• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

Yeah, leather is always my hardest to accumulate resource, because I use so much of it and even with a huge pen of cows and a looting III sword it still seems slow to get.

I burned through all of mine just recently since I went on a torch holder spree at my new castley digs. Need to create a cow pen there and get to restocking.

I'm kinda' sad the 1.8 update sort of forced us to abandon the old builds :(

Crispy75

Baby Bessie thanks you for your tips on animal husbandry. Any other cool stuff I may have missed since the beta days?

pA4o5dHl.png

SO, so much. Enchanting, potions, sweet biomes, redstone and minecart mechanisms, The End, abandonded mineshafts etc etc. Too much to list. Read the wiki :)

Oh, what do the experience points and levels do, btw?

They're for enchanting. You need to make an enchanting table, surround it with bookshelves, get yourself to lvl. 30, spend some Lapis Lazuli and then get enchantments on your tools weapons and armour. Faster mining, more drops from enemies, fall damage reduction and so on. Very useful, but it's a way down the priority list for a new game.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sorry for ignoring ya, but I found one of those underground mining places earlier and found a bunch of rails. Now I'm trying to build a sky bridge from my castle to that mine. It's going to take me the rest of my natural life to get the rail pieces, but this is pretty cool.

Also, those creepy glowing purple dudes and the Devo looking guys who throw poison are new. Creepers are still the biggest buttholes in gaming...lol

kennah

Sorry for ignoring ya, but I found one of those underground mining places earlier and found a bunch of rails. Now I'm trying to build a sky bridge from my castle to that mine. It's going to take me the rest of my natural life to get the rail pieces, but this is pretty cool.

Also, those creepy glowing purple dudes and the Devo looking guys who throw poison are new. Creepers are still the biggest buttholes in gaming...lol

Does water still wash rails up? Faster than punching them.

Gonna buy this for my niece since she's getting an xbone for xmas and loves MC. Is there any downside to the physical release? I want to use my GCU discount for it

belushy

Banned
So a question for server owners out there...

I'm looking to start a server for my friends and me. There are about 12 in total, but I'm about 99% sure we will never always be on at the same time to fill out 12 spots at once. My question is, would a 1GB server be good enough to hold maybe 7+ at a time along with an economy mod?

edit: To add on, anyone have recommendations for economy mods?

LoveCake

I was wondering if a Minecraft player could help with advice please?

I am posting not for myself but for a friend, his son plays Minecraft on X360 but he has seen YouTube videos of the game that has mods & online play, & he now wants to play on a PC/Laptop, my friend would like to get something that can be used for school work as well, i think he would prefer a laptop, he is on a bit of a budget as well unfortunately.

From the specs;
Minimum Requirements:
CPU: Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
RAM: 2GB
GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT or AMD Radeon HD 2400 with OpenGL 3.1
HDD: At least 200MB for Game Core and Other Files
Java 6 Release 45

Recommended Requirements:
CPU: Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II (K10) 2.8 GHz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3
HDD: 1GB
Latest release of Java 7 from java.com

He will need a dedicated GPU which will push up the price, can anyone help or advise please, this is for someone in the UK.

woolley

Well if he plans on getting into playing with mods he should get something with a minimum of 4gb of ram. Other than that I don't really know anything about computers.

Fuchsdh

I am posting not for myself but for a friend, his son plays Minecraft on X360 but he has seen YouTube videos of the game that has mods & online play, & he now wants to play on a PC/Laptop, my friend would like to get something that can be used for school work as well, i think he would prefer a laptop, he is on a bit of a budget as well unfortunately.

From the specs;
Minimum Requirements:
GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1
Java 6 Release 45

GPU: GeForce 2xx Series or AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series (Excluding Integrated Chipsets) with OpenGL 3.3

He will need a dedicated GPU which will push up the price, can anyone help or advise please, this is for someone in the UK.

Sadly I'm a Mac guy, and can't help much. Unfortunately for his wallet, if he wants discrete GPUs in a laptop form factor he's going to have to go with an expensive model; integrated graphics have basically become ubiquitous in the low and even mid-level models. On the Dell site I can't find a Inspiron with options for discrete until you hit $1200 (you can get a cheaper Alienware for around $900.)

Holkin

It seems I have difficulties with my desert project at -1000 -5500. I don't know exact reason of experiencing 6-15 fps drops, but It seems to me all that rainbowy glassy beacony raily staff is to hard for my PC.

So does anyone claim +2000 -6000 snow biome?

Fuchsdh

It seems I have difficulties with my desert project at -1000 -5500. I don't know exact reason of experiencing 6-15 fps drops, but It seems to me all that rainbowy glassy beacony raily staff is to hard for my PC.

So does anyone claim +2000 -6000 snow biome?

