• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

woolley

I think the main reason they don't add all the different variations of new blocks right away is to artificially make the next updates bigger to try and extend the playability without putting a lot of work into it.

I'm still interested in collaborative projects.

I've always liked the look of those modern city builds, with skyscrapers and such. Something like that would probably need to be a creative endeavor, but I think it would be a cool group project. Just have one person lay out some street grids and people can start building skyscrapers wherever they way. Get a big seaport, maybe and airport, subways. All that neat stuff.

masud

Banned
My guardian grinder is finally finished (minus some aesthetic tweaks). You can check it out by taking the side door from my (nytonm's) nether portal room (purple hall) and following the torches. Or if you're feeling adventurous you can grab a boat and sail there (2200, 3100). Now I have to extend my nether hallway to it...

Its a great place to farm slimes and ink sacs too!

Holkin

I've always liked the look of those modern city builds, with skyscrapers and such. Something like that would probably need to be a creative endeavor, but I think it would be a cool group project. Just have one person lay out some street grids and people can start building skyscrapers wherever they way. Get a big seaport, maybe and airport, subways. All that neat stuff.
I could think about laying out the city. Maybe something interesting will come up.
It would be nice to get some fancy builds for ideas.

I have another project with such approach.
The main idea is to define some part of world as playing map and build there some sort of village or several ones from resources found in defined area. And if you use stone for some buildings there have to be quarry and mason workshop to make stone blocks. And maybe some transporting system.
It is some sort of incremental building. You just start from scratch and improve it by little changes. And if one come to see this village he may never see the same picture there. Some buildings appear, some become abandoned or even ruined.
The main requirement is to keep harmony between world and creation.

But my request for collaborative building is quite different. I want to share responsibility for single project with someone. And I think it would be fair just to assist with someone's project. If someone wants to help me I can think about a project, but atm I have no such idea.
And it would be nice having not big project for that. Big projects are made with already formed teams or just maniacs. Many people start huge projects and leave it on beginning. Only maniacs finish.

-Minsc-

I could think about laying out the city. Maybe something interesting will come up.
It would be nice to get some fancy builds for ideas.

I have another project with such approach.
The main idea is to define some part of world as playing map and build there some sort of village or several ones from resources found in defined area. And if you use stone for some buildings there have to be quarry and mason workshop to make stone blocks. And maybe some transporting system.
It is some sort of incremental building. You just start from scratch and improve it by little changes. And if one come to see this village he may never see the same picture there. Some buildings appear, some become abandoned or even ruined.
The main requirement is to keep harmony between world and creation.

But my request for collaborative building is quite different. I want to share responsibility for single project with someone. And I think it would be fair just to assist with someone's project. If someone wants to help me I can think about a project, but atm I have no such idea.
And it would be nice having not big project for that. Big projects are made with already formed teams or just maniacs. Many people start huge projects and leave it on beginning. Only maniacs finish.

I'll keep your offer in mind. Right now I'm picking away at the rails. If you are looking for a project head way down south (beyond the TAMPON) and I'm sure there's space at Arkyoto for you at add to the village. I believe Liz has public projects on the go as well. Visit those who are active on the server and see if they want a hand, even if it's just gathering materials. Can't hurt to ask.

Exhibit A: Charlie and his dome.

Not even maniacs finish.

zer0das

Banned
I have to say, finally getting a permanent storage solution worked out feels great.

http://i.imgur.com/xavUaeD.png

That's only ~1/4th my total storage space. I'm not sure how Rikui cuts down forests so quickly though, collecting resources so I don't have to pause when building is kind of wearing on me.

Not even maniacs finish.

Well technically speaking I did finish the dome all god knows how many million blocks of it. It's just there aint much in it other than a huge arse underground tree farm and a jungle island.

I am afraid I just ran out of steam with Minecraft. I have tried to get back into it but I just can't. I am starting to think I finally have the game out of my system and all it took was 3 cities and a huge dome to do it :p

Where is this dome? I don't recall seeing anything a million blocks big in my travels... o_O

Ah it's a fair journey down south on the ole TAMPON. Head south down the TAMPON till you get to "Lucy Versamy" station then go to the top level of that station and take the west rail and you come to the dome erm you can't really miss it :p

I still have a snapshot I took of it here it is :-

OgFHI9N.png

If memory serves it was my biggest ever dome (at 2.5 million glass blocks all done in survival, mined and cooked) but it is nothing in comparison to my beloved first dome city :-

Xun

Well technically speaking I did finish the dome all god knows how many million blocks of it. It's just there aint much in it other than a huge arse underground tree farm and a jungle island.

