• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Been looking at the map, and I think I might need to move the evil tower I was working on deeper in the forest. I kinda want to re-sculpt that whole forest area I am in, and turn it into some sort of creepy haunted forest with ruins and overgrown stuff etc. Been watchin Bdubs episodes where he is talking about building trees and that would be perfect for what I have in mind for the place. Will take a long time but that's kinda what I would like to do.

gaflandForest.jpg

hope panda on the left wont expand to much towards the forest

Cool, I was wondering what you were making in that forest. I'm building an underground base in the swamp to the left (east) of your forest. I just can't stay in the little wooden house that I built in Gafville, I need to dig underground, make tunnels and caves and be a good little dwarf miner....plus, I've never made a large base in a swamp before.

EVIL

Cool, I was wondering what you were making in that forest. I'm building an underground base in the swamp to the left (east) of your forest. I just can't stay in the little wooden house that I built in Gafville, I need to dig underground, make tunnels and caves and be a good little dwarf miner....plus, I've never made a large base in a swamp before.

ahh the little hut is yours. If you need an area of the forest (logging, expanding etc), mark it with cobble and I will stay out of your way.

I'm going to go and burn that forest down.

:'(

Mengy

ahh the little hut is yours. If you need an area of the forest (logging, expanding etc), mark it with cobble and I will stay out of your way.

:'(

I've been cutting your trees down for wood along that swamp but I replant always so I doubt you would even notice, I'm such a green little dwarf.

The hut is just one entrance to my underground hall, and it's probably going to change somewhat as I'm not entirely happy with it's looks. But for now it's an entrance.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
someone does live in that forest btw.

there's some kind of underground oasis you can find by following cobble fenceposts.

EVIL

someone does live in that forest btw.

there's some kind of underground oasis you can find by following cobble fenceposts.

I think that is created by the guy (kidko it is) who has that massive building just north of the forest.

I stumbled onto it myself. Pretty cool discovery, like a secret garden! It looks even better with shaders on.

kidko

I don't intend on expanding any more into that forest past the oasis, FYI, so have at it. There are a couple small entrances to the underground network that I placed in the forest that you're free to do whatever you want with. I will continue to extend the mine tunnel from my building in town, south under the forest and beyond to my snowy build, though.

Glad you like the oasis! I'm thinking of making more of those little fun discoveries around GAFLand.

Morokh

About two weeks late, but here it is:

NihonTiger on NeoCraft - 56 - Adventures in Gafland

I'll be recording again as soon as this Internet thing is fixed. Been having problems recently. :(

Watching your video, I think we should really decide what the survival server is for and how it will evolve in time with new updates and such, just so we are all clear about it and everyone knows about it.

I personally think it would be nice to reset it when any major update hits and changes how many things generate in the world like 1.7 with the biome changes, or when we feel like it for whatever good reason.

Basically having Gafland as a changing world VS Neocraft that stays over time.

Don't know what Ark had in mind and what others think but might be worth discussing it.

EVIL

Watching your video, I think we should really decide what the survival server is for and how it will evolve in time with new updates and such, just so we are all clear about it and everyone knows about it.

I personally think it would be nice to reset it when any major update hits and changes how many things generate in the world like 1.7 with the biome changes, or when we feel like it for whatever good reason.

Basically having Gafland as a changing world VS Neocraft that stays over time.

Don't know what Ark had in mind and what others think but might be worth discussing it.

I think allot of us are already investing allot of time in gafland, not sure how fun it would be to reset every update.

kidko

About two weeks late, but here it is:

NihonTiger on NeoCraft - 56 - Adventures in Gafland

I'll be recording again as soon as this Internet thing is fixed. Been having problems recently. :(

Enjoying the video! It was great to see the beginning of the village, including when the inn was still just a mud hut on the riverbank. Also, now I know who left those floating tree bits along the shore ;) I'm really glad I joined the server, gang, thanks for hosting, Ark!

Ark

Yep this, no reset for gafland...Maybe a map trim like we had with Neocraft.

A trim works fine as long as people don't build 35,000 blocks off the map. Originally I just wanted to get a second world up and running, I actually don't mind resetting but really it's a decision that should be made when the next update is a lot closer.

--

I'm back now, so I'll get to figuring out why there are so few mobs around. Is the End still not working?

Mengy

I of course don't mind a reset, as I love the initial "starting out" period, and with 1.7 and all of these new biomes and things to discover and build in, well starting over for 1.7 sounds fantastic to me.

But, that's me, and I'm real sure I'm in the minority, lol.

Here is a question though: has anyone really played in the original Neocraft world since we started the new multiverse one?

