• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Hmmm, subbing this thread because I'm getting back into Minecraft. It's been a pretty long vacation and the Win10 version likely won't get these 1.9 features for a while

Any servers of note?

-Minsc-

Hmmm, subbing this thread because I'm getting back into Minecraft. It's been a pretty long vacation and the Win10 version likely won't get these 1.9 features for a while

Any servers of note?

Which version are you looking for a server? I'm in the process of upgrading the NeoCraft server to 1.9. Since I haven't played much anywhere else I don't have a recommendation for another server.

Edit:

We are now 1.9, have fun everyone. :)

Fuchsdh

Which version are you looking for a server? I'm in the process of upgrading the NeoCraft server to 1.9. Since I haven't played much anywhere else I don't have a recommendation for another server.

Edit:

We are now 1.9, have fun everyone. :)

Huzza!

-Minsc-

We were just having and in depth (minor) discussion about The End. Seeing as there are changes to The End it's a good time to reset the place. By my assumption resetting The End meas we'll have to kill the dragon again. If anyone here want's to get together and make a party out of it they are free to do so. Just let me know when you all want to fight the dragon and I'll wipe the old end.

masud

Banned
IC5T52X.png

Lets do this!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Yup.
4.99$ for probably more than 1000 hours clocked in this game.

I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the game but I think it was like $8 US, it was way back during alpha in June 2010 so whatever it cost then. I've never fought the dragon solo but I did it on one of the Neocraft servers, I don't think it was the current one but rather one of the old server maps. I really need to fight it in singleplayer at some point.

Fuchsdh

I don't remember exactly how much I paid for the game but I think it was like $8 US, it was way back during alpha in June 2010 so whatever it cost then. I've never fought the dragon solo but I did it on one of the Neocraft servers, I don't think it was the current one but rather one of the old server maps. I really need to fight it in singleplayer at some point.

Had to fight it on the console version when they added more achievements, and it was definitely frustrating (especially when I tried digging underground to escape and died, so I had to run back into the nether naked and try and grab my stuff :p) but not quite "hard" to me. Sounds like the new dragon is both more difficult and certainly has ore of an endgame around it so that's nice. I assume someone's already working on some sort of farm for the dragon to get the breath.

EDIT:

Good news everyone! The new rain sounds are pleasant and gentle, instead of infuriating and oppressive! Huzzah!

EDIT2:

Also, can someone explain how to dual-wield? Zero and I were stumped :|

CONCH0BAR

Had to fight it on the console version when they added more achievements, and it was definitely frustrating (especially when I tried digging underground to escape and died, so I had to run back into the nether naked and try and grab my stuff :p) but not quite "hard" to me. Sounds like the new dragon is both more difficult and certainly has ore of an endgame around it so that's nice. I assume someone's already working on some sort of farm for the dragon to get the breath.

EDIT:

Good news everyone! The new rain sounds are pleasant and gentle, instead of infuriating and oppressive! Huzzah!

EDIT2:

Also, can someone explain how to dual-wield? Zero and I were stumped :|

• The new off-hand slot can be found on the character/inventory page, to the right of the character.
  • Items in the off-hand can be activated by pressing mouse button 2.
  • Off-hand items cannot be used for attacking or breaking; the main function of dual wielding is receiving the benefits of the use-ability from off-hand items. Uses include blocking with the new shield item, using potions or food, and placing torches.
  • You can also till land with off-hand hoes and create paths (new feature!) with off-hand shovels.
  • Press F to switch what's in your main hand and off-hand.

Fuchsdh

Ok guys, I started a poll with times for this weekend, so go in and fill your times (if I did it right it should auto-fix the times to your zone, but if not it's Eastern (EST) or UTC-5.

http://doodle.com/poll/krmfuak53tzag6ay

EDIT: looks like you can change it on the right. There's three days of time options so make sure to look them all over.

Fuchsdh

Is there an archive/backup we can download of Neocraft? Would be interested to play around with a complex world but not online.

