• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

I realize most of you are Minecraft vets, but I only recently started playing with my kids and it's been a blast. Last weekend we found our first stronghold. Burned through about 7-8 eyes before finally finding the right spot. Started digging down and discovered this:

T0WsgcKm.png

That opened up into the full stronghold with many passages to explore. Then we stumbled into an awesome library which I wasn't expecting (does every stronghold have these?)

4qLwmQAm.png

Finally we found what we really came there for:

kKoigKJm.png

Nice of them to leave two eyes for us already. :)

This weekend we will probably be preparing everything we need to tackle the End.

Oh, man, that's awesome. People give Minecraft grief for not focusing on enough adventures, but that first time you hunt down a Stronghold to visit the end is pretty damn awesome. Good luck!

zer0das

Banned
Dang, I hit the height limit of 256 on my skyscraper this morning. Going to have to rethink of how to do the top exactly. Didn't think I'd get a message saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" after x blocks. >_>

Dang, I hit the height limit of 256 on my skyscraper this morning. Going to have to rethink of how to do the top exactly. Didn't think I'd get a message saying "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" after x blocks. >_>

Hahaha, I was watching it grow thinking "How the hell is he gonna do the top before he hits the ceiling?" lol

Holkin

Have you not raided The End yet?
I thought you already have ender pearls farm.
I hoped to find one stronghold, but still don't have enough ender pearls.

Fuchsdh

Have you not raided The End yet?
I thought you already have ender pearls farm.
I hoped to find one stronghold, but still don't have enough ender pearls.
We've got a couple of strongholds. You can get to one via the Cyan metro line. Dunno about an ender man farm though.

Speaking of The End, the new update seems to be bringing a change to the way that The End generates. Does anyone know what we can expect on our server? Or do you think the changes won't happen?

hey

HEY

Is there a way for me to have terrain flattening powers? Does that even exist anymore? I want to expand the gardens but trying to level all these hills and trees with just creative is killing me.

Fuchsdh

You shoulda' seen the mountains we leveled to make the city terrain flat (jeez we really do need an actual name for it) so you have none of my sympathy :)

You shoulda' seen the mountains we leveled to make the city terrain flat (jeez we really do need an actual name for it) so you have none of my sympathy :)

Yeah, I was just thinking about that. Anyone feel free to throw out suggestions. We could vote on it. I'm trying to think of something with an -opolis, but we'll see.

Holkin

I personally like this name because of when you try to get random word on keyboard quickly you'll get something like that with not many different letters, repeating patterns and extreme difficulty to read it first time. This one looks perfectly like random char sequence, but is still meaningful.

I play minecraft since beta 1.7.3 and learned about TNT usage few months ago. Of course we all did try it, but when it comes to clearing space it appears to be not so simple. TNT is not buckit plugin allowing you to clear space in one command, but definitely good tool against mountains. Then you just fill holes with sand and cover with your favorite block.

When is the next big update for PS4? What will the PC equivalent be?

Will consoles ever have server lists and be able to download adventure maps? I love playing this with my sis, but have such burning regret to not be playing on PC, for the full experience.

Fuchsdh

Will consoles ever have server lists and be able to download adventure maps? I love playing this with my sis, but have such burning regret to not be playing on PC, for the full experience.

It's possible, but probably not. The PC is certainly the only way to get the full experience.

As for when it'll get the next big update, I dunno. Looks like it's getting pieces of 1.7 and 1.8 right now, but the update schedule is heavily sporadic.

It's possible, but probably not. The PC is certainly the only way to get the full experience.

As for when it'll get the next big update, I dunno. Looks like it's getting pieces of 1.7 and 1.8 right now, but the update schedule is heavily sporadic.

Thanks. I dont know much, but I wonder why they are so slow with the updates. They seem like a big and wealthy team, and even the PC version looks like it could add a lot of improvements. I saw this awesome idea in the suggestion forum for massive cave biomes when digging to a certain level, which looked awesome. I would love massive caves that are hundreds of blocks deep.

It seems they can do so much with the game, I imagine it's crazy to think a "Minecraft 2" would ever happen.

I am enjoying it a lot, but always wanting more, and I'm so curious where this game will be a year from now. I hope it receives a lot of support.

I'm also so incredibly back and forth on wanting to buy the PC version. Split-screen is why Im playing so much, but online MP with strangers also seems very promising, and mods/adventure maps seem infinitely more fun

Fuchsdh

Thanks. I dont know much, but I wonder why they are so slow with the updates. They seem like a big and wealthy team, and even the PC version looks like it could add a lot of improvements. I saw this awesome idea in the suggestion forum for massive cave biomes when digging to a certain level, which looked awesome. I would love massive caves that are hundreds of blocks deep.

