• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
My only gripe with that helmet is that I got Protection III instead of Aqua Affinity. But oh well; it'll still be handy for either grabbing things off the ocean floor, or building down there. (Still haven't decided what kind of house/castle I want... I wanna move out of my crappy cube-in-the-ground soon, though.)

In other news, I just noticed that the OP claims Minecraft is still in Beta. I mean, I suppose to some degree it is, but...

you can get aqua affinity on a book fairly easily. ive got a couple books of it on gafland.

defel

Just heard Dinnerbone say that nametags will be also be acquirable by....wait for it....fishing! (rare chance)

I frequently forget fishing is even a thing in this game. Tend to eat only pork or steak (although lately I've been going for a lot of bread, since I haven't set up a pig or cow farm anywhere).

Ark

Those chat logs are gold, gave me a good laugh :p

I won't be able to tinker with the server until the 3rd, so if the end is still not working, it won't be fixed until then. Same goes for getting the mob spawning fixed, I forgot to do that before I left.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
New Blog post about the new biomes :D

https://mojang.com/2013/08/minecraft-world-generator-update/

but no new screenies :(

I hope we don't see Jungles or deserts just adjacent to snow biomes ever again :mad:

I really never minded snow biomes next to deserts and such, I mean Minecraft isn't super realistic anyway so it just didn't bother me. However, all of the changes for 1.7 sound fantastic. I hope we see a lot more variation within the biomes, like snowy plains, mountain swamps, flat deserts, etc.

I kind of want to start another new world again after 1.7 hits, but damn I have started over like a couple dozen times already. I think instead I may just pick a direction in the nether and run a couple thousand blocks, and then pop out of a portal. Maybe I'll start the New World Nether Rail Line awhile, so that it's ready to go once 1.7 hits...

Sarcasm

I really never minded snow biomes next to deserts and such, I mean Minecraft isn't super realistic anyway so it just didn't bother me. However, all of the changes for 1.7 sound fantastic. I hope we see a lot more variation within the biomes, like snowy plains, mountain swamps, flat deserts, etc.

I kind of want to start another new world again after 1.7 hits, but damn I have started over like a couple dozen times already. I think instead I may just pick a direction in the nether and run a couple thousand blocks, and then pop out of a portal. Maybe I'll start the New World Nether Rail Line awhile, so that it's ready to go once 1.7 hits...

Should have added biomes o'plenty than you wouldn't need to wait for 1.7 =D

Mengy

Should have added biomes o'plenty than you wouldn't need to wait for 1.7 =D

You know, I've never really delved into mods at all, but I read something the other day that intrigued me enough to read the OT for Biomes O Plenty, and Holy Shit. That mod adds so much to the game that its frankly astounding. I love the exploration aspect to Minecraft, and I wish that the game had that mod built in.

I'm sure BoP will be getting changed a bit once 1.7 hits. It will be interesting to see how it changes.

woolley

Meh. I tried BoP for a while and didn't like it. It just seems like too much and most of the biomes that I came across are places that I would never want to spend any time in and I also feel like the mod made it harder to find the normal in game things like villages, temples and sometimes even horses.

And then there is the small things like too much tall grass and some of the trees just being a mix of already existing trees so you wouldn't actually be able to grow them yourself.

Meh. I tried BoP for a while and didn't like it. It just seems like too much and most of the biomes that I came across are places that I would never want to spend any time in and I also feel like the mod made it harder to find the normal in game things like villages, temples and sometimes even horses.

And then there is the small things like too much tall grass and some of the trees just being a mix of already existing trees so you wouldn't actually be able to grow them yourself.

i think ExtrabiomesXL is much better than BoP. there are fewer biomes but they seem better in terms of quality and usefulness. it never seemed to mess with villages and temples either, and if i'm not mistaken comes with new trees that you can grow yourself.

my world is basically Vanilla + ExtrabiomesXL + Mo'creatures. also i cant recommend mo'creatures enough, makes the world feel way less empty.

Sarcasm

I really hate ExtreBiomes..especially when I was playing Mindcrack. EIther the biomes were pretty much the same or the randomness formula was broken. Most of the biomes weren't different in XL.

http://imgur.com/a/quwSl
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1495041-162-forge-biomes-o-plenty-v062-no-more-terrain-stripes/

BoP has a diverse generation that I didn't see in XL. My favorites are Orchard (real apples trees..right click for apples and they grow back..no need to destroy the tree) and mystic grove (magic-vibe and witches spawn at night).

