• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

-Minsc-

NeoGaf is down?

I have the server set to go offline every morning (6:00-6:10am ADT) every morning to perform some automatic maintenance. The time of your posting corresponds with the maintenance time.

In other news, I believe a certain someone on the server just got pranked.

zer0das

Banned
I didn't actually win the horse track race, I was making a joke because the finish line's start line was up and it looked like EskimoJoe and Rikui didn't cross over it, so I jumped my pig over it and declared myself winner. :p

Man, I decided to check out the PS4 version again and I see they have horses now?

Still, it's so stripped compared to PC. I want to upgrade so bad but worry that I'll down another $20 and not have time for it.

But the online, adventure mode, etc. all look really awesome. Any chance they'll do price cuts or sales?

Fuchsdh

Man, I decided to check out the PS4 version again and I see they have horses now?

Still, it's so stripped compared to PC. I want to upgrade so bad but worry that I'll down another $20 and not have time for it.

But the online, adventure mode, etc. all look really awesome. Any chance they'll do price cuts or sales?

Probably not any time soon, considering how the game continues to sell incredibly well... I don't think I've ever seen a sale on the PC or Xbox versions.

So, I was thinking. 1.9 is coming out sooner or later. I know it might be a bit before GAFLand upgrades to 1.9, but would the announcement and release of 1.9 be something that was worth posting a thread about in the Gaming Side? New thread for new news and all that. Might be a good opportunity to also advertise the server a bit. Some people who might have gotten out of Minecraft might want to play again come the new update, and reminding them of the server might drive some traffic our way.

-Minsc-

So, I was thinking. 1.9 is coming out sooner or later. I know it might be a bit before GAFLand upgrades to 1.9, but would the announcement and release of 1.9 be something that was worth posting a thread about in the Gaming Side? New thread for new news and all that. Might be a good opportunity to also advertise the server a bit. Some people who might have gotten out of Minecraft might want to play again come the new update, and reminding them of the server might drive some traffic our way.

Sounds like a good idea. Personally I'd wait until 1.9 is released or close to. As for GAFland going 1.9, there's no need to wait too long when the time comes since were on vanilla.

Sounds like a good idea. Personally I'd wait until 1.9 is released or close to. As for GAFland going 1.9, there's no need to wait too long when the time comes since were on vanilla.

Glad to hear there won't be a wait. But yeah, I definitely agree to wait until 1.9 drops. I don't know how to make fancy OTs, but if anyone is up to the task, throwing in a section with some GAFland plugs would be awesome.

zer0das

Banned
Well, I cleared a water temple of all 3 of its elder guardians and started looting it. Killed ~100 guardians. That's for killing me when I was charting the southern lands! I feel like this is a seminal moment in my Minecraft career- I've always failed when I tried in the past.

Also, does anyone know if villagers despawn when they shouldn't? I had 3 villagers locked away in a house so monsters wouldn't get them, and yet they disappeared in the last day or two. Is there a way to respawn them in creative mode? Because I feel like the game cheated me. :/

Was thinking about finally trying to get into minecraft on ps4. So anybody have any tips or info i figure this is the best place to ask. How's the online on ps4 is it healthy etc

Fuchsdh

Well, I cleared a water temple of all 3 of its elder guardians and started looting it. Killed ~100 guardians. That's for killing me when I was charting the southern lands! I feel like this is a seminal moment in my Minecraft career- I've always failed when I tried in the past.

Also, does anyone know if villagers despawn when they shouldn't? I had 3 villagers locked away in a house so monsters wouldn't get them, and yet they disappeared in the last day or two. Is there a way to respawn them in creative mode? Because I feel like the game cheated me. :/
You can spawn them inch creative yeah, and yes I've had villagers disappear on me on occasion, dunno why (or even better the zombie villagers I've trapped disappear when I forget the materials to cure them.)

Was thinking about finally trying to get into minecraft on ps4. So anybody have any tips or info i figure this is the best place to ask. How's the online on ps4 is it healthy etc

Not trying to be unhelpful or shoo you away, but I think there is a thread on the console versions that might be more helpful for you. This thread is primarily about the PC version.

Hey guys!

