• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Why again should I buy the Windows 10 edition if I already got the regular edition?

It's free if you have the original version, and it runs significantly better in my experience. It's still lacking some features (they just added desert temples and redstone circuitry yesterday, for crying out loud!) and can't be played online (unless you use workarounds), but I've switched over to it exclusively. The better performance is worth it to me.

It's free if you have the original version, and it runs significantly better in my experience. It's still lacking some features (they just added desert temples and redstone circuitry yesterday, for crying out loud!) and can't be played online (unless you use workarounds), but I've switched over to it exclusively. The better performance is worth it to me.

I think that might be the one thing holding me back from using the Windows 10 version. I pretty much play on servers exclusively now. I just can't get into it when I'm playing solo. Once that features makes it over, I may check it out. They're shooting for feature parity between every version eventually, so I think it's only a matter of time before I move to the Windows 10 so I can grab that performance bonus.

Although, I haven't been playing much at all lately! So busy. I should be back on the server soon, I hope. Gotta keep building that city.

Also, Nihon, glad you enjoyed SarBear's and My little jungle temple. It's simple, but it was fun watching someone complete it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Not me, there is just too much stuff missing for me to be able to enjoy playing it. If they had feature parity then yeah it would be great, but until that it's just an unused game for me.

Holkin

I think it would be nice to have some kind of room with /tp commands leading to interesting places to visit. It may look like a straight corridor with branches. Basically it is two tier hierarchy system. You just choose category from main corridor and then choose place to be teleported. I think it won't add much load on server, and placing two command blocks and editing /tp coordinates doesn't take much time and effort compared to building the design itself or even linking up rail line. Rail system is nice and fancy, it is definitely cool thing to have, but not so comfortable to use. Especially when network gives you delay on chunk loading.
Imagine every interesting place on the server available in 100-200 blocks of walking.
What do you think?

Fuchsdh

I think it would be nice to have some kind of room with /tp commands leading to interesting places to visit. It may look like a straight corridor with branches. Basically it is two tier hierarchy system. You just choose category from main corridor and then choose place to be teleported. I think it won't add much load on server, and placing two command blocks and editing /tp coordinates doesn't take much time and effort compared to building the design itself or even linking up rail line. Rail system is nice and fancy, it is definitely cool thing to have, but not so comfortable to use. Especially when network gives you delay on chunk loading.
Imagine every interesting place on the server available in 100-200 blocks of walking.
What do you think?

I've already built most of a TARDIS system using the boxes someone started plopping down after 1.8 in various locations. It's arranged similar to the nether, with off-cardinal directions from spawn. I just didn't know if Ark or Minsc felt that having so many TP points would be cheating or not, or superfluous given the established nether, rail, and (at least on the eastern continent) road network that's pretty good in coverage.

Holkin

Honestly I don't want any rails at my base besides I've placed myself.
I have great plans for nether, where I'll probably have connection to common network and that's it.
I don't think it is cheating. You basically can go to spawn and fill your inventory with diamond blocks. And nobody say you it is something wrong.
The most valuable resource in minecraft surprisingly is time. If you cut off unnecessary time expense you will make the game more enjoyable for you. That's why (I think) people prefer creative mode. And that's the reason I want Nihon use diamond tools with 4-5 efficiency on them. He doesn't realize how much footage he makes while doing unnecessary things. You can consider it in ultrahardcore game, but never in survival building (sic) for youtube.

-Minsc-

I've already built most of a TARDIS system using the boxes someone started plopping down after 1.8 in various locations. It's arranged similar to the nether, with off-cardinal directions from spawn. I just didn't know if Ark or Minsc felt that having so many TP points would be cheating or not, or superfluous given the established nether, rail, and (at least on the eastern continent) road network that's pretty good in coverage.

I believe Sir Ark has moved on from Minecraft. As for my stance, proceed at your discretion.

Fuchsdh

Oh hey, forgot to post NeoCraft 161 is now up for viewing.

Holy cow, this project's gonna take longer than I thought ^^;;

We need to schedule and coordinate actual times to meet you when you're online and help out. Rikui and I wait for you to show...

92203.gif

Red

Don't know if this is widespread, but I got an email today saying the email address associated with my Mojang account had been changed to sadov.serioga@yandex.ru. I immediately changed it back, updated my password, and changed my security questions. I later got another email saying:
Hi,

Someone requested a list of all users bound to this email account by
inputting the address at https://minecraft.net/retrievename.
If this wasn't you, you can safely ignore this email, since you're the only
one to receive the list.

I could just be unlucky or something fishy could be going on. Keep an eye out.

Mengy

Wow, so I just realized today that Minecraft hasn't had a true update since 1.8 hit on September of 2014. It's been over one year since the game was last updated with anything other than a minor patch! They went from several major updates per year down to over one year between updates.