Mesa is nice. Hot springs with its water that replenishes you. Than you got some ugly ones.

What I like about BoP it adds a freakin lot of biomes and items (and some annoying mobs like jungle spiders). It has variety. XL may be better now but in 1.4.7 it sucked. XL Couild be better in 1.5.2..I don't know it left a sour taste in my mouth and atm its not for 1.6.2.

I really hate ExtreBiomes..especially when I was playing Mindcrack. EIther the biomes were pretty much the same or the randomness formula was broken. Most of the biomes weren't different in XL.

im not sure what you mean? the biomes are way different. unless im thinking of a different biomes mod. might be, haven't played on my world in a while lol.

kidko

Well, those screenshots are deceiving.
We FINALLY had oceans and they want to remove them? This whole thing sounds like they will actually worsen the world generator. That's nice. :/

I have to agree. I'm always up for adding new things but killing oceans isn't the best. This should at least be an option to enable/disable.

Ranger X

Another option I would really like to see is to limit the world size.
That would be awesome if you want the feeling to have "mastered" or completely "exploited" some world.

That would be awesome if you want the feeling to have "mastered" or completely "exploited" some world.
So anywhere from "Practically infinite" to "I like the 360 version" to "Remember how small pre-Indev could get?"

I never thought about this, but is there a Minecraft mod that makes the world loop? That seems like something I'd be interested in.

Mengy

It would be an interesting option, but one that I personally would never, ever use. I enjoy exploring too much, some of my SSP worlds are hundreds of MB's simply due to me running around sightseeing.

But, having many world building options at the generation screen would be sweet. In addition to Flat World and Large Biomes, we could have Limited Size, Large Oceans, Continents, Skylands, Frozen, Desert, I mean really all kinds of options. I'm sure if the mod API ever gets done we will see tons of mods that do just that.

mr.beers

Those chat logs are gold, gave me a good laugh :p

I won't be able to tinker with the server until the 3rd, so if the end is still not working, it won't be fixed until then. Same goes for getting the mob spawning fixed, I forgot to do that before I left.

OMG yes I hope the mob spawning can be fixed I just ran 4000 blocks and did not see one hostile mob, I miss the fear of seeing a skellie in a cave.

Mik2121

Well, those screenshots are deceiving.
We FINALLY had oceans and they want to remove them? This whole thing sounds like they will actually worsen the world generator. That's nice. :/

Incredibly late but... yeah. I was checking the mojang site now and when I saw that, I wondered for a second if the update was the one with or without the oceans...

I mean, sure, it's really great that they are making biomes show up in places where they make more sense, but they absolutely got rid of oceans. Maybe they should have some parameter to spawn a huge area of water every 'x' amount of water bodies or something like that.

Also, how do I go to play online with you guys? I wanna get back into this, but I haven't played since a few months ago and I'm not sure how everything is working and where you guys are playing...

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not too upset because I don't particularly enjoy the enormous oceans. In my single player world I spent like 10-15 minutes sailing in a single direction without ever finding land, then gave up and sailed back. They really were larger than I wanted them to be.

Form an angry mob and demand an underwater update. In all of MC's history, all we've gotten is clay and squid to be found under water. Woo.

-Minsc-

I'm not too upset because I don't particularly enjoy the enormous oceans. In my single player world I spent like 10-15 minutes sailing in a single direction without ever finding land, then gave up and sailed back. They really were larger than I wanted them to be.

This post here caught my eye over at Minecraftforums.

"I've been looking at my worlds and random seeds with Amidst, and I can't see why anybody would have serious problems with the current 1.6 ocean system, or any big need to change it. Every seed, without exception so far (10 tried) is in the midst of an enormous land system of hundreds, probably thousands, of biomes and the longest crossing you need to make on any of them is about 600 blocks. Also every seed starts in a subsystem of at least dozen where the longest needed crossing is less than 200, meaning you'll see the next land just by doing a coastal survey. The only way I can see someone would have problems is if their idea of "crossing an ocean" is just get into a boat and head out in some random direction forever, expecting you'll run into something. Does anybody actually do that?

Can anybody post a problem seed just to indicate what problems might even need to be fixed? "

Seeing as I mainly play online I've never really went ocean sailing much before. What that guy says makes sense.

Personally I think ocean size should be an additional option to pick upon world creation. I have little issue with the current large ocean size, it just would be cool if the oceans were divided up in to sub-biome types.

