• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Bentles

+1
Nice and simple.
Will it work with horse?

Thanks. I wish I could say I invented it.

It doesn't work with horses since they have a 2-wide hitbox. I could work on horse access too while I think about what do do with boats. Maybe make a stable or something.

So I just bought this last week, after years of ignorantly believing it was a child's game. I think I just knew it would become an addiction.

I bought a realm, and I have maybe 4-5 friends who will be playing on it with me, but if any gaffers want an invite just let me know. Right now I'm not doing much with it, plus realms are pretty restrictive in terms of mods from what I've seen, so I'm just running a purely vanilla survival map.

I used a couple of links here to start a powered rail in earnest, (just from one base to a mountain mine) but I look forward to a lot of iteration.

Nihon, I checked out your castle on the server tonight. It's looking really good. So much amazing stuff has been added since I stopped playing Minecraft. Floating around the world was great though now I think I'm lost. I'm somewhere near Ash and Dry's rainbow rail/bridge. I do miss the /spawn and /back commands. There has to be a better service out there now that bukkit has given up.

I was on for quite a while tonight and not a single soul signed on the whole time. Kind of sad. I really enjoyed those days when the server was packed. Hopefully Microsoft can bring some more excitement to the game for our type of crowd that will get us want to be playing more again.

If anyone has a set time they like to play, please reply. I enjoy the social part of the minecraft experience, as well as, Im lost and have no idea how to get back to span.

Thanks for the kind words :) I probably will try to work more on Katzegard the next few weeks now that I have a battle plan for it so I will mostly be on evening time after I am done from work.

r1chard

I bought a realm, and I have maybe 4-5 friends who will be playing on it with me, but if any gaffers want an invite just let me know. Right now I'm not doing much with it, plus realms are pretty restrictive in terms of mods from what I've seen, so I'm just running a purely vanilla survival map.
I also have a Realm, but it's for my daughter to play with her friends who can't install mods [because their parents are terrible!!!]

Depending on the mods they can require hefty servers. For some of the bigger mod packs you'd need something with 6-8GB RAM, so easily $60-$80 per month on one of the Minecraft hosting setups (cheaper if you manage the Minecraft install yourself, but who wants that hassle? :)

I also have a Realm, but it's for my daughter to play with her friends who can't install mods [because their parents are terrible!!!]

Depending on the mods they can require hefty servers. For some of the bigger mod packs you'd need something with 6-8GB RAM, so easily $60-$80 per month on one of the Minecraft hosting setups (cheaper if you manage the Minecraft install yourself, but who wants that hassle? :)

Yeah I got it out of laziness and not wanting to screw up someone else's server with my noobishness. :)

I can see how they're really for people who want to do multiplayer but don't want to invest a ton of time modding or setting up a private server or figuring out the best server host. Pretty much works for me.

Fuchsdh

Haha. Before I took my Mac mini to work as a secondary machine I was thinking of setting it up as a Minecraft server. It's a bit more fiddly on OS X but the prices for renting MC servers are atrocious.

So I've delved back into Minecraft after a very long hiatus. The last time I played modded Minecraft was when IndustrialCraft and Buildcraft were released and had tons of fun with them.

Few years later... so much has changed with both these mods + other mods that do similar things that are totally new to me.

I downloaded the FTB Infinity pack and now my question is, what power generation mod should I stick with until Big Reactors (and is Big Reactors the recommended mod for nuclear)? From what I can see is that Buildcraft uses RF now and a few other mods also produce RF such as Thermal Expansion and EnderIO (mods I've never played with) and IndustrialCraft still does its EU thing.

I'm left with choice paralysis and not sure what is the best to focus on (those all I'm aware of that generate power).

What would you recommend for me to focus on until Big Reactors? Really enjoying my time with FTB Infinity and all the different mods, just looking for a general guide.

Vlad

Few years later... so much has changed with both these mods + other mods that do similar things that are totally new to me.

I downloaded the FTB Infinity pack and now my question is, what power generation mod should I stick with until Big Reactors (and is Big Reactors the recommended mod for nuclear)? From what I can see is that Buildcraft uses RF now and a few other mods also produce RF such as Thermal Expansion and EnderIO (mods I've never played with) and IndustrialCraft still does its EU thing.

I'm left with choice paralysis and not sure what is the best to focus on (those all I'm aware of that generate power).