That's really pretty pathetic. You'd think with the resources of Microsoft behind them now they could update faster than before, not immensely less often. Maybe they are focusing on getting all of the other versions up to sync with the PC game? Who knows.

Maybe it's time for me to finally start messing around with mods...

Speaking of 1.9 though, has anyone played around with the snapshots at all? Are the combat changes for the better?

Holkin

I have great fun with new world generation options. That's main 1.9 feature for me.
Boat mechanic seems a bit clumsy. I prefer swimming instead of new boats. :)
Combat mechanics looks promising and quite interesting. But it turns out to be not much different from existing. Once you get enchanted diamond sword it looks the same. But before it happens you can find good use for rock exe and new fancy shield. Shield is basically OP. You don't need any armor while wearing a shield. But it has low durability (thus spare shields take inventory space) and covers part of viewing area.
New slot is good for torches. It looks promising for many applications, but it feels more comfortable just to play as before.
I didn't try new arrows, new potions and new building blocks.
I don't know exactly, but it feels like they changed villager trades and nerved fishing.

Fuchsdh

I'm loathe to play newer versions until they're released because I hate going back to the old version and being frustrated I can't do the same things :)

Holkin

Yeah, I play mods based on 1.7 and its enchanting feels awful. But it is ok for me to play older versions. You never have better than beta_1.7.3 world gen.

Decided to briefly pop into the server, and, well... out of curiosity, did anyone die near my house? I found a set of chainmail armor and a record strewn about in the cave underneath it.

Although I'm kind of tempted to move, honestly. I understand it was built with the best of intentions, but the railroad taking up so much real estate in front of my place is kind of an eyesore. Suppose I could turn this into an opportunity to practice building subways or something.

Fuchsdh

Decided to briefly pop into the server, and, well... out of curiosity, did anyone die near my house? I found a set of chainmail armor and a record strewn about in the cave underneath it.

Although I'm kind of tempted to move, honestly. I understand it was built with the best of intentions, but the railroad taking up so much real estate in front of my place is kind of an eyesore. Suppose I could turn this into an opportunity to practice building subways or something.

Where's your place again? We can easily move the rail lines underground where needed.

Fuchsdh

Thanks! Well I guess I can be the start of a night crew of sorts, haha. I usually play really early (5am-9am) or really late (11pm-3am).

If you have any questions and no one's on, you can always ask here, but most things should be pretty self-explanatory. North of where you initially spawn there's an obelisk that will teleport you from Old Spawn to the Pioneer Town if you want to play with 1.8 blocks (since the Old Spawn chunks don't have the new blocks.) It'll also allow you to switch from creative to survival and back again, depending on how you want to play.

This is a map of the current rail system if you want to use it to get around:

And this is a link to the overview of the map circa a few weeks ago if you want to scout around:

http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/X6sQ7#/-94/64/64/-12/0/0

Mengy

Fuchsdh

Oh, I didn't realize we had an updated Overviewer style map of the server. Is this map kept up to date? I should probably put both the rail map and the server map in the OP....

You have to manually upload a new version of the map to the website, so I've been doing it every month or so (which means I should do it again presently.) Getting a live-updated version for the server is beyond my ken (I do miss the one we had where you could see who was online and chat with them even when you weren't in the game...)

If you want a rail map that will always update, I'll just update a public Dropbox link and keep that refreshed when I make changes. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52289775/GAFLAND Rail Map.png

I'm all about survival and hope to eventually take over a ocean monument to farm guardians. Obviously I assume griefing people's builds is not allowed but are there any other rules or restrictions, official or otherwise?

Fuchsdh

I'm all about survival and hope to eventually take over a ocean monument to farm guardians. Obviously I assume griefing people's builds is not allowed but are there any other rules or restrictions, official or otherwise?

Not really. Just give people a little space so you're not building on top of them, or in an area that's clearly claimed by someone (torches, cobble, etc.)

Should be plenty of ocean monuments not claimed yet if you're willing to go further afield. I believe there are a few unclaimed ones in the vicinity of the island Rikui and I built over one for a puzzle dungeon, in a sea ENE of the 1.8 Pioneer Town and the red line station due east of it.

I believe someone also built guardian farms on the red and green lines.

masud

Banned
Fuch I'm gonna start working on the tunnel to extend the green line south towards my village and gurdian grinder. Don't know how long it's gonna take through.

Fuchsdh

Fuch I'm gonna start working on the tunnel to extend the green line south towards my village and gurdian grinder. Don't know how long it's gonna take through.

I've got my hands full with other lines so I don't think taking your time will particularly hurt anything :)

zer0das

Banned
I'm kind of annoyed- I haven't checked my barn in a long while, and I've lost a lot of animals to them clipping through walls and suffocating when they shouldn't be. And my pink sheep are all in the wrong pen (and there weren't enough to overlap, they just walk straight through fences). I think I lost 6-8 horses? And the one that had diamond armor on it.

