• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

Today I went for a swim. With me I was carrying a full set of enchanted iron armour, looting diamond sword, high fortune and silk touch pickaxes, seven diamond and various other mined resources. By habit I nearly typed /home until I realized that command no longer exists. My thoughts briefly shifted to /tp, I quickly decided against it. Evrything melted away. I said, "I accept this.". There was no anger.

If I try a panicky /tp I tend to either suffocate myself or just splatter myself from a great height.

Holkin

I said, "I accept this.". There was no anger.

True minecraft veteran.

About nether. Diamond sword + strength potion should allow you to kill pigmen instantly preventing further alarm transfer. A bit worse option is to make little room and sit here for some time. It will reset only loaded chunks.

Today I went for a swim. With me I was carrying a full set of enchanted iron armour, looting diamond sword, high fortune and silk touch pickaxes, seven diamond and various other mined resources. By habit I nearly typed /home until I realized that command no longer exists. My thoughts briefly shifted to /tp, I quickly decided against it. Evrything melted away. I said, "I accept this.". There was no anger.
And this boys and girls is why you should carry a Fire Resist potion at all times. :(

True minecraft veteran.

About nether. Diamond sword + strength potion should allow you to kill pigmen instantly preventing further alarm transfer. A bit worse option is to make little room and sit here for some time. It will reset only loaded chunks.
I think I might make a "pigman sword" with smite 5 when working around them for this reason. I hit one with a misclick when trying to hit a button to take a minecart and he got me to half a heart before I could get the cart moving under the half slabs. I didn't expect them to hit that hard. After the cart trip they started swarming in from everywhere I I tried to portal out but they followed me though and killed me in the overworld outside the portal. My items went back to the nether so I got them back but then stupidly took the portal without thinking and got murdered again. 2nd time retrieving items I tried to box myself in after picking them up but got swarmed too fast after getting only half the box built. 3 time retrieving them I was able to finish the box and then had to drop down through the floor onto a rail track (thank jeebus for Feather Falling 4) to escape. I lost a F3 E4 U3 pick and some diamond pants which might have actually portaled to the overworld but didn't go looking for them.

Anybody know of some good gameplay tweak mods? I revisited this game during November, and I'm hooked again. I'm mainly looking for mods that either balance the game, or add a fair challenge to it. I also don't mind UI enhancers (i.e. JourneyMap). Not really looking for item packs, but if you know one that really adds to survival, feel free to suggest it! Playing on 1.8, btw.

Fuchsdh

Anybody know of some good gameplay tweak mods? I revisited this game during November, and I'm hooked again. I'm mainly looking for mods that either balance the game, or add a fair challenge to it. I also don't mind UI enhancers (i.e. JourneyMap). Not really looking for item packs, but if you know one that really adds to survival, feel free to suggest it! Playing on 1.8, btw.

Not aware of many that are on 1.8, unfortunately (although I don't do much modding at all so others might know.) There's stuff that makes the hunger mechanic more brutal, add more underground dungeons and create extreme weather conditions for 1.7.10 that might float your boat, though.

It comes from the eventual realization that there are more important things in life than the loss of virtual items.

I should do that. Have one sitting there on my hot bar ready for use.
Having one item with fire protection 4 is also pretty awesome. You can fall in lava and have plenty of time to drink your potion and most times wont need it if you get out right away and regen with some food.

Also, I found the endermen farm. Did the end portal room naturally generate above the stronghold in the middle of the water or was it moved there through creative mod magic or something?

All the water in the end looks awesome btw. There was one space that was uncovered and an enderman had spawned there. I went up to him and he looked around as if to ask "What has happened to my home?"

Fuchsdh

Having one item with fire protection 4 is also pretty awesome. You can fall in lava and have plenty of time to drink your potion and most times wont need it if you get out right away and regen with some food.

Also, I found the endermen farm. Did the end portal room naturally generate above the stronghold in the middle of the water or was it moved there through creative mod magic or something?

All the water in the end looks awesome btw. There was one space that was uncovered and an enderman had spawned there. I went up to him and he looked around as if to ask "What has happened to my home?"