I mean, honestly we don't really need two worlds to play in, not two full time worlds anyway. The multiverse should have more of a purpose than that, otherwise we might as well just stick with one big world. My personal opinion is we should do one of two things with this multiverse:

1. Maintain one world as a constant, and the other as a revolving reset world where we can mine, collect, and see the new stuff added in patches, and we occasionally reset it when enough new stuff is added (but allow us to carry inventory between the worlds, if its possible).

or

2. Start up a rotation schedule, where we gradually migrate from one world to the other, resetting each in turn over something like a 6 month or even a 1 year schedule. This way we can keep the server fresh and new but still give players lot of time to build things on each. It would allow us to "upgrade" to new patch stuff every year or so too.

One reason why I like option 2 is because right after Ark started the multiverse we really saw a jump in players and activity, and it's been fun ever since. This is the most active I've seen Neocraft in a long time, and it seems to be due to us starting a new world. So, what are we really gaining by keeping an old, awesome, built up, but rarely played in world online? Everyone seemed super excited to "start over" but no one seems thrilled to being able to play more in the original Neocraft world...

Just some of my thoughts for food....

EVIL

I would personally vote for no2, but then that world should be a more creative focused one as it is now. So keep at least one survival and one creative world where to focus is more on building cool shit.

edit: would be cool to some day be able to visit the old worlds via that system. would love to visit arkyoto again, or bootybay, castletown etc.

Morokh

Thing is there is not something major in terms of land generation every patch, last time it was 1.2 with Jungles, in between was some minor things like emeralds, and new stuff in dungeon chests not really worth resetting.

But with 1.7 and the scope of the biome overhaul, well trimmed or not the map might just end up being a huge mess xD

For Neocraft Otamin, plays on it when he is on, Charlie said he'll be back there when he finishes what he started, Dry will certainly follow :p

I agree that the multiverse must be used for something other than just keeping a world for the sake of it.

I kind of like Mengy's idea but there's always the time when some people will want to switch back to creative (and start abusing world edit again :p), going with 1 full creative for Otamin-like projects and one survival where people know there will be a time for a fresh start at one point may be a good alternative.

When a world is 'terminated' I'm sure we can have a download for people who want to keep it, and it could even allow for some fun stuff between map resets when it happens like a 1 week UHC kill the wither challenge or something... :p, or yeah, as EVIL said revisiting old maps :eek:

Mengy

So a new snapshot came out today, 13w36a:

https://mojang.com/2013/09/minecraft-snapshot-13w36a/

No idea yet what all is in it, but it sounds like some terrain changes may have made it in after all...

EDIT: Okay, here is a list of what is in it (so far):

• New flowers from left to right: Poppy, Blue Orchid, Allium, Azure Bluet, Red Tulip, Orange Tulip, White Tulip, Pink Tulip, Oxeye Daisy.
  • From left to right: Double Tallgrass, Large Fern, Rose Bush, Lilacs
  • Snow present in higher elevations
  • Peony on the left, Sunflower on the right
  • New biome - Dense mushroom forest.
  • New biome - Savannah
  • Transitioning from a prairie/grassland biome to a Savannah biome
  • Example of a biome variant - birch forest
  • Biome variant - Flowered forest
  • Podzol on the left, dirt on the right
  • Gorges.
  • Fish from left to right: regular fish, salmon, clownfish, pufferfish

eh, here is a reddit post with pics and an updated list:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/1ls56m/minecraft_snapshot_13w36a/

Morokh

Exploring a bit right now, the biomes are really nice, there a re new enchants for fishing, there are particles effects where you see the fish about to bait, and I think they fixed the AFK fishing farms.

Tried to grow the thick trees from the dense forest but it doesn't work :p this biome is going to be a deathtrap but I really like it.

Ocean floor is all gravel, clay is all over the place in river and lakes in many biomes, sugar canes have different color variants in different biomes.

New flowers appear with bonemeal, tall grass is obtained when using bonemeal on normal grass,bushes can be duplicated by using bonemeal on an existing bush.

Swamps are a bit more interesting, there is overall way more land, but I came across quite large oceans too, will explore a bit further :p

Mengy

I don't see all these pics..I see a few linked.

Yeah there are tons of imgur pics linked into that thread. Some of the screen shots are FANTASTIC.

There is a new land generation mode called amplified, it is basically the opposite of flat and it exaggerates everything in the vertical, looks like the skyland pics but with a solid ground.

They've added a freakin' lot already to this patch. The biomes all look amazing, and there are a few surprises that we haven't seen til now. The Ice Plains in particular look awesome. I'm going to load it up tonight and make a new world just to go sightseeing...

mr.beers

9681741826_7ae1767e31_b.jpg

Loving savanna biome, I hope this isn't a glitch. Mountain on the left goes up to 200+ blocks I'm glad they are taking advantage of the 255 world height now.

