• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Sarcasm

Not just gets updates first...always is ahead in terms of updates.

Game already updates slowly but the console versions stay back a few updates, by the time they catch up PC is updated again.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
How do you guys start a build? I'm trying to start Spookyville but actually finding somewhere to lay the founding blocks is so difficult. I always over-think Minecraft builds.

Honestly, I used to get "builders block" where every time I went to start something new I found that simply starting it was the hardest part. Now I've figured out how to get around that: I simply start plopping blocks down. It's like I know that any block you place can be chopped back down again and moved if need be but I used to really hate making mistakes like that, so I'd plan it all out in my head before even laying one block. Now I just build and let it evolve right in front of me. Sure it means I'm tearing a lot of shit down just to move it all one block over here or two blocks over there, but in the end it's easier and more fun to just build it and change whatever I want to change along the way.

-Minsc-

Honestly, I used to get "builders block" where every time I went to start something new I found that simply starting it was the hardest part. Now I've figured out how to get around that: I simply start plopping blocks down. It's like I know that any block you place can be chopped back down again and moved if need be but I used to really hate making mistakes like that, so I'd plan it all out in my head before even laying one block. Now I just build and let it evolve right in front of me. Sure it means I'm tearing a lot of shit down just to move it all one block over here or two blocks over there, but in the end it's easier and more fun to just build it and change whatever I want to change along the way.

This pretty much mirrors how I build. Any of my projects typically start with a basic idea and evolve in to something different. Visualizing it all in my head beforehand is just too much, doing so would kill my motivation. If I was really ambitious I'd sketch and plan things out on paper to let off the pressure of keeping things organized in my head. Since I like to jump in and get started my pre-planning generally stops with crunching a few numbers.

To Ark: Instead of thinking of Spookyville as a whole, pick one little segment and build it. This could be a graveyard, a haunted mansion or anything. It doesn't have to be a biggest part of the project, a simple scarecrow may all that's needed to act as a catalyst to bring the entire project to life. :)

So basically, do what Mengy said. ;P

Is there any way you can make an Applied Energistics system auto craft an item, like a cyclic assembler from Thermal Expansion?

I'm playing Skyfactory and most of my ores come from using a sieve with gravel, sand, and dust. From those come broken ore items which need to be crafted into dust by a 4x4 array, then put into a pulverizer and furnace. Right now I have a cyclic assembler setup but I'd like to get some more room.

i9kyhXsNNOaW3.jpg
Here is my current set up for refining all 9 types of ore I get from gravel alone.

Edit: Okay, I figured out the autocrafting, using an export bus onto an me interface works with the export bus in craft mode and the recipe in the me assembler. That all works fine, but now the interface won't send the ore gravel to the pulverizer even with the right recipe in the interface. Gah.

Ark

Well, the foundations of Spookyville are almost set! Once I've built my house and maybe some other stuff I'll get a railroad going from 1.8 Spawn to the place and people are more than welcome to build there. Shouldn't take more than a day or two.

r1chard

Edit: Okay, I figured out the autocrafting, using an export bus onto an me interface works with the export bus in craft mode and the recipe in the me assembler. That all works fine, but now the interface won't send the ore gravel to the pulverizer even with the right recipe in the interface. Gah.
Cool. ME is on my list of things to play with once I'm done being a witch. It feels like it's skating dangerously close to being Creative Mode ;)

I've been having fun watching the Yogscast Complete series Hole Diggers constructing a quite insane ME/Big Reactors/mutli-dimensional/LAZOR factory :)

[I'm not sure which mod has the mining laser, actually]

And now the autocrafting stopped working, I just don't understand you, Applied Energistics.

OKAY, I figured it all out.

Turns out, you do not need to put an me interface on the pulverizer for this to work. Also, make sure that you put the export bus in craft mode and put the completed recipe you want in the items slots. I'm now auto pulverizing and smelting 8 different ores with one pulverizer/furnace combo. Sooooooooo good.

And now the autocrafting stopped working, I just don't understand you, Applied Energistics.

OKAY, I figured it all out.

Turns out, you do not need to put an me interface on the pulverizer for his to work. Also, make sure that you put the export bus in craft mode and put the completed recipe you want in the items slots. I'm now auto pulverizing and smelting 8 different ores with one pulverizer/furnace combo. Sooooooooo good.

