• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Red

Minecraft Windows 10 edition is great. Haven't played Minecraft in over a year, glad to get back into it. Wonder what I've missed.

Is it possible to go full screen?

It looks like maps and enchantment tables can't be created in the Windows 10 beta. Weird, since there is an achievement for crafting an enchantment table.

zer0das

Banned
Anyone have any burning desire to have nether paths that go anywhere in particular? Right now I'm just kind of building paths in random directions off my northern hub. I managed to nearly connect my northern hub to what is probably the main hub's northern branch from GAF central using predominantly ground paths.

I also am kind of depressed over how much Quartz I'm going to need. I calculated it out, and I'm probably going to need 5000-6000 quartz to produce enough blocks for the ground floor of my library. For any particular nether trip, I can get maybe 300-400 quartz max? This is going to take a while.

Fuchsdh

Anyone have any burning desire to have nether paths that go anywhere in particular? Right now I'm just kind of building paths in random directions off my northern hub. I managed to nearly connect my northern hub to what is probably the main hub's northern branch from GAF central using predominantly ground paths.

I just limit paths to connecting nether portals, really; if there's no nether portal I just build myself some dirt or cobble paths to grab glowstone or quartz and then demolish the temporary paths, platform, or stairs once I've done with the area (leave no trace...)

I also am kind of depressed over how much Quartz I'm going to need. I calculated it out, and I'm probably going to need 5000-6000 quartz to produce enough blocks for the ground floor of my library. For any particular nether trip, I can get maybe 300-400 quartz max? This is going to take a while.

What's your area you're trying to cover? I think what I've calculated for my library isn't incredibly far off from that once the mirroring is taken into consideration, although I've also been subbing in materials like polished diorite and clay* for visual interest and to reduce resource requirements.

I've been making fairly good progress getting materials on my end, though I've been distracted by finishing up some nether paths I had worked on and forgotten about finishing. Do you have a fortune pick? That'll probably make the biggest impact on saving you time. I might have one lying around
assuming I didn't take it with me on a lava swim at some point

*I haven't even begun to calculate how much clay I'm using in my Schloss build, but it's easily 10,000 blocks for the exterior walls. I'm pretty sure I'm going to mine out an entire mesa's worth of the red stuff and then some.

zer0das

Banned
It's approximately 50x25x1. I don't recall the precise dimensions. Yeah, I have a maxed fortune pick. That didn't burn to fire. I leave my paths or I get lost super easily. Tbh I think clay isn't too bad because the dangers aren't nearly as high and the nether portals help so much with travel time. Getting all the same color is a bit different.

Fuchsdh

It's approximately 50x25x1. I don't recall the precise dimensions. Yeah, I have a maxed fortune pick. That didn't burn to fire. I leave my paths or I get lost super easily. Tbh I think clay isn't too bad because the dangers aren't nearly as high and the nether portals help so much with travel time. Getting all the same color is a bit different.

I'm basically tunneling into the right layer of the mesa for my color and then leaving the shell and clearing out absolutely everything inside it. I'm not one to spoil the natural beauty if I can help it :)

Luckily there's a big mesa island that seems about as large as the mesas near spawn up north. And I can cheat and make myself a teleporter (which reminds me that I still need to decide on a location for the TARDIS teleporter hub I wanna make.)

EDIT:

The fact that glass now will behave better when placed alone is really cool:
DmwnrmE.png

I've got a question about save files. So I used to play this game a fair amount with a friend of mine several years ago; he hosted our servers. Recently I figured it'd be fun to go back and try to kill the enderdragon (we opened up the portal to the end, but never actually got around to killing it), so I asked him to send me our old world file.

But when I loaded up the world, it dumped me at spawn or whatever, and I realized I have no way of figuring out where our home base was from back then. And in fact, even though I'm sure he gave me the correct world, I don't even know if there's been some kind of change to Minecraft since then that would prevent the game from loading that world. (I messed around with eyes of ender and some stronghold locator sites, but I couldn't find the actual stronghold I know we tracked down back when we played, which is part of why I'm questioning this.) So since I haven't kept up with the game at all over the last few years - is there some reason this world wouldn't be the same one I played on years ago? And if it is, what would be a good way to find the old base we used?

