• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

Thanks. At least spawn is always 0,0. As always, I appreciate your hosting and keeping the server going.

I think it's actually closer to -100 -200. 0,0 on the server is marked by some CrispyTower™ along the eastern wall of spawn SE of the main square, near GAF Sur Mer.

-Minsc-

but its close enough for me to recognize where I am. I just had to find someplace famililar to get my bearings. Last time I played I took a 30 minutes cart ride to see the sites, got chased away by a zombie and then lost. Best part, when I /spawn and nothing happened the panic set in.

Lately I've been using 0,0 whenever I want to teleport to spawn since I never seem to remember what the actual coordinates are. It gets the job done.

Anyone know what the view distance for the server is? Like how many chunks are loaded around you. I've built a hostile mob spawner in my base but it rarely spawns stuff, even when I put my guardian spawner on auto-kill mode to keep the number of living hostile mobs low.

My next guess is there are still caves in the area that I haven't lit up yet so that gives me a fun project to work on. I know mobs will despawn at distances >128 but lighting up caves will prevent them from being spawned in the first place I assume.

-Minsc-

Anyone know what the view distance for the server is? Like how many chunks are loaded around you. I've built a hostile mob spawner in my base but it rarely spawns stuff, even when I put my guardian spawner on auto-kill mode to keep the number of living hostile mobs low.

My next guess is there are still caves in the area that I haven't lit up yet so that gives me a fun project to work on. I know mobs will despawn at distances >128 but lighting up caves will prevent them from being spawned in the first place I assume.

The view distance is set to 10 but that has nothing to do with mob spawns. As far as I know hostile mobs despawn at the default 128 mark. I say carry on looking for dark spots. It doesn't take much to kill spawn rates.

The view distance is set to 10 but that has nothing to do with mob spawns. As far as I know hostile mobs despawn at the default 128 mark. I say carry on looking for dark spots. It doesn't take much to kill spawn rates.
Thanks. Yeah, I know the despawn distance is 128 but I read the wiki and it sounded like they could still be spawned outside that distance but then despawned right away, effectively wasting spawn cycle time. Regardless, I'm just going to dig 128 blocks out in all directions from the farm at various heights to make sure I find all the dark places.

Fuchsdh

Updated rail map:

GAFLAND%20Rail%20Map.png

Will make a new upload for the overviewer tonight.

deanote666

I built my mob spawner up in the air, layer 196, to lessen the effect of undiscovered caves. I have 2 layers of 4 17x17 fall damage grinder. Built a garden on top. Made a large structure out of jack-o-lanterns and melons while it was running. Think I used over 2800 combined jack-o-lanterns and melons.

Anyone else with the console version get a save glitch? As in, when you save, the save icon doesn't appear and the game crashes the next time you go to save. And the save where the icon didn't appear doesn't actually save..

Anyone know of a cause? I have the Vita version.

After that last big patch, has anyone noticed any lag? I have rails going underground and the cart goes much slower now, almost stopping after the patch. Was zipping around fast before the patch. It's even slow right after the powered rails on a flat surface.

Fuchsdh

I built my mob spawner up in the air, layer 196, to lessen the effect of undiscovered caves. I have 2 layers of 4 17x17 fall damage grinder. Built a garden on top. Made a large structure out of jack-o-lanterns and melons while it was running. Think I used over 2800 combined jack-o-lanterns and melons.

Anyone else with the console version get a save glitch? As in, when you save, the save icon doesn't appear and the game crashes the next time you go to save. And the save where the icon didn't appear doesn't actually save..

Anyone know of a cause? I have the Vita version.

After that last big patch, has anyone noticed any lag? I have rails going underground and the cart goes much slower now, almost stopping after the patch. Was zipping around fast before the patch. It's even slow right after the powered rails on a flat surface.

Haven't noticed any save or perf issues on the console versions; can't speak to the Vita version unfortunately.

EDIT:

Someone on Reddit put together a comprehensive list of 1.9 changes, now that the first pre-release version of 1.9 is out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/46erg3/the_major_bits_of_19_condensed_for_your_reading/

There was a lot in there (like new lighting options, the mending enchantment to fix my tool woes, the extra new blocks and igloos) I had completely missed.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Anyone running the Windows 10 version of the game?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Anyone running the Windows 10 version of the game?

I've messed around with the W10 version, while it runs great it lacks too many features from the standard version, so I just stick with playing the good old Java client. It's more of a novelty at this point that might someday be worth playing seriously.

