• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

masud

Banned
Has anyone checked out my guardian grinder? Its only a 2 minute run from the central nether portal. Just take the side door in my portal room and follow the torches.

CdgvU2W.png

Fuchsdh

Has anyone checked out my guardian grinder? Its only a 2 minute run from the central nether portal. Just take the side door in my portal room and follow the torches.

Not yet, although I think I'll need some for my mines. You're SE in the nether right?

I've used one, but I don't think it's yours. I might check it out, though. I still have barely check out what things are like way up North. I'm still hanging around the old lands.

Sarcasm

Question about the launcher, do I have to use the built in java? Wide wants to play and the Java she uses is actually more recent and runs mc before the built in better.

-Minsc-

Question about the launcher, do I have to use the built in java? Wide wants to play and the Java she uses is actually more recent and runs mc before the built in better.

Edit a profile in the Minecraft launcher. Under the advanced java settings there's an option to change the path of the java version used.

Fuchsdh

Edit a profile in the Minecraft launcher. Under the advanced java settings there's an option to change the path of the java version used.

Hmm maybe that's why I haven't seen much better Java performance. I'll have to check that myself.

Speaking of performance, upgrading the version of OpenGL Minecraft uses would do wonders for its performance too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Change is a-comin', gentlemen.

xEj71Bl.png

Are those different arrow types? Interesting. Oh, and quivers and shields!!!

A reason it's so hard for me to get bored of Minecraft is because when I'm bored, I can just build something else. That's why I think my favorite additions are simply new blocks. I don't care as much about combat or engine stuff. Exploring is really only fun the first time. But new blocks just me all new kinds of building.

Yep, that's me, except I love the exploring aspect. After five years of vanilla Minecraft and I'm still not bored with the game, I have so many things I want to build yet. My problem with Minecraft lately is that I have too many other games to play, LOL. That and house projects, and now it's getting nice out again.

Are those different arrow types? Interesting. Oh, and quivers and shields!!!

Yep, that's me, except I love the exploring aspect. After five years of vanilla Minecraft and I'm still not bored with the game, I have so many things I want to build yet. My problem with Minecraft lately is that I have too many other games to play, LOL. That and house projects, and now it's getting nice out again.

Yes indeed! Dinnerbone posted that today. I hope to see some more melee weapons as well, if they can think of how to differentiate them. I'd love to see hammers and battleaxes.

Anyway, I do love the exploring aspect as well, I just get disappointed because usually, when they add new stuff to explore, I feel like I can get through it all in a bout a week and then I'm done. Pyramids and jungle temples, for example, were a great addition, but they're hardly exciting now. I think to make exploring more worth, these things need to offer unique experiences. If I go in a pyramid, I want to see mobs I won't see elsewhere and find loot that I can't craft, you know? Stuff to make me want to adventure. That's why the Wither is a cool boss. He gives you an awesome power up that makes you want to fight him. Which makes you want to explore the Nether to get those skulls.

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know why my avatar looks like this?
I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere online except for one thread somewhere which said it was probably due to them using a crack, which I'm not using. I downloaded Minecraft fresh today from minecraft.net and logged in using my SO's account, who bought it ages ago.

This might be a dumb question but does anyone know why my avatar looks like this?

I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere online except for one thread somewhere which said it was probably due to them using a crack, which I'm not using. I downloaded Minecraft fresh today from minecraft.net and logged in using my SO's account, who bought it ages ago.

It's a skin, which I believe you can change by logging on to minecraft.net and it's somewhere in the account details.

Can you link the post?

They have a tendency to try and hide these things and make treasure hunts out of the. So here is the link to the tweet, where Dinnerbone says the picture is meaningless and not worth clicking on. Here is the picture that he tweeted, which does appear to be nothing. And here is the Reddit comment where someone cracked it and explained his methodology.

Sarcasm

They have a tendency to try and hide these things and make treasure hunts out of the. So here is the link to the tweet, where Dinnerbone says the picture is meaningless and not worth clicking on. Here is the picture that he tweeted, which does appear to be nothing. And here is the Reddit comment where someone cracked it and explained his methodology.

Ah that is the post. I tried the link but it doesn't load for me lol. Why I couldn't find it haha! Why doesn't that image link work for me?

Ah that is the post. I tried the link but it doesn't load for me lol. Why I couldn't find it haha! Why doesn't that image link work for me?

