• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

zer0das

Banned
Is there a reason SMP seems to have a paucity of wolves and cats, btw? Still strikes me aside from the herd Vyktal & co. created at their castle I haven't seen a single one anywhere on Gafland.

There's tons of wolves and ocelots in the northwest. There's at least two or three ocelots roaming in the jungle in the east too, but good luck finding them. There's an ocelot that tends to roam around my portal in Thailand, but it is never around when I have fish.

I have a dog in one of my far flung outposts. There were at least another 2-3 wolves in that area, and I know there's some to the northeast of Thailand too. Wolves tend to be clustered pretty tightly, so unless you explore every inch you're probably never going to see them. Ocelots have way too much foilage to hide in and run, so unless you're lucky or intentionally searching for them, you're not going to see them.

Fuchsdh

There's tons of wolves and ocelots in the northwest. There's at least two or three ocelots roaming in the jungle in the east too, but good luck finding them. There's an ocelot that tends to roam around my portal in Thailand, but it is never around when I have fish.

I have a dog in one of my far flung outposts. There were at least another 2-3 wolves in that area, and I know there's some to the northeast of Thailand too. Wolves tend to be clustered pretty tightly, so unless you explore every inch you're probably never going to see them. Ocelots have way too much foilage to hide in and run, so unless you're lucky or intentionally searching for them, you're not going to see them.

*Plots rails to the west...*

I guess it's kind of moot now that we have creative and I could spawn in a cat or dog if I really wanted to. Honestly I didn't really miss having them, though. I think part of the reason I seek them out in single player is because Creepers are more damaging, and purely that it's pretty damn lonely. The only other things not trying to kill you are a bunch of hrming idiots. That's why servers are the best :)

9 Wither Skulls in ~40min.

The wiki says that with Looting 3 it's a 5.5% chance for a skull to drop and I'm gonna guess I killed between 50 and 75 skeletons in that time.

I posted about getting 2 skulls in a row a while back and thought that was some sweet luck but this is NUTS.

vityaz

So how many players are usually on the gaf server? And do you have any set dates for reset or such? Haven't played for a while, but been thinking on maybe getting into it again...

ps. dynamap not working?

Fuchsdh

So how many players are usually on the gaf server? And do you have any set dates for reset or such? Haven't played for a while, but been thinking on maybe getting into it again...

ps. dynamap not working?

Usually 2-4 of us on evenings EST and on weekends (when I'm around.)

Dynamap got lost with the move to 1.8 and the lack of Bukkit. I've been sporadically updating a similar version here though: http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/X6sQ7#/-94/64/64/-12/0/0 I will be updating that this week too.

-Minsc-

Usually 2-4 of us on evenings EST and on weekends (when I'm around.)

Dynamap got lost with the move to 1.8 and the lack of Bukkit. I've been sporadically updating a similar version here though: http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/X6sQ7#/-94/64/64/-12/0/0 I will be updating that this week too.

There is DynmapForge so I guess it is possible to get it back if somebody wanted to take the initiative. For a Bukkit replacement there is the Sponge API in the works. As of the start of the new year Sponge officially entered beta.

I personally don't want to commit the time to get these things up and running but if someone here wants to take on the task of getting it to work they are free to do so.

masud

Banned

The wiki says that with Looting 3 it's a 5.5% chance for a skull to drop and I'm gonna guess I killed between 50 and 75 skeletons in that time.

I posted about getting 2 skulls in a row a while back and thought that was some sweet luck but this is NUTS.

Where do you farm them? I need a bunch for a hallway and it's taking forever.

deanote666

Took me several hours to get 3 with a Looting 3 sword. I had 3-4 long hallways I patrolled on hard mode and still took that long!

Baby zombies are finally giving out XP after the update too!

Anyone who plays using the Resonant Rise 3 modpack (which I gather is the big one these days, correct me if im wrong though), is there anywhere good you would recommend to learn it? Dont mind if its videos or just a good FAQ. I kind of dropped off Minecraft for a while so the last thing I really learnt was most of the stuff in Tekkit but as I'm getting a new PC at the end of the month I figured I'd try and get back in now that I should be able to run a modpack at comfortable speeds etc.

Fuchsdh

There is DynmapForge so I guess it is possible to get it back if somebody wanted to take the initiative. For a Bukkit replacement there is the Sponge API in the works. As of the start of the new year Sponge officially entered beta.

I personally don't want to commit the time to get these things up and running but if someone here wants to take on the task of getting it to work they are free to do so.

I'd just be afraid of breaking things. Would DynmapForge require people to have Forge clients too? If so that's an instant deal breaker.

Sponge might be cool after waiting a bit for maturity.