It seems they can do so much with the game, I imagine it's crazy to think a "Minecraft 2" would ever happen.

I am enjoying it a lot, but always wanting more, and I'm so curious where this game will be a year from now. I hope it receives a lot of support.

Well the console versions are still getting a level of support that's practically unheard of for most console titles, so there's that :)

The question of what and when we'll get Minecraft 2 is very much up in the air. And yes, there are certainly people who are dissatisfied with the 1 big update/year tempo that the PC version has had at this point.

Well the console versions are still getting a level of support that's practically unheard of for most console titles, so there's that :)

The question of what and when we'll get Minecraft 2 is very much up in the air. And yes, there are certainly people who are dissatisfied with the 1 big update/year tempo that the PC version has had at this point.

OK so for an update, I've downed about 5 hours a day for the last 4 or 5 days. I'm so addicted, despite being limited to PS4. Since Im playing splitscreen, we have built a house, expanded it by making a basement (surrounded by glass, torches, and a potion table, then rebuilt it using brick. We built this house behind a shallow lake, which we added a path towards an island, made a farm house for all animals, built (and abandoned) the building of a treehouse, built a portal using obsidian...

Then my friend joined, and he built his own place too! I so wish I could play on PC with a lot of people living in one world. It's so insanely fun.

I now discovered a huge cave that has spiders and railways!! So I'm finding diamonds and gold and feel like I hit the motherload after mining for hours trying to find a good place for resources.

I havent yet discovered a stronghold. It's crazy that there are only like 12, and the world is so huge. I am trying to go into that netherworld place but keep dying. I'm curious what's there.

Anyways, then I built a stone tower (winding stairs to a ladder, which goes to the top) where I set up a enchantment table.

Now I want to make another tower, built the house into a castle, since brick doesnt look so good.

Sometimes I ask myself asking "Why am I doing this?", but it's just so fun and easy going. I continue regretting not playing on PC, but I worry that I wont have friends to play with. The splitscreen on PS4 is a huge motivator for me, but I want a server and want to play with mods, adventure mode, all those cool updates, etc.

Are mods crazy extensive? I want a cave biome, where the depth of caves is spectacularly deep and open. Caves right now have a tendency to feel shallow IMO.

I want to actually go down so deep that I have to live in a cave in fear that I may not make it out. I bet the PC has so much.

Anyways, it's too bad i got on this so late. Seems like this community is very dead, so Im just casually looking at the minecraft forum.

Are there any good youtubers to follow? I like to watch Minecraft.

Ranger X

OK so for an update, I've downed about 5 hours a day for the last 4 or 5 days. I'm so addicted, despite being limited to PS4. Since Im playing splitscreen, we have built a house, expanded it by making a basement (surrounded by glass, torches, and a potion table, then rebuilt it using brick. We built this house behind a shallow lake, which we added a path towards an island, made a farm house for all animals, built (and abandoned) the building of a treehouse, built a portal using obsidian...

Then my friend joined, and he built his own place too! I so wish I could play on PC with a lot of people living in one world. It's so insanely fun.

I now discovered a huge cave that has spiders and railways!! So I'm finding diamonds and gold and feel like I hit the motherload after mining for hours trying to find a good place for resources.

I havent yet discovered a stronghold. It's crazy that there are only like 12, and the world is so huge. I am trying to go into that netherworld place but keep dying. I'm curious what's there.

Anyways, then I built a stone tower (winding stairs to a ladder, which goes to the top) where I set up a enchantment table.

Now I want to make another tower, built the house into a castle, since brick doesnt look so good.

Sometimes I ask myself asking "Why am I doing this?", but it's just so fun and easy going. I continue regretting not playing on PC, but I worry that I wont have friends to play with. The splitscreen on PS4 is a huge motivator for me, but I want a server and want to play with mods, adventure mode, all those cool updates, etc.

Are mods crazy extensive? I want a cave biome, where the depth of caves is spectacularly deep and open. Caves right now have a tendency to feel shallow IMO.

I want to actually go down so deep that I have to live in a cave in fear that I may not make it out. I bet the PC has so much.

Anyways, it's too bad i got on this so late. Seems like this community is very dead, so Im just casually looking at the minecraft forum.

Maybe its because you didn't hit big caves. I did explore some for weeks!