I am afraid I just ran out of steam with Minecraft. I have tried to get back into it but I just can't. I am starting to think I finally have the game out of my system and all it took was 3 cities and a huge dome to do it :p
Same.

To be honest I'm a lot happier without the game. :p

The great thing about being a person who always jumped in and out of Minecraft is that the game always feels fresh for me. To be honest I've never even really taking a chance to mess with any of the mods.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Same.

To be honest I'm a lot happier without the game. :p

I haven't been playing much lately but that's only because Elite Dangerous and Cities Skylines came out. And I've been playing Diablo 3 again lately.

Minecraft is a game I always take breaks from but end up going back to over and over again, ever since I bought it back in July of 2010. Now with summer coming my game time will be at a premium again but come fall I have no doubt I'll be mining and building once more.

zer0das

Banned
Ah, okay. The deep south is pretty much the only place I haven't been so that would be why I haven't seen it. I'll probably go back to mapping everything out eventually, but I kind of want to focus on building up my place for a while.

Exploring things without following rails or roads is pretty costly in diamond maintenance. >_>

Holkin

I am afraid I just ran out of steam with Minecraft. I have tried to get back into it but I just can't.

I know that feeling.
Just don't run the game for several months, find just starting LP series on youtube, and definitely you will run the game one day. And when this day will come just start from scratch.
It is also important not to run the game prematurely.

r_x2

I'm not sure how Rikui cuts down forests so quickly though, collecting resources so I don't have to pause when building is kind of wearing on me.
I actually really enjoy gathering resources, get yourself some BGM so you don't get bored.

I haven't been playing much lately but that's only because Elite Dangerous and Cities Skylines came out.

Bloodborne has been my poison for the last 2 weeks.

The great thing about being a person who always jumped in and out of Minecraft is that the game always feels fresh for me. To be honest I've never even really taking a chance to mess with any of the mods.

This is me. I made a post in the thread earlier about wanting mods, but I never really got into it. Instead, I just drifted away from minecraft for a couple months, but now I'm obsessed again.

Fuchsdh

To me, the issues with mods and versions is that it's a hassle to migrate. Install Forge for a given version, you're stuck on it. A variety of loaders, hacks, mods that work with X and Y, not Z. That's where Mojang, er, crafting a system akin to resource packs would be beneficial. Right now installing a mod feels too much like a lock-in, and there's too much friction for casual users to test things out. Even if not all mods use the official system or want to, setting that sort of ecosystem up would be a massive boost.

As it is, I'm trying to figure out the "more paintings" mod so I can embellish a project I'm working on offline, and I can't figure out why it won't work. Factor in that lots of these mods are under unclear status (whether they're abandoned, or actively being worked on) and having a central repo for these sorts of things would be a great asset as well.

r1chard

I tired of vanilla Minecraft a while back. I encourage you to try out one of the popular modpacks through atlauncher if you're also in that situation. Let the modpack maintainers deal with compatibility issues for you.

Holkin

Mod packs are too heavy. Even particular mods are becoming more and more sophisticated. I can't imagine someone optimize such mods except the developers. And it seems developers work on new fancy features and fixing critical bugs, but not optimizing to work in mod packs.
Some time ago GregTech was incredibly popular.

r1chard

Mod packs are too heavy. Even particular mods are becoming more and more sophisticated. I can't imagine someone optimize such mods except the developers. And it seems developers work on new fancy features and fixing critical bugs, but not optimizing to work in mod packs.
I disagree. Reading the changelogs for a number of popular mods indicates to me that they're very interested in performance, and tools like CoFH Core etc exist precisely to help mod integration and remove duplication of functionality.