So, there's an idea I've been kicking around in my head for the server for a long time now, but I've never moved on it. I always wanted to build some mega big, modern-looking city. Full of sky scrapers and bridges and all that. Well, thanks to a lot of help from Fuchsdh, it's finally getting underway. I always envisioned it as a bit of a community project, so I think we've got enough laid down that it's about time to open the place up!

The basic idea is that we've been spending time flattening lands, laying down roads, and marking off building plots. So whoever wants to be a part of this can take a trip up north, claim a plot, and start building!

9XGvEi5.png

Maps showing the current work done in the city

As you can see, we've covered a good bit of land so far, but this is just the beginning! We don't want this to be some puny little city. We want a veritable Megalopolis! More work will be done laying down roads and expanding to neighboring lands, but we wanted to open this up before that was done, that way there's more feedback as to where the city will progress from here.

The general idea (although, we've not married to any idea in particular) is that the city will have different zones for different types of builds. Things like an historical section, an industrial zone, mid-rise apartment buildings, high rise financial skyscrapers, etc. There's also plenty of room for things like subways, parks, harbors, theaters, stadiums, and whatever else you might hope to find in a city. Right now, the only zone we've really got ready to build in is the area we were thinking would be the best place to put huge skyscrapers. Giant bank buildings and things of that nature. Always wanted to have your own corporate headquarters? Well now you can!

7DLs54Z.jpg

Sample image of a standard, empty plot

Each plot will look something like this. The yellow clay was just used for counting, it's the red clay that matters. Each red clay square marks out one plot. Although size and color and other details might vary from section to section, generally, this is what you'll be looking at. It's a 40x40 space for you to build in. One thing to note is that these 40x40 plots are flush to each other, so if you want space between your neighbors, you may want to work a buffer into your 40x40 plan.

Pmt8oMB.png

Streets make for boring pictures without buildings on them!

There's not a lot to show off now. As I said, this is a work in progress. But we're hoping this could turn into something pretty awesome, so whenever you get sick of whatever build you're currently stuck on, come on to the Greatest Un-Named City in GafLand and add something.

w1HBU1E.png

Just head this way!

Directions are pretty easy, if you're heading from Spawn. Just pop into the Nether, follow the Orange path until you hit a wall, then turn right. It's pretty straightforward from there. It's recommended you come in Creative mode, not Survival. The place isn't too well lit, so monsters abound! But if you're brave, feel free to build your skyscraper however you want.

iUThQg4.png

Men at Work

So don't delay! Construction has already begun! Come stake a claim and get to work!

Hey guys!

So, there's an idea I've been kicking around in my head for the server for a long time now, but I've never moved on it. I always wanted to build some mega big, modern-looking city. Full of sky scrapers and bridges and all that. Well, thanks to a lot of help from Fuchsdh, it's finally getting underway. I always envisioned it as a bit of a community project, so I think we've got enough laid down that it's about time to open the place up!

The basic idea is that we've been spending time flattening lands, laying down roads, and marking off building plots. So whoever wants to be a part of this can take a trip up north, claim a plot, and start building!

As you can see, we've covered a good bit of land so far, but this is just the beginning! We don't want this to be some puny little city. We want a veritable Megalopolis! More work will be done laying down roads and expanding to neighboring lands, but we wanted to open this up before that was done, that way there's more feedback as to where the city will progress from here.

The general idea (although, we've not married to any idea in particular) is that the city will have different zones for different types of builds. Things like an historical section, an industrial zone, mid-rise apartment buildings, high rise financial skyscrapers, etc. There's also plenty of room for things like subways, parks, harbors, theaters, stadiums, and whatever else you might hope to find in a city. Right now, the only zone we've really got ready to build in is the area we were thinking would be the best place to put huge skyscrapers. Giant bank buildings and things of that nature. Always wanted to have your own corporate headquarters? Well now you can!

Each plot will look something like this. The yellow clay was just used for counting, it's the red clay that matters. Each red clay square marks out one plot. Although size and color and other details might vary from section to section, generally, this is what you'll be looking at. It's a 40x40 space for you to build in. One thing to note is that these 40x40 plots are flush to each other, so if you want space between your neighbors, you may want to work a buffer into your 40x40 plan.

There's not a lot to show off now. As I said, this is a work in progress. But we're hoping this could turn into something pretty awesome, so whenever you get sick of whatever build you're currently stuck on, come on to the Greatest Un-Named City in GafLand and add something.