What would you recommend for me to focus on until Big Reactors? Really enjoying my time with FTB Infinity and all the different mods, just looking for a general guide.

Honestly, I've never had a use for Big Reactors. While I haven't played every mod pack out there, none of the ones I've played around with have had any machines that require anywhere near the amount of energy that those reactors put out. Sure, something like IC's mass fabricator use a lot, but it's still nothing that can't be handled by lots of solar generators or something similar.

Personally, I've always been a fan of going lava+solar. I'm playing around with the DireWolf pack at the moment, and so far an Ender-Thermic Pump feeding an array of Magmatic Dynamos along with some of the Extra Utilities solar generators had left me with more than enough power generation for anything that I've needed so far. If anything, I'd probably focus more on larger storage, as my power needs tend to come in spurts. The only thing that's been a bit of a drain so far has been the Flux Compressors I've been using for PneumaticCraft, but the Magmatic Dynamos are so cheap, it's not too bad to just build a few more here and there as needed.

Sarcasm

So I've delved back into Minecraft after a very long hiatus. The last time I played modded Minecraft was when IndustrialCraft and Buildcraft were released and had tons of fun with them.

I recommend the survivalist (not the high temp one), ender and pink generators from extra utilities.

woolley

I usually stay with a bunch of heat generators until I get the big reactor stuff going, I would suggest only messing with the things you absolutely need from EnderIO because at least from my experience with it it was a huge waste of time and resources.

Vlad

I usually stay with a bunch of heat generators until I get the big reactor stuff going, I would suggest only messing with the things you absolutely need from EnderIO because at least from my experience with it it was a huge waste of time and resources.

Well, that's kind of the thing to do with most mods, right? It's not like you're building every single machine from Thermal Expansion or anything. I think most people's bases end up as a sort of potluck of machines from different mods, unless there's a mod that's just way overpowered (like Mekanism).

That said, my recent experimentation with PneumaticCraft did end up with quite a few machines being created, but most of them were actually necessary to work my way up the tech tree. It's nice to have an alternate use for oil, as well.

Sarcasm

EnderIO is awesome lol

The cables can all occupy the same block and you can disguise them later.

The spawner is easy and doesn't require essence.

r1chard

EnderIO is awesome lol

The cables can all occupy the same block and you can disguise them later.
Yep, EnderIO cabling is the best. You do need a lot of ender pearls but most of the mod packs that include EnderIO include a way to get more pearls (ender lilies or ender ore).

Also the EnderIO farm works with Magical Crops (and the Industrial Craft one doesn't any more for whatever reason).

On power generation, I've just hooked up a Railcraft industrial engine to my Flaxbeard steam pipes to provide a significant temporary RF boost over the three Immersive Engineering windmills I have already. Hooking it up wasn't straight-forward - for some reason the engine wouldn't accept steam directly from the Flaxbeard pressure converter, so I needed an intermediary fluid duct :/ The only real disappointment is that there's no awesome multi-block steam engine I can hook into the Flaxbeard piping :(

Big Reactors are definitely the one to go for (unless you're specifically avoiding them because you want to try something else, like I am). Setting up an initial 3x3x3 reactor is really easy, and should power a quarry of reasonable size to mine out the resources to create a larger reactor. There's plenty of info out there on how to build optimal reactors, and then you'll have all the power you ever needed.

For early game resource gathering (before getting the first quarry going) I still always just build a Tinkers smeltery (or find one in a village and requisition it) and go hammering away :)

Most modern mods worth looking at just use RF for everything.

Holkin

I feel pretty ok with Forestry engines.
2000 bucket tank + fermenter + 3x5 arbor multifarm
Demands only initial resources (no diamonds) + apatite as fuel (dig once, burn forever).
Peat engines are also fine to get started.

r1chard

I feel pretty ok with Forestry engines.
2000 bucket tank + fermenter + 3x5 arbor multifarm
Demands only initial resources (no diamonds) + apatite as fuel (dig once, burn forever).
Peat engines are also fine to get started.

Immersive Engineering windmills and waterwheels are attractive and make a reasonable amount of power. There's also the heat-based generator (I forget the name) that you can whack between a block of water and lava (or uranium, even better) which generates a good amount of power, but does feel a little cheaty :) I have one wired up to a BC2 quarry and it generates enough RF to keep the quarry going quite happily (not that I need a quarry these days with the amazing hand drill that IE has!!)

