• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

-Minsc-

As much as it would suck to lose everything on Gafland due to a wipe for 1.7, I am fine with it. I mean look at how much Gafland has grown in the short time its been up. I am sure we could do amazing things on Gafland 2.0 even faster.

And there is always the option to build on Neocraft if you don't want your builds wiped. There is still plenty of room and resources there too. And contrary to popular belief you don't have to be in creative on Neocraft.

It would be interesting if GafLand and NeoCraft could be combined in to one massive map. If GafLand is wiped I can live with it. I'm to the point where I just like building stuff. Having it available for people to see is just icing on the cake. Learning new ways to build and having fun with everyone on the server is the main draw for me now. It's not like we can't put GafLand and/or NeoCraft up for download.

Exactly minsc, I like the building, if we didn't I don't think gafland would have blossomed as fast as it did, we would have all stayed on neocraft and just built further out. Having the current Gafland available for download so that we can get it and play in SP after a wipe would be nice.

Bento

So I'm jumping into Minecraft for the first time today but I'd first like to know if there's any mods, especially visual mods, I should be on the lookout for?

Also does GAF do any Hardcore or Survival stuff? Building seems nice but I'd love to go dungeon crawling with some folks :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It stupidly autoupdated me to 1.6.4.

Fuck sake.
Stupidly? FFS, no. It's user error. Just use the Profile Editor to make it stick to a certain version. You have it set to always update to the latest stable. No need to freak out. You can have however many versions you want installed at once all the way back to Alpha and switch between them freely.

Ark

Wiping GAFLand is the most sensible option; I could disable multiverse inventories if the masses wanted to take resources over.

Just my opinion, not gospel :p

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't play on the NeoCraft server, but why not just do another ark if you're gonna do that? I play on a personal server with my brother and his friends and we kept ourselves to a small area so I can trim the world when 1.7 comes out. I look forward to building walls and smoothing out the landscape around the chunk edges when it comes.

On another note, how is it 1.6.4 now? What happened to 1.6.3? Another last minute big bug that caused them to need to update immediately again? Great, after I just got OptiFine in 1.6.2. lol

I don't play on the NeoCraft server, but why not just do another ark if you're gonna do that? I play on a personal server with my brother and his friends and we kept ourselves to a small area so I can trim the world when 1.7 comes out. I look forward to building walls and smoothing out the landscape around the chunk edges when it comes.

On another note, how is it 1.6.4 now? What happened to 1.6.3? Another last minute big bug that caused them to need to update immediately again? Great, after I just got OptiFine in 1.6.2. lol

Yep, I think the 1.6.3 fix caused villages to do what witch huts would have previously done in 1.7 (errors with them disappearing from previously gendrated chunks), but correct me if I am wrong on that.

kidko

I am cool with it. Those biomes look too good.

I'd like to be able to download the world files to keep around for nostalgia or posterity or whatever!

BTW, if you can give me a heads up on the reset, should we go that route, I'll run around and get some video of everyone's stuff just for old time's sake

Ark

BTW, if you can give me a heads up on the reset, should we go that route, I'll run around and get some video of everyone's stuff just for old time's sake

Once Jeb gives us a date for 1.7 we can begin to figure things out, it still might be months away. Unless he's already given us a date and I live under a rock.

Once Jeb gives us a date for 1.7 we can begin to figure things out, it still might be months away. Unless he's already given us a date and I live under a rock.

I don't think there has been a date yet. I am totally fine with bringing over what I can carry to gafland 2.0 if we go that route or I am good with starting from scratch again. Either way I am pro-wipe for 1.7.

-Minsc-

I have no problem with starting over empty handed. The only people who will likely have any issue are those who don't like spelunking. Fortunately I'm an overall rounded player. :)

I like spelunking, but one does have to find a good cave to do it in. Took me a good while to find anywhere good, myself; most of the caves I came across barely went that far underground.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When was the last time biome generation was changed enough to affect new chunks? How often do they generally add stuff that big that it ends up modifying the generation and causing chunk edges?