But online's where the fun is :)

The world is at this point 2.5 gigs... can see about offering it as a Dropbox link to download.

We're on 1.9. If your MC name is Wyndstryker, you're whitelisted. If it's not, I'll need your MC username.

Yup my id is Wyndstryker. Been wanting to get back into MC but remaking another single player world bores the hell out of me. Need to get back online.

NH Apache

Banned
Just wanted to say that the server is beautiful and the rail car is an ingenious way of looking at all the great work. Thanks again for having us on.

Nekofrog

Banned
So I bought Minecraft 5 years ago on a whim and only played it a handful of time. I wanted to come back and play it as something to do after my wife has gone to bed but a number of things stopped me.

1. As I understand it, the old username system was migrated to an email account system at some point? Ok. Created new account, tried to migrate my username, it says it did, but nothing.

2. Logging in with my mojang account or whatever doesn't show my old purchase.

3. Can't straight up log in with my old username and password.

4. Can't get any password resets to go through for my old username (emails never arrive to the address I used to buy it 5 years ago).

I submitted a ticket with my purchase number as they asked, but it's been quite a while and no response. Decided to post here to see if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing.

-Minsc-

So I bought Minecraft 5 years ago on a whim and only played it a handful of time. I wanted to come back and play it as something to do after my wife has gone to bed but a number of things stopped me.

1. As I understand it, the old username system was migrated to an email account system at some point? Ok. Created new account, tried to migrate my username, it says it did, but nothing.

4. Can't get any password resets to go through for my old username (emails never arrive to the address I used to buy it 5 years ago).

I submitted a ticket with my purchase number as they asked, but it's been quite a while and no response. Decided to post here to see if anyone knows anything about this kind of thing.

Try logging in with the email address tied to your account as the username. That's what I use.

Sarcasm

You have to use your old log in info and then migrate it to the new system.

andylsun

New gliding wings elytra work on the servers fine. In the snapshots it would cause 'player moved too fast' but they've fixed it. It's ace.

Edit: Can't log onto the neogaf server, reports connection refused.

zer0das

Banned
Meh, not a fan of this patch. It is exceptionally difficult to survive at night now outside of lighted areas, because the cooldown decreases your damage so much. Can't even kill one creeper when there's like a dozen things trying to kill me and the respawn rate of enemies is like Dying Light DLC levels of stupid. The shield is close to pointless when the spawn rate is so high. So that pretty much kills my desire to explore anywhere, because it was already easy enough to die by being a dummy. I suppose I could just hole up and play safe every night, but I'd rather not. So I think I'm just done.

Ranger X

Meh, not a fan of this patch. It is exceptionally difficult to survive at night now outside of lighted areas, because the cooldown decreases your damage so much. Can't even kill one creeper when there's like a dozen things trying to kill me and the respawn rate of enemies is like Dying Light DLC levels of stupid. The shield is close to pointless when the spawn rate is so high. So that pretty much kills my desire to explore anywhere, because it was already easy enough to die by being a dummy. I suppose I could just hole up and play safe every night, but I'd rather not. So I think I'm just done.

That bad?
I already wasn't playing at night in this game since there are beds. Night is never a problem at least in single player.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been experiencing for the past few weeks. You can't kill creepers fast enough in 1.9 due to the "sword cooldown" so you just have to avoid them or kill them with bows from distance or they will definitely blow up in your face. Skeletons move away from you and their arrows knock you back so the only way to kill them with melee now is to use the shield and slowly crawl up to them, BUT if you have lots of other monsters around you that becomes impossible. AND the shields lose durability so fast that you eat through them like a hot knife through butter when fighting many mobs.

They made combat more difficult by making it tedious and less fun IMHO. I think I prefer the old combat system honestly, LOL. And I'm amazed that I'm actually saying that.

Maybe some will mod it to be better....