-Minsc-

UNIMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

After picking away here and there over the past few months I've finally finished renovating (AKA: finishing) the Orange Line from GAF Central to the Orange/Brown Line transfer station.

ZgtBXt8l

Aside from skinning the tunnels, I rebuilt/renovated the Sur-Mer station and Orange/Brown Line transfer stations.

Kzyt3vIm

AZJOHiW9

In more important news, I was riding the Brown line when I came across this cool snow station.

uZpM53vq

I believe it was built by EskimoJoe. His Ice Fortress is quite awesome too. There's this very cool ice floor under witch he built a reflection of the room above. It gives off a nice effect. Reminds me of how they did reflections way back in Duke Nukem 3D. I decided against posting a screenshot since I don't want to spoil the first viewing for people. To find it take the Orange Line from GAF Central then transfer to the Brown Line. It should be the first stop on the Brown Line.

Fuchsdh

UNIMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

After picking away here and there over the past few months I've finally finished renovating (AKA: finishing) the Orange Line from GAF Central to the Orange/Brown Line transfer station.

ZgtBXt8l

Aside from skinning the tunnels, I rebuilt/renovated the Sur-Mer station and Orange/Brown Line transfer stations.

Kzyt3vIm

AZJOHiW9

In more important news, I was riding the Brown line when I came across this cool snow station.

uZpM53vq

I believe it was built by EskimoJoe. His Ice Fortress is quite awesome too. There's this very cool ice floor under witch he built a reflection of the room above. It gives off a nice effect. Reminds me of how they did reflections way back in Duke Nukem 3D. I decided against posting a screenshot since I don't want to spoil the first viewing for people. To find it take the Orange Line from GAF Central then transfer to the Brown Line. It should be the first stop on the Brown Line.

Ah yes, Eskimo and his SO have been quite busy. And yeah the fake reflection effect is pretty cool. Was considering doing something similar for my ballroom... having seen it in action it might be worth scavenging the ice I need for the task!

Nemesio

Neo Member
Hey guys!

I am a newbie to Minecraft (console games occupy my time), but I want to check out NeoCraft. Can "janisablock" be whitelisted please?

Bentles

Here's another progress update for lulz.

I added a bunch more wall around my castle. Repetitive tasks in minecraft are somehow quite therapeutic.

H89QnkT.jpg

Only the front wall was done last time I posted.

The central idea for my castle was that I would be able to access and use anything in it without having to leave a minecart. I'd been agonising over how to do this with my storage room but today I did it and it wasn't difficult at all really.

p2faKZa.png

The blue glass is an item elevator

When you ride a cart into the storage room it stops at the first set of chests which is on the left of the room. You can easily move to the next set by looking right and pressing forward. If you continue clockwise you can make rotations around the storage room.

If you want to leave you hit one of the 3 buttons at the set of chests you're currently at. This powers all of the powered rails that are in an anti-clockwise direction of you so you just look left and hold forward and you get boosted out of there.

The redstone was trivial after I realised each button need only power the rails anti-clockwise of it and not all other rails.

cm6FYWi.png

I thought ahead for once and added a 3-high area between the storeys of the castle for redstone stuff like this to live in.

Sadly I could think of no way to do it that didn't require using carpets to hide redstone which I'm not really a fan of.

I even tried BUD-powering pistons but there was no way to update them.

I think I'm gonna try and build one of those falling sand gates for the water entrance I talked about last time. That would look really cool if I could make it rise out of the water. I'll see if I can do that for my next post.

Fuchsdh

Here's another progress update for lulz.

I added a bunch more wall around my castle. Repetitive tasks in minecraft are somehow quite therapeutic.

The central idea for my castle was that I would be able to access and use anything in it without having to leave a minecart. I'd been agonising over how to do this with my storage room but today I did it and it wasn't difficult at all really.

When you ride a cart into the storage room it stops at the first set of chests which is on the left of the room. You can easily move to the next set by looking right and pressing forward. If you continue clockwise you can make rotations around the storage room.

If you want to leave you hit one of the 3 buttons at the set of chests you're currently at. This powers all of the powered rails that are in an anti-clockwise direction of you so you just look left and hold forward and you get boosted out of there.

The redstone was trivial after I realised each button need only power the rails anti-clockwise of it and not all other rails.

Sadly I could think of no way to do it that didn't require using carpets to hide redstone which I'm not really a fan of.

