• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ark

LSuhXFS.jpg

Does anyone know what this is? I was just exploring things on the server for a few minutes and found that wall by Arkyoto. Seems to be some sort of map boundary because I can't get through it.

WillyFive

The sky-is-falling comments on Reddit are pretty impressive. Seems like Mojang specifically says that it *is* Pocket Edition, rather than based on it, though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/...ing_minecraft_windows_10_edition_beta/csry0j5

I'm sure they're going to kill it off at some point, but considering how hard Microsoft has been pushing all its software to more platforms than ever I'm highly doubtful they're not going to try and keep MC on the most platforms it makes sense. That said, I'm sure they're going to push the social aspects and "best version" stuff for Windows crossplay and the like.

I think Minecraft being on Windows 10 is the same as considering Sonic Dash being on PC. Just the mobile game running on hardware shared with Windows 8 tablets.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So, Minecraft in Windows 10 will be C++ and based on the Pocket Edition.

Positives include being able to play with people on the Pocket Edition.

Negatives include no mod support what-so-ever for the foreseeable future.

Java edition will still be updated, it seems, but I'm not sure Microsoft is going to want to have two separate versions in the long run, so I can see them slowly forcing a migration to the new C++ version.

One other positive is that every current PC version owner will get the Win10 version for free. It really sucks though that it's based on the Pocket Minecraft game and not on the superior PC version, that's a bad call on Microsoft's part IMHO. That 8 player limit for multiplayer is such a huge negative.

Eh, I guess we can still hope for a C++ edition of the PC game someday, seems like such a HUGE wasted potential to not make a modern PC client for the game with built in server and multiplayer support, though I'd be willing to bet they will put all of their effort behind this Win10 and Pocket editions now. Which, sucks honestly. Microsoft will want to gradually and quietly move away from the Java version with all of it's non-MS platform support and make the PE/W10 version the defacto standard Minecraft over time, I'd wager a good deal of money that this is their long term strategy.

Of course, if they get feature parity between all versions AND increase the player limit in the PE/W10 game, while also introducing mod support to it, well we might not really care at that point....

Looks like Guude got to play around with the W10 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vy9BeSYV3Q&feature=youtu.be

Some interesting things to note:

- it does seem fast, especially world gen and distance loading
- boats are in all the wood colors, and they have oars, and can carry one passenger
- some new effects, like sand particles under suspended sand blocks
- potions now have debuff icons on screen to show you what potion effects are on you

I wonder how much of this is in 1.9 for the PC version?

Blizzard

Banned
If modding support gets reduced / removed, isn't that hitting one of the single most popular and key features that made Minecraft what it is today? So weird. As long as the Java client is still available I guess.

-Minsc-

Haven't read too much on this Minecraft 10 vs Minecraft java thing.

The way I see it is we'll always have the java version of Minecraft. It has had a great run and will no doubt ride on momentum for a good few years. Until there's a proper Minecraft sequel or competitor I don't see the mod community letting it die out anytime soon. The game just won't be up to anywhere near it's current level of popularity.

No doubt development time will start favoring bringing the pocket edition up to the java Minecraft is in features since MS will want this version to be the mainline version in the long term. I'm not sure what this will mean for mods though, time will tell. Ideally this means we'll finally get a proper API. If MS plans to retire java MC in the long term they'll definitely want to win over the mod community.

Fuchsdh

One other positive is that every current PC version owner will get the Win10 version for free. It really sucks though that it's based on the Pocket Minecraft game and not on the superior PC version, that's a bad call on Microsoft's part IMHO. That 8 player limit for multiplayer is such a huge negative.

Eh, I guess we can still hope for a C++ edition of the PC game someday, seems like such a HUGE wasted potential to not make a modern PC client for the game with built in server and multiplayer support, though I'd be willing to bet they will put all of their effort behind this Win10 and Pocket editions now. Which, sucks honestly. Microsoft will want to gradually and quietly move away from the Java version with all of it's non-MS platform support and make the PE/W10 version the defacto standard Minecraft over time, I'd wager a good deal of money that this is their long term strategy.