Holkin

In fact, in 1.5 minecraft I can use TE mod. Now in 1.7.10 you need to make decisions.
Tell me where I can read about CoFH Core. I have read something about they doing some standardization e.a. redstone flux instead of MJ and so on. And many major mods already accepted RF standard. But if you see in game, not every engine work with every consumer. You still need to do some tricks to pass RF from BC to TE for example.

Any simple way to increase the speed of minecarts? Just trying to make my subway system more worthwhile.

There are the booster tracks you can build out of gold and redstone, but those only get you so fast. It only takes a couple to get to full speed, and then you only need place one like every dozen or so to stay at that speed. I can't remember the math, but I'm sure you can find it only. That's about it, though. No turbo speed.

There are the booster tracks you can build out of gold and redstone, but those only get you so fast. It only takes a couple to get to full speed, and then you only need place one like every dozen or so to stay at that speed. I can't remember the math, but I'm sure you can find it only. That's about it, though. No turbo speed.

Yeah i knwo about them, more meant like a mod of tweak to say triple the speed.

r1chard

In fact, in 1.5 minecraft I can use TE mod. Now in 1.7.10 you need to make decisions.
Tell me where I can read about CoFH Core. I have read something about they doing some standardization e.a. redstone flux instead of MJ and so on. And many major mods already accepted RF standard. But if you see in game, not every engine work with every consumer. You still need to do some tricks to pass RF from BC to TE for example.
It's pretty trivial to google "cofh core" and find their website / github repos and, well, I'm not sure what your point is otherwise. RF and MJ are different things - one represents power (electricity) and the other represents mechanical force. There's no standardisation to be done there. And yeah, if you want to use BC then you need to produce MJ somehow. Haven't used BC in ages though - I prefer Thermal Expansion, Mekanism, IndustrialCraft, Ender IO, Big Reactors, Applied Energistics, etc (unless I'm playing a different style of game in which case I avoid packs with all the industrialisation mods ;)

If you don't think that's fun, that's fine! I find it fun :)

It's pretty trivial to google "cofh core" and find their website / github repos and, well, I'm not sure what your point is otherwise. RF and MJ are different things - one represents power (electricity) and the other represents mechanical force. There's no standardisation to be done there. And yeah, if you want to use BC then you need to produce MJ somehow. Haven't used BC in ages though - I prefer Thermal Expansion, Mekanism, IndustrialCraft, Ender IO, Big Reactors, Applied Energistics, etc (unless I'm playing a different style of game in which case I avoid packs with all the industrialisation mods ;)

If you don't think that's fun, that's fine! I find it fun :)

Every time I hear or read about modpacks, they just sound so amazing. But every time I try one, I just can't get into it. I don't know why. There's just something about them that doesn't click with me the way Minecraft Vanilla does. I can't put my finger on it. But still, I love how open they are about allowing modding. Even if one of the devs reiterated yesterday that technically they've never officially supported mods, they do recognize how big the modding community is. And sure, maybe the modding API is 3 years in the making now, but I'm sure it'll turn up any day now! :p

Holkin

My point is too collect information about trends in minecraft mod development.
For example you may know that Redpower mod was abandoned, but another team created Project Red to replace RP in newer versions.
Another tendency is migrating to RF standard. MJ is somehow considered bad solution. Forestry, Railcraft and BC have changed their engines to produce RF instead of MJ. And many other mods from different developers are already support RF.
And there is nothing strange if TE developers provide basis for other mods like Minecraft Forge.

Holkin

Every time I hear or read about modpacks, they just sound so amazing. But every time I try one, I just can't get into it. I don't know why. There's just something about them that doesn't click with me the way Minecraft Vanilla does. I can't put my finger on it.

It may depend on playing style. I like just to learn what is available and how I can use it. You just dig new block, jump on wiki and find something cool to make. Automation, bees breading, nuclear plants...

Now I'm playing Binnie's with TE+BC+RC. Challenge is to have all 100+ tree species without wiki. I have discovered about 20 already (and it seems to me, jungle trees don't give new species like in 1.6). You just have your favorite vanilla with some new building blocks, resource multiplier and mining automation.

r1chard

It may depend on playing style. I like just to learn what is available and how I can use it. You just dig new block, jump on wiki and find something cool to make. Automation, bees breading, nuclear plants...