I even tried BUD-powering pistons but there was no way to update them.

I think I'm gonna try and build one of those falling sand gates for the water entrance I talked about last time. That would look really cool if I could make it rise out of the water. I'll see if I can do that for my next post.

Super cool.

...Are the servers borked? Can't log in to NeoCraft or any of the other multi servers I've tried to access.

-Minsc-

It looks like they were attacked.

Here was the notice from Multiplay.

"
[Update]Scheduled Maintenance
Last updated on 7/23/2015 6:41:14 AM by Elliott

We would like to inform you that we will be doing maintenance on all Minecraft, Starbound and Starmade machines. We've completed most of the maintenance already but servers will be restarted shortly.

This maintenance will start at 10:15 BST and end 13:15 BST. Your services won't be affected for this long though.

If you have any issues after this maintenance, contact Multiplay Support and we can help.

Update: Your Minecraft, Starbound and Starmade servers should now be coming back online. This went to plan without issue.

Minecraft Authentication Servers - These servers are currently offline, we do not run these servers. These are run by Mojang/Minecraft themselves. Once they fix this issue you should be able to join once again without issue.

For more information head here - https://help.mojang.com/
"

Everything seems to be A-OK now.

Bentles

Aha! A thing has happened!

4BFhnnR.jpg

A hideous but working prototype of a sand door :'D

I was completely stumped about how to do this until I saw this video which doesn't even have 1000 views.

The idea behind this guy's door is brilliantly simple: Stick a bunch of sand on top of a piston worm which you power for just long enough for it to go up or down each time you press a button.

I wanted a door that closes like the one in the video but opens as fast as the sand can fall and has a built in timer so the door closes behind you after you use it. That turned out to be harder to make possible than I'd expected. I'll explain how it works once I have a cleaner version. Excited to put this thing in my castle wall.

Fuchsdh

Aha! A thing has happened!

I was completely stumped about how to do this until I saw this video which doesn't even have 1000 views.

The idea behind this guy's door is brilliantly simple: Stick a bunch of sand on top of a piston worm which you power for just long enough for it to go up or down each time you press a button.

I wanted a door that closes like the one in the video but opens as fast as the sand can fall and has a built in timer so the door closes behind you after you use it. That turned out to be harder to make possible than I'd expected. I'll explain how it works once I have a cleaner version. Excited to put this thing in my castle wall.

Super cool. The animation for it opening is a nice feature, interested in seeing your version.

I am in the nether, stealing all the quartz that hasn't already been pillaged. I'd really love it if it wasn't a nether block....

zer0das

Banned
You ever assign plots at your new place Fuchs? I kind of want to start to get back into Minecraft after Witcher 3, but I don't feel like working on my keep. I need a smaller project so I don't get sucked back doing something unmanageable. >_>

Fuchsdh

You ever assign plots at your new place Fuchs? I kind of want to start to get back into Minecraft after Witcher 3, but I don't feel like working on my keep. I need a smaller project so I don't get sucked back doing something unmanageable. >_>

Whatcha' mean, plots?

Some shots of the construction, however—she's proceeding nicely, and I've got the ballroom dome up.

Also, while wandering the nether, haunting the accursed flames looking for more quartz to feed a hunger no Christian man can possibly know, I came across a portal to Kentsui's place. It's some super-cool architecture.

zer0das

Banned
Thought you offered some land to build if you donated supplies? Or am I mixing places up? I guess I could work on cobbling paths in the nether to make quarrying quartz easier. Not sure its the best idea to risk my gear after not playing much for ages by ehhhh why not. I was most productive expanding the hub when drunk after all. >_>

Fuchsdh

Well there's at least an entire floor I don't have any idea what to do with in my build...

Also you don't really need to worry about quartz, it's actually been fairly plentiful and thanks to my fortune pick I've been doing quite well for myself without having to go to the complete hinterlands of the nether.

I've also been sprucing up some of the paths I'd left alone for a while off the the east. At some point I'll finish off the path to Pioneer Town as well.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Alright. I installed Minecraft. Is the NeoGaf server the place to figure out what this game is all about?

I was reading a bunch of comments mentioning materials, items, switches, etc and it's all a bit overwhelming. Would I be a detriment on the server?

Fuchsdh

Alright. I installed Minecraft. Is the NeoGaf server the place to figure out what this game is all about?