I'm honestly super surprised that Microsoft hasn't done more with the franchise since buying it, things have been very quiet since the purchase and the updates have slowed down a lot.

Vlad

I've messed around with the W10 version, while it runs great it lacks too many features from the standard version, so I just stick with playing the good old Java client. It's more of a novelty at this point that might someday be worth playing seriously.

I'm honestly super surprised that Microsoft hasn't done more with the franchise since buying it, things have been very quiet since the purchase and the updates have slowed down a lot.

If anything, I'm guessing that perhaps they're working on a full sequel from the ground up or something along those lines.

Fuchsdh

If anything, I'm guessing that perhaps they're working on a full sequel from the ground up or something along those lines.

No doubt, although I do think at this point their ubiquity is also stymying them—got to produce a PC/Mac version but also Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, XB1, Vita, iOS, Android.

Still, a new PC update coming soon is exciting, especially since I forgot all the stuff that's coming. Sadly, no lecterns probably ever... :(

Ranger X

The additions are interesting. Makes me feel like replaying the game in single player.

One thing though... there was already TONS of mines all over the freaking place removing much fun from spelunking and now there will also be strongholds everywhere. I fear this will kill even more the use and will for exploration and we will always be in some damn stronghold or mine when underground now.... that sounds boring :(

Mengy

They're making a killing on the merchandise and licensing. Who cares about the base game :p

You may be right.

Still, my heart longs for a C++ DX12 client that can render real time shadows, mobile light sources, and draw a view distance four times farther!

Patch 1.9 is pretty cool though, the combat is improved but don't expect anything Dark Souls like, lol.

Fuchsdh

You may be right.

Still, my heart longs for a C++ DX12 client that can render real time shadows, mobile light sources, and draw a view distance four times farther!

Patch 1.9 is pretty cool though, the combat is improved but don't expect anything Dark Souls like, lol.

That sounds horrifying, lol.

Probably the combat differences won't make too much of a difference to me—I'll be interested in seeing how more specialty cases like PvP servers and UHC adapt to drastically larger number of combat options, though.

That sounds horrifying, lol.

Probably the combat differences won't make too much of a difference to me—I'll be interested in seeing how more specialty cases like PvP servers and UHC adapt to drastically larger number of combat options, though.

That is going to be interesting, for sure. I would honestly expect resistance from some folks who want to retain sword spamming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so I haven't played for *ages*, but I logged on and apparantly I dug myself into a hole last time and I'm still there :)

roughly X= -300, Z=-2000 - where would that be on the map? Its cold out..

edit: I remember, I was pisisng about with these crazy tall ice tree/sculptures. Now I see there are two big new houses nearby. and my ender chest is still there full of good stuff. Now if I can remember where my house was.

edit2: Ah, I'm next to Jingle Balls station :p

Fuchsdh

so I haven't played for *ages*, but I logged on and apparantly I dug myself into a hole last time and I'm still there :)

roughly X= -300, Z=-2000 - where would that be on the map? Its cold out..

edit: I remember, I was pisisng about with these crazy tall ice tree/sculptures. Now I see there are two big new houses nearby. and my ender chest is still there full of good stuff. Now if I can remember where my house was.

Looks like you're east of Christmas Town: http://www.minecraftworldmap.com/worlds/X6sQ7#/-500/64/-1939/-4/0/0

deanote666

Question for those with the vita version.

Does backing the data up in the content manager backup the save games as well? I have the digital version.

Fuchsdh

Server details haven't changed have they? (can't log on)

They're whatever's quoted in the OP. Server appears to be up and running fine as of this writing.

This IMGUR album has a pretty great rundown of all the coming 1.9 changes: http://imgur.com/a/MqAJP

And the release date is now set for the 29th: https://twitter.com/seargedp/status/702073074175365120

Question for those with the vita version.

Does backing the data up in the content manager backup the save games as well? I have the digital version.

If you back up the whole application to your computer the saved games are included.

Long time no see :p. Been a while since I have touched minecraft. However I was telling a friend about all that we achieved in the old Neocraft world. Naturally he didn't believe that people were insane enough to build the shit we built and unfortunately his internet isn't fast enough to download the back up of Neocraft I have.

