• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

zer0das

Banned
Ehh.. the info center is situated higher so you can see it while riding in. There's also the walkway that has a clearer view. That was the idea anyways. But I'm not particularly attached to the design, so meh. Probably going to redo the top at least.

TheFirstOrder

Neo Member
hi guys,
after playing this game solo for a while, i think it's time for something different.
can i get whitelisted?

EDIT: i forgot to add that my username is the same as this one: TheFirstOrder

-Minsc-

hi guys,
after playing this game solo for a while, i think it's time for something different.
can i get whitelisted?

EDIT: i forgot to add that my username is the same as this one: TheFirstOrder

I have added you to the list, welcome to the server. Feel free to take your time to look around, there's lots to see. To assist with travel we have an over world rail transit system and a nether road network. In addition we have a transportation pillar to allow quick travel between the initial 1.7 spawn town and the new 1.8 spawn town. If you have any questions about the server just as in game or here in this thread. Someone will be happy to assist.

Here's a map of the transit system:

QaPcm7b.png

NeoCraft's own nihontiger has his own YouTube series chronicling his builds and other adventures on the server (exploits on the current map begin at episode 73. In addition to Minecraft he has an array of other games featured on his channel.

Have fun TheFirstOrder and enjoy your stay.

Fuchsdh

I thought these were funny:

iJzjZ34.png

Bs1kZP5.png

WHO AM I!?!? And Rikui casually standing there. Delivering cookies, it's important.

You look like you're sniffing your armpit :)

Also, it occurred to me that I didn't quite think through the hub station, in that there are two lines that have to go west at least some way, and that collides with your welcome station. I can shunt them off immediately to the sides and burrow them underground, but I don't know what you have underneath there.

zer0das

Banned
Well, aside from my partially built lava moat, I have some tunnels connecting my buildings about 10-20 blocks deep, but nothing aside from that for the most part. Is there a reason you don't want to go around it above the surface? Or around the walls? I'm not saying you have to, I'm just wondering how you're envisioning things.

Might be easier to just have a chat about it on the server sometime. I'm pretty open to modifying stuff to accommodate transit, as long as it doesn't plow through any of the important buildings (so basically the library, the throne room, the houses, and all the farm stuff near the houses).

If you'd be interested, maybe we could even get a switching system going so the walls open up when a minecart is on its way through.

Fuchsdh

Well, aside from my partially built lava moat, I have some tunnels connecting my buildings about 10-20 blocks deep, but nothing aside from that for the most part. Is there a reason you don't want to go around it above the surface? Or around the walls? I'm not saying you have to, I'm just wondering how you're envisioning things.

Might be easier to just have a chat about it on the server sometime. I'm pretty open to modifying stuff to accommodate transit, as long as it doesn't plow through any of the important buildings (so basically the library, the throne room, the houses, and all the farm stuff near the houses).

If you'd be interested, maybe we could even get a switching system going so the walls open up when a minecart is on its way through.

I'd just rather have it underground so it doesn't get in the way of your view/main build.

We can chat it out whenever we're both on the server at the same time, yeah.

I've recently ran into some skeletons with golden armor, weird. also, I made a wall of fire around my house but for some reason, mobs still spawn on the inner side of it.

zer0das

Banned
I derp around with redstone for a bit. This stuff is hard sometimes, even when you think you know what you're doing.

After spending like 3-4 days messing with pistons and other stuff, I think I understand it for the most part. But then you try to get a bunch of stuff firing off from the same lever or button and it's just like noooo, don't want to do that for some reason (and it's not because of redstone signal falloff either). Then you spend like an hour trying to finagle things so it works on a shoestring, before you throw your hands up and try again later.

Fuchsdh

Basic stuff with repeaters and such I can figure out, but the stable circuits and whatnot are what throw me. I just follow Youtube tutorials and trial-and-error my own modifications as necessary.

SomTervo

Was the September 2014 update the console one for horses etc? Cant believe i havent played for so long if that's the case. Just booted it up with my GF on PS4 after a looong hiatus.

Is there a PS4 GAF server? Would love to be whitelisted if so

-Minsc-

Was the September 2014 update the console one or horses etc? Cant believe i havent played for so long if that's the case. Just booted it up with my GF on PS4 after a looong hiatus.

Is there a PS4 GAF server? Would love to be whitelisted if so

This thread typically deals with the PC version of Minecraft so any whitelisting is for the PC server. I don't know much about the console versions. The console thread can be found here. They should be able to answer your questions. :)

If you ever buy the computer version I'll be happy to whitelist you here. :)

-Minsc-

Hey Folks!

Server seems to be down for the moment. I went and did a manual reboot and it doesn't seem to want to start back up. For now I'll let it sit for an hour and see what happens. Sometimes things happen on Multiplay's end in which all I can do is wait. Until then, sit tight. :)

Edit: Back up!