You on a modded server or is that an offline game?

I'm curious because I'm looking for a populated Neogaf modded server to play on.

Sarcasm

That is modded and like every server population goes up and down. Though NeoGAF has been actually up for the longest I ever knew.

You on a modded server or is that an offline game?

I'm curious because I'm looking for a populated Neogaf modded server to play on.

Every once in a while someone sets up a modded GAF server, but they never last longer than ~2 months. More effort goes into them than people play to make it worth it, I imagine... Last server it was pretty much just Vlad and I :-\

Mengy

So from Dinnerbone's tweets lately it sounds like they are going to be releasing a 1.8.1 update soon with some bugfixes and optimizations, but any news or snapshots for 1.9 is going to be a while off yet. I honestly have no idea what they have planned for 1.9, kind of anxious to see what it will have.

I wonder if 1.8.1 will have a Microsoft banner added to the Mojang spalsh page too,LOL.

Sarcasm

Since 1.8.1 is optimizations..when the release version of it comes just a straight up update correct? (the pre-release is soon).

Also...is it possible to trade or something to change a spawner? I feel odd asking this but this zombie one has turned out to be..annoying. I even made it to accommodate the babies but yeah. I do know the command to give certain spawners.

dmosher

Well, I came in for my first tour of NeoCraft and holy crap there is a lot to see in the world! I'm pretty much a Minecraft neophyte; I've been playing with my kids on the PS4 version but heard the PC version was much more involved and had a copy on my Mojang account from 2010.

I poked around the museum and the helix building, impressive! All kinds of mechanisms and things I never knew you could build all over the place. I've read the OT but can someone give me a quick rundown on what the rules on the server are? Where can I build? What should I do? Do people go on skype or voice chat?

Cheers :)

Sarcasm

Rules are the common sense rules. Respect and such.

Also no rules on where..but we recommend not going to far from either spawns. I know you found the warp to the new 1.8 spawn since I heard "oh hey a balloon".

dmosher

Also no rules on where..but we recommend not going to far from either spawns. I know you found the warp to the new 1.8 spawn since I heard "oh hey a balloon".

Yup, I found the buttons to change game modes and warp me around. Took a tour on a couple rail lines in survival mode, died, and then decided to creative float for the rest of my tour.

Now to decide what to build... I was working on a Roman style colosseum with my kids in the PS4 version, perhaps I'll continue that. Where is this spookytown located?

Fuchsdh

Yup, I found the buttons to change game modes and warp me around. Took a tour on a couple rail lines in survival mode, died, and then decided to creative float for the rest of my tour.

Now to decide what to build... I was working on a Roman style colosseum with my kids in the PS4 version, perhaps I'll continue that. Where is this spookytown located?

Roughly X-3000, Z-5000ish? In a swamp. Can't remember off the top of my head, but if you fly around you can probably find it. (Or Ark can post here :p)

Dry knows where it is too so you can ask him. I'll be working on a rail line out that way in due time.

-Minsc-

Just to add, anywhere on the explored map is fine. There's little need to go beyond the explored areas but it's not against the rules. The areas up north around the new town were generated for 1.8, they would be your best bet for getting the new blocks. As your neighbour before you build, you never know what they have planned. :)

Mirk

Just a heads up to anyone who used the modded server. It will be shut down on the 26th of this month. I haven't had the time to use or check on it lately. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm.

Vlad

Just a heads up to anyone who used the modded server. It will be shut down on the 26th of this month. I haven't had the time to use or check on it lately. If you have any questions just shoot me a pm.

Yeah, I don't know if anybody is still on it any more. I gave up about a month ago when I was pretty much the only person ever on.

-Minsc-

Yeah, I don't know if anybody is still on it any more. I gave up about a month ago when I was pretty much the only person ever on.
It's possible if there was an OT for modded minecraft there's be more playing on that server. Hard to say though. Even the main server has it's dry spells where it's difficult to get more than a couple people on.

Vlad

It's possible if there was an OT for modded minecraft there's be more playing on that server. Hard to say though. Even the main server has it's dry spells where it's difficult to get more than a couple people on.