Directions are pretty easy, if you're heading from Spawn. Just pop into the Nether, follow the Orange path until you hit a wall, then turn right. It's pretty straightforward from there. It's recommended you come in Creative mode, not Survival. The place isn't too well lit, so monsters abound! But if you're brave, feel free to build your skyscraper however you want.

So don't delay! Construction has already begun! Come stake a claim and get to work!
Can you save me a plot?

I have been wanting to get back in for a bit but haven't had the motivation. I'm not the best builder so I request a plot that can be hidden by everyone else's work. Maybe our city needs a city dump? I can certainly try and set some tires on fire. :)

zer0das

Banned
Oo, I can build a HQ to Koopa Keep Mining Company. Bowser's Iron Bank too maybe.. though I was more set on keeping that localish. I guess its a good excuse to switch to creative.

Can you save me a plot?

I have been wanting to get back in for a bit but haven't had the motivation. I'm not the best builder so I request a plot that can be hidden by everyone else's work. Maybe our city needs a city dump? I can certainly try and set some tires on fire. :)

I went ahead and claimed you a spot. Personally, I don't think there are really any bad locations yet, but I'm biased. I just picked one at random, and put a sign there for you. Don't worry about whether or not you think you're a good builder. It's the variety of building styles that will make this fun, I think.

However, on another note, a city dump would actually be totally cool. However, there's no restriction saying that you can only build one thing. Right now, it's mostly the skyscraper section, but if we keep expanding and a good place for a dump opens up, that would actually be a really fun build to have.

As for everyone else, glad to see some places already being claimed. :)

Fuchsdh

I give you an entire wheat field and you demonize me, thanks a lot mate.
:D
Operation: "Lawnmower" was a success I'd say
https://youtu.be/3nYkpXbS6d8

That is from zero afaik.

I'll come and take a look later today, never built in a modern style.

I lol'd at you hiding the chests under the nether portal :)

The architecture doesn't even have to be that modern, I'm ripping off the Chrysler building for mine.

I lol'd at you hiding the chests under the nether portal :)

The architecture doesn't even have to be that modern, I'm ripping off the Chrysler building for mine.

Yeah, I'll probably do something similar. I just rip off other designs in almost all my builds. Hell, even my ice palace is just the Sears Tower, but with hexagons instead of squares. My strategy for most of my builds is to find a good reference picture and build off of that.

Well, thanks to Fuchs and EskimoJoe I got to try my hand at some creative mode today:

I based the build on the Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia

I don't know how much I'll build on it, but I'll at least have a pretty sweet penthouse to view everyone else's work!

Amir0x

Banned
Maaaan I forgot the uphill climb of getting redstone contraptions working right when they're sufficiently complicated enough. Been ages since I've played Minecraft. I finally got this hidden door working after like 7 hours lol

Holkin

Well, thanks to Fuchs and EskimoJoe I got to try my hand at some creative mode today:

I based the build on the Kingdom Tower in Saudi Arabia

I don't know how much I'll build on it, but I'll at least have a pretty sweet penthouse to view everyone else's work!

I'd build that top part by the angle to essential minecraft lines. It looks very tempting to build as straight as you can, but I think it would be better to make some angle for consistency with another building.

Hey guys. Long time no see!

Wanted to drop in to say I just don't I have it in me to play Minecraft anymore.

Sooooo... That means my precious Puzzle Mansion will remain incomplete. If someone redstone capable wants to take over, let me know and I can PM you the last 3 (4) puzzles I had in mind to put in there.

Was really looking forward to one of Nihon's videos attempting the place, haha!

fester

Banned
I realize most of you are Minecraft vets, but I only recently started playing with my kids and it's been a blast. Last weekend we found our first stronghold. Burned through about 7-8 eyes before finally finding the right spot. Started digging down and discovered this:

T0WsgcKm.png

That opened up into the full stronghold with many passages to explore. Then we stumbled into an awesome library which I wasn't expecting (does every stronghold have these?)

4qLwmQAm.png

Finally we found what we really came there for:

kKoigKJm.png

Nice of them to leave two eyes for us already. :)

This weekend we will probably be preparing everything we need to tackle the End.

Top Bottom