• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Philia

Hey, guys. Long time, no see.

After years of playing Vanilla Minecraft, my girlfriend and I have finally decided to look into mods to make it better. What kinds of things do you recommend? I'm looking for things that make big changes, not just small tweaks. Something to make it feel like a whole new game. New biomes, ores, mobs, objectives, and things like that. I know there are modpacks, too, that add tons of stuff, so I'm just wondering if you guys have any ideas which ones are good, because there's thousands.

Dynmap from Bukkit will do it for you. It most certainly did for me. You can realistically plot out your builds, plan ahead, and save yourself a LOT of time. My husband had seen me using it and was wondering how to set it up because it appealed to him greatly. I don't know how to do it personally, but I think/thought it needs a dedicated server to upload it to in real time.

Only trouble is that when minecraft updates, you need to wait on bukkit to update their mod too.

Dynmap from Bukkit will do it for you. It most certainly did for me. You can realistically plot out your builds, plan ahead, and save yourself a LOT of time. My husband had seen me using it and was wondering how to set it up because it appealed to him greatly. I don't know how to do it personally, but I think/thought it needs a dedicated server to upload it to in real time.

Only trouble is that when minecraft updates, you need to wait on bukkit to update their mod too.

Yeah, I remember when the GAF server had Dynamap. It's very awesome. I'm looking more for mods that add more content to the game. Especially with survival. Feed The Beast looks like a good way to access lots of modpacks very easily, so I'm looking into that.

-Minsc-

After years of playing Vanilla Minecraft, my girlfriend and I have finally decided to look into mods to make it better. What kinds of things do you recommend? I'm looking for things that make big changes, not just small tweaks. Something to make it feel like a whole new game. New biomes, ores, mobs, objectives, and things like that. I know there are modpacks, too, that add tons of stuff, so I'm just wondering if you guys have any ideas which ones are good, because there's thousands.

I haven't delved too far into mods myself. There indeed is a seemingly endless amount to choose from. You could try The Crack Pack. I've found the Mindcrack pack has a nice variety of mods to try out. You don't have to keep the whole pack, I recommend using it as a testing ground to pick out and build your own non-bloated custom pack. While I haven't used it I recall there being a pokemon pack. Basically it turns the game into Pokemon. That one should more than cover the area of new mobs and objectives. One mod pack I have used is one called CrazyCraft, seemed interesting.

Edit:

Feed The Beast looks like a good way to access lots of modpacks very easily, so I'm looking into that.
I'll second Feed The Beast.

Edit2: Be sure to check out Microblocks, The amount of detailing it allows is amazing.

Owari

Hmm, the server doesn't seem to be letting me online. Am I doing something wrong? Running 1.8, should be whitelisted.

-Minsc-

Hmm, the server doesn't seem to be letting me online. Am I doing something wrong? Running 1.8, should be whitelisted.

What sort of error are you getting? If it were a whitelisting problem it would specifically say you need to be whitelisted.

r_x2

Achievement Get: Horses

I actually managed to get two back to my base.

there are still some horses left where I found my pair, I'll let you know the coords, if someone wants one.
if you're willing to pay my price that is
muahahaha

Vlad

TheNix put up a Modded Server a while back. It's not super active, but it is always nice to have other people around when messing with mods so you can ask questions and see what kind of stuff people have been building.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Today Minecraft has surpassed 18 million copies sold on PC and Mac!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Minecraft-Surpasses-18-Million-Sales-on-PC-Mac-469022.shtml

18,022,746 to be exact as of right now.

Basically, this means that every day 17,500 copies of Minecraft are sold on PC/Mac, which is an impressive number for a game with that longevity.
It will probably take Minecraft another 4-5 months to reach 20 million copies sold

tumblr_inline_mrktwmfXqS1qz4rgp.gif

Don't know how many people are interested, but I'm going to be streaming some TerraFirmaCraft with friends tonight from their private server around 7:30 or 8 p.m. Eastern. It's a pretty interesting and different way to play the game. I will probably cave myself in at least once. :p

Fuchsdh

Don't know how many people are interested, but I'm going to be streaming some TerraFirmaCraft with friends tonight from their private server around 7:30 or 8 p.m. Eastern. It's a pretty interesting and different way to play the game. I will probably cave myself in at least once. :p
Via Twitch?