Yeah, I'm not sure if the image Dinnerbone posted even actually contains anything until you do this trickery that the Redditor did.

Fuchsdh

So, once again, I start a project, but realize I kind of messed it up—when I started thinking about abusing my new-found mod powers to build teleporters, I realized things were not going well. So I will abandon this project for now and cart off my building materials for something I'm going to make sure is thoroughly figured out from the get-go. But pictures first! (NeoCraft Imgur album)

The metro stop, on the orange line: Altenau.

The courtyard.

Altenau from another angle, with the village perched on a spire of rock. I died a couple of times populating this. Jutting out from the mountain is the edge of the smithy station.

The throne room.

The map room, below the throne room.

Accommodations for guests range from dormitories...

...to two suites.

My chambers.

And the drop down to my mines. I couldn't get the item sorter to work, but I managed to figure out an automatic minecart system I do think I'll use to shuttle items up to chests in future builds, since it's surprisingly easy to do.

I might go back later and finish things up, but it's decently complete at this point barring the storage and smelting/production areas. I guess I've got a ways to go to properly plan setups involving integrating the existing terrain a bit more—constantly found myself running out of room and having to create more convoluted passages. But it did give me some cool ideas for another project, so I think I'll bundle up my stuff and work on that instead.

Vlad

Eh I played most mod packs to hell and back. Once certain progressions are met it just turns into generic mush like vanilla. One of the reasons why I have stopped playing are cause of mods.

Most packs were and are (for the most part just some don't have x but have x mod) the same which is why I pretty much have stopped playing minecraft in general. Ton of over lap. Doesn't help that vanilla mechanics are shit in minecraft like combat, enemies and difficulty typically is just an increase in mobs. Though there was one I played for a week that was actually different. Forgot name but it was interesting. You started on a small cave and had to progress between worlds. Had a few mechanics that were actually interesting like a sanity level. Not just some stupid hunger bar lol.

Not saying one of better was just saying the burnout is higher with mods.

I can't play without them but they have kept me from playing, but my situation is different cause I played a shit ton of packs and packs I made for myself.

I made a post about my feeling on a lot of mod packs a while back, and I still stand by that. While I can appreciate the work that goes into something like Minefactory Reloaded, things there are still way too automatic. On TheNix's server, I was working on learning Lua so I could make the robots there build spheres for me. While the end result would have been automation, it would have taken some work to get moving. Same with the ender lily harvester I mentioned in the linked post: it got me automatic ender pearls, but I had to put some thought into the implementation.

This ends up being more satisfying, since it takes effort on the player's part to get moving. Some mods try to add challenge via overly-complicated mechanics or crafting recipes (*cough* GregTech *cough*), but that ends up just being tedious. I'd like to see a mod pack that just has the mods that add new and interesting things without being overly powerful. No quarries or digital miners, but instead things that can make hand-mining marginally smipler. Even Thaumcraft's Arcane Bore is fairly balanced, due to requiring a fresh pickaxe, wand, AND power supply in order to run. Even storage on most modpacks is trivialized due to Applied Energistics. I'll be the first to admit that an Applied Energistics setup is one of the first things I work towards, and yes, there is a barrier to entry when it comes to the materials for the initial setup, but once you've got it going, you can store everything you could ever want in a setup that could fit in a small house.

I'd much rather be forced to figure out a good setup using barrels and the various item transfer conduits. Sure, it takes up more space, but it also makes you build more.

So what's the protocol on getting a Non-Gaffer on the server whitelist? Is that something I can have done? My girlfriend was considering getting back into Minecraft and I thought she might want to see some of the cool stuff on the server. Would that be kosher? I put her username hidden an an email tag in this post, just in case. If it's not allowed, that's no big deal. Thanks.

-Minsc-

So what's the protocol on getting a Non-Gaffer on the server whitelist? Is that something I can have done? My girlfriend was considering getting back into Minecraft and I thought she might want to see some of the cool stuff on the server. Would that be kosher? I put her username hidden an an email tag in this post, just in case. If it's not allowed, that's no big deal. Thanks.

Not a problem. She's on the list and good to go.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Plaaaaaaannnnssss

Wow, I admire your dedication to preparedness!

I've done similar things on graph paper more times than I would care to admit too. Usually during meetings at work....

Holkin

I know someone placing such blueprints on walls in living room.
He was playing minecraft for several months and it seems he will never continue.
But it is still inspiring to me. (as much as posted image)

My usual building strategy is like on this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu27-8x6yxw
I wonder how someone can implement an idea straight from top to bottom.

