• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

So I realized today I have been sitting on maps to pretty much the entire civilized Minecraft world from west to east.. (not north to south, since those extend quite a bit further), and I haven't really been doing anything with them. And I'm not going to for a while, because I'm waiting until 1.9 to explore any further.

Is there any interest in me making a map board in spawn with copies of all my maps? And if so, does anyone have a suggestion on where to put them? This also has the added side effect of updating all my maps with the stuff people have built recently, if people actually use them.

I'm also probably going to start an infrastructure project where I will start building a network of safe houses at the edges of my currently explored maps. It will make exploring further north/south a lot easier in the future. Especially for things to the far northwest/southeast.

Would be cool to have the maps at spawn, but they're so zoomed out I don't think you'd want them to replace the current spawn ones. Maybe stick them to the side? I've been tempted to rip down and rebuild my old home/library anyhow, maybe you could stick them in that spot.

I saw on the overviewer that you've been making more roads in the east.

I have a question about Nether Portals.

So, I have a water world going. On my Spawn Island, I have a Nether Portal.

I traveled West a ways, and made a new portal. They both take me to different areas in the Nether, they're far enough from each other.

So then I travel North from Spawn, and I make another portal. This one takes me to the same spot in the Nether as the West portal does, they're too close.

So I destroy the West portal top-side, scoot over to the North portal, go in, and it takes me back to where I want in the Nether, where it and the West portal both used to dump me. I get all excited because now it'll make getting to the North island, which is filled with cows, way faster then jumping in a boat every time.

So I go back into the portal, expecting it to dump me out top-side on Cow Island to the North. Instead, it dumps me out in some completely random cavern who knows where.

Why did it spawn a brand new Nether Portal who knows where instead of dumping me out at the North Portal? It's super annoying, I can enter the North Portal and be where I want in the Nether but if I try to exit through it to get back to Cow Island it just spits me out in the random cavern.

Did I mess something up along the way, and if so, how do I fix it? I want to be able to get to Cow Island quickly without having to use a boat every time ;__;

Fuchsdh

I have a question about Nether Portals.

So, I have a water world going. On my Spawn Island, I have a Nether Portal.

I traveled West a ways, and made a new portal. They both take me to different areas in the Nether, they're far enough from each other.

So then I travel North from Spawn, and I make another portal. This one takes me to the same spot in the Nether as the West portal does, they're too close.

So I destroy the West portal top-side, scoot over to the North portal, go in, and it takes me back to where I want in the Nether, where it and the West portal both used to dump me. I get all excited because now it'll make getting to the North island, which is filled with cows, way faster then jumping in a boat every time.

So I go back into the portal, expecting it to dump me out top-side on Cow Island to the North. Instead, it dumps me out in some completely random cavern who knows where.

Why did it spawn a brand new Nether Portal who knows where instead of dumping me out at the North Portal? It's super annoying, I can enter the North Portal and be where I want in the Nether but if I try to exit through it to get back to Cow Island it just spits me out in the random cavern.

Did I mess something up along the way, and if so, how do I fix it? I want to be able to get to Cow Island quickly without having to use a boat every time ;__;

Can't answer the question of why it's dumping you into a brand new portal (I've seen that happen on the NeoCraft server, and didn't know why it did it there either) but it's worth noting that portals that are close to each other take into account Y distance. You can have two portals close to each other but you have to make sure the coords for each are exact (I use one of the random plethora of nether calculators since math is hard.)

zer0das

Banned
Honestly it just sounds like a case of there being a lot of prebuilt portals in the overworld. Just because a portal you built takes you to a certain spot, doesn't mean it is the return portal. As far as I am aware, at least some nether portals in the nether already have overworld exits. So unless you happen to be closer to the precise coordinates in the nether, that is going to override things. So what likely happened is the following:

1. You build the western portal. It is closer to exact coordinates you need than the preexisting overworld portal. So you now have a standard one entrance/one exit situation since you are unaware of the overworld portal.
2. You build your northern portal. It overlaps with the western portal and the overworld one, as its coordinates are closest to the nether exit in #1. So now you have three portals flowing to the same exit. But the nether portal only returns to the western one since is the closest.
3. You destroy your western portal. Now the overworld portal you were unaware of is closest. So it takes precedence as the point of return in the overworld.

So to fix think you can destroy the portal in the nether and build one at the exact coordinates so the nether portal and its counterpart in the overworld overlap. So if you press f3 in the overworld, look at the coordinates, and divide each of them by 8, that will tell you where you need to build the corresponding nether portal. As long as you're within a few blocks of that (or closer than the nearest portal), that should fix your issue.

Source: Having a similar problem and Rikui helping me fix it when I was a newb. Also every time you a build a new portal you tend to have to build a new one in the nether at the precise coordinates.