So I did the next best thing. I actually set up a server on my PC so he could join the world and I could show him around. Ah it was a blast, damn the "feels" as I was walking around Neocraft. I took him on a tour of NineFingers Skyrim like village, Dryurievs build which gives us a disturbing insight into his mind and Otamins unfinished Disney castle version 6.0. We ended up in Macksville and he loved our Avatar statues. I must confess I got a lump in my throat looking at all the statues of everyone. Ah I miss you guys.

Right that is my post for 2016 see you guys again in 2017 :p

Mengy

Wow, I need to restart a single player world

I already have, lol! I started a new world in one of the 1.9 snapshots a few weeks ago and have been playing casually ever since. My "main" world was over three years old anyway, it kind of feels good to start anew again.

Ranger X

I already have, lol! I started a new world in one of the 1.9 snapshots a few weeks ago and have been playing casually ever since. My "main" world was over three years old anyway, it kind of feels good to start anew again.

Minecraft forever I guess LOL
I feel like those WOW addicts that are coming back at every update :p

I just bought a new gaming rig and immediately signed onto the GAG server. Been about a week now and every time I've logged i have yet to have anyone else sign on at the same time. I started my own single player world instead to get my itch.

Maybe mods will allow a temporary OT on the main gaming page to try and recruit new blood once 1.9 is released?

Fuchsdh

I just bought a new gaming rig and immediately signed onto the GAG server. Been about a week now and every time I've logged i have yet to have anyone else sign on at the same time. I started my own single player world instead to get my itch.

Maybe mods will allow a temporary OT on the main gaming page to try and recruit new blood once 1.9 is released?

Would be nice. I was thinking of at the very least putting a gaming side thing when 1.9's out and posting our server there.

What time zone are you in? Usually one or two peeps on when I am.

Mengy

How do the 1.9 changes feel, especially the combat?

Honestly, and this is just my opinion from playing a couple dozen hours with the 1.9 snapshots, while they certainly made the combat harder it still feels very much the same to me. The shields are neat but their durability is so crappy that it borders on annoying to me, and they really do block a lot of your view. Skeletons have better AI and are more deadly now, thats cool, and we have neat arrow effects, but actually swinging the sword now with the recovery mechanic it takes more time to kill things, hence the biggest aspect of the "harder" combat IMHO.

So, for me, it's a mixed bag, but it still is squarely Minecraft combat for better or worse and for me at least it really hasn't changed all that much. It might be an entirely different thing in PvP, I wouldn't know how it effects that.

I like a lot of other parts of 1.9 much more than anything combat related, like:

- the new End and Dragon fight
- finally lots of Strongholds per world, not just three anymore
- lightning skeleton traps out in the world!
- dirt paths are sweet
- some new block types for building
- the wings you can glide with
- new boats!!!!!
- new sounds

All of that means more to me than what they improved with the combat, IMHO.

Blizzard

Banned
Fair enough. I did read in the imgur album that they "broke" a couple of things (floating water sources and item elevators), sadly.

Mengy

Fair enough. I did read in the imgur album that they "broke" a couple of things (floating water sources and item elevators), sadly.

Not broke, "fixed" is the word they used. I loved floating water sources personally.

What is the best map editing program right now? I want to chop the edges of my current world off so that I can explore and regenerate them. I want to make sure that I have areas fairly close to my base that have the newest blocks/biomes/etc.

Ranger X

Honestly, and this is just my opinion from playing a couple dozen hours with the 1.9 snapshots, while they certainly made the combat harder it still feels very much the same to me. The shields are neat but their durability is so crappy that it borders on annoying to me, and they really do block a lot of your view. Skeletons have better AI and are more deadly now, thats cool, and we have neat arrow effects, but actually swinging the sword now with the recovery mechanic it takes more time to kill things, hence the biggest aspect of the "harder" combat IMHO.

So, for me, it's a mixed bag, but it still is squarely Minecraft combat for better or worse and for me at least it really hasn't changed all that much. It might be an entirely different thing in PvP, I wouldn't know how it effects that.

I like a lot of other parts of 1.9 much more than anything combat related, like:

- the new End and Dragon fight
- finally lots of Strongholds per world, not just three anymore
- lightning skeleton traps out in the world!
- dirt paths are sweet
- some new block types for building
- the wings you can glide with
- new boats!!!!!
- new sounds

All of that means more to me than what they improved with the combat, IMHO.

I am a huge arrow guy. Do you think it will really is worth the extra time to worry about enchanted arrows and shields?

Top Bottom