Of course, if they get feature parity between all versions AND increase the player limit in the PE/W10 game, while also introducing mod support to it, well we might not really care at that point....

Looks like Guude got to play around with the W10 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vy9BeSYV3Q&feature=youtu.be

Some interesting things to note:

- it does seem fast, especially world gen and distance loading
- boats are in all the wood colors, and they have oars, and can carry one passenger
- some new effects, like sand particles under suspended sand blocks
- potions now have debuff icons on screen to show you what potion effects are on you

I wonder how much of this is in 1.9 for the PC version?

Better boats? That's enough reason to rejoice :p

woolley

So have they said if islands in the end are going to keep generating or if there is just a set amount? Seems like ender farms won't be a thing going forward with having islands.

-Minsc-

So have they said if islands in the end are going to keep generating or if there is just a set amount? Seems like ender farms won't be a thing going forward with having islands.
Well, if there are infinite islands it'll just require extra work slabbing the place.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't really care for mods right now because of how awkwardly broken the whole method is in the Java version. Requiring new launchers. Games stuck on old versions. Plus the feature creep of many of the popular ones. It's ridiculous. Give me good old vanilla.

But I would kill for them to take this new C++ version, make sure it's up to date with the current Java one, and add in a new Mod API built from the ground up that allows for all the same mods that currently exist to be "ported" in time complete with easy access to install and uninstall them like Cities: Skylines which has basically ruined me for being able to mod a game.

I don't even care if the C++ version never gets mods. I will install it if there's a Mac version of both the client and the server. I want to be able to turn on really far draw distance and not have to play at 15FPS.

The future does look great. So I hope to see this version ported to everything soon. Not just Windows. I want it on iOS and OS X. I want to be able to pick up my phone and play on the server running on my iMac. Then come home and continue on my MacBook. And I want that built-in controller support on OS X.

Well, if there are infinite islands it'll just require extra work slabbing the place.
Unless they fix the bug where mobs can't spawn on slabs.

Then I guess you'll have to fill the area with water I guess.

Unless they make it so Slendermen don't mind water.

Then you're fucked.

-Minsc-

The future does look great. So I hope to see this version ported to everything soon. Not just Windows. I want it on iOS and OS X. I want to be able to pick up my phone and play on the server running on my iMac. Then come home and continue on my MacBook. And I want that built-in controller support on OS X.

While I'll be moving away from OS X before the end of the year I still do wish for OS X and Linux ports of the C++ version.

Ranger X

I sure ain't touching that C++ version until its at least as advanced as the Java version.

I don't understand (yet again, Microsoft priorities) why they don't start their C++ version based on the Java version. Who will want to regress on PC?

Can someone update me on Gafland happenings since I've been gone? I've been hopping on the server a bit lately after about a year or so of absence and I've noticed quite a few differences. No more private chests, /spawn, or commands. No /neocraft. A button that you push to get creative mode on gafland?

What happened?

Mengy

I sure ain't touching that C++ version until its at least as advanced as the Java version.

I don't understand (yet again, Microsoft priorities) why they don't start their C++ version based on the Java version. Who will want to regress on PC?

Eh, since it's free I'll try it out at the end of the month once I have Win 10 installed. I agree that it sucks they used the PE version for a C++/DX11 game, but if they get update parity someday then we'll have some nice potential for sure. Time will tell though.

Can someone update me on Gafland happenings since I've been gone? I've been hopping on the server a bit lately after about a year or so of absence and I've noticed quite a few differences. No more private chests, /spawn, or commands. No /neocraft. A button that you push to get creative mode on gafland?

What happened?

You've been gone awhile, haven't you? Version 1.8 broke bukkit and it never got fixed properly, so Neocraft is now mostly a vanilla Minecraft server with no/few plugins. Since we could no longer have dedicated survival/creative worlds running separately but at the same time we simply decided to let everyone choose how they want to play on one unified server. It's actually worked out pretty well IMHO.