This bug has been around at least 2 years too. Sigh. I guess I can always restore what I lost via creative mode, but the barn was supposed to keep my animals safe, not kill them. -_-

Holkin

Try to use water pushing system. It may not look well, but might keep them safe.

----
And a bit off-topic. I'd like to tell you about ukrainian winter holidays. They might look very strange for people on other continent. As far many young people begin celebrating Halloween here I think it would be nice idea to bring some ideas from other culture too. Are you interested?

Mengy

I'm kind of annoyed- I haven't checked my barn in a long while, and I've lost a lot of animals to them clipping through walls and suffocating when they shouldn't be. And my pink sheep are all in the wrong pen (and there weren't enough to overlap, they just walk straight through fences). I think I lost 6-8 horses? And the one that had diamond armor on it.

This bug has been around at least 2 years too. Sigh. I guess I can always restore what I lost via creative mode, but the barn was supposed to keep my animals safe, not kill them. -_-

It's worse on servers due to latency, but this still happens in single player mode too. It seems to be worse with glass walls, if you log out while they are against the glass then when you log in they could be on either side of it. It's an old bug that will probably never be fixed. The best way to avoid this is to put animals in hole-in-the-ground pens, where they have several block thick solid walls on every side of them. I've found that this works almost 100% to keep animals both contained and alive, even on the server.

But yeah, it can be frustrating.

Holkin

The best way to avoid this is to put animals in hole-in-the-ground pens, where they have several block thick solid walls on every side of them.

They can suffocate in walls.
Flowing water might be better. AFAIR that was in one of mindcrack team LP's.

The server just went down or something and disconnected me while I was playing. It says "Connection refused: no further information". I can join other servers but not NeoCraft. Any ideas or anyone else getting this?

EDIT: Ha, figures. Right after I post that I can connect again.

Fuchsdh

The server just went down or something and disconnected me while I was playing. It says "Connection refused: no further information". I can join other servers but not NeoCraft. Any ideas or anyone else getting this?

EDIT: Ha, figures. Right after I post that I can connect again.

I have that issue randomly with servers sometimes (alongside the "game client must be out of date" one when I'm using the right version.) Usually restarting solves the issues.

Bentles

Returned to ye olde castle project which I can never seem to finish.

Did some building work on the back of the castle which, for the longest time, was a hideous, flat wall. Now it looks a lot nicer!

The only reason there's variety in how the wall looks is because I have redstone stuff in certain walls so I can't make indentations in them. But in the end it looks more interesting than it would have otherwise done because of that.

Still trying to decide what else to put in this place. The 2nd floor is way too open to hide redstone anywhere. Need to add some more walls.

Fuchsdh

Returned to ye olde castle project which I can never seem to finish.

Did some building work on the back of the castle which, for the longest time, was a hideous, flat wall. Now it looks a lot nicer!

The only reason there's variety in how the wall looks is because I have redstone stuff in certain walls so I can't make indentations in them. But in the end it looks more interesting than it would have otherwise done because of that.

Still trying to decide what else to put in this place. The 2nd floor is way too open to hide redstone anywhere. Need to add some more walls.

Yeah figuring out how much room to afford redstone and how to hide it well is a trick I have not yet mastered.

Also, you misspelled "Neil" :p

Visited the nether last night and ran into some trouble. I don't have time to give the whole harrowing story right now but the TL;DR is that I accidentally hit a pigman and then proceeded to die a bunch of times recovering my items. It was one of the most heart pounding and intense gaming experiences I've ever had. If you see some blocks broken or placed in weird areas in the tunnels between portals that was me trying to evade the army that wanted to eat my face for the 4th time. Next time I can get on I'll try and get back to do clean up.

-Minsc-

Visited the nether last night and ran into some trouble. I don't have time to give the whole harrowing story right now but the TL;DR is that I accidentally hit a pigman and then proceeded to die a bunch of times recovering my items. It was one of the most heart pounding and intense gaming experiences I've ever had. If you see some blocks broken or placed in weird areas in the tunnels between portals that was me trying to evade the army that wanted to eat my face for the 4th time. Next time I can get on I'll try and get back to do clean up.

That brings back memories of the olden days in minecraft. :)

-Minsc-

Today I went for a swim. With me I was carrying a full set of enchanted iron armour, looting diamond sword, high fortune and silk touch pickaxes, seven diamond and various other mined resources. By habit I nearly typed /home until I realized that command no longer exists. My thoughts briefly shifted to /tp, I quickly decided against it. Evrything melted away. I said, "I accept this.". There was no anger.

Top Bottom