• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Grinchy

Banned
Thanks to CC for getting me added to the server. My gosh you guys have built some cool stuff. Where can a long timer just coming back to the game after a year or so off, go setup up a camp on the server?

Go to Gafland (assuming you haven't gone there yet). It's very open and fresh, you can really build anywhere so far. To get there you type /mv tp gafland

My hermit tendencies are kicking in and I am already feeling like picking up my valuables and moving far away from spawn in gafland. Leaving my build so far as a walmart corpse build. Trying something not mountainous for once.

bengraven

You know, I'm kind of burned out right now on single player.

When I first got the game, I played single player for 6 months straight, never losing momentum. I then played another year of multiplayer, which rarely got dull (except a couple of times our server died and I had to find another). Then I get back into it hardcore the last six months after I lose my internet connection (long story) and start playing creative.

So I kind of feel like I've spent 3 years exploring the three biggest facets of this game. Sure, I never got to The End and I never played with switches and I'd like to get back into multi when we get a new place......but man, I really want to get back in but I feel like it's just kind of stale at the moment. Worse thing is seeing games with the "sandvox" like experience coming out that I worry might overshadow it (Starbound, EQN, maybe Cubeworld when we get the actual game...).

I think I need a really really good update.

belushy

Banned
My hermit tendencies are kicking in and I am already feeling like picking up my valuables and moving far away from spawn in gafland. Leaving my build so far as a walmart corpse build. Trying something not mountainous for once.

Lol, I'm the same way. I can't stay in one place all the time. I love exploring. Found a neat Snowy Island far to the east and I think I'm going to move there. Though I'm sure after I build a small house I already want to move again lol

Yeah belu i found an island far west of everything and found a village. then typed /home instead of /sethome. now i have to make my way back.

masud

Banned
So I'm thinking about making a zombie pigman spawner (maybe grinder too) in the over world. Would all the nether portals mess with the ones we already have? Shouldn't right?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
So I'm thinking about making a zombie pigman spawner (maybe grinder too) in the over world. Would all the nether portals mess with the ones we already have? Shouldn't right?
they wouldnt.
would be a lag monster though.

Seanspeed

Banned
You know, I'm kind of burned out right now on single player.

When I first got the game, I played single player for 6 months straight, never losing momentum. I then played another year of multiplayer, which rarely got dull (except a couple of times our server died and I had to find another). Then I get back into it hardcore the last six months after I lose my internet connection (long story) and start playing creative.

So I kind of feel like I've spent 3 years exploring the three biggest facets of this game. Sure, I never got to The End and I never played with switches and I'd like to get back into multi when we get a new place......but man, I really want to get back in but I feel like it's just kind of stale at the moment. Worse thing is seeing games with the "sandvox" like experience coming out that I worry might overshadow it (Starbound, EQN, maybe Cubeworld when we get the actual game...).

I think I need a really really good update.
Maybe try some of the tech mods?

By the way, at the Victoria&Albert in London, they're having a free Minecraft exposition next Friday. I'm gonna be checking it out if anybody else is interested.

belushy

Banned
Yeah belu i found an island far west of everything and found a village. then typed /home instead of /sethome. now i have to make my way back.

Yep same! I set home on my island as well. Now I'm making a nether expressway for Spawn, my Desert Temple, and then my Snow Island lol very tedious. Glad I have a silk touch for ice though so I can do the quick ice paths.

Hi guys. A friend gave me the game earlier today and, before I start my own world, I took a look at the NeoCraft world for some inspiration. Holy crap. I was only there for 5 minutes looking at stuff before I got overwhelmed and just left. Hahaha. I hope to join you guys to play in the near future once I get the hang of it.

-Minsc-

Hi guys. A friend gave me the game earlier today and, before I start my own world, I took a look at the NeoCraft world for some inspiration. Holy crap. I was only there for 5 minutes looking at stuff before I got overwhelmed and just left. Hahaha. I hope to join you guys to play in the near future once I get the hang of it.

Ha ha. We should have this message at spawn.

"Warning: New players to Minecraft, turn around and go back to single player. Go have fun, experiment, and discover the game on your own. Seriously, walking around this server will cause your senses to be overwhelmed by so much awesome you'll experience a sensational ecstasy followed by a deep emotional depression over the false realization that you'll never be this awesome."

I'm glad I started out in single player. The sense of discovery, the lack of pressure to keep up with everyone else. Good times. Anything I built was complete and utter shit, still good times though. ;P

I wouldnt bother with the overworld design. Build one in the nether. It is possible to get on top of the bedrock of the nether and build highly efficient gold farms there,

This is a good overview video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-h0goQZvso

Well that's kinda lame. Building a farm on a survival server, put in the hard work and slab that nether.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Qn6g8KG.jpg

Second beacon on the server [to my knowledge], the scourge known as andyj89 built his beacon a few hours before mine.

first complete beacon though. [to my knowledge]

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh I broke the server and with Ark being away for 8 days. No no there is no need to thank me, it was just the insistent nagging to get the end working that forced me too :p

MackVee

Neo Member
Awwww, what? That's bloody stupid. I'm sorry. :(

Try renaming the end back to it's original name?