I don't think there's anyone that far out from my recollections. What's your PC setup?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Man I really need to get on Neocraft and work on my new base. I haven't played Minecraft in almost a month now and I'm starting to miss it, been busy with a lot of housework lately. Also started randomly working on my Steam backlog of games and that's been eating up all of my game time. And now Elite comes out next week.

I think I have a problem of owning too many games to play and not enough time to play them all. I may have to start cutting back on my gaming budget, avoiding Steam sales, and simply playing the games I already own instead....

Fuchsdh

Man I really need to get on Neocraft and work on my new base. I haven't played Minecraft in almost a month now and I'm starting to miss it, been busy with a lot of housework lately. Also started randomly working on my Steam backlog of games and that's been eating up all of my game time. And now Elite comes out next week.

I think I have a problem of owning too many games to play and not enough time to play them all. I may have to start cutting back on my gaming budget, avoiding Steam sales, and simply playing the games I already own instead....

I got an XB1 for Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC. On my Mac I can play Dota 2 forever. Then there's Minecraft and RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. And I've still got some miscellaneous achievements I'm working on on Xbox 360 for Bioshock and Borderlands 2.

I'm probably not buying another game until Halo 5, and even then I'm not sure what games I'll actually get in the future considering Microsoft feeds me freebies via Gold. I've got more productive uses of the cash and I'm perfectly happy playing the games I've got. It helps that I hate clutter, and a Steam backlog to me is just that.

-Minsc-

This is why I don't buy many games. No point spending money on them if I don't have the time to properly enjoy them. I believe the last game I bought was Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies about a year ago.

Holkin

I play only Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Medieval II Total War and Eador The Genesis. Chessmaster is also good.
All other staff I prefer watching on youtube. :)

I think everyone has that problem if they use Steam. My problem is that I have the time, but don't play anything other than TF2 and MC really, haha.

Once you miss the first Steam sale or two, the compulsion to buy more starts to fade, though!

Pachimari

Just started the game up in a long while and I'm gonna year apart my whole house and rebuild it from scratch.

My horse ran away months ago and haven't come back since anyway. :(

If anyone wanna gift me one I would gladly appreciate it.

I'm on the NeoCraft server btw.

Fuchsdh

Just started the game up in a long while and I'm gonna year apart my whole house and rebuild it from scratch.

My horse ran away months ago and haven't come back since anyway. :(

If anyone wanna gift me one I would gladly appreciate it.

I'm on the NeoCraft server btw.

I've got some horses. Where are you building, I can bring them over.

EDIT: So anyone have ideas on what to do? I seem to be experiencing a glitch where I'm trapped in the nether. I can go through a portal, but I get warped back to the portal repeatedly and then kicked back into the nether again. Restarted, reconnected, hasn't helped.

-Minsc-

EDIT: So anyone have ideas on what to do? I seem to be experiencing a glitch where I'm trapped in the nether. I can go through a portal, but I get warped back to the portal repeatedly and then kicked back into the nether again. Restarted, reconnected, hasn't helped.

I believe that's more a lag/connection issue. Just give it some time before you move and you should be fine. The amount of time you have to wait will vary.

Whelp it's just me and dry on the server right now and I am pretty sure Dry aint here. Probably in the kitchen making a sandwich. Anyway both me and dry are looking adorably cute in our adorned Scroll capes that we get to wear for two WHOLE days (seriously Mojang your generosity knows no bounds).

On another note they are testing a new minecraft launcher that some might want to try out. You can download it here :-

https://launcher.mojang.com/download/Minecraft.exe

So what differs with this launcher I hear you ask. Well it has Java integrated into it so you don't have to faff about with Java on your machine anymore. You just download the new launcher start it up and it is all integrated.

LoveCake

From the specs;
Minimum Requirements:
Java 6 Release 45

Following on from my earlier post, my friend is now looking at a PC & this one specifically http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...n-all-in-one-pc-10075791-pdt.html#srcid=11026

I have had a look & it should be ok & on the Game Debate website it said it should run Minecraft fine, just after someone elses opinion on this please.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
On another note they are testing a new minecraft launcher that some might want to try out. You can download it here :-

https://launcher.mojang.com/download/Minecraft.exe

So what differs with this launcher I hear you ask. Well it has Java integrated into it so you don't have to faff about with Java on your machine anymore. You just download the new launcher start it up and it is all integrated.

That's an interesting idea. Very clever actually. Does it boost performance at all?

Following on from my earlier post, my friend is now looking at a PC & this one specifically http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...n-all-in-one-pc-10075791-pdt.html#srcid=11026

I have had a look & it should be ok & on the Game Debate website it said it should run Minecraft fine, just after someone elses opinion on this please.

Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend a PC like that. I mean touchscreen is little more than a novelty for the PC platform and your arm will be aching like crap after 5 minutes of using it. If the guy was to ditch the touchscreen capability he could get something slightly better than that.