ZZMitch

Hey guys, I haven't been keeping up with the Minecraft scene in a while (damn you Hearthstone). What has been happening with the game since Microsoft bought Mojang? Any news about a possible 1.9 update or something in the future?

Bentles

Hey guys. My friends started a server so I haven't been on gafland much but I'd like to show one of them what I built on here (and some other cool stuff like spawn). Can "ItsPixie01" be whitelisted please?

Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone · 34m34 minutes ago
For the first time ever, we finally have the capability to see how many people are currently playing Minecraft right now. Holy crap.

Nathan Adams ‏@Dinnerbone · 28m28 minutes ago
There are currently over 998,000 people playing Minecraft right at this moment. It is not even remotely close to being a peak time.

Nathan Adams @Dinnerbone · 19m 19 minutes ago
@Direwolf20 This is PC (win/osx/linux) only, versions 1.3 and higher, modded or vanilla it doesn't matter.

Does anyone have any recommendations for skin-making software or websites? I managed to get my account back from my friends' 8 year old son in a best-of-three armwrestling competition
(I won 2-1)
, and it looks like I didn't back up the skin I used to use.

Fuchsdh

That's pretty impressive, especially when you put it up against Steam's top concurrent numbers.

Does anyone have any recommendations for skin-making software or websites? I managed to get my account back from my friends' 8 year old son in a best-of-three armwrestling competition
(I won 2-1)
, and it looks like I didn't back up the skin I used to use.

I've found http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin-editor/ to be the best skin editor to use if you want something online AND want a fine level of control, but I usually just edit the PNG on my own machine using Photoshop so I'm a bit out of the loop.

That's pretty impressive, especially when you put it up against Steam's top concurrent numbers.

It'll be interesting to see how high it goes over the weekend when all the children pile on.

I've found http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin-editor/ to be the best skin editor to use if you want something online AND want a fine level of control, but I usually just edit the PNG on my own machine using Photoshop so I'm a bit out of the loop.

Cool, ta. I currently have the default Steve with a pink thong on his head and I think I might just stick with that. My old B. A. Baracus is gone for good though. :(

Fuchsdh

It'll be interesting to see how high it goes over the weekend when all the children pile on.

My wife-to-be loves telling me about how the kids in workshops she teaches will be all excited to learn that her fiancé plays Minecraft, and then they'll start dumping Minecraft questions on her which she finds hilarious and inscrutable.

zer0das

Banned
I think I managed to surpass my largest bridge structure in survival mode today. I'm trying to connect all the continents together with a rail system that's elevated for easy travel, starting at a canal I made to link two oceans together. Last time I made a bridge I made it covered, which in hindsight was an architectural nightmare because it required so many blocks to get anywhere (especially since I made the bridge so wide), and enemies would creep in and not die because there wasn't any sunlight.

This time around I opted for a much simpler design (probably about as simple as you can get), so even though it's elevated about 15 blocks, the building is much, much easier. I guess as far as block numbers go its probably smaller, but I've actually covered quite a bit of distance in the air- I can't really see the entire thing from the side unless I'm really far away now.

But it's like 1/1000th complete. >_>

Here's what it looks like from above:

0o323Iz.jpg

zer0das

Banned
Man that death sucked. Reminds me when I was exploring the jungles in the southeast of my world... got plastered by a witch, desperately tried to outrun all the mobs until I could build an enclosure, and just got stuck trying to get past some dense tree foilage. That was the worst.

Speaking of, I finally finished exploring to create my first filled out map.