Honestly it just sounds like a case of there being a lot of prebuilt portals in the overworld. Just because a portal you built takes you to a certain spot, doesn't mean it is the return portal. As far as I am aware, at least some nether portals in the nether already have overworld exits. So unless you happen to be closer to the precise coordinates in the nether, that is going to override things. So what likely happened is the following:

1. You build the western portal. It is closer to exact coordinates you need than the preexisting overworld portal. So you now have a standard one entrance/one exit situation since you are unaware of the overworld portal.
2. You build your northern portal. It overlaps with the western portal and the overworld one, as its coordinates are closest to the nether exit in #1. So now you have three portals flowing to the same exit. But the nether portal only returns to the western one since is the closest.
3. You destroy your western portal. Now the overworld portal you were unaware of is closest. So it takes precedence as the point of return in the overworld.

So to fix think you can destroy the portal in the nether and build one at the exact coordinates so the nether portal and its counterpart in the overworld overlap. So if you press f3 in the overworld, look at the coordinates, and divide each of them by 8, that will tell you where you need to build the corresponding nether portal. As long as you're within a few blocks of that (or closer than the nearest portal), that should fix your issue.

Source: Having a similar problem and Rikui helping me fix it when I was a newb. Also every time you a build a new portal you tend to have to build a new one in the nether at the precise coordinates.
Except the Y cord. That should just match or be close.

Should I be worried that Minecraft Vita wasn't included in the big update that hit today for PS4/3 Xbox 360/One?

Cool, that pulls the console versions up to current PC version. Of course early next year we'll leapfrog them again...

You say that as if you're disappointed with (current) parity.

Edit:

Two quick notes about 1.8.8 on other consoles before we get into it: the update is slightly delayed for Minecraft on Playstation Vita so expect it to arrive in the next few days. And, though we’re working hard to bring these features to Nintendo’s console, 1.8.8 won’t be available on Wii U until some time next year.

Looks like Vita is delayed slightly, good to know it is coming!

Should I be worried that Minecraft Vita wasn't included in the big update that hit today for PS4/3 Xbox 360/One?

You say that as if you're disappointed with (current) parity.

Edit:

Looks like Vita is delayed slightly, good to know it is coming!

I'm glad they didn't forget about the Vita version, but since that's the only one I play I'm annoyed I have to wait a few more days for it.

-Minsc-

Greetings everyone.

The new year is fast approaching which means the invoice for the next three months of server operation is soon due. Adding to what is already in the PayPal account, about another $25 (USD) will keep the place afloat until the end of March. Every little bit helps. :)

Donated 1 buck. I know it's almost nothing but between xmas and buying my new laptop I'm really wasted. Only have 3 dollars left in the bank, lol.

I love being with my family in holidays, but damn. It's surprisingly expensive to be here with no income whatsoever.

It's the reason of why I can't wait to be back to college in a few weeks. At least there I do have some kind of income, even if my eating habits lefts much to be desired when in college, lol. Making 90 bucks per week and expending 15 per week is life.

-Minsc-

Donated 1 buck. I know it's almost nothing but between xmas and buying my new laptop I'm really wasted. Only have 3 dollars left in the bank, lol.

I love being with my family in holidays, but damn. It's surprisingly expensive to be here with no income whatsoever.

It's the reason of why I can't wait to be back to college in a few weeks. At least there I do have some kind of income, even if my eating habits lefts much to be desired when in college, lol. Making 90 bucks per week and expending 15 per week is life.

Every little bit does help. :)

Looking at the donation on my end I feel I should let everyone know PayPal does take a cut. I don't know what algorithm PayPal uses but it's quite apparent the lesser the donation the bigger cut they take. Here's how I see them (gross donation, minus fee, net donation).

$1.00 - $0.34 = $0.66 (34% fee)
$5.00 - $0.45 = $4.55 (9% fee)
$10.00 - $0.59 = $9.41 (5.9% fee)
$15.00 - $0.74 = $14.26 (4.9% fee)
$20.00 - $0.88 = $19.12 (4.4% fee)
$40.00 - $1.46 = $38.54 (3.65% fee)

I can understand them taking a percentage so I don't mind that. Thirty four percent on the a dollar though, wow. Feel free donating however much you wish. Personally I'd wait until I had atleast ten bucks budgeted away before pulling the trigger. Use your judgment. :)

Xun

I don't see myself getting back into the game to be honest.

So if anyone wants any of my builds to finish/change, feel free.