Now I'm playing Binnie's with TE+BC+RC. Challenge is to have all 100+ tree species without wiki. I have discovered about 20 already (and it seems to me, jungle trees don't give new species like in 1.6). You just have your favorite vanilla with some new building blocks, resource multiplier and mining automation.
I've never really explored the bee/forestry parts of the mega modpacks I've played. I do intend to some day - do you think they're worth it?

I've just "finished" playing Sky Factory 2. "finished" because I've pretty much reached the point where it's not a Sky Factory challenge any more, it's just a regular, albeit limited modpack. It was an interesting - and fun - challenge, but once you have full zivicio armor, a Big Reactor and several ender quarries in the Deep Dark, you know, it's kinda done ;)

Fuchsdh

I've never really explored the bee/forestry parts of the mega modpacks I've played. I do intend to some day - do you think they're worth it?

I've just "finished" playing Sky Factory 2. "finished" because I've pretty much reached the point where it's not a Sky Factory challenge any more, it's just a regular, albeit limited modpack. It was an interesting - and fun - challenge, but once you have full zivicio armor, a Big Reactor and several ender quarries in the Deep Dark, you know, it's kinda done ;)

Well, I think that’s an issue with some people who play Minecraft in general—at some point, “you’re done”, and they feel like there’s nothing left to do. People who keep playing MineCraft are the people who keep on setting their own goals.

Holkin

It depends.
You just spend big amount of time on routine tasks and sometimes get reward of new useless bee specie. It is like a gambling.
As for me I'm fanatic of idea to get variety of things from small fixed set. You start with 10 species and maybe 10 queens and later you will have hundreds of drones of different hybrids with different qualities.
There is a little hint: BC's quarry can dig Binnie's rocky hives. A full sized quarry gives you about 10-20 new queens, mainly of pristine stock.

Well, I think that’s an issue with some people who play Minecraft in general—at some point, “you’re done”, and they feel like there’s nothing left to do. People who keep playing MineCraft are the people who keep on setting their own goals.

That's definitely a big part of it. A reason it's so hard for me to get bored of Minecraft is because when I'm bored, I can just build something else. That's why I think my favorite additions are simply new blocks. I don't care as much about combat or engine stuff. Exploring is really only fun the first time. But new blocks just me all new kinds of building.

Fuchsdh

That's definitely a big part of it. A reason it's so hard for me to get bored of Minecraft is because when I'm bored, I can just build something else. That's why I think my favorite additions are simply new blocks. I don't care as much about combat or engine stuff. Exploring is really only fun the first time. But new blocks just me all new kinds of building.

Well I think improvements to combat and such will increasing the longevity if there's a bit more depth there. (It also probably has an outsize effect on things like UHC.) I have thought about ways they could presumably A) ramp up difficulty and B) add a longer progression to satisfy people who really like that element. It's definitely true in normal survival games that at some point, you snowball and short of doing something stupid like dropping into lava you're invulnerable and non-threatened.

UHC solves the first issue, although no one plays it long enough to experience B).

I've thought about how the game would change if the world got increasingly harsh over time—the longer your SP world goes on, the tougher enemies would get, they'd gain new abilities and force you to maintain defenses, that sort of thing. But again, that would be catering to a subset of players—hence why probably an official, decent mod API is the best thing they can do to please *lots* of people. Fans are always going to be able to iterate and add more stuff faster and without the same regard.

Well I think improvements to combat and such will increasing the longevity if there's a bit more depth there. (It also probably has an outsize effect on things like UHC.) I have thought about ways they could presumably A) ramp up difficulty and B) add a longer progression to satisfy people who really like that element. It's definitely true in normal survival games that at some point, you snowball and short of doing something stupid like dropping into lava you're invulnerable and non-threatened.

UHC solves the first issue, although no one plays it long enough to experience B).

I've thought about how the game would change if the world got increasingly harsh over time—the longer your SP world goes on, the tougher enemies would get, they'd gain new abilities and force you to maintain defenses, that sort of thing. But again, that would be catering to a subset of players—hence why probably an official, decent mod API is the best thing they can do to please *lots* of people. Fans are always going to be able to iterate and add more stuff faster and without the same regard.