I wish they'd work on an algorithm for scanning the edges of old world chunks, and what will be generated next to them in the new chunks and smoothing it out some way. Kind of like when they converted to Anvil and the worlds had to be analyzed and updated. Wouldn't have to be perfect. Just a smooth curve down or up to the next block that happens over a 16 block distance. Basically it would first take the old chunk, generate the neighboring chunk of 2 chunks away and generate a chunk in between that smooths everything out. If I could code, I'd totally fly over to them and write it for them. It would be used every time and updates like this wouldn't be as big a deal anymore.

-Minsc-

When was the last time biome generation was changed enough to affect new chunks? How often do they generally add stuff that big that it ends up modifying the generation and causing chunk edges?

I wish they'd work on an algorithm for scanning the edges of old world chunks, and what will be generated next to them in the new chunks and smoothing it out some way. Kind of like when they converted to Anvil and the worlds had to be analyzed and updated. Wouldn't have to be perfect. Just a smooth curve down or up to the next block that happens over a 16 block distance. Basically it would first take the old chunk, generate the neighboring chunk of 2 chunks away and generate a chunk in between that smooths everything out. If I could code, I'd totally fly over to them and write it for them. It would be used every time and updates like this wouldn't be as big a deal anymore.
I'm not sure there's been anything this big since beta. Jungles were added in 1.2 I believe, though that's just one new biome.

Morokh

yes last big change was jungles like a year and a half ago (few months after I started playing) everything in between has been small additions that only spawn in new chunks but don't affect the overall generation (like emeralds, witch-huts, horses, less water in deserts and such)

Xun

Stupidly? FFS, no. It's user error. Just use the Profile Editor to make it stick to a certain version. You have it set to always update to the latest stable. No need to freak out. You can have however many versions you want installed at once all the way back to Alpha and switch between them freely.

I guess you don't use the new launcher, cause that's not even a problem with it, just create a Neogaf profile with the right settings and you're done :)
I didn't realise that with the new launcher, pretty cool then.

Panic over. :p

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i do not endorse the taking of resources across the server wipe, but i do wonder what the optimum import would be.

ie: how many stacks of each resource, etc, etc.

I wonder if you could bring a stack of ender chests and then sell them on the new server for multiple blocks others imported, effectively increasing your inventory space.

limlark

i do not endorse the taking of resources across the server wipe, but i do wonder what the optimum import would be.

ie: how many stacks of each resource, etc, etc.
This again. Let's just all stick to speaking for ourselves, 'endorse' is a pretty strong word for how other people want to play on a server that isn't yours. Leave your own things behind if you choose.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
This again. Let's just all stick to speaking for ourselves, 'endorse' is a pretty strong word for how other people want to play on a server that isn't yours. Leave your own things behind if you choose.
I don't even know who you are, what makes you think i'm speaking for you.

If people voicing their opinions gets you so hot and bothered you should probably take yourself a bit less seriously.

kidko

So I'm jumping into Minecraft for the first time today but I'd first like to know if there's any mods, especially visual mods, I should be on the lookout for?

Also does GAF do any Hardcore or Survival stuff? Building seems nice but I'd love to go dungeon crawling with some folks :)

Hi, welcome! I think we all missed this since you are rocking no avatar. I would suggest starting out with the default texture pack and getting familiar with the look of everything before trying out a custom art pack. There are lots of them online, though. They're called "resource packs" as they not only change textures but also icons and UI elements. That's why it's best to get familiar with the default look first as it's used on wikis and stuff and will make life easier.

so what you're saying is, you'd also bring an anvil.

this is how it starts!

Haha! It is a slippery slope, huh. But no, I think I could manage to scrape up the iron for an anvil pretty quick (with my sweet sweet pick!)

I just want to have the option to take things to the next map so I can bring over all my gunpowder and stacks upon stacks of watermelon blocks, for obvious reasons.

I just want to have the option to take things to the next map so I can bring over all my gunpowder and stacks upon stacks of watermelon blocks, for obvious reasons.

You realize if Ark turns off multiverse separate inventories you could grab a few mooshroom eggs from neocraft and bring them over, for obvious reasons.

Ark

Nothing Panda said was out of line. As I actually run the server, people are welcome to speak their mind. It's always been that way and it always will be.

Mengy and Charlie actually do most of the work, I just put my name on the door :p

You realize if Ark turns off multiverse separate inventories you could grab a few mooshroom eggs from neocraft and bring them over, for obvious reasons.

