• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Jacknicholsonnod.gif

https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/598094215638319104

New dungeon of sorts? Hard to precisely parse his sentence, but maybe new blocks and mobs included.

I think he definitely wanted to say "new dungeon, with new blocks and mobs" but probably hit on the Twitter character limit. Makes sense, too. I believe he's mentioned a desire of fixing the dungeon codes in some way. The Ocean Monuments were a huge step in the right direction and I'd like to see them continue to explore those ideas.

New dungeons, combined with previous mention of changes to boss fights, and an update focused on combat has me pretty sure we're going to get a new boss fight this update, too. I'd love for it to be a tradition that every update comes with a new structure and a new type of boss. Especially if they can find a way to generate them in old lands, like they did with the Ocean Monument. They did a lot of good with 1.8 so I hope 1.9 continues the trend.

EVIL

I think he definitely wanted to say "new dungeon, with new blocks and mobs" but probably hit on the Twitter character limit. Makes sense, too. I believe he's mentioned a desire of fixing the dungeon codes in some way. The Ocean Monuments were a huge step in the right direction and I'd like to see them continue to explore those ideas.

New dungeons, combined with previous mention of changes to boss fights, and an update focused on combat has me pretty sure we're going to get a new boss fight this update, too. I'd love for it to be a tradition that every update comes with a new structure and a new type of boss. Especially if they can find a way to generate them in old lands, like they did with the Ocean Monument. They did a lot of good with 1.8 so I hope 1.9 continues the trend.

I would like larger updates more often tho, I mean it feels like it takes forever for one of these updates to come out. saving things like the ability to place stairs upside down for a major update.. wtf.. focus on content, not bugfixes or minor gameplay changes.

just a little frustrated with mojang pretty much letting the community bleed out, having them turn to mods to keep the game interesting and not even officially support mods in the first place. I find it mind boggling, especially with the amount of money that gets pumped trough that company.

I would like larger updates more often tho, I mean it feels like it takes forever for one of these updates to come out. saving things like the ability to place stairs upside down for a major update.. wtf.. focus on content, not bugfixes or minor gameplay changes.

just a little frustrated with mojang pretty much letting the community bleed out, having them turn to mods to keep the game interesting and not even officially support mods in the first place. I find it mind boggling, especially with the amount of money that gets pumped trough that company.

They definitely should update more often. I think it's weird that it still always feels like there's only 3 guys working on the game at a time, at most. They certainly do a lot of stupid stuff. Stair blocks are the perfect example. By now, they should know how this song and dance works. If you put out a new type of stone or wood, people want slabs and stairs. Just do it. It's easy. So while I like the direction that some of these updates are going, I definitely wish they were doing them faster.

Fuchsdh

I haven't gotten involved with PC Minecraft until 1.7, but it seems like the delay between 1.7-1.8 is really the only lengthy one—it was much less than a year for other past point releases.

I guess it also depends how you like your releases—would you rather get smaller updates or larger, more sparse ones?

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft's ownership results in any changes to that cycle. As you say, compared to a AAA game Mojang is tiny, and you could argue they haven’t aggressively expanded enough to support that success. That may not be an ultimate issue with Microsoft backing them, although it’s certainly true money doesn’t solve issues—otherwise we’d all be perfectly satisfied with Minecraft, Mac fans would love Apple, et al.

I haven't gotten involved with PC Minecraft until 1.7, but it seems like the delay between 1.7-1.8 is really the only lengthy one—it was much less than a year for other past point releases.

I guess it also depends how you like your releases—would you rather get smaller updates or larger, more sparse ones?

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft's ownership results in any changes to that cycle. As you say, compared to a AAA game Mojang is tiny, and you could argue they haven’t aggressively expanded enough to support that success. That may not be an ultimate issue with Microsoft backing them, although it’s certainly true money doesn’t solve issues—otherwise we’d all be perfectly satisfied with Minecraft, Mac fans would love Apple, et al.

They've constantly talked about how, if the code were a bit better, and if they could design it to be more "updateable" then updates could come out faster, and mods could plug in to the game easier. So my big hope is that the reason they sometimes seem so slow on content is because they're doing so much work behind the scenes cleaning up Notch's code to make it so content can be added much faster in the future.

But then, the mod community has been whining about the Mod API for 3 years since it was announced and they still have very little to say about it.

Crispy75

They should have had a separate team working in parallel, re-writing the game in a professional manner. Call it Minecraft 2 if you must. Just dump the cruft of the 5 year old Java prototype and take advantage of the billions.

Holkin

They should have had a separate team working in parallel, re-writing the game in a professional manner. Call it Minecraft 2 if you must. Just dump the cruft of the 5 year old Java prototype and take advantage of the billions.

How do you know they don't have?
It's very tough decision to just rewrite 5 years of work. If you have resources to make this sort of game professionally just do another game. The best code is the sold code.
If there were strong demand to enhance something (or add new features) in order to take more money, Microsoft would definitely do.
Wait for DLCs with new textures, mobs and dungeons.

