• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Of course, quartz still isn't that easy to find in GAF Land, either... I mean, it's out there, but you have to venture off the beaten path quite a bit, because the obvious veins have already been mined out.

Snapshot 13w37a is live and available:

https://mojang.com/2013/09/minecraft-snapshot-13w37a/

It's mostly bug fixes, plus the new nether portal changes.
Okay, time for somebody to confirm: can you make a Pac-Man portal?

Seanspeed

Banned
Nope, Minecraft can't run on my laptop without Optifine.

Is 1.7 going to change that? :/

Anyways, maybe its cuz I spend a lot of time in my underground quarters, but Gafland changes so much so quick. Panda has got like a 1,000ft tower now that wasn't there last time I wandered near. lol

-Minsc-

Is 1.7 going to change that? :/

Anyways, maybe its cuz I spend a lot of time in my underground quarters, but Gafland changes so much so quick. Panda has got like a 1,000ft tower now that wasn't there last time I wandered near. lol

Nah, we all just go a crazy and overboard. Take Gafville, the majority of that village went up in something like two-three days.

Crispy75

Finished my first build in GafLand :)

g2yWmRf.jpg

And RUTHLESSLY BUTCHERED Charlie's spawn building in the process :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I think only the few who wander south of spawn have seen it so far, so i thought id post my first progress report on my tower home.

the third wall is effectively complete and work on the 4th and final main wall has begun. most of the coal i use these days has been coming from the shop, which has been a huge success! by my estimation the tower now has ~6608 of the 8260 coal blocks its full shell requires. home stretch!

Since i havent been coal mining, I've started work on filling out the tube. below is some screenshots of progress so far. :3

Crispy75

I think only the few who wander south of spawn have seen it so far, so i thought id post my first progress report on my tower home.

the third wall is effectively complete and work on the 4th and final main wall has begun. most of the coal i use these days has been coming from the shop, which has been a huge success! by my estimation the tower now has ~6608 of the 8260 coal blocks its full shell requires. home stretch!

Since i havent been coal mining, I've started work on filling out the tube. below is some screenshots of progress so far. :3

This LOOMS over everything I do :D

As you'my nearest neighbour, I presume I Have you to thank for the welcome gift of mossy stone etc? Many thanks :)

sgt jumpy

Banned
Nice screen shots, guys. I haven't been on to build in a week or two, and I'm staring to feel that itch. I may hop on here in a little while. I want to construct a rounded Wizard Tower with an elevator to the top. I have a decent amount of miss stone, five stacks maybe, just enough to make it look better than simple stone/cobble. Buyout I guess I could also place ivy on it as well... Of course, that acts as a make shift ladder. Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Can I get the link to the dynamic map? I forgot to book mark it! I'm south east of everybody, I have a squared off wooden starter house and I've begun work on my compound. So far I've got a two block high cobble stone fence, a stone brick home, a smithy, a little patch of land for growing food, and a cobble stone shack leading into my mine.

Also, how do you take minecraft screen shots and retrieve them? I know how to host them, I use Image shack, just just sure how to take them in MC. F4?

Raxious

Haven't played MC in months, and need to kill some time for GTA V :p Can I just hop onto the GAF server, or is there something I need to do first?

-Minsc-

Haven't played MC in months, and need to kill some time for GTA V :p Can I just hop onto the GAF server, or is there something I need to do first?

Easy, quote the first post of this thread for the server IP. To get on the building whitelist just fire off a PM to Ark or CharmingCharlie. If you happen to log on the server and charlie is there he can also whitelist you then. :) The server is currently 1.6.2.

Rokam

1.7 needs to go ahead and get an official release, ready to start up a new single player world. I've considered starting one up in the snapshot, but not worth the risk, just in case something else gets added.

And yes I realize we're probably still a month or two out. :(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
1.7 needs to go ahead and get an official release, ready to start up a new single player world. I've considered starting one up in the snapshot, but not worth the risk, just in case something else gets added.

And yes I realize we're probably still a month or two out. :(

I've considered migrating my SSP world to the snapshot now too, but I don't think they are done adding stuff to 1.7 yet. For example, ocean biomes haven't had any real changes other than the new gravel floors, which honestly kind of sucks IMHO. Yet improvements to ocean biomes was supposed to be a big thing in 1.7, so I'm betting (hoping) it's just not ready yet.

So instead I'm just mining and caving til 1.7 hits. I've already tunneled a new line on my nether network, 500 blocks west, even created the portal but haven't lit it up yet. This is where I'm going to pop out once 1.7 is live, then I'll set up a new base in new biome land and explore the hell out of it.

So the Mindcrack guys are doing a live UHC at Minecon.

I'm gonna be there, suck it Should be interesting, especially considering how awful so many of them are at UHC, in part because of all the restrictions they impose on themselves (no practice or playing in UHC outside of Mindcrack events, for example). I can't blame them too much, though, because they'd be targets for everyone in any UHC match, as everyone will want to kill them or help them, if their PvP videos indicate anything.