Fuchsdh

It's that time again! Rail time!

Thanks to some helpers, there's been some major rail expansions into the western lands. Now you can journey out in style and see the sights! New stations:

Magenta Line: WEST (From GAF Central)
Tiefstadt
Relax in this city, subterranean no more! Plenty of shops, libraries, and markets.

Brown Line: WEST (From Wooleytown/Mushroom Biland)
Lexi Belle
This hub station offers a spectacular view of the ocean and Charlie's Red Line.

MCM Lighthouse
Large. Ancient. Inscrutable.

Flower Farm
Ooh, pretty!

Bentlelands
Bentles-Approved.

Dschunglewald
A rustic and remote station situated at the corner of dark woods, oak forest, and plains.

Dschunglewald
A rustic and remote station situated at the corner of dark woods, oak forest, and plains.

White Line: SOUTH (From Pioneer Town/New Spawn)
Golden Plain
Horses, sunflowers, and more.

Dwarf Fortress
Moria has nothing on this.

Extreme Hills
An underground station nestled in high mountain peaks.

Barrowfield
A natural village near a savanna.

Aurora
A desert village near a river.

Greatwood
Deep, dark woods around here.

Hub Station: GAF West
Transfer to the brown, magenta, or white lines, or visit Zero's Koopa Keep!

And, if you want to see the updated rail map, it's below (click to make huge.)

-Minsc-

Thanks to some helpers, there's been some major rail expansions into the western lands. Now you can journey out in style and see the sights!

Looking good!

I was travelling along the orange line and noticed it's rather incomplete from GAF Central to the Brown Line transfer hub. Anything special you have planned for that line? I'm getting all keen to work on it and have having a hard time holding myself back. As it is I already started widening the tunnel for the second track and and got a start building a more permanent Ser-Mur station. Since you are the rail boss I want to get the Okie-Dokie before I go too much farther. :)

Fuchsdh

Looking good!

I was travelling along the orange line and noticed it's rather incomplete from GAF Central to the Brown Line transfer hub. Anything special you have planned for that line? I'm getting all keen to work on it and have having a hard time holding myself back. As it is I already started widening the tunnel for the second track and and got a start building a more permanent Ser-Mur station. Since you are the rail boss I want to get the Okie-Dokie before I go too much farther. :)

No that's fine. It was mostly done but then Crispy rerouted it to do the Sur Mer station. I had forgotten about it. Build away!

-Minsc-

No that's fine. It was mostly done but then Crispy rerouted it to do the Sur Mer station. I had forgotten about it. Build away!

Cool, I'll get it up to completion so it's actually up to date with the map. Seeing as the above map is dated May 1, 2015 I have until then to get it done. ;)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Thanks to some helpers, there's been some major rail expansions into the western lands. Now you can journey out in style and see the sights! New stations:

Flower Farm

wAkoLlJ.png

Ooh, pretty!

Oh cool, my flower farm is now attached to the rail network! I didn't even know that, thanks to whoever did it!

I did notice those buttons for switching between creative and survival. Is there any sort of rules associated with that, or is this place more free for all now, since I've been gone?

-Minsc-

I did notice those buttons for switching between creative and survival. Is there any sort of rules associated with that, or is this place more free for all now, since I've been gone?

They are free to use by anyone. The only rules I can think of would be those put in place by the leader of a group project. For personal projects you have the choice of survival or creative (this is a result of losing multiword support when we updated to vanilla 1.8).

Fuchsdh

Real men and women use survival. Except when building rails. Then I use creative, because nobody got time for that without the teleport commands.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Jeb or whoever making Bukkit compatible with 1.8?

I'm a bit late to the part, but I was recently turned on to Minecraft this past weekend and, well, let's just say that I spent hours building and exploring much to the chagrin of my significant other. I'm playing on the PS4, so I can't visit the community world, but I wanted to declare the fondness that I've gained for the game.

They are free to use by anyone. The only rules I can think of would be those put in place by the leader of a group project. For personal projects you have the choice of survival or creative (this is a result of losing multiword support when we updated to vanilla 1.8).

Ah, okay. That's pretty cool.

Real men and women use survival. Except when building rails. Then I use creative, because nobody got time for that without the teleport commands.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Jeb or whoever making Bukkit compatible with 1.8?

Hell yeah, survival is the best!

...except for earlier when I used Creative. But that was because I lost a bunch of stuff somehow since the last time I logged on! IT WAS JUSTICE.

-Minsc-

I'll take this moment to introduce everyone to your newest Overlord. Fuchsdh is now part of the NeoCraft moderation team. This means he can now stalk everyone using the teleport command.

Holkin

In my opinion there is no reason to use rails for traveling when command blocks are available. Sometimes railway may look great and be great idea in general, but for traveling purposes you can just hit the button. For other applications creative mode resources are just trade-off between available time and ambitions in projects.
My other opinion is that Minecraft is not about a fancy buildings creating, but process of implementing challenging tasks with admiring results afterwards. And survival mode as additional limitation is interesting enough.