In the meantime, updated world map (as of Saturday I believe) is now live:

http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/X6sQ7#/-94/64/64/-12/0/0

The Guardian Grinders look really cool from the isometric perspective :)

Where do you farm them? I need a bunch for a hallway and it's taking forever.

Took me several hours to get 3 with a Looting 3 sword. I had 3-4 long hallways I patrolled on hard mode and still took that long!

Baby zombies are finally giving out XP after the update too!
I found a fort like 400 blocks north of where my portal is in the nether, which is near someones blaze farm north of the 1.8 settlement nether portal area. It's over a lava lake so that cuts down on spawn locations outside the fort and it's big enough that once you clear skellies from one area and run to the other side, non-skelly mobs can despawn. It has lots of non covered crossroads too which are some of the best wither skelly spawn locations and I haven't even increased their size or added new levels to them.

However, good spawn rates doesn't really explain the crazy drop rates I've seen. I have just seemed to be lucky unless someone has increased the drop rate somehow. Of those 9, 3 of them dropped off the first pack of 5 skellies that I killed right as I got there. It's crazy.

Anyone is free to come farm if they are willing make the trip, I only ask that you don't place any torches in the fort since that prevents wither skellies from spawning. I've also left 2 beacons at the fort that give speed 2 and regen/resist to make things a little safer. I fell in lava right under the beacon but the regen mixed with my fire protection 4 saved me.

My base is around -1450, -6969 in the over world (I can't remember how to get there through the nether off the top of my head) and my portal is on the lighthouse island. From the portal in the nether I have added ice paths for fast travel so bring some food. I don't have them marked but one leads to my wither quick kill area, one leads to a ladder down to the other person's tunnel and blaze farm, and the other leads to the fort I farm at. I'll be playing at lunch so I'll add some basic signs with directions and will try and make a proper tunnel connected to the other main nether tunnels soon.

-Minsc-

I'd just be afraid of breaking things. Would DynmapForge require people to have Forge clients too? If so that's an instant deal breaker.

Sponge might be cool after waiting a bit for maturity.

In the meantime, updated world map (as of Saturday I believe) is now live:

http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/X6sQ7#/-94/64/64/-12/0/0

The Guardian Grinders look really cool from the isometric perspective :)

I'm not sure about requiring the a Forge client as it's something I have not looked into, though it's a good bet it would. With Sponge I was thinking the same as you.

Being afraid of breaking things is good. That is why I always messed around on a test server before attempting to do things here. Extensive backups mean the difference between life and death. Even with the test server things didn't always go as planned on the live server. As long as there are backups of the world files and plugins it's possible to rollback as if nothing happened.

Edit:

I was thinking of increasing increasing the world border to give players more new land to explore but looking at the map I can see there is a good chunk of the map yet to be explored. No need for me to get carried away.

I was thinking of increasing increasing the world border to give players more new land to explore but looking at the map I can see there is a good chunk of the map yet to be explored. No need for me to get carried away.
What is the border currently? On the map there are some spots waaaaay out there with blackness all around. The one at 50k, 50k is like 5 GAF lands worth of distance away, haha.

Fuchsdh

That sounds interesting. Are you just going to travel to the border or do something like start out naked and "survive" your way there?

Yeah, I was planning on starting out with nothing at my Sommerhaus build (around X3746, Z0) at the end of the grey line and just head east. Eventually I was thinking I might loop down south and over to the red line, and maybe just do a circuit around the explored territories.

Only thing I'm working on in survival is my Castle build, and I'm getting burned out on it (once again, I make my builds too large), so just wandering around and exploring would be a nice change of pace.

I'm partially waiting for 1.9 just because I have the rails to extend and the creative project at Gaffopolis, and if I'm going adventuring I want those dirt paths :)

-Minsc-

What is the border currently? On the map there are some spots waaaaay out there with blackness all around. The one at 50k, 50k is like 5 GAF lands worth of distance away, haha.

I have it set to +/- 12,000 blocks, centered on 0, 0.

That spot way out there I suspect was either caused by creating a portal in the nether beyond the 1,500 block mark or there was some weird generation glitch.

So, when 1.8 dropped, a new GAF Central type place was built. Any plans for another one once 1.9 comes out?

If you are talking about a new hub area like Spawn or Pioneer then I see not problem with it. The main thing I see is whether or not there are enough people interested in making a new town. Along with a new OT it could be a good way to attract new players and bolster activity once 1.9 finally hits. There are definitely some new regulars who haven't had the opportunity to experience such an event on the server. Even if the spike in players only lasts a week it is a fun time while it lasts.