Having said that I can't see it having a problem running minecraft. In my experience Minecraft isn't particularly cpu or gpu intensive (unless you are gonna crap it full of mods and 512 x 512 texture packs). The key issue with Minecraft is RAM which that PC has plenty of so it should work out fine.

That's an interesting idea. Very clever actually. Does it boost performance at all?

Well it didn't really do much "performance" wise. I certainly didn't notice any major improvement. I think the main aim of this all in one launcher is to make the game more "newbie" friendly so people can just double click and go rather than faff about adding -xms 2048 to some damn obscure java setting option in some god forsaken place.

masud

Banned
Are there any blocks that mobs cant get though but items can? I thought if i had a floor of hoppers with space underneath in my grinder the items would filter though and drop into the space below but it looks like items just stay in the hopper if it isnt connected to anything. Any ideas?

Sarcasm

Are there any blocks that mobs cant get though but items can? I thought if i had a floor of hoppers with space underneath in my grinder the items would filter though and drop into the space below but it looks like items just stay in the hopper if it isnt connected to anything. Any ideas?

Your gonna have to do hoppers + chests. I have something like this on the server I can log in and show yea.

So for people who use that new launcher?? Is it worth it? Can I uninstall the PC java and be fine?

Pachimari

I honestly don't know where I am at the map. I guess we gotta do a spawn at my place?

zer0das

Banned
I started playing again after a fairly long break- I forgot to keep my save files when I reformatted my computer, which bummed me out a lot at first. But the new world that was generated is flipping amazing. My spawn point was on a fairly small island- but big enough to sustain myself. The more I struck out, the more I realized how amazing this archipelago is. There must be hundreds of islands within striking distance, and exploring it all has been a lot of fun.

There's a second island pretty close to my home island (Outset Island). At first I thought it was a bunch of tiny islands because it looked like the ocean cut through them, but after exploring inland in more detail I realized it was combination of lakes and rivers. One lake in particular is due to a gorgeous waterfall coming down from the top of a mountain. I realized with some minor adjustments, I could essentially turn the lake into a giant river that snakes through most of island. There were just some points that had clogged up that had to be cleared, and it needed to be widened a bit to make it easier to traverse. After exploring most of the second island, my best estimate is has about 60 times as much land mass as Outset Island. It's so huge, I haven't even circumnavigated it yet (though I've seen the edges at all 4 compass points). That's partly because I was more curious about the interior and worked at establishing a base of operations near the waterfall, and also I've been building pylons to serve as land marks so I don't get completely lost (its pretty necessary- on one voyage I got turned around and next thing I know, I'm a on a mostly desert continent and couldn't find the ocean).

I started working on connecting the islands via a series of tunnels too, just for fun.

It'd help if I could find some red stone to make some maps and compasses though, because there's so much ocean its so easy to get completely lost (I was almost next to Outset Island when I got lost the first time, its just the blocks went out of view and I got really turned around and without any landmarks or a compass, everything looks almost the same).

Haven't even started to really explore the other islands (though I've touched down on about 4-5 of them briefly).

Naming all the different islands is going to be a challenge too. I'm thinking Lava Falls for the second island, because there's 2 really prominent lava waterfalls near the mouth of the river that leads toward the waterfall in the center of the island. I was thinking maybe Heartland too, because there's a rock formation near the two lava falls that looks like a heart with the negative space. But that's kind of lame.

Never had a world so geographically interesting though, it just makes everything that much more exciting. A lot easier to die when wandering around though...

masud

Banned
Your gonna have to do hoppers + chests. I have something like this on the server I can log in and show yea.

So for people who use that new launcher?? Is it worth it? Can I uninstall the PC java and be fine?

Hmm i need to get the items to travel to an item sorter, i already have the water flows and elevator set up i just need a way to get the items to fall in the water while keeping the mobs out. Do you think hoppers/chests will work for that?
I want to build an iron farm but I can't find any villages. Sadness abounds.
You can cure the big nosed zombies with a golden apple and a potion of weakness.

zer0das

Banned
It would be great to know that world seed.

-5038261213510568227 is the world seed.

The second island I described is visible from the island you spawn next to (you spawn over the ocean, but its essentially on the island). You'll only see a very tiny portion of it, but if you keep following the coast it should become apparent it is actually quite large. The coordinates for one location on it are -117, 72, 573 if you want to be sure you're on the island I was describing.

Starting island has chickens and horses, the secondary island has cows, pigs, horses, rabbits, and I think chickens too, but they're all pretty spread out.

After that, there's a lot of sailing. Have fun!

Edit: Although after more exploring I'm starting to think the mega-continent may be up to 500 times as large as my island. x.X

Top Bottom