• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

-Minsc-

Helllooo

I've been eyeing this game for sometime. I've been watching a bunch of twitch streams and all I see is a bunch of people having a ton of fun.

I've never tried a game like this so I was wondering how easy is it to get into? I don't know anyone else that plays Minecraft so is like to jump in on GAF's server if possible. How active is the server btw?

My recommendation is to start off in single player and get a feel for the game. It is quite straight forward as fuch says. Ones first steps into minecraft can be quite something, one I believe experienced away from an online server. :)

Ranger X

Helllooo

I've been eyeing this game for sometime. I've been watching a bunch of twitch streams and all I see is a bunch of people having a ton of fun.

I've never tried a game like this so I was wondering how easy is it to get into? I don't know anyone else that plays Minecraft so is like to jump in on GAF's server if possible. How active is the server btw?

I also suggest your have your first honeymoon with Minecraft alone, in your single player world. Simply because its the best way for you to grasp the game. The game is harsh at first, you can die abruptly, wonder how to do certain things and most importantly, you will have this feeling of discovery that might really get spoiled by a server with multiple players that are finished with the discovery long time ago.

Crispy75

I concur. If you jump on the server you'll find diamonds and enchanted armour just hanging around in public chests. Far better to explore the game on your own for a while and find these things for yourself :)

hepburn3d

I concur. If you jump on the server you'll find diamonds and enchanted armour just hanging around in public chests. Far better to explore the game on your own for a while and find these things for yourself :)

Man that first night! I think everyone remembers their first night in the game. I built a mud wall around myself only for a creeper to blow it up. Then began the zombie flood and my first death.

Crispy75

Man that first night! I think everyone remembers their first night in the game. I built a mud wall around myself only for a creeper to blow it up. Then began the zombie flood and my first death.

And those first caving expeditions. Not knowing where the monsters will come from or what you might find. Seeing light in the distance and finding lava. Breaking through a wall and opening up a cavernous....cavern. Yes, definitely play SP for a while first :)

Holkin

My advice is to try beta 1.7.3 first. The game has changed a lot since that time, even with beta 1.8 patch, but huge part of that atmosphere and emotions were lost.

Crispy75

My advice is to try beta 1.7.3 first. The game has changed a lot since that time, even with beta 1.8 patch, but huge part of that atmosphere and emotions were lost.

You'd seriously recommend a four year old version of the game?
Could you elaborate?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Are you trolling, or are you serious? Or have you simply not played the game since beta?

Version 1.8 is pretty much the best that vanilla Minecraft has ever been in every regard, IMHO.

hepburn3d

I'd say 1.8 is the best one ever. The 32 bit draw distance alone makes for the best single player atmosphere ever.

PETA makes a Minecraft server

Ho ho. Apparently modifications were made to where one can't harm/kill sheep, pigs, cows, mooshrooms and the like. I wonder if they covered every potential way of harming them like pushing an animal into lava or setting up a netherrack ring of fiery doom...or one of the more amusing ways of making skeletons shoot passive animals. I'm sure there is no one here who would ever attempt to do such things and break the rules of the holy PETA server...because we are all good and kind hearted bastions of peace and love that would never do such a thing.

Fuchsdh

PETA makes a Minecraft server

Ho ho. Apparently modifications were made to where one can't harm/kill sheep, pigs, cows, mooshrooms and the like. I wonder if they covered every potential way of harming them like pushing an animal into lava or setting up a ring of netherrack lit right of fiery doom...or one of the more amusing ways of making skeletons shoot passive animals. I'm sure there is no one here who would ever attempt to do such things and break the rules of the holy PETA server...because we are all good and kind hearted bastions of peace and love that would never do such a thing.

Yeah, I admit that does make me want to grief them oh so badly...

Isobelise

Whilst Dry is still working on the square... and even though it's over a month away

WE NEEDED THIS
YOU NEED THIS

JINGLE BALLS XMAS VILLE

Gather all and come hang your socks

2014-11-15_18.00.19.png

Just on the Red line between old and new spawn, be seeing you!

Ark

Oh man. I was thinking of starting a Xmas-ville to accompany Spooky-ville but you've beaten me to it :p

I'll be sure to build there when I get some free time (probably not until closer to Christmas now).

Katzegard. Need a few sun rays coming over the walls. Nice work.

Will do. :)

Also, nytonm, one of your maps that you gave me as a gift popped off the wall when I was collecting them and disappeared. Potentially into lava. Is there any way you would be able to make a duplicate (or at least help me to make a replacement)?

masud

Banned
Will do. :)

Also, nytonm, one of your maps that you gave me as a gift popped off the wall when I was collecting them and disappeared. Potentially into lava. Is there any way you would be able to make a duplicate (or at least help me to make a replacement)?

Replaced it for you. I have a bunch of copies in my airship.

Speaking of which:

I need a break from working on my current build. I want to go out and fill up 3 more squares on either side of this map. Is that ok or would I be spawning too many chunks? A lot of the area has already been spawned but about 50% hasn't been as of the last time we had dynamap.