Fuchsdh

On that note, is Masud or anyone else doing anything in the jungle around 2250, 1550? There's a flattish bit of jungle here that looks perfect for a build inspired by the Vizcaya Estate and there's not a lot of great jungle areas elsewhere (unless I go out to Zero's Thailand, and who wants to build near *that* guy.)

-Minsc-

In other news:

Fuchsdh 705
-Minsc- 687
Crispy75 366
Mengy 360
NihonTiger90 335
Sarcasm 332
Ark 239
Ranger X 223
CharmingCharlie 218
Pandaman 182

I've lost my touch.

masud

Banned
On that note, is Masud or anyone else doing anything in the jungle around 2250, 1550? There's a flattish bit of jungle here that looks perfect for a build inspired by the Vizcaya Estate and there's not a lot of great jungle areas elsewhere (unless I go out to Zero's Thailand, and who wants to build near *that* guy.)

I'd have to log on to see where that is but there are large swaths of unused jungle south of me on the other side of a small ocean.

zer0das

Banned

Obviously no one, the west is still quite wild! At least there aren't serial killers out here. *coughs*

-Minsc-

There was once a place called Sky City.

Sky_City.png

Blizzard

Banned
Nice to see you pop out of the woodwork. :)

Oddly enough I have never watched that movie.
I haven't played in ages, but I remember Minecraft fondly.

Castle in the Sky has particularly gorgeous music and background art. If you don't mind Ghibli films, check it out!

Modsushi

So I've been getting back into Minecraft after neglecting it for a few years. It's an extremely good game to play on one monitor while watching or listening to a favorite twitch screen on another monitor. One thing noticed that's new (at least to me) is the "Minecraft Realms" button on the start menu.

I've got a legacy account (I still login with a username), and I'm wondering if there is anything to lose by updating my account?

Fuchsdh

So I've been getting back into Minecraft after neglecting it for a few years. It's an extremely good game to play on one monitor while watching or listening to a favorite twitch screen on another monitor. One thing noticed that's new (at least to me) is the "Minecraft Realms" button on the start menu.

I've got a legacy account (I still login with a username), and I'm wondering if there is anything to lose by updating my account?

Not to my knowledge. They just streamlined the login process.

Ranger X

In other news:

Fuchsdh 705
-Minsc- 687
Crispy75 366
Mengy 360
NihonTiger90 335
Sarcasm 332
Ark 239
Ranger X 223
CharmingCharlie 218
Pandaman 182

I've lost my touch.

LOL I suspected I wasn't leading this anymore. But to still be in the top there now, that's impressive to me.

zer0das

Banned
Racoonsfordinner: I built a portal in the nether and it connected to the one at your mushroom house (1477, 1637). I put some gravel breadcrumbs in the nether leading north- if you follow them, you'll end up at the hub at Nytonm's branch. The branch leads to the north, which will put you in the eastern wing of the nether hub. If you go west from there (when you first see purple), eventually you'll hit the central hub which is where the spawn portal is. If you're going the right way you'll run into Katzegard and then SD's pit.

If you want me to show you around some other time, I can do that. And we can move your portal to exactly where you want it to. You'll probably want to add an expansion to the tunnel because it is pretty unsafe as is. Just be careful about getting lost, because if you don't know where stuff goes it is easy to get disoriented.

Fuchsdh

Racoonsfordinner: I built a portal in the nether and it connected to the one at your mushroom house (1477, 1637). I put some gravel breadcrumbs in the nether- if you follow them, you'll end up at the hub at Nytonm's branch. The branch leads to the north, which will put you in the eastern wing of the nether hub. If you go west from there (when you first see purple), eventually you'll hit the central hub which is where the spawn portal is. If you're going the right way you'll run into Katzegard and then SD's pit.

If you want me to show you around some other time, I can do that. And we can move your portal to exactly where you want it to. You'll probably want to add an expansion to the tunnel because it is pretty unsafe as is. Just be careful about getting lost, because if you don't know where stuff goes it is easy to get disoriented.

That's why I hate the nether.

I've basically just been getting quartz and glowstone by mining in one direction off a spot I picked out next to the established safe passages. If there's some outcropping too far away I ignore it, otherwise I'd get turned around too easily.

Luckily I'm probably done with 90% of my quartz needs for my current build (and forever.)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I've been getting back into Minecraft after neglecting it for a few years. It's an extremely good game to play on one monitor while watching or listening to a favorite twitch screen on another monitor.

I've been playing Minecraft since June of 2010, and it's still my go to game when I just want to relax or quick play a little something in between other stuff or before I go somewhere. For the past few months I've been playing less than I ever have BUT I still have been dabbling in my single player world a little bit every week. I love to just go out exploring on a horse and searching for new scenic vistas or interesting caves or places.