Yeah, I used to dream of the same thing. And they implemented it slightly, with mob difficulty increasing a bit if you don't move. But I always pictured lots of bosses, dungeons to clear, stuff like that. As far as that goes, I actually like they way they implemented boss fights when it came to the Ender Dragon (The Wither to a lesser extent). I think it's a great idea to make a boss fight occur in a different dimension that players can choose to travel to. It makes it easy for people not interested in fighting the dragon to simply play the game as if it were never added, while giving the adventurous types more options. I would love it if the world were filled with different kinds of structures, and each one contained a portal that led to a small dimension where some sort of boss fight/puzzle happened. I like that the dragon drops a trophy that doesn't do anything. It's a cool way to make bragging rights. I would go one step further and have bosses drop trophies, and a powerful, end game item. For example, it would be awesome to have an item that enabled flying in survival. Or maybe something like a beacon, but it changes the biome in a circumference around it. Things like that, I would love.

But, I know my tastes for what would make a good adventure mode my sound like shit to another person who wants something totally different. Which is why I'm always sure to be satisfied with more blocks!

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I used to dream of the same thing. And they implemented it slightly, with mob difficulty increasing a bit if you don't move. But I always pictured lots of bosses, dungeons to clear, stuff like that. As far as that goes, I actually like they way they implemented boss fights when it came to the Ender Dragon (The Wither to a lesser extent). I think it's a great idea to make a boss fight occur in a different dimension that players can choose to travel to. It makes it easy for people not interested in fighting the dragon to simply play the game as if it were never added, while giving the adventurous types more options. I would love it if the world were filled with different kinds of structures, and each one contained a portal that led to a small dimension where some sort of boss fight/puzzle happened. I like that the dragon drops a trophy that doesn't do anything. It's a cool way to make bragging rights. I would go one step further and have bosses drop trophies, and a powerful, end game item. For example, it would be awesome to have an item that enabled flying in survival. Or maybe something like a beacon, but it changes the biome in a circumference around it. Things like that, I would love.

But, I know my tastes for what would make a good adventure mode my sound like shit to another person who wants something totally different. Which is why I'm always sure to be satisfied with more blocks!

Yeah, giving creative powers in survival might be one way of extending the player progression—potions of flying and whatnot. Your idea of dungeons and minibosses are probably a good one—something more elaborate than the strongholds we currently have, maybe with more puzzles would definitely scratch an itch.

Biomes are one element I kind of wish were more flexible, yet it seems like such an integral part of the base game I'm not sure you could adjust without serious ramifications. Being able to do things like change your mountain base to be completely snowy or stop it from constantly raining would be something I'm sure plenty of builders would appreciate.

Yeah, giving creative powers in survival might be one way of extending the player progression—potions of flying and whatnot. Your idea of dungeons and minibosses are probably a good one—something more elaborate than the strongholds we currently have, maybe with more puzzles would definitely scratch an itch.

Biomes are one element I kind of wish were more flexible, yet it seems like such an integral part of the base game I'm not sure you could adjust without serious ramifications. Being able to do things like change your mountain base to be completely snowy or stop it from constantly raining would be something I'm sure plenty of builders would appreciate.

Yeah, I do remember hearing something about the way Biomes are coded into the world makes it almost impossible to change them after they've generated. To change that, they'd have to alter a lot of the base game code. Something that would take a long time and break basically every single mod.

Definitely count me among the people who would like to be able to change Biome info, though. I built my Ice Fortress in a desert, after all. Only when I was halfway through did I realize that that meant I couldn't spawn snowmen, because they die in the desert.

Honestly modpacks are fun but they are what kinda kills goals.

Vanilla goals seems to have more weight to them.

I agree, but again, I hate diminishing what I've seen people build in mods, because it's incredible. I hope Mojang continues to take more inspiration from mods. I want more details in my building!

I think doing Vanilla, Survival builds are the best. In fact, it makes me said that GAFLand is a mix, now, because I feel like creative builds diminish how impressive the survival ones are. Granted, I understand the necessity of making the server in a mixed one, because it was the only way we could move into 1.8. And I'd rather be in 1.8 with the mix, than in the past without it.