I prefer major updates every 6-8 months. In between it would be nice to have performance tweaks. Modmakers are well enough with using new game mechanics, Mojang should only add new features.

I do believe they're doing something along these lines. They've mentioned before that they have one branch of code where they're doing the usual development and snapshots and stuff, and another where they're just cleaning up and rewriting significant portions of the code. I think Notch himself has said that he doesn't think he's that gifted of a programmer, so I imagine there's a lot of work to do. For example, I think one of the guys just rewrote the projectile code and found out that there was basically four completely separate ways that projectiles were being handled in the game, one for each projectile (eggs, snowballs, flame charges, and arrows). So it is being worked on to some degree.

Fuchsdh

I do believe they're doing something along these lines. They've mentioned before that they have one branch of code where they're doing the usual development and snapshots and stuff, and another where they're just cleaning up and rewriting significant portions of the code. I think Notch himself has said that he doesn't think he's that gifted of a programmer, so I imagine there's a lot of work to do. For example, I think one of the guys just rewrote the projectile code and found out that there was basically four completely separate ways that projectiles were being handled in the game, one for each projectile (eggs, snowballs, flame charges, and arrows). So it is being worked on to some degree.

Indeed. Minecraft (and other small indie projects that blow up to some degree) probably suffer heavily from idiosyncrasies of haphazard development. God knows how many projects of others I've opened and been totally lost in.

-Minsc-

Indeed. Minecraft (and other small indie projects that blow up to some degree) probably suffer heavily from idiosyncrasies of haphazard development. God knows how many projects of others I've opened and been totally lost in.

Something like this?

LikeThis.png

Fuchsdh

Something like this?

LikeThis.png

Haha, well my sorts of projects are animations, so they're fairly linear. More like "Every piece of footage is unorganized in the project, everything has generic names in the hundreds of layers-large timeline, footage is missing and not in clear folders, things are endlessly precomped so I spend three minutes digging into collapsed contents looking for stuff." It presumably made perfect sense for the original designer, but god help me if I could figure out his intentions.

Basically what these guys are complaining about: https://www.justinmcclure.com/gyst

EVIL

True, but still. I mean having experience in game development and seeing the amount of work they have pushed in the past year. I would be surprised if a sizable portion of the team is still working on the game, I doubt people at mojang are working on it full time.

True, but still. I mean having experience in game development and seeing the amount of work they have pushed in the past year. I would be surprised if a sizable portion of the team is still working on the game, I doubt people at mojang are working on it full time.

Yeah, I don't have enough game dev experience to really say for sure, but that's sort of been my feeling as well. They're often tweeting all day about other games and projects they're working on. I don't want to whine too much about what they do with their time, because lord knows I'm not good at working for 8 hours a day, but still it seems like sometimes long periods of time go by without them posting much. That's why I hope that they are working really hard on stuff behind the scenes. But I don't want to complain too much, because in the end, I paid like 20 bucks for this game and I've been playing it for like 4 years now, so I've got my money's worth.

bengraven

I was going through my old pictures and I found this from two years ago. Before they had commercially available Minecraft Legos, my son insisted I make Minecraft out of Legos.

Once I made Minecraft out of Legos, he then insisted I make our Minecraft Lego into Minecraft.

The kid was just starting to like Minecraft, but he's a complete and told fucking addict now and I've sent Mojang like $300 or more in the last year alone in merchandise.

bengraven

Gracias! It's been too long since I played with you guys and now I have a seven year old who's become addicted in that time and wants to check out the huge worlds and structures you guys make.

I always watch him, though, no worries about griefing. And if I'm on and don't talk, it's because the kid just learned to read a few months ago. :p

Fuchsdh

Hello, denizens! I come to you to beg! Not for money (send that to Ark), but for materials!

Nestled a little past Omni's deepwood retreat lies the grand footprint of Schloss Fuchs, the once and future build of greatness.

qmGV6YJ.png

Such majesty requires materials (already got the lebensraum), so anything people can chip in will help greatly. Stone shouldn't be an issue, I've got boatloads, and I'm in the process of deforesting a huge area that will provide me with the dark oak I need, but some of the stuff that would greatly speed things up:

*Red stained clay/ hardened clay
*Granite
*Andesite
*Spruce wood
*Glowstone (for redstone lamps)

If you're willing to be generous there's a set of chests right next to the teleportation/game mode selector at old spawn. Rewards for gifts include living quarters for yourselves and good karma.

(also, special thanks to Rikui for stopping me from having a breakdown over block misalignments.)

Fuchsdh

Hey did artistdude ever finish that puzzle mansion thing of his?

Not to my knowledge, it's somewhere on the red line. I think he finished up the first three or four rooms at least.

Where the heck is that? >_>

Basically due north of the Castle Vyk-Fran metro stop, and east of Rikui's a bit. Will probably be on the cyan line at some point (*cough cough Nihon*) and I started a road to lead down to Rt. 2 East.