That said though I made a huge mistake on New Years weekend. I "accidentally" tried out the 1.9 snapshot in a fresh new save, and I've been playing in it ever since. I forgot how much fun it is starting out from nothing and knowing zip about a new world. I think I'm going to retire my single player world of over two years and keep playing this new one, building up a new empire from scratch.

-Minsc-

I've been playing Minecraft since June of 2010, and it's still my go to game when I just want to relax or quick play a little something in between other stuff or before I go somewhere. For the past few months I've been playing less than I ever have BUT I still have been dabbling in my single player world a little bit every week. I love to just go out exploring on a horse and searching for new scenic vistas or interesting caves or places.

That said though I made a huge mistake on New Years weekend. I "accidentally" tried out the 1.9 snapshot in a fresh new save, and I've been playing in it ever since. I forgot how much fun it is starting out from nothing and knowing zip about a new world. I think I'm going to retire my single player world of over two years and keep playing this new one, building up a new empire from scratch.

We know the feeling good sir. :)

Fuchsdh

I dunno, I like a server filled with random stuff, can always go out further if you want to explore virgin territory.

It's actually what I really loved about the tutorial worlds in the console version—there were strongholds and villages, but also castles and manors and random little huts tucked away, ruins of big cathedrals. Having those sorts of things as generating structures would be really cool (although I imagine very difficult to spawn elegantly.)

Crispy75

I dunno, I like a server filled with random stuff, can always go out further if you want to explore virgin territory.

It's actually what I really loved about the tutorial worlds in the console version—there were strongholds and villages, but also castles and manors and random little huts tucked away, ruins of big cathedrals. Having those sorts of things as generating structures would be really cool (although I imagine very difficult to spawn elegantly.)

It's the sort of thing that could be added to the game on a constant basis. You could have a "generative content" team releasing a new algorithm every few weeks. It wouldn't be that hard.

But mojang.

Mengy

I love playing on Neocraft for the community of it, but my favorite aspect to multiplayer Minecraft is simply seeing what everyone else builds. I can literally spend hours just sightseeing! I need to log into the server and have a look around, been awhile.

The thing I hate about playing on the server is the horse lag. I love running around on horses exploring, but it's painful to do on Neocraft. :(

-Minsc-

I love playing on Neocraft for the community of it, but my favorite aspect to multiplayer Minecraft is simply seeing what everyone else builds. I can literally spend hours just sightseeing! I need to log into the server and have a look around, been awhile.

The thing I hate about playing on the server is the horse lag. I love running around on horses exploring, but it's painful to do on Neocraft. :(

It sounds like exploring and finding new sights on NeoCraft is a similar to what you experience in single player. :)

Have you tried the horse since I moved to a new host? Probably still bad but can't hurt to check.

Fuchsdh

It sounds like exploring and finding new sights on NeoCraft is a similar to what you experience in single player. :)

Have you tried the horse since I moved to a new host? Probably still bad but can't hurt to check.

Rikui's always riding his horse over to my place so it can't be horrible :)

Also, Raccoon is building a very cool mushroom house.

Mengy

Rikui's always riding his horse over to my place so it can't be horrible :).

The horses work on the server but they "rubberband" for lack of a better term. Sometimes when the client catches up to the server I find my horse falling down a ravine, LOL.

Is the lag related to horses specifically or is it because you are moving fast? Sprinting with Speed 2 gives me no problems in the Overworld and sprint/jumping in my ice tunnels in the nether is the fastest you can move in the game and I've never had problems there either.

-Minsc-

Do any of the commands work anymore? I signed on a bit Sunday and got horribly lost. Took me about 15 minutes to hit spawn.

We lost things like /home over a year ago when the Bukkit project imploded. Due to this, wanting to upgrade to 1.8, and to make things easier on myself I switched the server to vanilla. There is a teleport command but that isn't available to normal players. At spawn there is a column under which is a command block which issues a command to teleport players to a town started in 1.8 (easy access to the then new diorite, andesite, and granite blocks). The same column also activates command blocks which can switch players between creative and survival modes.

All and all, things are simpler on the server now. That said, beds work. I think. I hope.

We lost things like /home over a year ago when the Bukkit project imploded. Due to this, wanting to upgrade to 1.8, and to make things easier on myself I switched the server to vanilla. There is a teleport command but that isn't available to normal players. At spawn there is a column under which is a command block which issues a command to teleport players to a town started in 1.8 (easy access to the then new diorite, andesite, and granite blocks). The same column also activates command blocks which can switch players between creative and survival modes.

All and all, things are simpler on the server now. That said, beds work. I think. I hope.

Beds work. I remember that much, at least :p

Thanks. At least spawn is always 0,0. As always, I appreciate your hosting and keeping the server going.

Top Bottom