You just made a very compelling argument not to do that ;D

A simpler solution would be to make use of our beautiful spawn point building ;-) That magnificent erection has plenty of chests and room to put more chests.

So just before the server is reset we could turn spawn protection off, make use of the spawn point chests and then I do the ole copy/save and paste into the new world.

A simpler solution would be to make use of our beautiful spawn point building ;-) That magnificent erection has plenty of chests and room to put more chests.

So just before the server is reset we could turn spawn protection off, make use of the spawn point chests and then I do the ole copy/save and paste into the new world.

In that case the ark is already built then. I am liking this idea more and more.

You just made a very compelling argument not to do that ;D

Yeah I think a gafland ark in the spawn tower is far better then unlocking inventories. It looks like Charlie was thinking ahead and not in dome form this time.

Ark

Great idea.

I have absolutely no idea or guarantee that this will work.

Great idea.

I have absolutely no idea or guarantee that this will work.

Ye of little faith, it's not like I have to pay attention to where I put colons is it ;-). I will do a couple of tests later tonight with a simple build and a couple of locked chests. I am 100% sure that world edit lets us copy/save and paste buildings after all I have done it several times (as the scars on the server will testify). Just not 100% sure on whether the signs or the chest contents will be saved as part of the schematic file system.

Ark

Ye of little faith, it's not like I have to pay attention to where I put colons is it ;-). I will do a couple of tests later tonight with a simple build and a couple of locked chests. I am 100% sure that world edit lets us copy/save and paste buildings after all I have done it several times (as the scars on the server will testify). Just not 100% sure on whether the signs or the chest contents will be saved as part of the schematic file system.

Oh WorldEdit will work for sure, but removing spawn protection might be fickle :p

If all else fails one of us could just duplicate the spawn building away from spawn protection and do it that way.

Its effectively an ark, Ark. heh It was used to great success last time right?

Last time we used MCEdit. Which is why it took so long because I can't use MCEdit to save my life and IIRC Spuit was the one who moved it over.

Oh WorldEdit will work for sure, but removing spawn protection might be fickle :p

If all else fails one of us could just duplicate the spawn building away from spawn protection and do it that way.

Last time we used MCEdit. Which is why it took so long because I can't use MCEdit to save my life and IIRC Spuit was the one who moved it over.

Gotcha, well then, uh, maybe a test would be in order. And on the bright side if something goes wrong, we can blame it on charlie. He does have a reputation for breaking the server, and then we all say "oh there goes charlie" and everyone is in the clear.

sgt jumpy

Banned
Jeez it's on 1.6.4? I last played on 1.6.2. Man, am I behind the times. I'm not too worried about my stuff being wiped, I hadn't created anything fancy.

Seanspeed

Banned
My only problem with a plan to wipe out GAFland is that I'm going to have very little motive to play on it anymore, knowing its all going to be erased soon.

Ark

Gotcha, well then, uh, maybe a test would be in order. And on the bright side if something goes wrong, we can blame it on charlie. He does have a reputation for breaking the server, and then we all say "oh there goes charlie" and everyone is in the clear.

I'll make sure to give it a test in the week when not too many people are online.

My only problem with a plan to wipe out GAFland is that I'm going to have very little motive to play on it anymore, knowing its all going to be erased soon.

Personally I find it to be the opposite. I love playing on new, uncharted territory. Everything is fresh and with the new biomes, possibly more awesome.

Most importantly; fresh resources :D

kidko

It's gonna be a while before 1.7 comes out, then even longer for Bukkit to release their version of it. Plenty of time to build giant penises all over gafville

Crispy75

I'm in the "wipe it clean, no transfers" camp. Punching trees is a fundamental part of minecraft and we should all have to do it every now and then :)

I'm all for new biomes.

I'd like to see:

A new map in place for Neocraft. That map has had a long life... I think it's time to retire it and throw it up for download. But the new map would be purely creative. Ark can put a Command Block at the spawn/warp/thing that enables creative mode.

I have really no say in GAFland since I have done jack-all there, so y'all can squabble over that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I didn't realise that with the new launcher, pretty cool then.

Panic over. :p
The new launcher is fantastic. However many versions you want at the same time all the way back to Alpha.

And the new Optifine versions will install their own profile as well so you don't have to edit anything.

Top Bottom