From what I've seen on the usual trajectory on modded servers, once people start getting the end-game equipment, interest tapers off, even if the server offers more options for building than vanilla does.

Vlad

Modded servers always die the fastest.

The more mod packs I mess around with, the more I really think a "less is more" approach would almost work a bit better with them. While you can have all the decorative mods you want, a lot of the mods have issues with overlap.

For example, you can have IC2, Thermal Expansion, and Mekanism on a server, and people will usually just focus on Mekanism's stuff when it comes to ore processing and power generation. For the most part, it's just not worth it to make any of the machines from the other mods unless your building something very specific. Same thing goes for weapons and armor, with IC2's Nano-Saber and Quantum Armor usually being the best options. The other mods have stuff available, but it just can't compare.

Another thing I always see pop up is the lack of something to really utilize a high level of power generation. Mirk added the Big Reactors mod to his last pack, and I don't think anybody ever used them since there really weren't any machines that required that amount of energy. An array of solar panels could be made more cheaply than any of the reactors, didn't require a supply of Yellorium, and supplied more than enough juice for anything that you could possibly make. Hell, I had about 15 advanced solars from Mekanism and I was able to keep my Mass Fabricator running around the clock just fine.

Sarcasm

And that is exactly the issue with mods.

Funny how it is actually more limited when more is added. Than it usually boils down to farming more items, automation and just building the stuff that you haven't used.

Vlad

And that is exactly the issue with mods.

Funny how it is actually more limited when more is added. Than it usually boils down to farming more items, automation and just building the stuff that you haven't used.

I'd actually like to see a mod pack that didn't have a lot of "win button" type stuff. Tinker's Construct would actually be really neat on its own, and while I don't know if it's been updated in a while, but Better Than Wolves was always good for that sort of thing. Thaumcraft has a good balance between utility and balance, as well. There's some automation possible with golems, and the wands tend to be a bit powerful, but it's not as overpowering as some of the stuff in your usual mod packs.

-Minsc-

For me the choice of vanilla over modded is all a matter of time. If I play on a modded server I won't be playing on the vanilla server. With vanilla the "end game" is what ever I make it. Right now there's still so much in my mind I can do on the main sever it's hard to justify playing elsewhere.

I do like the idea of "less is more". As said above, there's nothing wrong with adding plenty of decorative block, focusing on say just the railway mod would mean we'd actually make use of it. When I played on the mod server well over a year ago that was one of the things I noticed. There were so many mods there which never had any use.

Holkin

Moded server is very nice idea. You can reach that moment when you have nothing to do unlike building in both variants, but with Extra trees mod it becomes far far later. The problem is mods doing many usual things not necessary. With buildcraft you're doing caving for about 1 hour. There is no sense to explore caves more. But the most significant problem is server overload with all this staff like automation when lags and bugs appear. Then you need just to shut down the server. As for building you have all vanilla blocks in moded minecraft.

Vlad

I do like the idea of "less is more". As said above, there's nothing wrong with adding plenty of decorative block, focusing on say just the railway mod would mean we'd actually make use of it. When I played on the mod server well over a year ago that was one of the things I noticed. There were so many mods there which never had any use.

Exactly. I think every modded server I've played on has had Railcraft on it, yet nobody ever uses the things (same for Steve's Carts) since there are usually much better ways to get around. Both Mekanism and IC2 have teleporters, so nobody even bothers making a rail line at all. Usually people connect via a Nether road early on, but once people start having enough power and resources to do teleporting, they just do that instead. Heck, some of the previous modded servers had the Portal Gun mod, so everybody was able to just warp around using those.

Moded server is very nice idea. You can reach that moment when you have nothing to do unlike building in both variants, but with Extra trees mod it becomes far far later. The problem is mods doing many usual things not necessary. With buildcraft you're doing caving for about 1 hour. There is no sense to explore caves more. But the most significant problem is server overload with all this staff like automation when lags and bugs appear. Then you need just to shut down the server. As for building you have all vanilla blocks in moded minecraft.

I've gotta say that Mirk's last server didn't have any of the lag issues that some of the previous modded servers had. Sure, the framerate around my place tended to get a bit chunky, but that's really more the fault of my style of building than any inherent problem with the mod pack.

