do and it runs just fine. put however much you want, though. Running in VBO mode also seems to help a tiny bit, which is a video setting when in game. Also make sure you got 64bit Java installed otherwise there is no point in allocating extra RAM.

masud

Banned
on the edit profile page of the launcher check the JVM Arguments box and put something like this in it:

that would allocate 2GB of ram to the game, which is what i do and it runs just fine. put however much you want, though. Running in VBO mode also seems to help a tiny bit, which is a video setting when in game. Also make sure you got 64bit Java installed otherwise there is no point in allocating extra RAM.

Thanks I found that online and that did the trick. Not only that but I can play with render distance 32 now!

ShadiWulf

Thanks I found that online and that did the trick. Not only that but I can play with render distance 32 now!

If the gafland server actually lets you see at a 32 render distance then that would explain our performance issues :p

most servers are set to 10 chunk view distance.

ShadiWulf

That reminds me, I set it to 12. I suppose I should bump it back down to 10.

worth a try. from the wiki:
Sets the amount of world data the server sends the client, measured in chunks in each direction of the player (radius, not diameter). It determines the server-side viewing distance. The "Far" viewing distance is 16 chunks, sending 1089 total chunks (the amount of chunks that the server will load can be seen in the debug screen). "Normal" view distance is 8, for 289 chunks.

10 is the default/recommended. If you have major lag, reduce this value.

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server.properties

view distance of 8 sounds crappy i know, but it might be worth trying if 10 doesn't seem to fully fix the issue, better then a bunch of lag and getting kicked.

Philia

Um... I'm curious about something. My husband still have yet bought another copy for me on pc. Now that MS owns Mojang, do we expect a price hike later?

Adnor

Banned
Um... I'm curious about something. My husband still have yet bought another copy for me on pc. Now that MS owns Mojang, do we expect a price hike later?

I doubt it. Minecraft had price hikes before, but we knew those would happen since the alpha. MC got his final price when it hit version 1.0.
Maybe now that MS owns Mojang we can expect a price drop, or sales!
(Don't expect a price drop or sales)

Mengy

That reminds me, I set it to 12. I suppose I should bump it back down to 10.

Edit: BTW, here's mengy's map of the server.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61524402/Neocraft Gafland/index.html#/-95/64/-246/-9/0/0

I'll have to get a backup of the new map and update the map, hopefully in a day or two.

Minsc, about our memory problems, I did some researching and it seems to be an issue with 1.8 that may be easily solved with a parameter upon server startup, read post #14 of this thread:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...205991-1-8-server-crashing-skipping-ticks#c14

Server Symptoms:
  • Server logged many [Server thread/WARN] messages whereas NONE were logged before upgrading to 1.8
  • CPU use maxed out on all cores. More specifically Java.exe (or the Javaw.exe) process taxes the CPU even with no players connected, and spikes between consuming 65% and 99% of the CPU.
  • Java would not correctly allocate memory, ie: Allocate a gig, only 256mb would be used.
Resolution:
  • Edited the script that starts the server to include the nogui option at the end of the execute Java command.
  • Link to Minecraft Forum's tutorial for a simple server start script

This link here has some info on it:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server#Starting_from_the_command_line

Here is an example of a bat file that starts the Minecraft server on Windows. Put it in the same directory the Minecraft server is.

title run-minecraft
java -Xms1024M -Xmx2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
pause

I took a look at our server's config files and I'm not sure how we can set startup parameters with Multiplay, maybe you can figure it out? Enabling the "-nogui" option might solve our issues.

ShadiWulf

I'll have to get a backup of the new map and update the map, hopefully in a day or two.

Minsc, about our memory problems, I did some researching and it seems to be an issue with 1.8 that may be easily solved with a parameter upon server startup, read post #14 of this thread:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...205991-1-8-server-crashing-skipping-ticks#c14

This link here has some info on it:

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server#Starting_from_the_command_line

Here is an example of a bat file that starts the Minecraft server on Windows. Put it in the same directory the Minecraft server is.

I took a look at our server's config files and I'm not sure how we can set startup parameters with Multiplay, maybe you can figure it out? Enabling the "-nogui" option might solve our issues.

That would certainly help if he has access to such commands. On a server I host myself for me and a friend i had to increase the RAM allocation to make things run smoothly. Most commercial services don't give you access to such commands though, they allocate you RAM based on your payment fee. Unless he hosts the server himself.

EDIT: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...216808-realms-lagg-and-no-one-at-mojang-cares

Seems Mojang's official servers are laggy, too.

Don't worry though, MS will release a $10 Latency removal update.

Top Bottom