I think the plan is when 1.9 comes out (one day... sigh) we're going to nuke the End and start it fresh for all the new blocks and such.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

We've all been there. It doesn't matter how long you've played the game nor how experienced you are, every now and then the lava will just get mad and take your stuff. Acceptance is the only correct response. :)

Grinchy

Banned
There are times when I get all jazzed up about this game. I install shaders and check into mods that sound interesting, ect.

But I just can't seem to play it anymore. I haven't put in as many hours as many around here have, but I'm at least in the 700ish hour range. I guess playing on servers also makes single player a little less exciting too.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Heh, the Wii U is finally getting Minecraft on Dec. 17th (sans-touchscreen inventory).

Haha, holy hell seriously? Isn't it a bit late to do that now? I wonder which version it's based off of.

I've taken over my ocean monument but wanted a beacon before clearing the whole thing out because insta-mine is a must for such a huge amount of blocks. So, I went farming for wither skulls and got 2 in a little over 2 hours. I figured I'd stop for now and do something else and then killed one more wither skelly as I headed back to my tunnel.

He dropped skull #3. :O

Fuchsdh

I've taken over my ocean monument but wanted a beacon before clearing the whole thing out because insta-mine is a must for such a huge amount of blocks. So, I went farming for wither skulls and got 2 in a little over 2 hours. I figured I'd stop for now and do something else and then killed one more wither skelly as I headed back to my tunnel.

He dropped skull #3. :O

Huzzah :p

The overviewer map is updated as of yesterday if you wanna see what's changed: http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/X6sQ7#/-94/64/64/-12/0/0

zer0das

Banned
Mwhaha... you can see my moat. Unfortunately one edge is obscured by the wall. And another by a large hill. >_<

That dirt tower is probably my doing based on the location. I think I was harvesting wood when I was exploring that quadrant. I think I ran into that torch while mapping stuff too because I vaguely recall thinking "who on earth put this down here?" because the closest settlement was pretty far away, and it was kind of a random location. Or maybe my memory is terrible and I threw it down myself.

zer0das

Banned
The Koopa Keep Textile Company is now in business! Although there isn't a physical store yet, we've decided to open our business! Have you ever wanted high quality wool but not wanted to mess with all the hassle of raising sheep? Fear not! Our koopas and gombas have become skilled herdsmen and artisans and are here to offer you colored wool in bulk! Our prices are as follows:

100 of any color wool for any of the following*:
1. 25 iron
2. 5 gold, 2 iron
3. 1 diamond, 2 iron

Not convinced? Here are some of our reviews:

Koopa Trooper: "I was destitute after Mario stomped on my head and stole my cape. I had lost all hope, but then the Koopa Keep Textile company gave me blankets for my family (I have a wife and three koopalings) and hired me off the street. I was amazed at the quality of the wool, and how well they treated me as a Koopa. I've managed to save up enough money to buy a new flying cape!"

Headbonk Goomba: "My wife has tastes for all the finer things in life. She insisted we use Koopa Keep Textile Company wool, and I was shocked to find out she was completely satisfied with their products! Thanks for making my life a little more tolerable!"

Emissary Chaos: "One the first gifts Bowser gave me upon becoming the ambassador for Koopa Keep was a bale of the finest gray wool. Koopa Keep Textile Company was kind enough to hand alter my cape, and produce a superior woolen aluminum cape! What craftsmanship!!"

We take pre-orders too! And remember every purchase goes towards protecting innocent koopas and goombas from the tyranny of Mario and Luigi. Contact me if you'd like to purchase some wool! Koopa Keep- fufilling Bowser's charter of becoming the world's trade hub, and a bulwark against plumbers.

*Prices subject to adjustment in the future depending on demand. Purchasing wool also contractually obligates you to use it in a building project or in the production of a textile. We realize this stipulation is sort of silly, but we want to make sure our customers use the wool and don't burn it. Who would want to burn it? Well... Mario for one.

**Also please note, initial qualities are somewhat limited. If you order a large quantity (>200), please expect some wait time. Let us know if you want any particular colors! The sooner we know, the faster we can work!

Anyone know who built the pigman farm above the nether? I need to do some enchanting and since it's closer to my portal and faster than the enderman farm I've brought my table and stuff up to the platform. Unless the builder objects I'm just going to leave it all there for people to use. I'll leave an enderchest and some lapis in another chest as well. I've half-slabbed the book shelves to prevent spawns and also added another level of slabs to the railing so you can't jump off.