Crispy75

My pixel blueprints from various builds:

GAF Central
cDBRWfT.png

Theatre
X6UZw4e.png

Casa Crispy (very much a "live" set of plans cos the design evolved a lot as I built it)
e64Y6o8.png

(could've sworn I made one for the Crisp-O-Sphere but can't find it)

Fuchsdh

Are those all done in MS paint? Does it have a pixel grid to align to (or do you have to zoom in really far to do it like I remember we did back when I was a kid in Win95?)

Are those all done in MS paint? Does it have a pixel grid to align to (or do you have to zoom in really far to do it like I remember we did back when I was a kid in Win95?)

MS Paint does have a pixel grid you can toggle, as that's where I do most of my planning.

-Minsc-

Is the server down?
I tried logging in roughly five hours ago and I couldn't connect.
still can't

Since I can no longer access the control panel I just sent a message to Lord Ark inquiring whether or not he paid the bills. It is possible I just don't have access anymore so we'll have to wait until someone else chimes in.

Ark

Yeah sorry guys. Donation funds dried up about 6 months ago and I've been covering it as a manual payment since, I just totally forgot this time around.

I've renewed it now and everything should be back in working order.

-Minsc-

Yeah sorry guys. Donation funds dried up about 6 months ago and I've been covering it as a manual payment since, I just totally forgot this time around.

I've renewed it now and everything should be back in working order.

All up and running. The peasants never had a chance to get to their pitchforks.

Speaking of donations, here's the donate link for those interested.

There, just threw £10.00 in the bucket. Dat exchange, cost me nearly $20 in Canadian currency.

Ark

The current setup is £56 a month. Considering how low activity seems to be I'd consider lowering the RAM to 1gb again, but that might be too little given the size of our map. The server has run since the start of May 2011 on donations alone (and my own contributions), but six months ago I had to fully cover the costs myself - which is fine, but given my own apathy towards Minecraft now and how low activity has been, hopefully people can see that I don't want to be paying a fair amount of money for something that has been dying for a while now.

This isn't an ultimatum or anything, I love that NeoCraft has survived for so many years and I'm proud to have been a part of it. As I said, not considering shutting her down yet, just that I'll have to downsize if things continue as they are.

It's really difficult to say that without coming across as an ass. As always; don't feel obligated to donate. I'm not asking you to, only do so if you truly want to. I'm just letting you guys know my position now.

The current setup is £56 a month. Considering how low activity seems to be I'd consider lowering the RAM to 1gb again, but that might be too little given the size of our map. The server has run since the start of May 2011 on donations alone (and my own contributions), but six months ago I had to fully cover the costs myself - which is fine, but given my own apathy towards Minecraft now and how low activity has been, hopefully people can see that I don't want to be paying a fair amount of money for something that has been dying for a while now.

This isn't an ultimatum or anything, I love that NeoCraft has survived for so many years and I'm proud to have been a part of it. As I said, not considering shutting her down yet, just that I'll have to downsize if things continue as they are.

It's really difficult to say that without coming across as an ass. As always; don't feel obligated to donate. I'm not asking you to, only do so if you truly want to. I'm just letting you guys know my position now.

Don't worry about that at all. I think everyone understands. I'll definitely make a contribution when I can. I've enjoyed the map for quite a long time, it's the least I can do. Thanks so much for keeping it running for so long. Given how much money it costs per month, I don't think anyone would fault you or blame you for slimming down on the server, or doing whatever you need to do.

-Minsc-

You don't sound like an ass at all in my mind Ark, though I do have a different perspective than a consuming player.

This might be a good opportunity to try out other hosting providers. Multiplay is costly but does seem to be quite hands off. I don't think any of us really want to babysit the server too much. The main reason I liked staying with Multiplay was the easy of creating and downloading world backups. Now that we are on one world the overworld, nether and end are combined into one download file I'm seeing less of a reason to stick with Multiplay.

I could load up NeoCraft on another host and give it a try for a month. One I'm looking at is $20US a month for 2GB ram (Iron plan at MCprohosting). The coal plan runs at $15 for 1.5GB ram, might start there and see how it goes. If it works out I don't mind splitting the cost with a few other people. If anyone else has good hosting recommendations I'll look in to them.

EVIL

looking for a new host for Neocraft might be a good idea. There are quite a few more reasonable priced hosts for minecraft servers

Top Bottom