Sarcasm

I've got a question about save files. So I used to play this game a fair amount with a friend of mine several years ago; he hosted our servers. Recently I figured it'd be fun to go back and try to kill the enderdragon (we opened up the portal to the end, but never actually got around to killing it), so I asked him to send me our old world file.

But when I loaded up the world, it dumped me at spawn or whatever, and I realized I have no way of figuring out where our home base was from back then. And in fact, even though I'm sure he gave me the correct world, I don't even know if there's been some kind of change to Minecraft since then that would prevent the game from loading that world. (I messed around with eyes of ender and some stronghold locator sites, but I couldn't find the actual stronghold I know we tracked down back when we played, which is part of why I'm questioning this.) So since I haven't kept up with the game at all over the last few years - is there some reason this world wouldn't be the same one I played on years ago? And if it is, what would be a good way to find the old base we used?

You need the player info too.

But you can easily use a map viewer like mcedit to see if you can find it.

Is the player info necessary to make it the same world, or just to get whatever was in my inventory back then? Thanks either way though, I'll try mcedit.

zer0das

Banned
I got knocked 100 blocks down off a path I was building in the nether by a ghast, fell into lava, then managed to find my way back to my paths without dying or using blocks to scale straight up. o_O

woopWOOP

Starting to get that Minecraft itch again. Anyone know of a good mod or modpack for me to check out? (e: For the old Minecraft for PC)
Note that I'm more of a singleplayer/adventure type player so I was wondering if there were any (non-buggy ones) that feature more biomes or new big/dangerous mobs.
If there's really cool industry stuff you can link that too tho :) Thanks in advance!

Sarcasm

Starting to get that Minecraft itch again. Anyone know of a good mod or modpack for me to check out? (e: For the old Minecraft for PC)
Note that I'm more of a singleplayer/adventure type player so I was wondering if there were any (non-buggy ones) that feature more biomes or new big/dangerous mobs.
If there's really cool industry stuff you can link that too tho :) Thanks in advance!

Obscurity on ftb than after life on atl when it comes out.

r1chard

The Project Flux variant of Resonant Rise 3 could be for you. A bunch of cool industry stuff (I found flaxbeard's steam stuff and immersive engineering quite fun to work with, though it still has all the old stalwarts like mekanism, industrial craft, applied energistics, ender io, etc.) and a bunch of stuff to explore and new challenging mobs. Install through atlauncher.

-Minsc-

Heads up everyone.

I'll be taking the server offline tomorrow morning to begin the shift to the new host. Not 100% sure when I'll get it back up, definitely be before the end of the day.

Update 1

Server offline.

Update 2

I am in the process of uploading GAFland to the new host. Since there is a selection of ready made maps available with this host I've gone ahead and loaded one. Feel free to check it out and kill some time.

The new server IP can be found by quoting this message.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Server IP
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Fuchsdh

Well, I would be depressed, except I realized the XB360 version of MC added like 30 new achievements since I last played years ago. So I'll pop on there and do that now...

Mirk

So I haven't played in a while but neocraft can't die sent 20 your way -Minsc-. Can't wait till the kid gets a little older so we can play this.

-Minsc-

Thanks for all your support. :)

The map is still uploading. I'll get everything in final order when I wake up tomorrow morning.

Update

GAFland is up and ready for consumption. Let me know how everything works. If there seem to be performance issues I can increase to 2 GB of ram for an extra $5.00 per month.

Remember, we have a new server IP (if it hasn't all ready, it will need to be updated in the first post). Quote this post and use the IP provided below.

Maintenance Schedule

A heads up everyone. I've set the server to go offline every morning from 5:00 to 5:10 am Eastern to backup and reboot the server in one shot. The ten minute downtime is set to ensure there's no conflict between the scheduled tasks.