Plus, I've lost license to complain since I've used it a couple times to cheat...

r1chard

It depends.
You just spend big amount of time on routine tasks and sometimes get reward of new useless bee specie. It is like a gambling.
As for me I'm fanatic of idea to get variety of things from small fixed set. You start with 10 species and maybe 10 queens and later you will have hundreds of drones of different hybrids with different qualities.
There is a little hint: BC's quarry can dig Binnie's rocky hives. A full sized quarry gives you about 10-20 new queens, mainly of pristine stock.
Ah, cool. The starting-from-a-small-set is what attracted me to Sky Factory 2. Starting in a world that consists only of a single oak tree and a single dirt block and minecrafting everything from that. It was a fun challenge, especially when I also discovered the nether had no ground either :)

Honestly modpacks are fun but they are what kinda kills goals.

Vanilla goals seems to have more weight to them.
Whereas for me, the vanilla goals kinda run out too early for me, and the additional goals introduced by mods (industrialisation, or developing magic powers, or constructing a world that starts out with just a single tree and one dirt block) add something for me to aim for in my play. I'm not a huge builder - I've been playing Minecraft so long that I've built all the castles, and statues, and whatever else that I'm likely to build. I still enjoy building up a nice base, but it ends up being parallel to the other goals that the mods are enabling me to achieve.

I think my next modpack will be the MadPack. "complete quests and challenges while just about everything including the pack wants you dead!" oh yussss :)

Sarcasm

Eh I played most mod packs to hell and back. Once certain progressions are met it just turns into generic mush like vanilla. One of the reasons why I have stopped playing are cause of mods.

Most packs were and are (for the most part just some don't have x but have x mod) the same which is why I pretty much have stopped playing minecraft in general. Ton of over lap. Doesn't help that vanilla mechanics are shit in minecraft like combat, enemies and difficulty typically is just an increase in mobs. Though there was one I played for a week that was actually different. Forgot name but it was interesting. You started on a small cave and had to progress between worlds. Had a few mechanics that were actually interesting like a sanity level. Not just some stupid hunger bar lol.

Not saying one of better was just saying the burnout is higher with mods.

I can't play without them but they have kept me from playing, but my situation is different cause I played a shit ton of packs and packs I made for myself.

EVIL

Behh.. logging in so now and then.. nobody online .. build a thing or start building a thing and logging off.

Its really starting to become incredibly boring. The Neocraft server is slowly dying (has been dying for a while now) and vanilla minecraft hasn't had any good updates for months to keep the server interesting, and I don't think the 1.9 update will make a huge difference.

Anyone hosting any cool modpack minecraft servers?

-Minsc-

Neocraft #147 is up, and man, I feel like I'm running out of things to do right away.

On the plus side, I've started working out how the whole pathway along the edge of the mountain might work but I could use some feedback on it.

Ahh, is it the feeling of the end goal being in view and knowing this journey is will come to an and?

As for the video topic, here's the article I mentioned in the video comments. Reverse Network Effects: Why Today's Social Networks Can Fail as They Grow Larger. As a person who's in the stage of considering to create YouTube content my focus is on how much I enjoy creating the content rather than how popular the potential content will be. I suppose there are three things people strive for. Personal satisfaction with whatever they create along with the popularity and wealth gained from our creations. At the end of the day there's only one of those three we can control, our own enjoyment. Everything else is out of our hands.

Mirk

Behh.. logging in so now and then.. nobody online .. build a thing or start building a thing and logging off.

Its really starting to become incredibly boring. The Neocraft server is slowly dying (has been dying for a while now) and vanilla minecraft hasn't had any good updates for months to keep the server interesting, and I don't think the 1.9 update will make a huge difference.

Anyone hosting any cool modpack minecraft servers?

I was thinking about setting up a server with Etho's modpack. With having a child now thou I never have time to play anything anymore. Damn kid making me be all responsible and adult like.

Holkin

I want to make minimalistic mod pack based on Ex Nihilo and BWG. I wish it be tech oriented (not combat, explore, additional dimensions).
Do you have any suggestions?
I'm not happy with minimal setup of Sky Factory and want to reduce it dramatically. About 5 mods above Ex Nihilo and BWG would be enough.

Top Bottom