Fuchsdh

Anyone know who built the pigman farm above the nether? I need to do some enchanting and since it's closer to my portal and faster than the enderman farm I've brought my table and stuff up to the platform. Unless the builder objects I'm just going to leave it all there for people to use. I'll leave an enderchest and some lapis in another chest as well. I've half-slabbed the book shelves to prevent spawns and also added another level of slabs to the railing so you can't jump off.

That was I believe Thorn, but you are probably fine with it.

zer0das

Banned
How about delivery?
2k light blue woold for only 100 gold and 40 iron. Very nice offer.

I can deliver. I'll need directions though. Also you're a bit lucky, I had a lot of surplus light blue wool leftover from making my barn's roof. So your order is ready!

masud

Banned
DUz9Phs.jpg

The green line extension's progressing steadily.

So, the other day (more like weeks ago) I tried to get back to minecraft. But I changed my username from RaiderMX to Sr_Kitsune.

The thing is when I logged in the server for some reason I was underwater, and not in my tunnel. Now I'm about to drown, and I have all my stuff with me, stuff I don't really want to lose...

I can't use neither /home or /spawn.

So...

Can anyone help me out?

I'm somewhere here:
8yQrEy0.png

zer0das

Banned
I could help. Do you know your exact coordinates? x/y/z coordinates? Or your depth? I can at least check the condition of that tunnel to see what might be the matter. I'll head there now and poke around.

Edit: Okay, I left two chests with waterbreathing potions, sugar cane, and torches. If you're super low on health I can get you some golden apples if need be, but I didn't think about that until after I had already dropped my supply crates. So here's some things to guide you:

The orange ellipsis is where I think you likely are- the envelope around the tunnel that has lighting in it. That's the only enclosed place, so if you're not there, I suspect you would just swim straight up no problem. I didn't see any problems with your tunnel flooding. The second screenshot is a photo of me standing in the middle of your tunnel envelope, the highest lit point (aka, a glowstone). I placed one chest 1/4th the way from the bottom, and the other chest 3/4ths the way from the bottom. They're dead center given the width of the tunnel, and are on the sea floor. The third screen shot is facing your tunnel from the ridge to the east of it (underwater). It is possible you are behind that area given your circle, but I doubt you're outside the envelope anywhere to the west of that because it is too shallow.

http://i.imgur.com/hgJROGT.png
http://i.imgur.com/wKGh87V.png
http://i.imgur.com/Nlp8qcc.png

If you don't believe you're in the envelope of your tunnel that is filled with water, I'm going to need a much more exact location (open the game, press f3, then f2, exit out, find the screenshot in your folder), because I didn't see anywhere else obvious that you could be. Also, if you're super duper low on health/breath, I could also just pick up your stuff off your corpse if you don't think you could make it. Last resort obviously, but... I'm in the neighborhood. If my two chests aren't close enough, I've got a third water breathing potion and chest I can drop closer to you if I know where to put it.

-Minsc-

So, the other day (more like weeks ago) I tried to get back to minecraft. But I changed my username from RaiderMX to Sr_Kitsune.

The thing is when I logged in the server for some reason I was underwater, and not in my tunnel. Now I'm about to drown, and I have all my stuff with me, stuff I don't really want to lose...

I can't use neither /home or /spawn.

So...

Can anyone help me out?

I'm somewhere here:
8yQrEy0.png

One thing I can do is switch you to creative mode as soon as you log in. We'd have to coordinate over something like skype. Basically I have the command typed out so I can execute it once you log in. This way I wouldn't to fumble around attempting to type the command as you expire.

Edit: OK, found a better solution. I modified your player data file so when you log in you should spawn at sea level and be in creative mode. This should safely fix your little issue. If for some reason things are still messed up and you lose your gear I do have a copy of your player.dat file so we can easily get everything back.

Thanks a lot, both of you!

The problem was that I wasted a lot of time trying to use /spawn and /home, and when I realized my only hope was swimming to the surface I didn't have enough health/air to make it.
I saved my stuff, went to the spawn at switched back to survival mode. The journey to get back to my island was quite the adventure, lol.

Almost starved to death twice, I didn't find my portal, but ended up on an island that was close to mine, so I swam for like 5 minutes to get back to my island.

-Minsc-

Thanks a lot, both of you!