You've been gone awhile, haven't you? Version 1.8 broke bukkit and it never got fixed properly, so Neocraft is now mostly a vanilla Minecraft server with no/few plugins. Since we could no longer have dedicated survival/creative worlds running separately but at the same time we simply decided to let everyone choose how they want to play on one unified server. It's actually worked out pretty well IMHO.

I've been gone for a looong time yes haha. That's pretty disappointing to hear. I died and had to steal 5 iron from someone (sorry) and ride the rails forever to try to find my build site. I won't make that mistake again.

Ark

What happened?

Minecraft updated, and Bukkit didn't. There are probably solid workarounds now, but the server is pretty much dead.

So what do you guys see for the future of neogaf and minecraft? Wait for the Win10 version and go from there? New server? Move Gafland to Win10?

Fuchsdh

I've been gone for a looong time yes haha. That's pretty disappointing to hear. I died and had to steal 5 iron from someone (sorry) and ride the rails forever to try to find my build site. I won't make that mistake again.

Whereabouts is your build?

(And my rail creation, vindicated once again!)

Mengy

So what do you guys see for the future of neogaf and minecraft? Wait for the Win10 version and go from there? New server? Move Gafland to Win10?

Any decision like that is far, FAR away at this point. Until the PE/W10 version gets feature parity with the Java version AND they somehow manage to increase the number of players limit, I wouldn't see us even considering moving to any other platform. The Java version, even with all of it's limitations, is still the best version of Minecraft and most likely will be for a very long time. Years probably.

BUT, that said, I believe the day when we will honestly have this conversation for real is coming now. Not tomorrow, not this year, not by next summer, but it's coming. The Java version's days are numbered IMHO.

-Minsc-

I personally have no plans to move Neocraft over to Win10 any time soon. Once Arks server expires a month from now I plan to move the existing map over to a new host and contract it for one year. Java Neocraft will be around until a minimum of July 2016.

***Expect me to fish for donations next month.***

woolley

1.9 might bring me back in to play but so far it doesn't seem all that interesting for me to want to dump a lot of time into it.

Are there any plans of resetting the end on the server? Could make things more interesting, the only thing there I think is the Ender grinder but I don't know how much it's used and the design would most likely be broken in a new 1.9 world, so we probably won't be able to make a new one.

-Minsc-

1.9 might bring me back in to play but so far it doesn't seem all that interesting for me to want to dump a lot of time into it.

Are there any plans of resetting the end on the server? Could make things more interesting, the only thing there I think is the Ender grinder but I don't know how much it's used and the design would most likely be broken in a new 1.9 world, so we probably won't be able to make a new one.

An End reset is possible. It's something we can discuss more once 1.9 is closer to release.

Fuchsdh

An End reset is possible. It's something we can discuss more once 1.9 is closer to release.

Good. 'Cause I never got to kill the Ender dragon the first time :|

(Although I guess I should also hoof it and start mining end blocks if we're just gonna' reset it too.

Unicorn

I started a server for just me and my GF. I've tried, for the first time, to mess with minecarts. What are some good resources or blueprints or tutorials to help me out? I have a straight track now with some power tracks and a button on one end to start it off. Wanting to make something a bit more automated and self sufficient.

Mengy

With all new new reveals and hints and such about 1.9, have we gotten an ETA?

No ETA yet, but a snapshot for 1.9 will be out in the next few weeks. Going by that I'd guess the full 1.9 official update is still a few months away.

Fuchsdh

I started a server for just me and my GF. I've tried, for the first time, to mess with minecarts. What are some good resources or blueprints or tutorials to help me out? I have a straight track now with some power tracks and a button on one end to start it off. Wanting to make something a bit more automated and self sufficient.

What are you trying to make? Just searching Youtube for the keywords will usually get you somewhere. Built my minecart resource shuffler up from my mine that way (although I didn't get the item sorter to work so gave up on that.)

Unicorn

What are you trying to make? Just searching Youtube for the keywords will usually get you somewhere. Built my minecart resource shuffler up from my mine that way (although I didn't get the item sorter to work so gave up on that.)