Morokh

Looks like biomes can have 2 'properties' that allow them to mix 2 caracteritics together to create biome variants, like stone beaches, mountain Savannah like the picture above, and so on ...

Really liking the stony mountains plateaus they are like elevated stony mountains with somewhat flat areas, I can foresee many castles being built in this one :p

Witch-huts are still in, so that's a good sign so far.

There is also a new Ice block for a new Ice-Spikes biome don't know what is special about it yet.

I've been wandering about for quite some time but I haven't found a Jungle or one of these clay biome yet.

Many people report smoother framerate with the snapshot, people having difficulties running the game lately should really try it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This is pretty cool. Many new forests and snow places. Snow appearing on tops of high blocks. Less randomness to neighbors. My first world was a savanah next to a desert and it worked so well, then there was plains in the middle with a small hill covered in trees called a "forest hill" biome. There's deep oceans (Which I can't see in as I don't know how to make an Affinity helmet in Creative) that go down so far. And mountains that go above the clouds. This is amazing.

But village generation still sucks. So many houses with doors too high or low for the villagers. Broken paths. God, 1.8 should just be about making villages generate right. It's ridiculous.

I think the "packed ice" block is just that. Not transparent, so dense you can't see through it and it shouldn't melt with torches and lava I think. Don't quote me on that.

Holy shit at "Amplified". The Extreme Hills go up to almost 250.

Mengy

Podzol makes forests look AWESOME.

I wonder if Podzol spreads like grass, or will those dirt blocks stay dirt? Can't wait to get home and install the snapshot, I know what I'm doing all night tonight!

If we do reboot GAF Land in 1.7, it needs to be an Amplified world.

Just sayin'.

That...is a great idea. It would give a great contrast between the worlds too. With these biome changes I'll never want to play in a pre-1.7 world again. Hell I'd be all for rebooting BOTH worlds on Neocraft: one a brand new fresh normal 1.7 world, and the multiverse would be a new amplified 1.7 world.

Ah well I know no one else will want that. Thank goodness I have single player worlds to satisfy my desires...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What is the Super Secret Options button for? It doesn't do anything. I tried holding down keys when clicking too. Nothing. I wanna see!!!

kidko

The more I look at this, the more I think I'd be ok with rebooting GAFLand... :O

Seems like we could always just add another Multiverse, right? I mean, why not... unless there is a performance hit on the server(?)

Ranger X

So a new snapshot came out today, 13w36a:

https://mojang.com/2013/09/minecraft-snapshot-13w36a/

No idea yet what all is in it, but it sounds like some terrain changes may have made it in after all...

EDIT: Okay, here is a list of what is in it (so far):

• New flowers from left to right: Poppy, Blue Orchid, Allium, Azure Bluet, Red Tulip, Orange Tulip, White Tulip, Pink Tulip, Oxeye Daisy.
  • From left to right: Double Tallgrass, Large Fern, Rose Bush, Lilacs
  • Snow present in higher elevations
  • Peony on the left, Sunflower on the right
  • New biome - Dense mushroom forest.
  • New biome - Savannah
  • Transitioning from a prairie/grassland biome to a Savannah biome
  • Example of a biome variant - birch forest
  • Biome variant - Flowered forest
  • Podzol on the left, dirt on the right
  • Gorges.
  • Fish from left to right: regular fish, salmon, clownfish, pufferfish

eh, here is a reddit post with pics and an updated list:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/1ls56m/minecraft_snapshot_13w36a/

HOLYsh...
Its rare I download a snapshot but now this really is my kind of stuff.

Wish we'd get a "world size" option down the road though. Would be nice to create a limited size world (ala Xbox version) that I can "master" and use every corner of it.

EVIL

HOLYsh...
Its rare I download a snapshot but now this really is my kind of stuff.

Wish we'd get a "world size" option down the road though. Would be nice to create a limited size world (ala Xbox version) that I can "master" and use every corner of it.

you can always world edit and crop it to your liking and build a large wall around it

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
you can always world edit and crop it to your liking and build a large wall around it
I use Chunky to erase unwanted chunks. I did a test today with out 1.6 world in 1.7. Straight edges look weird, but given time I'd probably do just that and build walls at the edges to make it look a little better. And do some other landscaping to make it smoother.

If I were them I'd make it so when a huge world generation modifying version comes out, the first time I load a world it would generate a two chunk ring around everything that already exists where it would smooth the edges as much as possible to make the straight edges as smooth as possible. It'd be a one-time thing of course. And there could be a utility for server worlds to do the same thing.