The problem was that I wasted a lot of time trying to use /spawn and /home, and when I realized my only hope was swimming to the surface I didn't have enough health/air to make it.

I saved my stuff, went to the spawn at switched back to survival mode. The journey to get back to my island was quite the adventure, lol.

Almost starved to death twice, I didn't find my portal, but ended up on an island that was close to mine, so I swam for like 5 minutes to get back to my island.

Out of all this it is safe to say you had an adventure. :)

Progress! I have one spawning pool done for the farm but not much will spawn yet because of all the water left to clear. I wanted to make some hoppers to collect the few things that did drop but had hardly any iron after building my beacon. Funny that iron is more valuable than diamonds at this point, haha.

Fuchsdh

Progress! I have one spawning pool done for the farm but not much will spawn yet because of all the water left to clear. I wanted to make some hoppers to collect the few things that did drop but had hardly any iron after building my beacon. Funny that iron is more valuable than diamonds at this point, haha.

MyIDpqI.jpg

srCkhyS.jpg

If you need iron there's also an iron farm just south of the spawn N/S road you can freely grab from.

If you need iron there's also an iron farm just south of the spawn N/S road you can freely grab from.
Cool. I still need to mine out a ton of space below the monument so I'll run into plenty doing that I'm sure but I love farms so I'll check it out.

I looked at the map around spawn and nothing jumped out. Are there signs or landmarks I should look for?

-Minsc-

Cool. I still need to mine out a ton of space below the monument so I'll run into plenty doing that I'm sure but I love farms so I'll check it out.

I looked at the map around spawn and nothing jumped out. Are there signs or landmarks I should look for?

It's labeled " Iron & Poppy Shop". Head straight south from spawn, past the nether portal First building on the left just outside the cobble wall.

Fuchsdh

If you start on the NeoGAF logo and then head south, you'll pass the Nether portal and the wall, and it'll be in a building on your left. If you go under the great big arching building and hotel, you've gone too far.

Also, GIF time! The expansion of NeoGAF's rail system over the past two years (more might get done in January, or less, but I went for the round number :p)

zer0das

Banned
Out of curiosity, how did you actually clear out the ocean monument? When I was messing around with one, the guardians respawned faster than I could kill them.

masud

Banned

Nice. Have you gotten a chance to check out my (nytonm) guardian grinder yet? It seems like you're going for something similar.

Also is eightcorova stil active? I want to run the green line extension past his (abandoned?) jungle tree house build but I don't know how he wants to do it.

Out of curiosity, how did you actually clear out the ocean monument? When I was messing around with one, the guardians respawned faster than I could kill them.
The elder guardians are the only mobs you can actually clear because they don't respawn and they debuff you with mining fatigue 3 so they have to go before you can do anything else. There are three of them, one in each of the lower side areas and one in the top center.

After they are gone you can box off the monument and use sponge blocks to clear the water. The water will refill though so that's why you need to section it all off and place the sponges fast before it can refill. I have my beacon running resist and regen so I can basically ignore the guardians for now but when I get to the final sections there will be TONS of them spawning in it since it's the only water left. I might have to just fill the final section completely with sand or gravel since I could get insta gibbed if I get zapped by like 30 guardians at once.

One a previous server I also cleared a monument but did it in reverse of what I've done here. On that server I cleared all the water outside the monument first and then went room to room inside to clear water. When I opened the wall to the final room guardians literally exploded out and I could barely stay inside to clear for more than a few seconds.

Nice. Have you gotten a chance to check out my (nytonm) guardian grinder yet? It seems like you're going for something similar.

Also is eightcorova stil active? I want to run the green line extension past his (abandoned?) jungle tree house build but I don't know how he wants to do it.
Not yet but I'll probably check it out when I check out the iron farm since that will be a big journey. I'm modeling mine after xBCrafted's base on hermitcraft 3. Basically using the monument as a base but having spawning areas that lead to a drop shaft where I can kill them with splash potions. If I don't need XP or don't want to hear them flapping around I can turn on a lava blade so they will take a little extra damage and die on impact.

Fuchsdh

Haven't seen him on in probably months at this point. If you just tunnel under it's probably not a big deal.

zer0das

Banned
Yeah, I cleared the elder guardians at a temple pretty easily. The problem is that the other guardians keep spawning so quickly, and it is hard to acquire enough sponges to make a significant dent to the water.

