• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My general excuse is a lack of time between school and work. I get so into this game that I have to forbid myself from playing it lol

But my gaming excuse is that I have a Destiny addiction

I haven't played Minecraft for a few days now, even though I desperately want to, especially now that the server is updated. My excuse though is that I mistakenly started a game of Civ 5 just to try out a few mods that a friend of mine was talking about. 14 hours of Civ 5 gameplay later and I'll be playing MInecraft this weekend hopefully, just after one more turn....

Damn Civilization 5. There's a reason it's my most played game on Steam....

Fuchsdh

I think I was close to buying Civ V for Mac, but I ended up getting Civilization Revolutions for free with Games with Gold on XBL. I'm really annoyed by the turn-based aspects, honestly, especially with how I feel like I'm fighting the game to fight others. Maybe the KB+mouse makes Civ V a better game.

Ranger X

My general excuse is a lack of time between school and work. I get so into this game that I have to forbid myself from playing it lol

But my gaming excuse is that I have a Destiny addiction

Oh I see. Real life situations...

meh, overrated...

ShadiWulf

I haven't been on cause I seem to have such a bouncy one track mine. I've been really into learning programming at the moment and could care less about Minecraft, but maybe next week I'll like Minecraft again.

Has anyone here played Minetest? I bring it up cause a friend of mine has been playing it and he was commenting on how it's modding support allows him to do things Minecraft never allowed him to do, but hes not good at coding, so I'm not sure what hes talking about. Was just curious if anyone knew.

gblues

Banned
I have a modest house in Frontier Town, which has a giant acacia treehouse that's nearly as tall as the floating NeoGAF balloon.

I also put in the public farm, and did some other miscellaneous landscaping (including putting polished diorite in the drop down into the public mine.

Ranger X

Questions questions...

I remember that at some point frames where causing a toll on the servers. Is it still the case or I can use them to my heart's content?

-SD-

Banned
Please, disregard the previous wheat pic. Just for the heck of it, I filled Slime Pit with wheat, of all things. Now it's named Weetapit. 15878 wheat blocks in total, if you are wondering.

2014-09-29_12.39.08_seycnv.png

There's tons of ugly-ass moire patterns without antialiasing. Luckily, 8x supersample antialising fixes most of it. Here's a comparison...

No AA: http://abload.de/img/2014-09-29_12.44.43mii0t.png
8x supersample AA: http://abload.de/img/2014-09-29_12.45.50_sw9e6g.png

Fuchsdh

Please, disregard the previous wheat pic. Just for the heck of it, I filled Slime Pit with wheat, of all things. Now it's named Weetapit. 15878 wheat blocks in total, if you are wondering.

2014-09-29_12.39.08_seycnv.png

There's tons of ugly ass moire without antialiasing. Luckily, 8x supersample antialising fixes most of it. Here's a comparison...

No AA: http://abload.de/img/2014-09-29_12.44.43mii0t.png
8x supersample AA: http://abload.de/img/2014-09-29_12.45.50_sw9e6g.png

Supersampling isn't a default option in the Minecraft video options, is it?

-SD-

Banned
Supersampling isn't a default option in the Minecraft video options, is it?
It's not, which is sad.

Here's how I enabled AA for my NVIDIA card on Windows 7.

1. C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\options.txt
2. Change fboEnable:true to fboEnable:false
3. Add javaw.exe to Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings
4. Antialising Mode - Override, Setting - preferred, Transparency - preferred
5. Apply

Other way to up image quality is to use GeDoSaTo or Dynamic Super Resolution via GeForce Experience (if you've got the right hardware for DSR).

Fuchsdh

It's not, which is sad.

Here's how I enabled AA for my NVIDIA card on Windows 7.

1. C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\options.txt
2. Change fboEnable:true to fboEnable:false
3. Add javaw.exe to Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings
4. Antialising Mode - Override, Setting - preferred, Transparency - preferred
5. Apply

Other way to up image quality is to use GeDoSaTo or Dynamic Super Resolution via GeForce Experience (if you've got the right hardware for DSR).

I'm on a Mac, so all the cool tricks you can do with Control Panels and such don't exist :( AMD hasn't produced one for Intel Macs, even.

Mengy

While I still have a lot of work to do I've gotten my guardian farm working good enough to let everyone have access to it.

The location of the farm is south on the orange line.

In case anyone was curious here's the giant hole I had to clear out.

And here's my original set up for the farm:

And here is where I'm mostly at now:

Damn, that looks sweet! I plan on playing Wednesday night, and I need some of the new light and block mats so I'll check it out.

Fuchsdh

While I still have a lot of work to do I've gotten my guardian farm working good enough to let everyone have access to it.

The location of the farm is south on the orange line.

In case anyone was curious here's the giant hole I had to clear out.

And here's my original set up for the farm:

And here is where I'm mostly at now:

That looks very cool! I will definitely make use of it! Did you make it a metro stop or is it just a walk from your Woolley stop?

Fuchsdh

"And then I have to walk home..."