Thanks for the quartz, btw, Rikui. Sorry for using my powers to (accidentally) kill you.*

*And it just occurred to me why I was randomly teleporting to my builds; mobs must have been stepping on the pressure plates for the command blocks. Duh. But! I did figure out how I think I'm gonna' do the TARDISes...

Not to my knowledge, it's somewhere on the red line. I think he finished up the first three or four rooms at least.

Basically due north of the Castle Vyk-Fran metro stop, and east of Rikui's a bit. Will probably be on the cyan line at some point (*cough cough Nihon*) and I started a road to lead down to Rt. 2 East.

Thanks for the quartz, btw, Rikui. Sorry for using my powers to (accidentally) kill you.*

*And it just occurred to me why I was randomly teleporting to my builds; mobs must have been stepping on the pressure plates for the command blocks. Duh. But! I did figure out how I think I'm gonna' do the TARDISes...

If you need any help planning out the TARDIS system, let me know. I've done something very much similar in my own builds before.

-Minsc-

Ahh yes, in my pillars I set the command to teleport players within a small radius of the command block.

-SD-

Banned
@Fuchsdh

Put 18 stacks of Granite and 18 stacks of Andesite in the chests for ya.

- - -

By the way, I still want to Dig Big™ again but I'm simply out of ideas of what to build.

Fuchsdh

@Fuchsdh

- - -

By the way, I still want to Dig Big™ again but I'm simply out of ideas of what to build.

Many thanks.

If you've dug a bit pit, obviously the next step is a great spire :)

@Fuchsdh

- - -

Build your own ocean in the middle of the land. Then, use all the dirt and stone to build an island in the middle of the ocean.

Hello!

So I bought this game for PS4 a while back, and though it's nice and relaxing in split-screen, I regret my purchase.

I want to play custom levels, have the PC servers/updates/mods... Looks infinitely better than what I'm limited to.

I'm afraid to make the purchase because I'm trying to control spending habits, but does the PC version go on sale or can it be bought through other means, like GoG or whatever?

EVIL

As far as I know minecraft hasn't gone on sale since release. Always been 27 dollars. You might find it on a third party key store, but even those prices aren't that much cheaper.

kennah

The pc version never goes on sale. There was one time, once, like 5 years ago where they did a two for one valentine's sale.

Edit : and that was when the game was still $14

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
As far as I know minecraft hasn't gone on sale since release. Always been 27 dollars. You might find it on a third party key store, but even those prices aren't that much cheaper.

I think it went on sale one time in the past four years since release? Maybe it was a two for one deal, I can't remember.

In any case, no Minecraft PC does not go on sale. It still sells far too well at the pricepoint it currently is.

And yes, it's worth it.

Depends on what you mean by release. Back when I first started playing it, I think it was half the price that it is now. But then, it was still technically called "Beta." In fact, when I first started playing it, I got it for free.

It cost money normally and I was thinking of getting into it, but then one day the servers they used for authenticating whether you paid for it or not crashed. So Notch just said it would be free that weekend and everyone could play, since he couldn't verify anyway. I played all weekend, fell in love, and when the free weekend was over, I paid for it.

edit: Scratch that, it was in Alpha when I was playing, not Beta. In Alpha, it was half the price it is now, then Beta moved it up to 75% of the current price.

Jumped on for the first time in a long time today. Glad to see that my place is still in the same shape I left it. I am also glad to see that I am still whitelisted to come on the server.

Fuchsdh

Jumped on for the first time in a long time today. Glad to see that my place is still in the same shape I left it. I am also glad to see that I am still whitelisted to come on the server.

Whereabouts is your place? When building the rail system I was constantly surprised stumbling across people's builds, I like to check out stuff I haven't seen :)

Whereabouts is your place? When building the rail system I was constantly surprised stumbling across people's builds, I like to check out stuff I haven't seen :)

Right off the Faye Reagan station down by Charlie's dome that I assume is still being worked on. Its the two big mountains you can see from the station. Right now I have some small stuff and a bridge going between the two. Artistdude set up a place close to my mountains a bit ago.

Right off the Faye Reagan station down by Charlie's dome that I assume is still being worked on. Its the two big mountains you can see from the station. Right now I have some small stuff and a bridge going between the two. Artistdude set up a place close to my mountains a bit ago.

Welcome back!

Fuchsdh

Ah, you're way down south. I haven't actually run Charlie's line south from spawn yet—I should do that soon and check out what y'all have been up to.

(I think Charlie actually finished his dome. Nothing much inside it though.)

Yeah very south. I went that far for two reasons. I knew I could leave the project for a bit and come back to it and there wouldn't be much if anything around it and second was to bug Charlie since he was so happy he was so far out and alone. I have a nether portal I need to connect to the nether roadway at some-point too.

I don't immediately see the need for a quiver. Can someone explain to me how or why that would be helpful? Don't the stacks of arrows you have in your inventory basically serve that purpose?

Top Bottom