Edit: It's my fault, all fist waving and abuse be directed at me.

Ok it seems to be working again. You see, you see this is why I say "don't ask me to do clever shit". Whenever I try to do clever shit it hits the fan. I can barely add someone to the whitelist without making the server go off line for 4 hours. I need a whiskey.

Anyway lets pretend this DID NOT happen, no one tell Ark. I mean Ark doesn't need to know about this, you know what he doesn't know or find out won't hurt him. So this will our "dirty little secret" or I will be smiting anyone that tells him.

Grinchy

Banned
I want to keep this a secret, but my mind is very focused. I imagine I could distract my brain enough to keep me from telling Ark about this if there were something shiny in front of me, but I can't think of anything sparkly and shiny other than, oh I don't know, a stack of diamonds.

belushy

Banned
Got another eff 4, unbreaking 3, Silk touch pick if anyone wants to trade.

edit: Seriously, I've never had this much luck with getting Silk Touch in previous servers/ssp worlds. 3 or 4 so far I think.

Wired

edit: Seriously, I've never had this much luck with getting Silk Touch in previous servers/ssp worlds. 3 or 4 so far I think.

Lucky bastard all I get are heaps of fortunes. Which is good but bloody hell I only need one minecraft, one is enough :p

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Lucky bastard all I get are heaps of fortunes. Which is good but bloody hell I only need one minecraft, one is enough :p

What do you all use your silk touch picks for? I usually groan when I get a second or third silk touch pick. The only thing I use them for is tearing glass back down, so my diamond silk picks last for freakin ever.

I want to keep this a secret, but my mind is very focused. I imagine I could distract my brain enough to keep me from telling Ark about this if there were something shiny in front of me, but I can't think of anything sparkly and shiny other than, oh I don't know, a stack of diamonds.

You know what else is shiny ? I will tell you, a brand spanking new crowbar coming at extreme velocity to the facial area. Trust me that is very shiny and far more of a "inducement" than diamonds ;-)

Ohhhh, now I must know what exactly transpired so I know what not to tell Ark.

OK I memorised the chat log and blatantly changed it so it puts me in a good light so here is what transpired. I have changed the names to protect certain identities and I am putting it in spoilers so Ark doesn't find out (he will never think to highlight the spoiler).

Chat Log
CharmingCharlie > Hey there you fine gorgeous people, it is wonderful to be here again
Dickroid > ohhhhhhhh god it's him again
Tirk > Oy you M***** F***** fix the end zone you dick
CharmingCharlie > whilst I would love to fix the end zone I believe it would be inappropriate for me to interfere with Arks fine server.
Tirk > stop being a lame twat and fix it any retard can do it, you saying you are dumber than a retard ?
cockurup > Mac Walters is a genius and I want to probe uranus.
Dickroid > Charlie is an idiot, Charlie is an idiot.
CharmingCharlie > whilst I appreciate your wonderful enthusiasm I believe the best course of action would be to wait for Ark to remedy the situation.
cockurup > I am a pink lady boy volus vanguard lover.
Tirk > Charlie do it or I kill your dog.
CharmingCharlie > Gentlemen I must decline your repeated requests.
Tirk > Charlie you are a moronic useless git
Tirk logs out
Dickroid > Jesus, Charlie just rename the god damn world from gafland_end to gafland_the_end. It is that simple even a moron like you can do it.
CharmingCharlie > Ok ok I will do so
CharmingCharlie > Ok I have renamed the file .......... what the hell
Server log > explosion imminent
Server log > any unsaved progress will be lost in the resulting explosion
Server log > any saved progress will be lost too cos minecraft is a shitty java game with absolutely sod all in the way of online management tools.
server log > server now conveniently forgetting all the work you did in the last hour
Server log > this is all CharmingCharlies fault he is such a dick.
Server log > tell my zx spectrum mother I love her

Meanwhile as I looked to the south and saw the smoking ruins of multiplay (oddly enough the smoke looked like it was saying "charlie did this, what a dick") the first thought in my mind was "fuck who can I stitch up for this, I aint taking the fall". I did think of making it look like Mengy had done it, after all he is a terrible mod.

But it all came good in the end all that was lost was some boxer shorts that are now unwashable and we all learnt a very good lesson which is "don't ask me to do shit". Now remember no one tell Ark.

So yeah that is exactly what happened, word for word and I have ensured the server logs reflect this should Ark ever look at them.

Mengy

Meanwhile as I looked to the south and saw the smoking ruins of multiplay (oddly enough the smoke looked like it was saying "charlie did this, what a dick") the first thought in my mind was "fuck who can I stitch up for this, I aint taking the fall". I did think of making it look like Mengy had done it, after all he is a terrible mod.

Nah, if I had done it, then it would have worked perfectly.

:D

belushy

Banned
What do you all use your silk touch picks for? I usually groan when I get a second or third silk touch pick. The only thing I use them for is tearing glass back down, so my diamond silk picks last for freakin ever.

