• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

New item coming in 1.9. It takes up the chest slot in your armor, and it can't be crafted, only found. I think that's pretty much all that's known so far.

Edit: Oh, I misread your question. Looks like he's just holding an anvil to me.

No worries, you ended up answering questions I had anyway. That held item looks a little different than an anvil, but I never really see what it looks like in third person anyway.

New update sounds awesome. I've only been playing a couple hours a week but this should be enough to make me dive in for a good ol fashioned 12 hour minecraft day. Could probably convince my friends to jump back on too.

woolley

Well the update has me optimistic for potential future additions. They're fixing boats, for one. Having a system that's better able to handle vehicles could easily be a precursor to more vehicles being added. Having flying/gliding wings is something that could easily be carried to other things then just a wing pack. Flying boats or flying horses, maybe. And having things you can wear in your armor slot that add utility beyond armor is something I'm very interested in. Flippers for better swimming, maybe.

I mean, I doubt they'll go too crazy with additions in this direction, but the development of Minecraft in the past year seems to be less about "Here's one cool feature" and more like "Here's a system that can be applied in myriad ways, including this one feature." You really can see how they're trending towards a more moddable Minecraft, I think.

They've said they fixed boats in past updates and they're still terrible, I'm not holding out much hope that they'll ever get them to work properly.

They've said they fixed boats in past updates and they're still terrible, I'm not holding out much hope that they'll ever get them to work properly.

True.

Does anyone play the mobile version much? They're taking the boat code from that, where it apparently works well. I haven't played mobile, though, so I'm not sure how true that is.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Who is ready to start flying?

(Flying in survival, that is.)

Sweet! That looks cool.

I've been playing a bit in my solo world the past couple nights, I'm thinking once the patch hits I'm going to start a brand new solo world. Mine is a few years old, but it's a huge map created over many different patches, and I just want to start a new empire that has all of the current stuff everywhere in it. Been awhile since I started from scratch!

Ranger X

Sweet! That looks cool.

I've been playing a bit in my solo world the past couple nights, I'm thinking once the patch hits I'm going to start a brand new solo world. Mine is a few years old, but it's a huge map created over many different patches, and I just want to start a new empire that has all of the current stuff everywhere in it. Been awhile since I started from scratch!

I shall probably do the same. Flying is quite significant.
Hopefully there will be some other nice additions or I might restart at a later update.

Blizzard

Banned
With gliding in and Cubeworld abandoned, it would be really cool if the Cubeworld climbing mechanic got added. It could also be optional equipment so that people who wanted to play the old way could do so, but people who want to climb can go up walls / trees / outcroppings.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhj1nvtdqpg

With gliding in and Cubeworld abandoned, it would be really cool if the Cubeworld climbing mechanic got added. It could also be optional equipment so that people who wanted to play the old way could do so, but people who want to climb can go up walls / trees / outcroppings.

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhj1nvtdqpg

I'd love that. I've played around with a few mods that add different ways to move and I think climbing and improved swimming would both be very welcome additions. I'm hoping that the addition of wings in the chest slot inspires them to add equipment to enabled climbing and better swimming and all sorts of effects other than "+X armor"

Holkin

Did anybody try new world generation mode?
Finally we can get in vanilla:
- 200+ blocks ore veins
- ocean world with tiny islands
- huge lava oceans
- small biomes
- extreme terrain via editing perlin noise constraints
- 100 dungeons
- diamonds on whatever level you want

Ranger X

Did anybody try new world generation mode?
Finally we can get in vanilla:
- 200+ blocks ore veins
- ocean world with tiny islands
- huge lava oceans
- small biomes
- extreme terrain via editing perlin noise constraints
- 100 dungeons
- diamonds on whatever level you want

what's that mode? something new in the next PC update?
Can't we influence the generating already in the custom mode?

what's that mode? something new in the next PC update?
Can't we influence the generating already in the custom mode?

I think that's what he's talking about.

And yeah, it's completely awesome. Whenever I make a new world, I always do a few little tweaks to it. Like, I prefer much larger biomes for one. I'm glad they gave us these options because the world gen is really fun to tinker with.

Having maps with crazy variable elevation is going to be super fun once those wings are out. I played with them a bit in the snapshot and I like them a lot. Jumping off of giant mountains and flying through dark caves in a crazy mountain world will be a blast.

Also tried out the new boats. They take a little getting used to, but I think it's going the right direction. First of all, they don't break now. Like, ever. I tried ramming into the ground as fast as I could and nothing happened. Squids don't break them either. The crafting recipe has changed and now includes a wooden shovel, which acts as oars. Steering boats has changed with the introduction of the oars. Instead of pressing W to go forward, you know press D to row the right paddle and A to row the left. So to go forward, you hold both, to turn you press just one. They're a little slow, but if they fix that, it could be cool.

Also, boats have room for two people now. You can hop in the back of your friends boat and have him steer. Mobs can also ride in the back, which was pretty funny when I ran into a squid and it hopped in the back seat of my boat.

Wow nice. And if I park them do they fucking stay in place now?

I only messed around a bit, but I didn't notice any issues where they went flying away when I hopped out. In fact, it was pretty good about placing me on nearby dry land when I tried to get out near the ground.

I'd still love to see some kind of Dock block, though. Something that grabs your boat when you get close to it and locks it so you can get out.