I was reading a bunch of comments mentioning materials, items, switches, etc and it's all a bit overwhelming. Would I be a detriment on the server?

Really as long as you don't mess up someone else's build, you can do whatever you want.

If you're just getting your bearings, though, you might want to start solo with a single player Survival server and figure things out on your own. I found that really rewarding before I started playing on multiplayer servers.

If you have any questions, you can ask here, and the MineCraft wiki is an excellent resource as well.

zer0das

Banned
I think the most overwhelming thing about hopping straight onto GAFland is that spawn is tremendously built up, so it can be a bit difficult to get resources/navigate if you don't know much about the game. But once you get past that and get a bed to spawn where you want, it wouldn't be too different from a single player survival server. Just a lot more sights to see.

Crispy75

Yeah, I'd go for solo survival as your first minecraft experience. There's nothing like it.

If you dive straight into GafLand, there's iron and diamond tools just lying around and everything's safe at spawn.

You gotta punch some trees and hide in a hole at night, or you're not doing it right :)

-Minsc-

SERVER NEWS

Time sure flies folks. We are nearing the end of the last extension Ark put on the Multiplay server. This means it expires in the first week of August. Since Ark wants to let go of the financial responsibility I'll be taking it over.

As mentioned back in May my plan is to move NeoCRAFT to a new host with rates which hopefully give us more bang for our buck.

For the server I'll be using the Coal plan at MCprohosting with additional storage for backups. The plan comes to $15 USD/month and the storage for $4 USD/month giving us a grand cost of $19 USD/month. I am considering getting a one year subscription down the road which will give us a 15% discount. Before that though I want to get a feel for NeoCraft on this new host and see how well it performs.

Since I'm now officially taking over the server operations I've gone ahead and created a new PayPal account for NeoCraft. The new link to the account can be found here. I'll have to get Mengy to update the first post with the new link. If we can scrape together $200 in donations that will be more than enough to keep NeoCraft running for another year without worry (assuming I don't need to upgrade to a more expensive plan).

My target date for the server switch is this Sunday. I'll give more details as my brain settles into administrator mode.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'll have to get Mengy to update the first post with the new link. If we can scrape together $200 in donations that will be more than enough to keep NeoCraft running for another year without worry (assuming I don't need to upgrade to a more expensive plan).

No problem Minsc, the OP has been updated to point the donation button to that paypal account now!

Fuchsdh

With the limited test you did with the demo world I think we popped into with Evil, it certainly seemed to run better (but that might just be US-East prejudice.)

SERVER NEWS

My target date for the server switch is this Sunday. I'll give more details as my brain settles into administrator mode.

Just sent some money. I guess I should also ask to get whitelisted.

IGN is XRayRegime. New to MC, only played on a singleplayer server and a realm for a bit, but I'm hooked. Looking forward to seeing everything you guys have built up.

-Minsc-

With the limited test you did with the demo world I think we popped into with Evil, it certainly seemed to run better (but that might just be US-East prejudice.)

It also helped it was a small map. I may need your assistance downloading and uploading the map fuch.

Just sent some money. I guess I should also ask to get whitelisted.

IGN is XRayRegime. New to MC, only played on a singleplayer server and a realm for a bit, but I'm hooked. Looking forward to seeing everything you guys have built up.

Thanks for the donation and welcome to the server! I've added you to the list.

Fuchsdh

It also helped it was a small map. I may need your assistance downloading and uploading the map fuch.

Thanks for the donation and welcome to the server! I've added you to the list.

Ok, lemme know what you need and when. I realize I completely forgot how to access the whitelist, but I think I still have the credentials for that hosting thing you're checking out now still...

-Minsc-

Ok, lemme know what you need and when. I realize I completely forgot how to access the whitelist, but I think I still have the credentials for that hosting thing you're checking out now still...

In the Multiplay console: whitelist add user_name

You should still have access to the MCPro control panel. Not much you can do there now though since I don't have an active service.

masud

Banned
I'll give some cash a little later when I get home, even though I haven't logged on in over a month. I'm kinda burned out but I'll be back im sure.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'll give some cash a little later when I get home, even though I haven't logged on in over a month. I'm kinda burned out but I'll be back im sure.

I've actually been jonesing to play some Minecraft for awhile now, but summer time leaves me with very little game time, and I've been spending most of my little game time on simulators lately. By the fall I should get more chances to play games.

Top Bottom