Also, I really hate that witch huts seem to be broken. Our witch hut, which we were starting to turn into a farm, no longer generates witches. Some on Reddit say it's a bug and will be fixed, but now we can't do any work on the farm until we're sure it'll be fixed.

Mengy

Snapshot 13w36b is out now, fixes some bugs, apparently the mesa biome had a generation issue that is now fixed.

So I messed around with the snapshot most of last night, and wow is terrain generation much improved. I actually haven't seen all of the new biomes yet, but even the old biomes now generate in variations that greatly increases the variety of the land. I found mountain forests, forests filled with flowers, snowless taiga, taiga mountains, extreme hill biomes of all shape size and manner. And I saw some incredibly awesome mountain generation, it seems like the generator has a touch of the old alpha mountains back again. It doesn't do it all the time, but I ran into several mountain ranges that had huge overhangs, lava falls, tall peaks, floating mountains, just real crazy fantasy mountain generation that reminded me of the old Glacier seed. So far the Savannah biome is my favorite of the new ones, sometimes it generates semi flat rolling hills, sometimes it generates crazy awesome mountains, but the trees, grass, and color just make it a very atmospheric place.

And the flowers, man is that a nice touch. They are all great. I'm going to make huge decorative gardens and put flower pots all over every place I build from now on. So much decorating options now.

The only thing I'm not convinced on yet is the gravel lined ocean floor. Seemed like finding clay last night was so much harder now, and I honestly liked diving for clay and sand on ocean bottoms with the new Respiration III enchant. I hope they either revert the floors to the way they are in 1.6.2 or improve on it, as it is now they kind of killed the fun of diving completely.

I'm gonna play more tonight and run around finding more new biomes in my SSP world.

I also created an amplified world in creative just to fly around and have a look see, and Holy Crap that is incredible. It's like playing in a acid dream world. It did bring my computer to a bit of a crawl though, it definitely is cpu intensive. I am going to start a new SSP amplified world, maybe even tonight, because Damn is that awesome.

So far 1.7 has me excited. I hadn't realized just how boring the land generation had become til last night.

EVIL

Snapshot 13w36b is out now, fixes some bugs, apparently the mesa biome had a generation issue that is now fixed.

So I messed around with the snapshot most of last night, and wow is terrain generation much improved. I actually haven't seen all of the new biomes yet, but even the old biomes now generate in variations that greatly increases the variety of the land. I found mountain forests, forests filled with flowers, snowless taiga, taiga mountains, extreme hill biomes of all shape size and manner. And I saw some incredibly awesome mountain generation, it seems like the generator has a touch of the old alpha mountains back again. It doesn't do it all the time, but I ran into several mountain ranges that had huge overhangs, lava falls, tall peaks, floating mountains, just real crazy fantasy mountain generation that reminded me of the old Glacier seed. So far the Savannah biome is my favorite of the new ones, sometimes it generates semi flat rolling hills, sometimes it generates crazy awesome mountains, but the trees, grass, and color just make it a very atmospheric place.

And the flowers, man is that a nice touch. They are all great. I'm going to make huge decorative gardens and put flower pots all over every place I build from now on. So much decorating options now.

The only thing I'm not convinced on yet is the gravel lined ocean floor. Seemed like finding clay last night was so much harder now, and I honestly liked diving for clay and sand on ocean bottoms with the new Respiration III enchant. I hope they either revert the floors to the way they are in 1.6.2 or improve on it, as it is now they kind of killed the fun of diving completely.

I'm gonna play more tonight and run around finding more new biomes in my SSP world.

I also created an amplified world in creative just to fly around and have a look see, and Holy Crap that is incredible. It's like playing in a acid dream world. It did bring my computer to a bit of a crawl though, it definitely is cpu intensive. I am going to start a new SSP amplified world, maybe even tonight, because Damn is that awesome.

So far 1.7 has me excited. I hadn't realized just how boring the land generation had become til last night.

I think that now the mesa biome is almost all clay, having clay on ocean floors will be overkill?

kidko

We must document well the existence of this city before such an event transpires.

Might be a fun way to kick off our transition to the 1.7 biomes whenever they come out.... just piles and piles of TNT on all of our builds. Would make for a pretty great episode of Nihon's show

Morokh

I think that now the mesa biome is almost all clay, having clay on ocean floors will be overkill?

Scout the world with a night vision potion, clay is all over the place in rivers, lakes in many biomes and in swamps, even without the mesa biome (that is quite rare) there is still plenty.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been so stupidly busy the last few weeks. I'm getting Minecraft withdrawals. I really want to go see what Shane's building.

Top Bottom