-Minsc-

I suppose the reason for there being minimal command block travel on the server is due to those of us with access to them are more survival focused. If there were an admin who really wanted to go gung-ho creating a fast travel pillar network I ultimately wouldn't stop them. Though I personally have little ambition to set up such a network.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
In my opinion there is no reason to use rails for traveling when command blocks are available. Sometimes railway may look great and be great idea in general, but for traveling purposes you can just hit the button. For other applications creative mode resources are just trade-off between available time and ambitions in projects.

BAH! Command blocks cheapen the experience IMHO. There is nothing more satisfying than building a huge rail or nether transportation network and then using it to move around, sightseeing along the way, building new things for scenery and stops. Or using horses to move about, or roads to travel. Home commands and warps make all of that pointless. You might as well just play in creative!

But that's the beauty of the game, you can play like you want to.

Fuchsdh

If they made horse riding and minecarts less janky that would probably also improve the experience of non-nether travel. As it is, I hate the nether so overland routes are definitely preferred. If I didn't need so much damn glowstone I'd never go there.

-Minsc-

Speaking of railways, I'm currently in the process of revamping (AKA replacing the unfinished single track route with a spiffy new double track route) the orange line from GAF Central to the orange/brown line junction. Here's a peak.

Sur-Mer-Platform.png

Sur-Mer Platform

Sur-Mer-Tunnel.png

Tunnel leading into the platform.

The majority of the tunnel design I give credit to whomever built the orange/brown junction.

Speaking of railways, I'm currently in the process of revamping (AKA replacing the unfinished single track route with a spiffy new double track route) the orange line from GAF Central to the orange/brown line junction. Here's a peak.

The majority of the tunnel design I give credit to whomever built the orange/brown junction.

Speaking of the railway, I don't want to step on anyone toes here, but is it alright if I mess around with the station under my fortress? I don't plan and moving the lines around or anything. I was just thinking of giving the actually station a few personal touches. I'm on the Brown Line, so I know the remodeling efforts are coming my way. I just wanted to check before anyone put too much work into it.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of the railway, I don't want to step on anyone toes here, but is it alright if I mess around with the station under my fortress? I don't plan and moving the lines around or anything. I was just thinking of giving the actually station a few personal touches. I'm on the Brown Line, so I know the remodeling efforts are coming my way. I just wanted to check before anyone put too much work into it.

That's fine. I built out all the below and above-ground stations to the same basic template but that's just guidelines and for people who don't care. :)

'Twas Woolley I believe. I ended up adapting it and using it for a lot of the underground rail portions.

-Minsc-

Has anything been hinted with regards to potential future updates/features? It seems they went in stealth mode (compared to a year ago)

During the April Fools update it was revealed 1.9 is to be the combat update. You can scour the official twitters for more information.

During the April Fools update it was revealed 1.9 is to be the combat update. You can scour the official twitters for more information.

I'm looking forward to it, even if it'll likely be a few months. Although I miss the old days of having an update almost every week, it's nice to see huge updates full of stuff once in a while. The frustrating thing is when they don't plan ahead, though. Like, anyone should have been able to predict that, once you introduce new types of stone, people will want stairs and slabs of them. And yet we don't have them. But combat is something that desperately needs improvement, so I'm excited to see what they come up with.

For future reference, this is a list on Reddit that keeps track of everything the Devs have publicly said they're planning for the next update. The guy who made the post is pretty good about editing in new info, so that's my go-to if I'm curious.

Fuchsdh

I'm still interested in collaborative projects.

Minsc is helping me with the rails, other than that I dunno what big projects people are working on. I'm putting some finishing touches on one of my builds, and then I'm working on a pretty huge long-term project, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to do it on NeoCraft or if it's better left to its own server.

For future reference, this is a list on Reddit that keeps track of everything the Devs have publicly said they're planning for the next update. The guy who made the post is pretty good about editing in new info, so that's my go-to if I'm curious.

Ooh, thanks for the link. The OpenGL and performance upgrades are what most excite me. Stair and slab versions of the new stone types would be nice too, as would different wood trapdoors... and really the only block I really crave is a pedestal-type thing for displaying books in a nicer form than item frames.

Ooh, thanks for the link. The OpenGL and performance upgrades are what most excite me. Stair and slab versions of the new stone types would be nice too, as would different wood trapdoors... and really the only block I really crave is a pedestal-type thing for displaying books in a nicer form than item frames.

I think a book display is the most obvious thing it the world, and it's so frustrating that it doesn't exist. The worst is that one of the devs was working on the idea for a while, but abandoned it. You can even see pictures of the Lectern on the wiki, but the guy just gave up on the idea. The lack of such a block makes books that much less useful.

Top Bottom