Fuchsdh

I try never to go out at night so it won't make much of a difference, although I'll probably have to start carrying around a bow as opposed to kamikaze hack-and-slash.

If you haven't filled out the Doodle poll with times you're available this weekend to slay the Ender Dragon, go and do so: http://doodle.com/poll/krmfuak53tzag6ay

Ranger X

Yeah, that's exactly what I've been experiencing for the past few weeks. You can't kill creepers fast enough in 1.9 due to the "sword cooldown" so you just have to avoid them or kill them with bows from distance or they will definitely blow up in your face. Skeletons move away from you and their arrows knock you back so the only way to kill them with melee now is to use the shield and slowly crawl up to them, BUT if you have lots of other monsters around you that becomes impossible. AND the shields lose durability so fast that you eat through them like a hot knife through butter when fighting many mobs.

They made combat more difficult by making it tedious and less fun IMHO. I think I prefer the old combat system honestly, LOL. And I'm amazed that I'm actually saying that.

Maybe some will mod it to be better....

Am not sure about this though. This game was supposed to have tuff combat and over time it became piss easy (at least to me). I welcome back the challenge and changes of approach regarding combat. It might be unbalanced (I did not experience it enough yet) but I wonder if the problem isn't more related to our habits of playing rather than the fact the combat became better or worse. I guess its just "different" and adapting our play style might be fun. Well, we'll see.

Well, the server is set on hard, so now it's actually hard. You pretty much have to be crazy to take on a group on monsters without a plan. Makes surviving actually worthwhile.

Personally I like the changes to combat. Creepers are still easy when they're solo. Swing one, run back, then swing again.

1.9!

Guess I'll have to get on and fix all my item elevators as I hear they are broken now. :(

That's probably the worst "fix" of this update IMO.

I won't be available this weekend to fight the dragon but that's ok. Are we going to allow respawning it or keep the whole thing cleared for an Enderman farm?

Fuchsdh

1.9!

Guess I'll have to get on and fix all my item elevators as I hear they are broken now. :(

That's probably the worst "fix" of this update IMO.

I won't be available this weekend to fight the dragon but that's ok. Are we going to allow respawning it or keep the whole thing cleared for an Enderman farm?

Presumably since there's all the extra room and there's now an easier way to respawn the dragon we can allow both.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The thing I hate about the shields is that I have to keep unequipping them to use my tools that have right-click functions. And they're so big they block too much of my view when I'm just building. It's like only useful for combat but the only time I get combat is when I stay up too late and forget about night and something sneaks in. In which case I can't equip my shield in time anyway and just take damage while swinging wildly at the enemy who now takes more hits and always gets his own in anyway.

Thankfully I'm pretty much invincible with my armor and fast healing ability that even a Creeper in my face can't kill me, but still.

I don't like the combat. Combat needs tweaking. I think that the weapon should also have a slot in the equipment section so it can be off the Hotbar, then keep the combat part of the game separate from the combat and have a hotkey to switch between the modes on the fly.

But I do like all the new stuff added so that's good.

Except for dirt paths which are buggy in that you can't put anything directly over them, including signs attached to walls or fence gates, even when that entity doesn't even touch the ground anyway. This needs to be fixed.

I just hope updates aren't going to take this long from now on. 1.8 came out in September 2014. It took over a year and almost a half to get us 1.9. I'd rather they put out smaller updates every 3-4 months with extra blocks, enemies or items just to keep the flow going. And do major updates, like ones that bring bigger stuff, on a separate schedule.

The thing I hate about the shields is that I have to keep unequipping them to use my tools that have right-click functions. And they're so big they block too much of my view when I'm just building. It's like only useful for combat but the only time I get combat is when I stay up too late and forget about night and something sneaks in. In which case I can't equip my shield in time anyway and just take damage while swinging wildly at the enemy who now takes more hits and always gets his own in anyway.

If you didn't catch this change, pressing F swaps whatever's in your hotbar with whatever's in your offhand. :)

Top Bottom