Fuchsdh

Our very own Nihontiger has a series on our NeoCraft server, but also does UHC (PvP) and modded server series: https://www.youtube.com/user/nihontiger

Mostly the Minecraft videos I watch are tutorials for more complicated mechanisms and redstone contraptions, such as MumboJumbo: https://www.youtube.com/user/ThatMumboJumbo?&ab_channel=MumboJumbo

^ The cave Im in now seems very expansive. However, I meant reaching DEEP into caves. I feel I hit bedrock pretty quickly, and would love insane biomes that have huge lave waterfalls and open falls that go down super deep.

Also, Im looking at the suggestions thread in the MC forum and there are so many good ideas! How versatile are mods to make some of these suggestions a reality?

And I still havent touched redstones and all that other mechanical stuff. It should be fun learning to use switches

Oh btw, the other day I found a jungle temple but didnt know that the levers were a puzzle!

I ended up mining it to find the hidden chest but couldnt find it anywhere! Did I miss something?? I figured digging for it would reveal the chest.

The mod scene in Minecraft is pretty extensive. There are some problems when it comes to being fragmented over different version of the game (A lot of mods are still not compatible with the latest version, 1.8, and 1.9 will probably be out within a few months) but there are still a crazy amount of mods. Whatever your favorite aspect of Minecraft, building, exploring, fighting, whatever, there are likely scores of mods that revamp it entirely. A lot of utility can be found in playing with a mod pack, which frequently take one or two dozen mods, finagle with them so they work together, and pack them into one package. But whether you use a mod pack or just add mods piecemeal, you can get new biomes, new structures, new enemies, new blocks, new dimensions, magic systems, technology, animals, dinosaurs, music, or whatever else you want.

Personally, I have fun with mods from time to time, but something always draws me back to Vanilla Minecraft. There's just something about the feel of it that mods have a hard time pulling off right.

deanote666

I'm trying to get the sniper duel trophy on the PlayStation Vita version but it isn't unlocking.

I have it set so a skeleton goes down a 50+ hole with water at the bottom so it survives the fall. I shoot down the hole and see it die but no trophy.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for the mod info

Im having a frustrating problem :

I used an eye to find the ender portal. I loaded the game in creative to dig down for it but couldn't find it

What gives? I dug pretty extensively around but just found a cave and a lava pool but no stronghold where the eye of ender was

Holkin

Im having a frustrating problem :

I used an eye to find the ender portal. I loaded the game in creative to dig down for it but couldn't find it

What gives? I dug pretty extensively around but just found a cave and a lava pool but no stronghold where the eye of ender was

Are you sure you use it properly? There must be some video tutorial on youtube to see how it happens in game.
In what version of game chunks are actually created? If 1.0 or later it should be ok, but I'm not sure wheter they changed its generation.

You could also try this: http://chunkbase.com/apps/stronghold-finder

Fuchsdh

I'm trying to get the sniper duel trophy on the PlayStation Vita version but it isn't unlocking.

I have it set so a skeleton goes down a 50+ hole with water at the bottom so it survives the fall. I shoot down the hole and see it die but no trophy.

Am I missing something?

It's possible that the 50+ distance is horizontal, not vertical?

Also, I finally beat the Ender Dragon for the first time (in 360 edition.) Was more difficult than I expected (kept dying from fall damage.) But that's done. Will be interesting to see how the challenge is different with multiple people and the 1.9 changes.

Nihon: Started carting over basic materials for the train station.

Are you sure you use it properly? There must be some video tutorial on youtube to see how it happens in game.
In what version of game chunks are actually created? If 1.0 or later it should be ok, but I'm not sure wheter they changed its generation.

You could also try this: http://chunkbase.com/apps/stronghold-finder

This doesnt work for PS4 :(

I am certainly using the eye of ender correctly. I follow it's direction until it goes underground, I dig to the spot where it leads me...and I find nothing.

Starting to wonder if my world is just bugged, because at the jungle temple, I couldnt find any chest and the trip wire didnt seem to work.

I think it's time I move to PC. These mods Im reading about (forestry, ethos, etc) sound so cool

Fuchsdh

This doesnt work for PS4 :(

I am certainly using the eye of ender correctly. I follow it's direction until it goes underground, I dig to the spot where it leads me...and I find nothing.

Starting to wonder if my world is just bugged, because at the jungle temple, I couldnt find any chest and the trip wire didnt seem to work.

I think it's time I move to PC

Can't argue with that, join ussss

I really still do appreciate the crafting system on the console versions though, I feel bad for people who don't have a second monitor to have the Minecraft wiki up because I cannot keep lots of recipes, especially for potions, straight in my head.