Well I usually use silk touch to gather up just the ore versions of Diamond, Redstone, Lapis, and Coal. I store it up all nice and big in chests and then mine it all at once when I get a fortune pick. I also used it to pick up some mycilliem and to gather a crap ton of ice for my Nether express way.

I do have a fortune 3 pick, but it is Iron and already almost half way dead after a few uses :(

edit: Also if anyone does want it, I'll trade for a bunch of Clay Blocks :)

Mirk

So after looking at mine it went like:

Chat Log

ClumsyCharlie > Jesus fuck I can't believe all of you would rather play this game, rather than just stare at my awesome Domes!!
Awesomeroid was blown up by a creeper
Mirk > Hey Charlie is the end still broke?
ClumsyCharlie > How would I know, is there a Dome in the end?!?!
Mirk > With Ark being gone I could help you get it fixed if you want :D
cockurup > Mac Walters is a genius and I want to probe uranus.
Awesomeroid has been shot by a skeleton
ClumsyCharlie > FUCK the end!
cockurup > I am a pink lady boy volus vanguard lover.
Mirk > Damn man alright no need to get all upset.
ClumsyCharlie > I am not upset, if I even look at the sever files they break, I have no clue why Ark gave me access.
Mirk > Ah I am sure you could do it! You're great Charlie, But I have to go get lunch bbl.
Mirk logs out

This is what I assume happened because I was gone then.

Awsomeroid > But Charlie you could build a Dome in the End!!!!!
Awsomeroid fell from a great height
ClumsyCharlie > OMG I could it would be the BEST Dome of DOMES!!!! AHAHAHAHAH
ClumsyCharlie > BRB

Anybody have any recommendations for server hosting? Tried creeper and fragnet before won't go back.

I've been with minecraftserverhost.net for about a year and a half, and it's been pretty smooth sailing. They're not the cheapest, though - but then you get what you pay for.

-Minsc-

The lack of mobs in gafland is making me soft. I'm afraid to go back to my spam game...

Last week I started up a new map on Hard. Holy shit Batman! It makes me agree more and more with mengy and have creeper damage off. I can see the fun in that.

Mengy

Last week I started up a new map on Hard. Holy shit Batman! It makes me agree more and more with mengy and have creeper damage off. I can see the fun in that.

Yeah, I love having creeper damage on. Sure on a multiplayer map it can grief players and damage stuff while they aren't there, but it's a game about building things out of blocks. Just repair it!

No matter how much I love playing online, I always end up playing my SMP worlds regularly because it's just more exciting and dangerous for me.

Although I do plan on playing on Neocraft a lot this coming weekend, things to build...

EVIL

Yeah, I love having creeper damage on. Sure on a multiplayer map it can grief players and damage stuff while they aren't there, but it's a game about building things out of blocks. Just repair it!

No matter how much I love playing online, I always end up playing my SMP worlds regularly because it's just more exciting and dangerous for me.

Although I do plan on playing on Neocraft a lot this coming weekend, things to build...

I hate it when I finish a building, with just enough materials and there comes mister creeper and blasts a giant hole in my intricate wall design. plus having a pockmarked earth looks horrible. nobody want to keep grabbing dirt and refill those holes. Keep it off on neogaf

Seanspeed

Banned
I hate it when I finish a building, with just enough materials and there comes mister creeper and blasts a giant hole in my intricate wall design. plus having a pockmarked earth looks horrible. nobody want to keep grabbing dirt and refill those holes. Keep it off on neogaf
Don't keep getting blown up by creepers.

Mengy

Don't keep getting blown up by creepers.

Yeah, and that in a nutshell is what appeals to me more in my SMP world versus online. I like the added risk of having to deal with things that can affect my world. You need to be on your toes if you don't want your stuff blown up, and that added tension just makes the game so much more fun for me. I don't want creepers blowing my shit up, so I'm careful. Plus, I also don't mind patching up dirt holes that I don't want to look at. And I can't even count the number of times that I've discovered a hidden cave or a ravine due to a creeper exploding. I guess I just find it fun.

But I understand that not everyone does.

Viewing the bottom of the ocean with a Respiration III helmet is really something else. It's so clear.

Yeah, I've taken to diving quite a bit since they added that great feature to Respiration. I even get most of my sand from the ocean floors now, and it's amazing how much clay you can find with a clear view underwater. Now I wish we had a faster way of traveling underwater, like a sea horse to ride on or something.

-Minsc-

I do understand it's hard to please everyone in play styles on a semi-public server. This is why we need thirty different worlds so we can keep everyone happy. :D

BTW Mengy, isn't SMP Survival Multiplayer. ;)

It would be cool if beacons would ward off mobs. The way you could have village safe zones while still having to deal with creepers out on the fringe.

My only gripe with that helmet is that I got Protection III instead of Aqua Affinity. But oh well; it'll still be handy for either grabbing things off the ocean floor, or building down there. (Still haven't decided what kind of house/castle I want... I wanna move out of my crappy cube-in-the-ground soon, though.)

In other news, I just noticed that the OP claims Minecraft is still in Beta. I mean, I suppose to some degree it is, but...

Top Bottom