Morokh

Form an angry mob and demand an underwater update. In all of MC's history, all we've gotten is clay and squid to be found under water. Woo.

well there's a massive fishing overhaul coming too .... xD

As for the new 'oceans' many people really overlook the scale of the map, 3000 blocks for an area of water is not small at all.

The only thing that bugs me is that the map doesn't show real masses of land completely surrounded by water, everything is more or less connected, removing that will certainly make it look way better.

The oceans as we have them now may be 'realistic' in some way, but it's a lot of wasted 'space' on the map, now if they have more varied biomes, and more of them to fill that void, so be it.

So I've been really interested in mine craft lately. Gonna download it for the box tomorrow. Who are the main streams I should watch on twitch?

-Minsc-

well there's a massive fishing overhaul coming too .... xD

As for the new 'oceans' many people really overlook the scale of the map, 3000 blocks for an area of water is not small at all.

The only thing that bugs me is that the map doesn't show real masses of land completely surrounded by water, everything is more or less connected, removing that will certainly make it look way better.

The oceans as we have them now may be 'realistic' in some way, but it's a lot of wasted 'space' on the map, now if they have more varied biomes, and more of them to fill that void, so be it.

We all know what the smart and reasonable move is, something like this.

overviewMapAwesome.png

Filling in those big "voids" would certainly tame many of the complaints that oceans are too large. As long as a person sails around a continent as opposed to sailing off in one direction they shouldn't have too much trouble finding an adjacent continent. Of course spice up the oceans as well. One thing I'd like is super deep oceans. I felt too limited building my aquadome way back when. In fact I dug a hole down about five layers on the ocean floor just so I could have some decent height in the dome. I would have much rathered the dome to have been sitting on the ocean floor with a dome height of 20 or so.

edit:

So I've been really interested in mine craft lately. Gonna download it for the box tomorrow. Who are the main streams I should watch on twitch?

I personally don't watch streams all that much. Some streams I commonly hear mentioned are Mindcrack and Yogscast.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Buying Coal in large quantities, visit my shop in spawn village to trade your coal for quartz, clay, diamonds, etc!

located on the east edge of the village, next to dmented's general store and behind nytonm's house.

F6LGctQ.png

Ender chest provided for safe storage of your goods.

Buying Coal in large quantities, visit my shop in spawn village to trade your coal for quartz, clay, diamonds, etc!

located on the east edge of the village, next to dmented's general store and behind nytonm's house.

F6LGctQ.png

Ender chest provided for safe storage of your goods.

Nice Panda, I will sell you some coal blocks tonight!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Curious what you intend to do with all that coal!
when the witchfarms go up, when the pigmen are farmed, when the golems fall from the sky only the non-renewables will have any true value.

i will sit upon my Coal throne and watch you all farm withers to cook your chickens.

defel

when the witchfarms go up, when the pigmen are farmed, when the golems fall from the sky only the non-renewables will have any true value.

i will sit upon my Coal throne and watch you all farm withers to cook your chickens.

wither skeleton farm = infinite coal. the market value of your investment will plummet once the great coal bubble pops

kidko

"In a stunning show of corporate greed and devastating lack of humanity, the chief executive of PANDACORP, INC, known only by the mysterious pseudonym "Pandaman" issued further rate hikes in the coal-trading markets this week, causing all but the wealthiest citizens of GAFLand to abandon their furnaces once and for all."

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Do player heads drop in vanilla yet?

----

Pandacorp has halved the sale price of diamond blocks, ice, clay blocks, redstone blocks and gold blocks. Wool has been reduced in price by 70%.
That means that 4 and a half stacks of coal will give you 9 diamonds! what a deal.

Why do i do it? because i care.

EVIL

Been looking at the map, and I think I might need to move the evil tower I was working on deeper in the forest. I kinda want to re-sculpt that whole forest area I am in, and turn it into some sort of creepy haunted forest with ruins and overgrown stuff etc. Been watchin Bdubs episodes where he is talking about building trees and that would be perfect for what I have in mind for the place. Will take a long time but that's kinda what I would like to do.

gaflandForest.jpg

hope panda on the left wont expand to much towards the forest

Also, if anyone has a couple of stacks of mycelium that they want to either trade (I am a poor guy so I don't have much to trade for) or donate, that would be amazing. I am looking into using that stuff to create some sort of corruption around the building I am working on mixed in with netherrack, obsidian, lava and fire!

Top Bottom