-Minsc-

Donated $25. I can't connect to the server though at the moment. :(

21.12 13:37:44 [Disconnect] User Studge has disconnected, reason: Server shutting down
21.12 13:37:44 [Multicraft] Server stopped
21.12 13:37:44 [Multicraft] Looks like a crash, check the server console. Return value: 1
21.12 13:37:44 [Multicraft] Server shut down
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Shutdown Thread/INFO Stopping server
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Watchdog/ERROR This crash report has been saved to: /./crash-reports/crash-2015-12-21_13.37.43-server.txt
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Watchdog/FATAL Considering it to be crashed, server will forcibly shutdown.
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Watchdog/FATAL A single server tick took 60.00 seconds (should be max 0.05)
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] User Authenticator #4/INFO UUID of player Studge is #####
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] User Authenticator #3/INFO UUID of player Studge is #####
21.12 13:35:44 [Multicraft] Studge ran command Message of the Day
21.12 13:35:44 [Server] Server thread/INFO Studge joined the game
21.12 13:35:44 [Connect] User Studge, IP #####
21.12 13:35:43 [Server] User Authenticator #2/INFO UUID of player Studge is #####

Oh my.

I just went and manually started the server. Should be all up and running. :)

-Minsc-

I don't see myself getting back into the game to be honest.

So if anyone wants any of my builds to finish/change, feel free.

Cool. Do you have coordinates to where the builds are? I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking over Disney Land.

Take care and enjoy your new endeavors Otamin.

21.12 13:37:44 [Disconnect] User Studge has disconnected, reason: Server shutting dow
21.12 13:37:44 [Multicraft] Server stoppe
21.12 13:37:44 [Multicraft] Looks like a crash, check the server console. Return value: 1
21.12 13:37:44 [Multicraft] Server shut down
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Shutdown Thread/INFO Stopping server
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Watchdog/ERROR This crash report has been saved to: /./crash-reports/crash-2015-12-21_13.37.43-server.txt
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Watchdog/FATAL Considering it to be crashed, server will forcibly shutdown.
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] Server Watchdog/FATAL A single server tick took 60.00 seconds (should be max 0.05)
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] User Authenticator #4/INFO UUID of player Studge is #####
21.12 13:37:43 [Server] User Authenticator #3/INFO UUID of player Studge is #####
21.12 13:35:44 [Multicraft] Studge ran command Message of the Day
21.12 13:35:44 [Server] Server thread/INFO Studge joined the game
21.12 13:35:44 [Connect] User Studge, IP #####
21.12 13:35:43 [Server] User Authenticator #2/INFO UUID of player Studge is #####

Oh my.

I just went and manually started the server. Should be all up and running. :)
Haha, right when I need to go to bed. Oh well, it'll be there tomorrow. Thanks!

-Minsc-

It seems the server provider is having some issues at the moment for those wondering why the server is down.

Code:
Warning

Your node is currently experiencing problems. If this persists, please open a support ticket.

Error getting player list: It appears your node is currently experiencing difficulties; our technicians are on the job working to repair it!
You can view any planned maintenance here:
https://clients.mcprohosting.com/serverstatus.php
We appreciate your patience as we work to resolve it.

Xun

Cool. Do you have coordinates to where the builds are? I'm sure someone wouldn't mind taking over Disney Land.

Take care and enjoy your new endeavors Otamin.
I'm not sure of the coordinates, but it's not at all far from the Dome City at the south of the map.

Also cheers!

_BtB_

haven't logged onto the server in awhile, mainly because I do not know how to build anything that looks decent lol. But anyway I sent a $10 donation to help out with costs, thx

Randam

downloaded minecraft onto my now Win 10 PC and it is running like crap.
huge frame drops.
never had any problems running it, not even on my old laptop.

anyone got an idea?

-Minsc-

downloaded minecraft onto my now Win 10 PC and it is running like crap.
huge frame drops.
never had any problems running it, not even on my old laptop.

anyone got an idea?

I don't have Window's 10 so I'm not sure. My best advice is to troubleshoot on google and see what you come up with.

I finished a lighthouse build last night that's on a little island in front of my ocean monument. It has redstone lamps at the top that light in a rotating pattern and a 2x2 floor door that opens when you stand on it that drops you into a tunnel that leads to the monument.

I've sunk a good chunk of hours into building this thing and when digging the tunnel from underneath it to my base I discovered that I had built the whole thing one block off center of the ocean monument. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

I'm not gonna rebuild it but damn, I've never done that before and was sure I had it lined up but never actually walked the line to confirm it. Sigh.

Hi all. I played a bit of PS3 and PS4 Minecraft, but I'm new to PC Minecraft. Could I be white listed to have a look at the GAF server? My Minecraft username is "foomfoom".

oneHeero

hey all, is it possible to play on the gad server if I play the PE version? Would my username be the nickname in my options menu?

I downloaded an app to join servers for MCPE

Fuchsdh

hey all, is it possible to play on the gad server if I play the PE version? Would my username be the nickname in my options menu?