Self sustaining circuit that is as easy to use as pressing a button for the GF. I want a circuit that'll run a circle from one base to one in the jungle to my chasm/ravine mining then run back to my first base. If my first base could be as easy as pushing a button that drops a cart and an end that collects the cart and sends it back to be ready for the next run. I still don't understand redstone and switches for changing tracks if I want to go from one station to any of the others instead of the defined circuit. I'm also unclear on how often I should plop power tracks (I've just been doing it willy nilly or at points where I notice the cart slow down too much.) We've turned world mobs off because it was too frustrating to build and have creepers destroy sections. I may turn them on later when things are more built up, but I kind of enjoy only seeing them in caves from legit spawners (I hate the darkness spawn mechanic, really).

Fuchsdh

Self sustaining circuit that is as easy to use as pressing a button for the GF. I want a circuit that'll run a circle from one base to one in the jungle to my chasm/ravine mining then run back to my first base. If my first base could be as easy as pushing a button that drops a cart and an end that collects the cart and sends it back to be ready for the next run. I still don't understand redstone and switches for changing tracks if I want to go from one station to any of the others instead of the defined circuit. I'm also unclear on how often I should plop power tracks (I've just been doing it willy nilly or at points where I notice the cart slow down too much.) We've turned world mobs off because it was too frustrating to build and have creepers destroy sections. I may turn them on later when things are more built up, but I kind of enjoy only seeing them in caves from legit spawners (I hate the darkness spawn mechanic, really).

You can turn mob griefing off, so you still have mobs but you don't have creepers blowing anything up (that's how the Gafland server is set up.)

As for rails, I believe a power rail every 36 blocks is needed to prevent you from losing momentum but I usually go every 30 on the rails since it's a nice easy round number and that factors in acceleration to max speed.

I've got in my base a minecart shuttle based on this simple design— https://youtu.be/UGIa9KXCtks

You can attach an item sorter to that, but basically it constantly ping-pongs between my mine and my storage area, and if I have dropped off materials at my mine, it'll stop to collect them and then run to deposit it automatically (although I think there are limits to how much stuff you can try and load into it.) There are more complicated mechanisms out there too though, just searching for "minecart item transport" will probably bring up a lot.

Just getting back into Minecraft after a long hiatus. Are there any graphics mods/resource packs you guys like? I used to use Optifine, the Faithful 32 texture pack, and Sonic's shaders but the shaders are unfortunately not up to 1.8.7 yet. Is there a good alternative that's up to date?

That aside, I've been having a lot of fun. I feel like I was able to pick up right where I left off. I did have like 100 unfinished projects so it's not like it was hard to find something to do...

Fuchsdh

Just getting back into Minecraft after a long hiatus. Are there any graphics mods/resource packs you guys like? I used to use Optifine, the Faithful 32 texture pack, and Sonic's shaders but the shaders are unfortunately not up to 1.8.7 yet. Is there a good alternative that's up to date?

That aside, I've been having a lot of fun. I feel like I was able to pick up right where I left off. I did have like 100 unfinished projects so it's not like it was hard to find something to do...

I'm using Optifine and Faithful 32 right now. I use Sildur's Shaders, because they're the only ones I know of that work on Macs as well as PCs (and Forge, since it's required for the shaders.)

Ranger X

Eh, since it's free I'll try it out at the end of the month once I have Win 10 installed. I agree that it sucks they used the PE version for a C++/DX11 game, but if they get update parity someday then we'll have some nice potential for sure. Time will tell though.

Of course I will love it when parity is there.

Unicorn

You can turn mob griefing off, so you still have mobs but you don't have creepers blowing anything up (that's how the Gafland server is set up.)

As for rails, I believe a power rail every 36 blocks is needed to prevent you from losing momentum but I usually go every 30 on the rails since it's a nice easy round number and that factors in acceleration to max speed.

I've got in my base a minecart shuttle based on this simple design— https://youtu.be/UGIa9KXCtks

You can attach an item sorter to that, but basically it constantly ping-pongs between my mine and my storage area, and if I have dropped off materials at my mine, it'll stop to collect them and then run to deposit it automatically (although I think there are limits to how much stuff you can try and load into it.) There are more complicated mechanisms out there too though, just searching for "minecart item transport" will probably bring up a lot.
Thanks I'll check this out after work.