Interesting though. Maybe I'll do something similar to the temple I cleared out one day. But I don't think I have the patience for that any time soon.

Yeah, I cleared the elder guardians at a temple pretty easily. The problem is that the other guardians keep spawning so quickly, and it is hard to acquire enough sponges to make a significant dent to the water.

Interesting though. Maybe I'll do something similar to the temple I cleared out one day. But I don't think I have the patience for that any time soon.
Did you find the sponge room? Each elder drops 1 sponge but most monuments have at least one sponge room with like 25-30 more in it. I raided one monument that had three rooms. They are up on the third level of rooms usually. Just like the outside, you need to section off the rooms and clear them one at a time. With enough sponges it's actually really easy, just time consuming.

zer0das

Banned
Yeah, I found some sponges. Not sure if it is enough. But I guess if you start clearing a small room and then use that as a base of operations, everything gets substantially easier after that point. My main problem is they won't leave me alone when I'm trying to regen in a corner somewhere.

Yeah, I found some sponges. Not sure if it is enough. But I guess if you start clearing a small room and then use that as a base of operations, everything gets substantially easier after that point. My main problem is they won't leave me alone when I'm trying to regen in a corner somewhere.
That's exactly what you do. Block all the entrances to a room and then sponge it out. Rinse and repeat. If you are getting jumped by them you just retreat back to your dry area and they will have a hard time following you.

Also, their attacks are line of sight AND distance based so if you hear the "laser charging" sound you just need to break line of sight or get really close to him and he will cancel his attack or back off. Obviously the more enchanted armor you have the better and Depth Strider 3 and Respiration 3 are a must unless you like pain and frustration.

masud

Banned
I just used invis potions so the gaurdians didn't bother me, after that I used sand and sponges to clear out small sections.

And zerodas I have tons of sponge if you wanna borrow some.
Not yet but I'll probably check it out when I check out the iron farm since that will be a big journey. I'm modeling mine after xBCrafted's base on hermitcraft 3. Basically using the monument as a base but having spawning areas that lead to a drop shaft where I can kill them with splash potions. If I don't need XP or don't want to hear them flapping around I can turn on a lava blade so they will take a little extra damage and die on impact.

Cool, untill I finish the rail extension the best way to get there is through the nether, just use the portal at spawn then take the purple hall to my portal room, go out the back door and follow the torches, fairly safe, short trip.

I just used invis potions so the gaurdians didn't bother me, after that I used sand and sponges to clear out small sections.

And zerodas I have tons of sponge if you wanna borrow some.

Cool, untill I finish the rail extension the best way to get there is through the nether, just use the portal at spawn then take the purple hall to my portal room, go out the back door and follow the torches, fairly safe, short trip.
I thought about this but then realized I couldn't wear my DS 3 boots and just went full armor with Strength 2 pot instead. I two-shot the elders and got the Overkill achievement so it was pretty effective. For later sponge raids I just went in with out the potion and still made it out ok. I found a big part is to keep moving. If you hang around too long the guardians will bunch up and really tear into you.

Thanks for the directions. I'll check it out soon and hopeful not piss off the pigmen again haha.

EDIT: I made a trip to the iron farm and took a few stacks of blocks. I also crafted a bunch of blocks since all the chests were full. I also found my way to the guardian grinder and turned it on but the piston crusher didn't seem to be working right. It would crush for a couple damage ticks and then stop and sometimes not extend at all. Not sure if this is the intended behavior. The lack of a wall holding the water back was awesome looking!

zer0das

Banned
So I realized today I have been sitting on maps to pretty much the entire civilized Minecraft world from west to east.. (not north to south, since those extend quite a bit further), and I haven't really been doing anything with them. And I'm not going to for a while, because I'm waiting until 1.9 to explore any further.

Is there any interest in me making a map board in spawn with copies of all my maps? And if so, does anyone have a suggestion on where to put them? This also has the added side effect of updating all my maps with the stuff people have built recently, if people actually use them.

I'm also probably going to start an infrastructure project where I will start building a network of safe houses at the edges of my currently explored maps. It will make exploring further north/south a lot easier in the future. Especially for things to the far northwest/southeast.

Top Bottom