So, does anyone else play with Command Blocks much? On my single player worlds, I've really gotten into playing with them, and you can do some crazy stuff. I know it's sort of cheating to some, but it's like a whole different game. Using command blocks is to creative, what creative is to survival. I'm still not very good with them, but you can automate a lot of the boring parts of Minecraft. One of the things I'm most looking forward to in 1.9 is the new command blocks.

-Minsc-

So, does anyone else play with Command Blocks much? On my single player worlds, I've really gotten into playing with them, and you can do some crazy stuff. I know it's sort of cheating to some, but it's like a whole different game. Using command blocks is to creative, what creative is to survival. I'm still not very good with them, but you can automate a lot of the boring parts of Minecraft. One of the things I'm most looking forward to in 1.9 is the new command blocks.

I haven't looked too much into them since my focus is the "look" of the structures I build. When getting the server ready for vanilla when we dropped Bukkit I used command blocks to make a teleporter spawn and the 1.8 town.

deanote666

It's possible that the 50+ distance is horizontal, not vertical?

Also, I finally beat the Ender Dragon for the first time (in 360 edition.) Was more difficult than I expected (kept dying from fall damage.) But that's done. Will be interesting to see how the challenge is different with multiple people and the 1.9 changes.

Nihon: Started carting over basic materials for the train station.

Thanks! Looks like it was horizontal.

Now I just need someone to throw diamonds at for a trophy on the PS Vita version...

I haven't looked too much into them since my focus is the "look" of the structures I build. When getting the server ready for vanilla when we dropped Bukkit I used command blocks to make a teleporter spawn and the 1.8 town.

Yeah, I mostly use it for stuff like teleports and other utilities to save myself time and work in my creative worlds. Although, it can be helpful for the look, too, since command blocks are basically wireless redstone.

Holkin

I cannot keep lots of recipes, especially for potions, straight in my head.

I had problems with potion too, but only until I made few of them. The idea is quite easy. You have two branches: awkward and mundane. Second you never need. :) You just make glass bucket, which gives you bottles, you fill them with water, and put into brewing stand, which is crafted like cobblestone slab (cheapest slab) with one rod on top. Next you just add nether wart every single time. Next ingredient gives you effect. Swiftness potions are the cheapest, just sugar. Strength potions demand you to kill blaze. Fire protection wants killed slime. You can take nether one or add some blaze powder to usual one. The most expensive is regeneration, that demand ghast to be killed. Healing is cheaper, demands only melon and gold (8 nuggets). Night vision is similar, but with carrot. Wheat and potatoes are useless. Water breathing wants something from water, leaping demands rabbit thing. And it is pretty much all potions. Weakness and damaging ones are useless in everyday life. Next trick to remember is redstone/glowstone thing. Redstone gives seconds, glowstone increases effect, but you can't have both. Gunpowder makes potion throwable.

The hardest recipe for me was piston. Even today it takes few seconds to remember. All other are pretty simple. You can forget things that you don't craft often like redstone comparator, but they are simple to get with tries and errors.

Forestry/BC/IC recipes are quite simple too. IC experimental becomes complicated, then you really need NEI.

Rootbeer

Banned
Minecraft recently updated their launcher for mac so it uses Java 8... FINALLY! This is huge, you no longer have to install the legacy Java 6 which is slower, nor do you have to do any weird hacks to force it to work with Java 8. It just works.

Fuchsdh

Minecraft recently updated their launcher for mac so it uses Java 8... FINALLY! This is huge, you no longer have to install the legacy Java 6 which is slower, nor do you have to do any weird hacks to force it to work with Java 8. It just works.

Awesome. Will check out (I was doing the latter "break your Java SE 6 installation and use a macro to kludge it to Java 8" method.)

Is that a new item he's holding or is it part of the flying item?

New item coming in 1.9. It takes up the chest slot in your armor, and it can't be crafted, only found. I think that's pretty much all that's known so far.

Edit: Oh, I misread your question. Looks like he's just holding an anvil to me.

Fuchsdh

Looks more like gliding, really.

Although with the application of slime blocks, you could have some very cool traversal methods for your unconventional bases.

Well the update has me optimistic for potential future additions. They're fixing boats, for one. Having a system that's better able to handle vehicles could easily be a precursor to more vehicles being added. Having flying/gliding wings is something that could easily be carried to other things then just a wing pack. Flying boats or flying horses, maybe. And having things you can wear in your armor slot that add utility beyond armor is something I'm very interested in. Flippers for better swimming, maybe.

I mean, I doubt they'll go too crazy with additions in this direction, but the development of Minecraft in the past year seems to be less about "Here's one cool feature" and more like "Here's a system that can be applied in myriad ways, including this one feature." You really can see how they're trending towards a more moddable Minecraft, I think.

Top Bottom