I downloaded an app to join servers for MCPE

Pocket Edition is separate from the full-blown PC version, including servers (for now).

EDIT: Merry Christmas guys.

mBZ00bK.png

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
For those of you that have done self-hosted servers, have you had success running on a Raspberry Pi?

And if so, did you use the official server or a different version?

deanote666

Thanks for the info about the update!

Downloading the vita version patch now.

Does anyone else play the vita version? I need someone to throw diamonds at for the trophy, lol. PM me if anyone is interested.

Guessing I need to start a new map for some of the new materials or can they be created from others?

Relating to frame drops above, is it a new map? My vita version gets laggy for the first 10 minutes after I start a new map.

Fuchsdh

Does anyone else play the vita version? I need someone to throw diamonds at for the trophy, lol. PM me if anyone is interested.

Guessing I need to start a new map for some of the new materials or can they be created from others?

Relating to frame drops above, is it a new map? My vita version gets laggy for the first 10 minutes after I start a new map.
Need to make a new map on the non-PC versions, yes. Can't help you on the trophy unfortunately :)

Fuchsdh

Guess I'm going to stop building interiors to my Gaffopolis buildings... the frame rate is beginning to chug nicely on my rig.

Sarcasm

I really only play Minecraft on my vita, haven't touched the pc one in months.

About thy vita patch,

Looking at the update it is pretty nice.

"Enchanting now consumes Lapis Lazuli, and enchanting books can receive multiple enchants at once."

So inorder to do any enchanting at all I need lapis? How many bookshelves at needed? The book thing means I can put it break in and add more enchants on top of existing ones?

"You can use Pumpkins or Wither Skeleton Skulls to spawn Golems and Withers."

Pumpkin heads work for wither?

"Empty Furnaces will now only accept fuel and empty Buckets in the fuel slot."

Why would you put empty buckets?

I would like to get into Redstone more, is their a current guide that people can recommend?

Same with world seed, is there one that people recommend?

I really only play Minecraft on my vita, haven't touched the pc one in months.

About thy vita patch,

Looking at the update it is pretty nice.

"Enchanting now consumes Lapis Lazuli, and enchanting books can receive multiple enchants at once."

So inorder to do any enchanting at all I need lapis? How many bookshelves at needed?
Yes. 15 for level 30 enchants if it's just like PC now.

The book thing means I can put it break in and add more enchants on top of existing ones?
Not sure I understand what you are trying to say here but I think it means it's like PC where you can get extra random enchants sometimes when you enchant books and also combine books on a anvil to get multiple enchants on one book.

"You can use Pumpkins or Wither Skeleton Skulls to spawn Golems and Withers."

Pumpkin heads work for wither?
Probably not. I think their wording is weird.

"Empty Furnaces will now only accept fuel and empty Buckets in the fuel slot."

Why would you put empty buckets?
If you use a lava bucket as fuel it will leave an empty bucket when it's done. I don't think there is a reason to put an empty bucket in by itself but the slot has to be able to handle it.

I would like to get into Redstone more, is their a current guide that people can recommend?
Mumbo Jumbo, xisumavoid, impulseSV, and Tango Tek are all prominent redstoners and have videos on their channels. For basic mechanics of how each redstone component works you should check the minecraft wiki.

Same with world seed, is there one that people recommend?
Bolded

On the pumpkin head/wither skull thing, it's missing the word "respectively" at the end of the sentence. Pumpkins for golems, wither skulls for withers.

deanote666

The new enchantment system is both good and bad.

I think it's harder to get new enchantments since it locks what the next enchantments will be for a certain type of tool.

At the same time, the anvil now has a purpose since it no longer takes 42 levels to repair a pickaxe so you can actually maintain your current equipment.

I've yet to see some rabbits but may need to start a new map. Seeing random patches of raw mutton from wolf attacks though!

Fuchsdh

Is there a reason SMP seems to have a paucity of wolves and cats, btw? Still strikes me aside from the herd Vyktal & co. created at their castle I haven't seen a single one anywhere on Gafland.

Is there a reason SMP seems to have a paucity of wolves and cats, btw? Still strikes me aside from the herd Vyktal & co. created at their castle I haven't seen a single one anywhere on Gafland.
They are only in specific biomes so they are going to be pretty rare. Ocelots a super rare too. On my last server I spent over 2 hours in a jungle and luckily was able to tame 2 of the 3 I saw over that time.

deanote666

They are only in specific biomes so they are going to be pretty rare. Ocelots a super rare too. On my last server I spent over 2 hours in a jungle and luckily was able to tame 2 of the 3 I saw over that time.

Had mine on normal difficulty for a long time and never saw one.

Switched to peaceful after beating the enderdragon solo and now they're everywhere! (I have a fairly large jungle biome)

Top Bottom