Well if you guys had just waited a couple months, I would have gotten around to extending the rail lines that way west. It's next on my to-do list once I link the orange line to Pioneer Town/New Spawn. Speaking of which....

Updated GAF Map! I'll probably still keep updating the "real world" distance one but considering the size of the rail this abstract one is probably more useful. Dotted lines are planned rail extensions. There's already one new station, Nordenberg, heading north through the mountains towards Pioneer Town, and I believe Charlie has finished a footpath going the entire length and is following up with the rails for the continuation of the red line.

Click it to make it huge.

Fuchsdh

Sorry mobile, that is the new rail for the 1.8 side?

That's *all* the overworld rails. Right now we've got a station in Pioneer town that will be connected to the orange line at least, and possibly the red line, if that's Charlie's wish. Otherwise there aren't any new lines by the new spawn. Anyone who wants to can start a local line; there's three west-bound lines up top and then at least one free N/S line on the lower levels.

Ranger X

Here's another version of the map where I added the trails I made lately. They are the small black lines.

If some of you happen to travel by horse sometimes, the trails are going through some very nice scenery. The parts in the jungle are also cool I think.

I don't know if I'll continue to make trails but I would be down for it if there's interest. I think it could be cool to have 2 sets of tracks. Fast train tracks like we already do and also a network of more panoramic trails.

TrailMap_zpsf1142bb5.png

Fuchsdh

Here's another version of the map where I added the trails I made lately. They are the small black lines.

If some of you happen to travel by horse sometimes, the trails are going through some very nice scenery. The parts in the jungle are also cool I think.

I don't know if I'll continue to make trails but I would be down for it if there's interest. I think it could be cool to have 2 sets of tracks. Fast train tracks like we already do and also a network of more panoramic trails.

TrailMap_zpsf1142bb5.png

I'll definitely add the trails to the scaled map. Problem with not having dynmap is now you have to trek everything manually...

Nice map, Fuchs. Also a good reminder that I need to begin the planning groundwork for Katzegard Grand Terminal. I think I will connect it to the Purple and Cyan lines as well as Wyz's path.

I am just glad to be done with TerraFirmaCrack editing for this year, finally. I can get back to regular life, lol.

EDIT: Also, any chance for a map download, either in full or just my chunk of the map? Need it for some pre-planning purposes.

Love the map Fuch. Just an FYI there is a rail route from Lucy Versamy station (I am such a perve) to Dome City. It should be on the left of the red line going west. But other than that it's cool. Right time to get on with working on the Tampon Extension.

-Minsc-

EDIT: Also, any chance for a map download, either in full or just my chunk of the map? Need it for some pre-planning purposes.

Could you list which mca files you'd like? It would be quicker for me to download those rather than the whole map. Mengy's map lists the file name of each tile.

Mengy

Mengy did you make a map of creative neocraft before you took it down?

No, I had to delete the old map to make room on my dropbox for the GAFland map, which has grown so large that I couldn't fit both online at the same time.

Minsc might have a dynamap of it still, not sure.

-Minsc-

No, I had to delete the old map to make room on my dropbox for the GAFland map, which has grown so large that I couldn't fit both online at the same time.

Minsc might have a dynamap of it still, not sure.

Dynmap does not work with vanilla servers (AFAIK).

Well bummer, because I forgot the coords to ashgadia hihi. The world needs a new helix building! But I forgot exactly how I did the curves :")

It is pretty easy to find. Firstly from spawn head North to Dome City. Once at Dome City head to the back of it towards the amusement park dome and get to the centre of that dome. Once at the centre turn to face WEST and walk up to the door way and go through it. You will see one of my infamous non-tampon rail lines that goes west, follow that all the way around and you will eventually come to ashgadia.

The coordinates are x -570 y121 z -1400

If you can't follow those instructions then an alternative route is to head east to the kitchen, make Evil a sandwich whilst he follows them for you ;-)

Mengy

I love creative. I retract all my previous condemnations.
(fits in much better with looking after a baby let me tell you)

I use creative offline a lot to test out how architecture styles look with different materials, but when I'm playing the game I much MUCH prefer survival. For me, the satisfaction of building something large and impressive is so much stronger when I've gathered the materials the hard way. Personally most of the fun for me is in the gathering. Cutting and planting trees, growing crops and animals to keep myself fed, smelting cobble and netherrack for bricks, mining to get coal to smelt and to find diamond to fix my aging tools, defending myself from monsters at night because I don't want to wait for the sun to keep building. Literally all of these things become moot and not needed when in creative, and for me they are the best parts of the game.

Crispy75

I enjoy all that stuff too, but when my time is restricted, I think I prefer to just spend it building, rather than doing a very little of everything IYSWIM

limlark

If you can't follow those instructions then an alternative route is to head east to the kitchen, make Evil a sandwich whilst he follows them for you ;-)
Quoted for posterity. And in case the mods don't see this: Charlie, you get away with a lot of obnoxious behavior, and I know other Gaffers actually find it funny, but you have no business actively directing sexist remarks at another member. That is crossing the line on your part. And shame on the posters after you for letting it pass without comment.

Top Bottom