Mojang devs and other Youtubers will be guests. I imagine that means Dinnerbone returns along with captainsparklez taking part this season. Maybe Sethbing returning as well.

belushy

Banned
So the Mindcrack guys are doing a live UHC at Minecon.

I'm gonna be there, suck it Should be interesting, especially considering how awful so many of them are at UHC, in part because of all the restrictions they impose on themselves (no practice or playing in UHC outside of Mindcrack events, for example). I can't blame them too much, though, because they'd be targets for everyone in any UHC match, as everyone will want to kill them or help them, if their PvP videos indicate anything.

Mojang devs and other Youtubers will be guests. I imagine that means Dinnerbone returns along with captainsparklez taking part this season. Maybe Sethbing returning as well.

Has GAF ever done a UHC?

Morokh

I'm starting to wonder if the timeouts, lag and such aren't tied to the mob spawning ....

Was starting to lay out the base to spruce up my witch farm yesterday, and noticed that I initially get spawns only when I log in, and/or just before I get lag, and get timed out, and NOTHING in between.

I haven't lit up everything in my perimeter so I can understand why I get low rates, but I should still get some from time to time in between.

Crispy75

crispy is doing some impressive work on the server, you guys should check out his house and roadways.

You're too kind :D It's this area SW of spawn, with Panda's ULTRATOWER further South:

kUAFM6H.png

I'll see if I can remember to put some screenshots up later today.

Whoever's building the town further SW of here: I'm running my road out in your direction, over the canyon. It'd be cool if there was a gatehouse on the N side or NE corner (nudge nudge). The road is 3 blocks wide (+1 block border each side).

defel

I'm starting to wonder if the timeouts, lag and such aren't tied to the mob spawning ....

Was starting to lay out the base to spruce up my witch farm yesterday, and noticed that I initially get spawns only when I log in, and/or just before I get lag, and get timed out, and NOTHING in between.

I haven't lit up everything in my perimeter so I can understand why I get low rates, but I should still get some from time to time in between.

Same has been happening to me although Ive lit up my perimeter pretty extensively and I still get almost no witches. Even when Im at y=140 above the witch hut I get no spawns in there despite the fact that the spawning pads are the only spawnable surface area within my player radius.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mobs are just not despawning in unloaded chunks.

does that dynamic map thing keep the game perpetually loaded or something? because i logged off with mobs in my grinder and they were still there hours later.

Crispy75

mobs are just not despawning in unloaded chunks.

does that dynamic map thing keep the game perpetually loaded or something? because i logged off with mobs in my grinder and they were still there hours later.

A similar symptom is when you sprint into the desert at midday and come across burning zombies as you enter new chunks.

kidko

Alright finally updated Minecraft at work. Now I can get back on when its dead here too.

Is that your base with the huge stone cylinders to the south of Panda? I was running past and wanted to check out the cave on the west side and got totally swarmed by about 10 zeds and 4-5 skeletons... it was like an ambush. Nearly died.

So watch out!

Crispy75

Is that your base with the huge stone cylinders to the south of Panda? I was running past and wanted to check out the cave on the west side and got totally swarmed by about 10 zeds and 4-5 skeletons... it was like an ambush. Nearly died.

So watch out!

No need for mob grinders on this server, just take a walk in the wilderness at night :D

So watch out!

Yeah it is. I am actually exploring right now.

Edit:
And I found a place to start trying something other then mountain castles. Far north-east, a nice little island.

Oh wow, what great comedic timing on my part at the end of the episode. LOL Thanks to the updated mob spawning I was ambushed on my way to your place.

Edit: It would be cool to go to MineCon but it hasn't been really been on my financial radar. :) Maybe someday, somewhere we'll cross paths.

People looked at me funny at work when I started laughing at that part.

And unfortunately I won't be at minecon either. I doubt I will be able to go anytime soon unless it is in Las Vegas. I'd be able to do that 8 hour drive.

kidko

hey Nihon, I like that you make those vids on our server, it's super cool to be able to see things from other perspectives! I like to be able to see our little town from work when I can't login.

If I could make a small request... feel free to ignore or whatever, but when you're doing the parts where you're just talking about meta stuff about your show and minecon and stuff like that, maybe you could do some walking around the town and showing some different stuff. Take a stroll down a road and see where it goes, etc. It gets kinda dizzying to watch you run in circles around the edge of your house.

pin cushion Minsc was brill

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
good to see another episode, i watched it while repairing my sword at a grinder. i loved how the intro music starts with you moving out from spawn, only to fall down the stairs and start again. cute touch.

Minsc was great, worlds most dedicated beef delivery service.

---

@ kidko: thanks for the coal donation! im about halfway done the last wall now, i might have it done before my vacation at this rate. ^^

Top Bottom