• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Philia

Just wanted to post to say, Dmosher, I'm loving your ideas of your build! Nifty!

Makes me want to do this in survival instead. :3

Crispy75

In my recent flirtation with Creative, I found myself building pretty much the same way I do in Survival, just without having to do all the boring mining. I stuck to realistic materials and structures, and didn't really feel the temptation to cover everything in gold and lapis blocks (cough dry cough :p)

I felt no shame building this way, but the sense of satisfaction was less. It took a couple of days to do what would have taken weeks in survival. Like gobbling down a 500g slab of dairy milk compared to savouring an assortment of handmade belgian truffles.

-Minsc-

In my recent flirtation with Creative, I found myself building pretty much the same way I do in Survival, just without having to do all the boring mining. I stuck to realistic materials and structures, and didn't really feel the temptation to cover everything in gold and lapis blocks (cough dry cough :p)

I felt no shame building this way, but the sense of satisfaction was less. It took a couple of days to do what would have taken weeks in survival. Like gobbling down a 500g slab of dairy milk compared to savouring an assortment of handmade belgian truffles.

If I had a kid and stuff I don't doubt I'd be playing creative. As for Dry's modest railway... Oddly enough I find it works.

masud

Banned
My current build may take me months but i just cant do it in creative. Id get bored with the game almost immediately.

-SD-

Banned
i just cant do it in creative. Id get bored with the game almost immediately.
PaleEnviousCrow.gif

I'm not a fan at all of NeoCraft now being a mixed server. Was a lot better when it was 100% Survival.

It's easy to get over the fact that the server is now a hybrid of creative and survival modes. I have separate builds I want to do in creative and those I do strictly in survival mode. It's the best of both worlds.

Fuchsdh

It's easy to get over the fact that the server is now a hybrid of creative and survival modes. I have separate builds I want to do in creative and those I do strictly in survival mode. It's the best of both worlds.

Speaking of which when laying down rail I came across a random pen of horses of yours and Ark's on the western continent.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
My current build may take me months but i just cant do it in creative. Id get bored with the game almost immediately.

Yep, for me the challenge is building huge awesome things by doing the hard work. And the hard work is the fun for me. It's almost like playing an RTS where you need to manage your resources to get stuff done.

I'm not a fan at all of NeoCraft now being a mixed server. Was a lot better when it was 100% Survival.

Eh, it isn't bothering like I used to think it would. I still play the way I want to, and I'm just glad to have others playing online too and enjoying themselves playing the way they want to. For me most of the fun of playing online is sightseeing, looking at what others are building. And whether the things I'm looking at were made in survival or creative only really affects how impressed I am by it, but I still enjoy looking nonetheless.

-Minsc-

PaleEnviousCrow.gif

One of the sacrifices of having a more general server. Considering the population of the GAF server it really isn't feasible to pay for separate servers.

I like having a mix of both. Dry's over modest rainbow rail really has no impact on the enjoyment I get out of my own survival build. Those types of creative builds can be impressive in their own right. While it is closer to the new town than I'd like I do like the combination of blocks he used. At least I liked it the last time I saw it a week ago. :)

Fuchsdh

No joke, I was listening to too much NPR before bed and I had a dream where I led gangs of survivacolytes across the server to tear down immodest builds. So if there's a mad rash of religious ferver-styled griefing on the server, it'll be safe to say I've gone crazy.

-Minsc-

Image should be clickable to a tweet. We updating in a week or so?

We update when 1.8.1 stable is released. :)

No joke, I was listening to too much NPR before bed and I had a dream where I led gangs of survivacolytes across the server to tear down immodest builds. So if there's a mad rash of religious ferver-styled griefing on the server, it'll be safe to say I've gone crazy.

"It was only sleep-griefing, I didn't mean to!"

Ranger X

PaleEnviousCrow.gif

Well, not to break your bubble or anything but when the server was "survival only", people were given creative rights so there was still a shitload of creative stuff being built and many passed as survival buildings lol
Basically, Neocraft didn't change much my friend.

I started adding some depth as per Holkin's suggestion, what do you think so far?

http://images.davemo.com/image/133t0y3o1F3O/2014-10-15_14.26.31.png[/IM]

[IMG]http://images.davemo.com/image/172F083g260t/2014-10-15_14.26.43.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the Dwarven keep we had in the old server.

belushy

Banned
Is performance better for those that were having problems? I didn't really notice much of a different when I hopped on my single player world...

masud

Banned
well I forgot to log out and got killed by a slime. Lost all my sponges. I'm tempted to go into creative a get them back because I don't know if ill find more ocean monuments.

Fuchsdh

well I forgot to log out and got killed by a slime. Lost all my sponges. I'm tempted to go into creative a get them back because I don't know if ill find more ocean monuments.

I've found a couple to the east of new spawn. They're pretty common, actually.

gblues

Banned
Sorry for the confusion earlier. The area I connected to rail wasn't Spookyville, but an area west of spawn.

I did manage to contribute towards connecting Spookyville, however! I put down the rail and got a base powered rail going, so the line is now functional. It's not as smooth as it could be--as Fuchsdh pointed out to me, it needs more frequent powered rails.

Thanks to the folks who built the tracks for the rail to go on!

Ark

I tried making a Spookyville station last night and failed horribly at it. So if anyone would like to make one, feel free.

EDIT: I've moved the Spookyville rail, it was running right through the middle of where I wanted to expand the town. I'm going to lay down some paths and such then we're good :D

-Minsc-

I tried making a Spookyville station last night and failed horribly at it. So if anyone would like to make one, feel free.

EDIT: I've moved the Spookyville rail, it was running right through the middle of where I wanted to expand the town. I'm going to lay down some paths and such then we're good :D
It has been a week since I was last on Minecraft. This Spookyville will be a distant memory before I get back around there. D:

gblues

Banned
Performance tuning tip:

For folks headed out towards Spookyville, make sure your JRE max memory usage is set to use at least 768MB. I first visited with it set to a max of 512MB and it started chugging due to all the garbage collection. I bumped it up to 768MB and now it's smooth.

Fuchsdh

I lit up the (light blue) line to Spookytown. Since there's not room at the station to extend the line I built a swamp stop shortly before it so if someone builds further out we can still route the rails their way.

Ark

I lit up the (light blue) line to Spookytown. Since there's not room at the station to extend the line I built a swamp stop shortly before it so if someone builds further out we can still route the rails their way.

I completely forgot about any possible line extensions, sorry :p

Spookyville is basically open for everyone to build in now! I had planned to expand the town to the hill behind Liz's pumpkin head, but yeah feel free to build wherever.

r1chard

Activating division sigils is a pain in the ass. Took me over an hour to do it last night 'cos it kept not working. Ugh. But I have my builders wand now, so yay!

Vlad

Activating division sigils is a pain in the ass. Took me over an hour to do it last night 'cos it kept not working. Ugh. But I have my builders wand now, so yay!

What wasn't working about it? Aside from the... side effects.. from actually making one, I don't remember having any issues. From what I remember, you can check what requirements are or are not met by right-clicking on an enchantment table with an unactivated sigil.

Top Bottom