Also, what are the current differences between PE and PC edition?

EDIT:

I think this tutorial is the simplest method to achieve what I wanted from my minecart system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_41cdGaFLM

Nihon, I checked out your castle on the server tonight. It's looking really good. So much amazing stuff has been added since I stopped playing Minecraft. Floating around the world was great though now I think I'm lost. I'm somewhere near Ash and Dry's rainbow rail/bridge. I do miss the /spawn and /back commands. There has to be a better service out there now that bukkit has given up.

I was on for quite a while tonight and not a single soul signed on the whole time. Kind of sad. I really enjoyed those days when the server was packed. Hopefully Microsoft can bring some more excitement to the game for our type of crowd that will get us want to be playing more again.

If anyone has a set time they like to play, please reply. I enjoy the social part of the minecraft experience, as well as, Im lost and have no idea how to get back to span.

Logged on the gaf server for the first time in a long time. Everything I saw around spawn was pretty sweet, nice job guys. Also got on one of the rail lines and ended up at western town. Awesome stuff.

Fuchsdh

Nihon, I checked out your castle on the server tonight. It's looking really good. So much amazing stuff has been added since I stopped playing Minecraft. Floating around the world was great though now I think I'm lost. I'm somewhere near Ash and Dry's rainbow rail/bridge. I do miss the /spawn and /back commands. There has to be a better service out there now that bukkit has given up.

I was on for quite a while tonight and not a single soul signed on the whole time. Kind of sad. I really enjoyed those days when the server was packed. Hopefully Microsoft can bring some more excitement to the game for our type of crowd that will get us want to be playing more again.

If anyone has a set time they like to play, please reply. I enjoy the social part of the minecraft experience, as well as, Im lost and have no idea how to get back to span.

I usually pop on for a few hours after work, so 5-8ish EST. During the weekends I'm on more sporadically throughout the day, depending on my schedule.

Yeah, I miss the commands to because I think they make a nice bridge between survival and some of the creative options. Although since I'm a mod now I can just punt people around with the /tp command
and kill them.

And myself.

-Minsc-

Fuch can even ban himself.

There is an API called Sponge in the works which I keep tabs on every few months. Right now it appears to be still in the early development stage so anything I could use might not be all that stable.

r1chard

Been playing around in the Resonant Rise 3 modpack (the yogs "Flux" variant because yes, I'm still watching them ;). Some cool new stuff in there. I've played with Flaxbeard's steam stuff, and only had it blow up once so far. Actually almost took out a minotaur that was attacking me during a blood moon :) It's pretty stylish, and a neat alternative way to get customisable armor. And I know how to stop it from blowing up now too.

I've also just started in on Immersive Engineering which is very cool. It's got an emphasis on things being bigger than a single block (ie. multiblock) unlike other engineering/mechanical mods, or not being tied to the block structure rigidly (just for wiring). The wiring is cool, hanging around the place between poles. And the windmills are neat and I'll be looking into the other multiblocks next. All the info is in the in-game book, including animations and layer viewers showing the construction of the quite-complex multiblocks.

I also played with BuildCraft Additions as an alternative method of ore doubling. It's kinda weird, but fun to work though their little storybook of discovery.

There's a lot of mods that include significant information in-game in well-organised books now. +1

I still built a Tinkers Construct smeltry early on, since I didn't have a better alternative to it for mixing large volumes of alloys (that's my one gripe with Flaxbeard, the crucible is such a pain in the ass to use for anything more than a few ingots.) Also, those hammers and lumber axes. When the giant trees in RR3 need to come down, you want a lumber axe :)

Got some dino DNA from some fossils that I'll play with soon too...

Still to look into Chococraft (finally) and Botanica looks neat.