Blizzard

Banned
I only messed around a bit, but I didn't notice any issues where they went flying away when I hopped out. In fact, it was pretty good about placing me on nearby dry land when I tried to get out near the ground.

I'd still love to see some kind of Dock block, though. Something that grabs your boat when you get close to it and locks it so you can get out.
Maybe even a rope or lasso so you could tie the boat to a dock like real life!

Holkin

Is there any way to obtain reeds when you have world flooded with lava?
All biomes that are not mountains or hills are just lava ocean. It feels ok for me, put something like 70-80 for water level and enable lava oceans and you'll get it.
Survive vanilla lava flood challenge. Pouring water onto lava ocean surface is prohibited. :)
Finding first 2 buckets of water was quite challenging, but when i decided to not eat growables and turn to fish, it was even more challenging to find string.
Now I just ask what is expected height of growing reeds and whether is there any alternative way to obtain it.

add
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...4KPwrKdPrTY/s800-Ic42/2015-10-11_16.49.46.png
I dreamed about this since 2011

add2
The goal for Vanilla Lava Flood Challenge: put beacon on top of purpur pilon in Overworld.

Fuchsdh

Is there any way to obtain reeds when you have world flooded with lava?
All biomes that are not mountains or hills are just lava ocean. It feels ok for me, put something like 70-80 for water level and enable lava oceans and you'll get it.
Survive vanilla lava flood challenge. Pouring water onto lava ocean surface is prohibited. :)
Finding first 2 buckets of water was quite challenging, but when i decided to not eat growables and turn to fish, it was even more challenging to find string.
Now I just ask what is expected height of growing reeds and whether is there any alternative way to obtain it.

add
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...4KPwrKdPrTY/s800-Ic42/2015-10-11_16.49.46.png
I dreamed about this since 2011

add2
The goal for Vanilla Lava Flood Challenge: put beacon on top of purpur pilon in Overworld.

I actually think there might not be any option for reeds, if you've flooded everything. As far as I know they don't grow in high-altitude areas (there aren't really lakes or streams up there in MC at least.)

Yeah, I think without water, it's pretty damn hard to get reeds. You can occasionally seem them in deserts, I think, but I doubt you'll find any in mountains or hills.

Fuchsdh

Apologies to whoever built a little hidden crypt under the cathedral, but I totally smashed it up along with the piston door. :|

-Minsc-

My work thus far at the city, Gaffam City, Gafhattan, whatever it's called.

CityBuild000.png

CityBuild001.png

CityBuild002.png

Fuchsdh

Ooh, there's a "Mending" enchant in the new snapshot that has your experience go to repairing the tool rather than your XP bar. Hopefully this stays, because it offers a path forward for keeping your super-awesome tools much longer than eventually having them become too costly.

Hoping we get 1.9 sooner rather than later, there's a lot of cool stuff in here.

Ooh, there's a "Mending" enchant in the new snapshot that has your experience go to repairing the tool rather than your XP bar. Hopefully this stays, because it offers a path forward for keeping your super-awesome tools much longer than eventually having them become too costly.

Hoping we get 1.9 sooner rather than later, there's a lot of cool stuff in here.

Yeah, it looks pretty awesome. They say they hope to have it feature complete by the end of the month. Then it'll probably just be a few weeks of tuning and bug fixing.

EVIL

Hmm, cant seem to stay on for more than a few seconds before I get an error message that my connection has been forcefully disconnected by the host. anyone know whats up?

Fuchsdh

Restarted the server. This is what the console is spitting out for you, Rikui:

User rikui_x2 has disconnected, reason: TranslatableComponent{key='disconnect.genericReason', args=[Internal Exception: java.io.IOException: Error while read(...): Connection reset by peer], siblings=[], style=Style{hasParent=false, color=null, bold=null, italic=null, underlined=null, obfuscated=null, clickEvent=null, hoverEvent=null, insertion=null}

Fuck if I know what that means.

Cmagus

You know playing through Minecraft Story Mode from Tell Tale just makes me wish this game could add more atmosphere and lighting options like I really wish the game looked like this game. It would definitely be something I would want to see in the future if they ever made a Minecraft 2. I still enjoy Minecraft here and there but man it's really feeling outdated at this point.

Fuchsdh

You know playing through Minecraft Story Mode from Tell Tale just makes me wish this game could add more atmosphere and lighting options like I really wish the game looked like this game. It would definitely be something I would want to see in the future if they ever made a Minecraft 2. I still enjoy Minecraft here and there but man it's really feeling outdated at this point.

The first and final images are pretty close to what the game looks like with shaders. If you've got a beefy computer you should take a look.

Cmagus

The first and final images are pretty close to what the game looks like with shaders. If you've got a beefy computer you should take a look.

I've seen some cool shaders but my PC isn't crazy beefy for most. Honestly for me it doesn't even have to be as good as the first picture but some coloured lighting would go such a long way in this game instead of everything looking flat.

Fuchsdh

I've seen some cool shaders but my PC isn't crazy beefy for most. Honestly for me it doesn't even have to be as good as the first picture but some coloured lighting would go such a long way in this game instead of everything looking flat.

I've definitely hoped for stained glass to affect lighting, but I dunno if we'll ever see that in 1.x. Mojang definitely seems interested in optimizing and revamping the legacy cruft and shortcuts of Minecraft's indie days, though, so who knows.

Top Bottom