My world's overworld

The island in the northwest is my spawn point, Outset Island. To the south is Heartland, where I have a large base camp near a waterfall. If you go southwest until you reach the narrowest point, that's where I built a canal to link the oceans, and you can see the bridge I'm building (I think this is the first I've ever built something so large it shows up very clearly on the map). I've got a base camp near that bridge, and then one to the north in the desert. I think I've decided to name the desert land to the northeast Anatolia, and Geurdo Villa is a desert village there (you can see the buildings if you look closely- they make 3 dots in a line and there's a < like shape that's another building). To the south is a bunch of jungles I've named the Levant. I probably should name the canal the Nile canal using these conventions haha.

And the map to the northwest is Europe... France is the big blob, Scandinavia comes down. I haven't explored anything but the ocean borders because the overland route is kind of hilly, so it's going to take a long time to explore. I found two villages in Europe, one is just off both of my maps, but it's north of Outset Island (almost directly). I think there's another one in the vicinity Denmark, but I'm not exactly sure because I didn't know what the borders looked like so I didn't have a good frame of reference to use as a landmark.

I also resisted the urge to take a flint and iron and burn down all the jungle in the southeast to help me explore. Anyways, this is the first time I feel like I've actually done something in Minecraft that's noteworthy. I think I might hop on the NeoCraft server tonight to celebrate. Interested in seeing what it looks like.

r_x2

(Your vid reminded me that I've got some footage

This is correct. I also have a bit of footage of various activities on the server like
-showing off my new horse to fuchs at his hole-village
-traveling to arkyoto on horseback
-searching for splashrider's house
-and a bunch of caving

Nihon if you still want a name tag, you can have one of mine, search for a small tower to the east of your place.
it's
hidden :p
it's in one of the chests up top

Fuchsdh

This was an interesting tweet from Dinnerbone about the 1.9 update:

https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/556145534281728001

I really have no idea at all what they have planned for 1.9, like zero at all...

The only really obvious things for me from a block standpoint are allowing stair and slab versions of many if not all the other major blocks (clay and I guess the 1.8 granite, etc. materials.)

The only major thing I really want is some sort of "super lamp" So you could have much more effective and even lighting with fewer light fixtures.

I'm sure there's interesting redstone contraptions that could be of use to hardcore MC guys (even if it was something like crafting a single block inverter or something so that sprawling redstone contraptions could be compacted down.)

EDIT: Someone in the Twitter stream responded with "seasons", which would be an interesting wrinkle in survival games. It definitely seems like it would slow the progression of "I'm defenseless" to "I am a self-sufficient steamroller". Biome generation in general has always been a little odd, I'm not sure how seasons would interact with that.

Cmagus

The only major thing I really want is some sort of "super lamp" So you could have much more effective and even lighting with fewer light fixtures.

I would love this and I really wish they would put in multicoloured lights it would be awesome to give your builds some atmosphere.

Fuchsdh

That reminds me, now that I have an Nvidia GTX970 I need to play with some inspector settings for Minecraft. I might even mess around with some shaders too. I've never even bothered trying before...

I've been fighting a losing battle to try and get shaders working on my Mac (SEUS apparently don't work at all, Sildur's have been finicky and usually only end up with distorted graphics in the bottom of the screen.)

If I ever do get them working I do want to do a beauty pass of GAFland :) Not sure how well my 7950 could hold up to the shaders though at 1080p.

Crispy75

I started a little private server with my brother, who's a newbie.
The first thing I caught with a fishing rod was a fish.
The *second* thing I caught was a Power 4 Punch 1 Fire 1 Unbreaking 3 bow.
O_O

zer0das

Banned
Can someone add me to NeoCraft's whitelist? Or is this something weird on my end, because Ark said he didn't think there was one...

I couldn't find anything in the NeoCraft config files thing. For the first time ever I'm actually lost :D

Nah nah nah nah I know something Ark doesn't :p . I used the command :-

/whitelist add blahdeblah69

in the remote console thingymajig on multiplay. This adds the user to the whitelist automatically. You can probably do it in minecraft too. I can't because I am just a lowly mod from a poor family, nobody loves me mamma mia mamma mia .... etc etc

Now this learned individual is trotting his immense intellect off to bed

Top Bottom