Fuchsdh

Been playing around in the Resonant Rise 3 modpack (the yogs "Flux" variant because yes, I'm still watching them ;). Some cool new stuff in there. I've played with Flaxbeard's steam stuff, and only had it blow up once so far. Actually almost took out a minotaur that was attacking me during a blood moon :) It's pretty stylish, and a neat alternative way to get customisable armor. And I know how to stop it from blowing up now too.

I've also just started in on Immersive Engineering which is very cool. It's got an emphasis on things being bigger than a single block (ie. multiblock) unlike other engineering/mechanical mods, or not being tied to the block structure rigidly (just for wiring). The wiring is cool, hanging around the place between poles. And the windmills are neat and I'll be looking into the other multiblocks next. All the info is in the in-game book, including animations and layer viewers showing the construction of the quite-complex multiblocks.

I also played with BuildCraft Additions as an alternative method of ore doubling. It's kinda weird, but fun to work though their little storybook of discovery.

There's a lot of mods that include significant information in-game in well-organised books now. +1

I still built a Tinkers Construct smeltry early on, since I didn't have a better alternative to it for mixing large volumes of alloys (that's my one gripe with Flaxbeard, the crucible is such a pain in the ass to use for anything more than a few ingots.) Also, those hammers and lumber axes. When the giant trees in RR3 need to come down, you want a lumber axe :)

Got some dino DNA from some fossils that I'll play with soon too...

Still to look into Chococraft (finally) and Botanica looks neat.

Most of your comments are gibberish to me :p There's a mod with dinos, though? (although of course there should be.)

Bentles

Thought it would be fun to do little updates whenever I do something new on the server. Not because I think anyone is especially interested but it's kind of fun to have people actually see what you're working on. I know I'd be keen to read them if you guys make some.

I added a bridge to my castle. Seeing as there's now a rail station I figured I should make an easy way to get across the river in front of my castle. I usually pearl across or jump on some strategically placed lily pads but something had to be done for important guests and the elderly.

Behold! A kind of boring bridge:

Since the bridge was kind of boring I decided I'd add something of interest at the end. The only thing that came to mind was a portcullis. It's kind of top-heavy because there's redstone hidden up there but it does work. The two types of fences don't connect if you push alternate fences up so you can walk between the bars.

Then, since the portcullis didn't really make sense on its own I decided I had to build a wall (thanks to fuchs for the kind glowstone donation).

I put in a bunch of wall but decided it looked a bit monotonous and that I could probably do with some kind of water access to my castle to break it up.

So now I need to come up with an interesting design for this that at least kind of makes sense for a castle. I'd also like to involve redstone somehow since that's half the fun of this game for me. I could probably do something cool with boat launching an retrieval but I don't know what to do with this entrance. I feel like it's important that my enemies can't just sail right into my docks :p.

Fuchsdh

Thought it would be fun to do little updates whenever I do something new on the server. Not because I think anyone is especially interested but it's kind of fun to have people actually see what you're working on. I know I'd be keen to read them if you guys make some.

I added a bridge to my castle. Seeing as there's now a rail station I figured I should make an easy way to get across the river in front of my castle. I usually pearl across or jump on some strategically placed lily pads but something had to be done for important guests and the elderly.

Behold! A kind of boring bridge:

Since the bridge was kind of boring I decided I'd add something of interest at the end. The only thing that came to mind was a portcullis. It's kind of top-heavy because there's redstone hidden up there but it does work. The two types of fences don't connect if you push alternate fences up so you can walk between the bars.

Then, since the portcullis didn't really make sense on its own I decided I had to build a wall (thanks to fuchs for the kind glowstone donation).

I put in a bunch of wall but decided it looked a bit monotonous and that I could probably do with some kind of water access to my castle to break it up.

So now I need to come up with an interesting design for this that at least kind of makes sense for a castle. I'd also like to involve redstone somehow since that's half the fun of this game for me. I could probably do something cool with boat launching an retrieval but I don't know what to do with this entrance. I feel like it's important that my enemies can't just sail right into my docks :p.

The gate mechanism is super cool. I'm thinking I need to figure out something since mobs are wandering into my build's big open door right now too :)

Top Bottom