And I completely agree with how there's a bit too much automation that is allowed by a lot of mods. You think the Buildcraft quarry was overpowered? Try Mekanism's Digital Miner. You can actually set filters on it so it only grabs certain blocks. For example, I once needed a bunch of diamonds, so I set it to only mine those. It only took about a minute for it to slurp up all the diamond ore in a 64x64 area underneath it, and after about 10 minutes of wandering the overworld and plopping the miner down randomly, I had about 20 stacks of diamonds.

The thing is, I don't think automation is a bad thing in and of itself, as long as it's not too easy to set up. On Mirk's server, I wanted to set up some sort of way to harvest Ender Lillies, since I was always running out of ender pearls. Unlike most other crops, they weren't compatible with any of the other mods' auto-harvesters, so I had to get creative. Apparently Factorization has these things called servos, which are these little machines that run along a track and can be programmed to a certain extent. I ended up spending days rigging up a system where the thing would go on the track, scan the crop, see if it was mature (which took forever to figure out), and trigger the harvest and re-planting of it, while sorting the pearls and seeds to their correct places.

And you know what? It was really fun and satisfying to set up, and didn't feel too far removed from vanilla Minecraft's approach to doing stuff: relatively simple components that can be combined to do more complicated things. If the Ender Lillies worked like wheat or other crops, I could have just set up the harvesting of them in about five minutes with a single machine from Minefactory Reloaded that would plug into my existing power grid. Sure, I would have gotten the stuff, but it was more fun to CREATE something that did what I wanted, as opposed to having it all done by a single block.

That's why I'll always be a fan of Thaumcraft. Even the most powerful stuff has its tradeoffs. The method for increased ore processing takes a decent amount of space and causes negative effects in the immediate area. You can automate stuff with golems, but it still takes several of them to do what you want to do. Even dabbling in the magic at all will cause the person doing the research permanent negative effects as of the recent versions of the mod.

dmosher

Scouted out a nice location for my "mountain fortress" build, inspired by Erebor from LotR. Here's some screenshots of the work in progress and the inspiration source.

2014-10-15_10.14.48.png

2014-10-15_10.15.10.png

Erebor_gate.jpg

hobbitereboralrg2b.jpg

Mengy

Scouted out a nice location for my "mountain fortress" build, inspired by Erebor from LotR. Here's some screenshots of the work in progress and the inspiration source.

Very nice! Mountain bases are my favorite to build. I sometimes try above ground stuff but I always end up going back to my Dwarf habits of building into the dirt and stone.

Man I haven't been on the server in over a week now. I've been playing Minecraft in real life: hanging a ceiling fan, installing LED light bulbs all throughout my house, installing some motion lights, replacing a water heater, doing maintenance on my boilers to get ready for winter, etc. Ticks me off, because I have work to do in game too!!!

-Minsc-

And I completely agree with how there's a bit too much automation that is allowed by a lot of mods. You think the Buildcraft quarry was overpowered? Try Mekanism's Digital Miner. You can actually set filters on it so it only grabs certain blocks. For example, I once needed a bunch of diamonds, so I set it to only mine those. It only took about a minute for it to slurp up all the diamond ore in a 64x64 area underneath it, and after about 10 minutes of wandering the overworld and plopping the miner down randomly, I had about 20 stacks of diamonds.

Ha ha, you may as well just play on creative mode. :p

Towards the end of my stint on the modded server I did start looking into rail craft. Unfortunately for it 1.6.4 came to the vanilla server. That was the end of mods for me. :)

dmosher

As for me the design is too flat. More shape and volume would be great.
And you should try to combine some andesite/polished, stone, mossy cobble and cracked/mossy brick. Stone slab blocks are useful too.
This may be useful too:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe6YUjTVD6EPh6t3a5V_URg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYgN9d4oMec

Definitely! It's flat for now acting as sort of a blueprint, I plan to add volume to the columns etc.. but I needed a starting point. Thanks for the links to the videos, it's always good to have examples of design principles and other sources of inspiration :)

belushy

Banned
I would play on the Modded server every day if it didn't start lagging like crazy (my fault because of my computer.) The more mods Mirk added the worst it got :p

Top Bottom