Ranger X

Seems dead lately. Even myself haven't been here since a month or so.
BUUUUT, I worked much more on my game though. Which in fact is better invested time than Minecraft --- even if I fucking love this game

-Minsc-

BUUUUT, I worked much more on my game though. Which in fact is better invested time than Minecraft --- even if I fucking love this game

Tis life I guess. As much as I'd like to play it, Minecraft isn't a life priority for me. Plus, my limited game time has been spent playing the ever increasingly awesome StarMade.

Mengy

I've been dividing my game time between FEAR, Euro Truck Sim 2, and Skyrim lately. Keep wanting to hop back on the server but haven't gotten time to do it lately.

Minecraft is a game I take breaks from but ALWAYS come back to in time. Now that winter is here and I'm getting less time to do things outside I'll be playing Minecraft again soon. I'll probably spend an entire week just sightseeing around the server, lol.

Fuchsdh

I've been burning through Master Chief collection, although I've had time to make a little present dwelling in Christmas town.

(Which reminds me, you creative peeps need to light stuff. Christmas Town is currently overrun by zombies.)

kitsuneyo

Beginner question guys. I know I can find this info elsewhere but I figure it's easier to ask here.

Just started playing PS3 Minecraft with a mate. Is it possible for us to save our game on a server, so we can build stuff without both playing at the same time? Is that doable on PS3?

belushy

Banned
Tis life I guess. As much as I'd like to play it, Minecraft isn't a life priority for me. Plus, my limited game time has been spent playing the ever increasingly awesome StarMade.

I just looked on the site for that, and it isn't free anymore? Never got to really play it, but watched videos a while back and I thought ti was free.

-Minsc-

I just looked on the site for that, and it isn't free anymore? Never got to really play it, but watched videos a while back and I thought ti was free.

Starmade is still in alpha so you can still play it for free (and will remain that way until release, or at least until beta). They just increased the pre-release purchase price from $6 to $10.

Fuchsdh

Beginner question guys. I know I can find this info elsewhere but I figure it's easier to ask here.

Just started playing PS3 Minecraft with a mate. Is it possible for us to save our game on a server, so we can build stuff without both playing at the same time? Is that doable on PS3?

I don't think that's possible. You have to host the local file for multiplayer.

woolley

That's too bad. Can you do that on PC/Mac?

Thanks for answering btw.

Yes. You could host the server off of one of your computers or pay for a third party server. Its a perpetual world so yous would be able to get on and do stuff as long as the server is up.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Holy crap. I haven't played this since they were about to add the Netherworld, IIRC. Food is looking very scarce. Is there some renewable food source available? I'm on an island with like, 2 cows left.

Also, diamond is the only substance that breaks obsidian still, right?

Crispy75

Holy crap. I haven't played this since they were about to add the Netherworld, IIRC. Food is looking very scarce. Is there some renewable food source available? I'm on an island with like, 2 cows left.

0. Don't kill those cows!

1. Break some long grass with L-click to get seeds
2. Make a hoe (like a pick, but with one side of the top part missing)
3. R-click hoe on some dirt tile within a 3 block radius of water
4. R-click the seeds on the tilled ground
5. Wait
6. Harvest with L-click when golden
7. Craft 3 wheat -> one bread
8. Replant seeds

Once you've got a good bread stockpile, start breeding those cows. Steaks are the most nutritious food in the game.

1. Enclose your cows so they can't run away
2. Right click on each of them with wheat
3. Mummy and Daddy Cow Love Each Other Very Much = Baby cow
4. Repeat, repeat repeat until there's so many cows all you can hear is the thunder of their hooves and a cacophony of moos.
5. Kill 1/3 of the cows
6. Breed the remainder
7. Cook those steaks in a furnace
8. Wait
9. Repeat

Yes only diamond breaks obsidian

woolley

You can grow wheat and make bread with it or you can use the wheat to breed the cows and make a farm. There are also carrots and potatoes you can grow, you'll eventually get the drops from zombies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Oh, hell, lol. Thanks. You should teach sex ed.

Okay, so is there a way to like, lure them in? And how high do the blocks have to go so they don't escape?

Crispy75

Oh, hell, lol. Thanks. You should teach sex ed.

Okay, so is there a way to like, lure them in? And how high do the blocks have to go so they don't escape?

If you're holding wheat they'll pay attention and follow you.
They can jump 1 block, but can't jump over fences.

Oh and don't kill baby cows until they've grown up and had a chance to breed :D

Fuchsdh

I kind of enjoy farming just for the contraptions you construct, but I have a critical need of leather all the time.

Which reminds me to check and see if I can troll the PETA server :$

Mengy

I kind of enjoy farming just for the contraptions you construct, but I have a critical need of leather all the time.

Yeah, leather is always my hardest to accumulate resource, because I use so much of it and even with a huge pen of cows and a looting III sword it still seems slow to get.

Top Bottom