-Minsc-

Erm, slight hiccup. Seems what I thought was 5:00am EDT was actually 9:00pm EDT. Server is doing it's backup thing, will be online shortly. :)

Edit: Back online. :)

_BtB_

Heads up everyone.

I'll be taking the server offline tomorrow morning to begin the shift to the new host. Not 100% sure when I'll get it back up, definitely be before the end of the day.

Update 1

Server offline.

Update 2

I am in the process of uploading GAFland to the new host. Since there is a selection of ready made maps available with this host I've gone ahead and loaded one. Feel free to check it out and kill some time.

The new server IP can be found by quoting this message.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Server IP
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Sent $15 donation, could I get whitelisted? Minecraft username is _BtB_
also I like to play minecraft every so often then just stop for a month or so, is there a chance I would get kicked for inactivity?
thanks!

Cmagus

also I like to play minecraft every so often then just stop for a month or so, is there a chance I would get kicked for inactivity?
thanks!

Once you get whitelisted you won't be kicked unless you're someone who comes on and causes problems. It's common for people to come and go for lengthy periods at a time.

-Minsc-

thanks!

Welcome to the server and thanks for the donation. I've added you to the list. You certainly will not be kicked for inactivity. The majority of the NeoCRAFT population is nomadic, coming and going as they please.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Remember, we have a new server IP (if it hasn't all ready, it will need to be updated in the first post).

I've updated the OP and it now has the new server IP, so if anyone needs it they can easily find it there by quoting the 1st post.

Proc

Are noobs welcome on the gaf server? I literally bought the PC version for the first time with all this windows 10 hooplah. I figured buying the original would be the better deal since it comes with the beta too.

Crispy75

Are noobs welcome on the gaf server? I literally bought the PC version for the first time with all this windows 10 hooplah. I figured buying the original would be the better deal since it comes with the beta too.

I highly recommend playing Survival solo for a while. Punch trees, hide in holes, nervously explore the caves, find your first diamonds etc. That experience is unmatched, and is completely missing if you jump straight onto a well-developed server.

-Minsc-

I highly recommend playing Survival solo for a while. Punch trees, hide in holes, nervously explore the caves, find your first diamonds etc. That experience is unmatched, and is completely missing if you jump straight onto a well-developed server.

I second this. While you are most welcome on the server I wouldn't sacrifice the single player experience to rush online.

Heads up everyone.

I'll be taking the server offline tomorrow morning to begin the shift to the new host.

Tis the end of an unforgettable era. Multiplay saw such great things like Dome City and the almighty Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon. We saw Otamin build 7,000 disney castles that never got finished. We saw Dry build the most intricate and complexed build then just for shits and giggles he nuked it. We laughed at blow up crap day and we look fondly out into the bay of Pioneer village to the two ships that transferred our crap from the old world........ for the life of me I can't remember their names but that doesn't mean they are forgotten.

Visited the mulitplay control panel for my last time tonight and grabbed an upto date copy of Neocraft 1.8 for prosperity, probably never use it but I am most likely a hoarder.

Anyway good luck Minsc and everyone with the new server. If I can ever bring myself to venture into minecraft ever again I will pay ye a visit.

-Minsc-

Tis the end of an unforgettable era. Multiplay saw such great things like Dome City and the almighty Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon. We saw Otamin build 7,000 disney castles that never got finished. We saw Dry build the most intricate and complexed build then just for shits and giggles he nuked it. We laughed at blow up crap day and we look fondly out into the bay of Pioneer village to the two ships that transferred our crap from the old world........ for the life of me I can't remember their names but that doesn't mean they are forgotten.

Visited the mulitplay control panel for my last time tonight and grabbed an upto date copy of Neocraft 1.8 for prosperity, probably never use it but I am most likely a hoarder.

Anyway good luck Minsc and everyone with the new server. If I can ever bring myself to venture into minecraft ever again I will pay ye a visit.

I salute you.

_BtB_

Great, glad I won't be kicked for inactivity. And is there a place to settle in at, like certain places are off limits and so forth? wasn't sure where to start my base that was not too close to other peoples places.

And thanks for the welcome

Ensirius

even, though my stay was a long time ago and you probably do not remember me I say I hope I get to play with you again.

Best,

BuscandoaWally

Proc

I second this. While you are most welcome on the server I wouldn't sacrifice the single player experience to rush online.
Good recommendation. I lost about 3 hours tonight obtaining a set of iron armour and tools. I also built up a humble home with an angled roof and porch at the front. I'm still getting used to item placement such as the staircases (upside down / right side up).

What a good game! Quite challenging for me on normal difficulty. I had some suicide creepers take large chunks out of my house during the initial build on a rainy night. It took signicantly less time rebuilding as initially figuring it out. I put up some torches and they don't seem to be as much of a nuisance. Once I'm happy with my first house I'll continue down the mine to find some sweet, sweet diamonds.

I'm not sure why I was so resistant to this game initially but very happy to check it out now. Excited to dig deeper and eventually share a multiplayer survival experience with you guys later on.

-Minsc-

even, though my stay was a long time ago and you probably do not remember me I say I hope I get to play with you again.

Best,

BuscandoaWally

BuscandoaWally, I do remember that name. Though I'm not sure if it was from you playing in game or seeing it on a private chest.

Fuchsdh

Good recommendation. I lost about 3 hours tonight obtaining a set of iron armour and tools. I also built up a humble home with an angled roof and porch at the front. I'm still getting used to item placement such as the staircases (upside down / right side up).

What a good game! Quite challenging for me on normal difficulty. I had some suicide creepers take large chunks out of my house during the initial build on a rainy night. It took signicantly less time rebuilding as initially figuring it out. I put up some torches and they don't seem to be as much of a nuisance. Once I'm happy with my first house I'll continue down the mine to find some sweet, sweet diamonds.

I'm not sure why I was so resistant to this game initially but very happy to check it out now. Excited to dig deeper and eventually share a multiplayer survival experience with you guys later on.

Playing through 360 Edition again to snag the last achievements, I have to say it's weird playing with creeper damage on again. I completely forgot that was a thing :) I'd be hosed because my current building style I don't put down a lot of temporary torches and deal with mobs as they come; I'd be undoing all my work constantly with explosions without mob griefing being off.

-Minsc-

Playing through 360 Edition again to snag the last achievements, I have to say it's weird playing with creeper damage on again. I completely forgot that was a thing :) I'd be hosed because my current building style I don't put down a lot of temporary torches and deal with mobs as they come; I'd be undoing all my work constantly with explosions without mob griefing being off.

Cats.

Breed those cats.

Moreche

I have an issue with with Xbox one version.
The game stutters when I pan left and right but I've read that this doesn't affect everyone, what's the issue with it?
Thanks.

Hey! Is there any sort of up-to-date map of GafLand? I'm thinking of starting a new project and it would be quicker to scout out with a map, if I can find one.

DSmalls84

I haven't played in a few years and just hopped on the xbone version. Is it supposed to be hard to swim now? Seems like tapping the swim button barely gets me out of shallow water. Playing on survival normal.

Edit: nevermind...need to hold the button. Derp.

Crispy75

Hey! Is there any sort of up-to-date map of GafLand? I'm thinking of starting a new project and it would be quicker to scout out with a map, if I can find one.

It's been ages since we had a decent map. Gwan minsc, let's have an MCAmap, overhead 1:1 pixel map. It's been a while :)

zer0das

Banned
That link gives an error for me. :>

Edit: Actually if I use the examine element part of Firefox and save it directly to my computer, it works.

Kind of hard to find things though. The most recognizable part of my build is the barn, followed by the sheer size of my walls. I can also tell where Thailand is too, the nice straight line at the bottom left of the map is my doing. Man, I could look at this for hours if it wasn't so slow to scroll through it. Can see my barn, chicken coop, the granary (looks like a cake with a lot of candles on it from above), the airship, even the 1/4th completed lava moat! I think you can even tell where in the desert I've been digging out sand to turn into glass.

Here's a smaller photo of my stuff (still 5 mb, geeze). : http://i.imgur.com/9ZKaXmf.png

Top Bottom