• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Morokh

Spaded the corner off a hill, whilst pressing forwards. Revealed a hole. Fell into it. Fell 20 blocks. Onto a Creeper. Died.

Meanwhile, City Hall begins to take shape, and I'm girdling the spawn tower with paths and (future) gardens. The plan:

wIiPvcM.png

mmmmm, symmetry.

I personally don't really like things planned like this for a layout and I always feel like it's quite limiting on a server to have specific pre-defined spots to build in :eek:
What was real nice with the spawn village is that it evolved in a very organic way and still looks very nice and it kind of suits the style we all went with.

Martian said:
I just want a smaller world where everything is in the game (all biomes, mobs etc)

Then don't buy the console version, when the next PC update comes it will be like playing Alpha in terms of world generation in comparison.

Just limit yourself to a certain area or learn some commands to teleport yourself if you ever end up lost on top of what the game offers to find your way back.

kidko

I personally don't really like things planned like this for a layout and I always feel like it's quite limiting on a server to have specific pre-defined spots to build in :eek:
What was real nice with the spawn village is that it evolved in a very organic way and still looks very nice and it kind of suits the style we all went with.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's not like Minecraft ever leaves you wanting for space to be creative and do whatever you want. Would it really cramp your style to have one area around the spawn where we planned it out just a little bit? To be clear, I'm just discussing the possibility, nothing more.

EDIT: Hey Panda, you gonna stick a dome on top of that thing or wut??

masud

Banned
Spaded the corner off a hill, whilst pressing forwards. Revealed a hole. Fell into it. Fell 20 blocks. Onto a Creeper. Died.

Meanwhile, City Hall begins to take shape, and I'm girdling the spawn tower with paths and (future) gardens. The plan:

wIiPvcM.png

mmmmm, symmetry.

You should fix the road running through town so it matches the rest of what you're working on. You build fast as hell btw lol.

wIiPvcM.png

mmmmm, symmetry.

Crisp, when you get to building that north/south road leading out from city hall, let me know. I had a few ideas for how to handle that since it runs up by my cottage. :)

-Minsc-

You should fix the road running through town so it matches the rest of what you're working on. You build fast as hell btw lol.

Leave the road. That broken up road is part of the charm of the village. ;)

wIiPvcM.png

mmmmm, symmetry.

I'm split on the work your doing there. On the one had it is nice and will look cool once done. Unfortunately your planned/symmetrical may clash with the more natural/organic theme of GafVille. Personally I rather liked the area around spawn tower being sparse. Made it feel like you were venturing out to find stuff.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's not like Minecraft ever leaves you wanting for space to be creative and do whatever you want. Would it really cramp your style to have one area around the spawn where we planned it out just a little bit? To be clear, I'm just discussing the possibility, nothing more.

EDIT: Hey Panda, you gonna stick a dome on top of that thing or wut??

Nothing wrong with planned builds, there's plenty of those on NeoCraft. If somebody wants to take it on they can extend out one of the roads off spawn tower then build a city or something. I'm all for a little planning actually. One problem with NeoCraft was different themed builds being built next to each other. It can be nice to have some space between them.

Morokh

Uh ! No xD

The very square-ish look of the road would clash with the more natural look of the place, the road leading to it built by Crispy already kind of does.

Making the transition smoother will definitely help, I can look into that if Crispy is okay with it.

But all the rest looks very cool, although i'm personally really not a fan of redstone blocks as building blocks (Vanilla texture pack)

Crispy75

Interesting debate :) When it comes time for the 1.7 world, we will debate it again, I'm sure.

I'll reiterate that I will leave the village well alone, and "feather" the straight road into the start of the rustic road through the village. The rest of the paths will follow the ground contours and have hedge boundaries. It will look quite naturalistic.

Meanwhile: http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/innovate/developers/minecraft-map-britain.html - the whole of Great Britain, at 1:50 scale O_O

masud

Banned
Uh ! No xD

The very square-ish look of the road would clash with the more natural look of the place, the road leading to it built by Crispy already kind of does.

Making the transition smoother will definitely help, I can look into that if Crispy is okay with it.

But all the rest looks very cool, although i'm personally really not a fan of redstone blocks as building blocks (Vanilla texture pack)

Well yeah it would kind of clash but no more than the two different roads already do

Morokh

okay, worked something to make the transition smoother, I also got lucky with some big trees doing so, so I worked with it because I found it helps 'divide' the space.

Thing is it hides partially Minsc's smelter building when you come from spawn, so if it's a problem I'll change it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
when we reset for 1.7, im building underground where i can keep things nice and ugly/barebones. this prettifying of surface structures is hard.

Reminds me of an old indev map I had where I made my "home" underground instead of above.

Are we gonna go with the Amplified world, then?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
when we reset for 1.7, im building underground where i can keep things nice and ugly/barebones. this prettifying of surface structures is hard.

Trust me, it's even more fun (torturous) underground.

Nah, underground bases are great, but my favorite are mountain bases. You get the feel of being underground but you also get to put in windows, overlooks, outdoor staircases, etc. I honestly get somewhat tired of building houses, castles, and towers. With mountain or cave bases its more like carving. You build into and with the existing world rather than just on top of it.

But then I'm a closet dwarf too.

I'm also building an underground base once 1.7 hits. And an extensive nether portal network with portals to every unique biome we can find.

Ark

Trust me, it's even more fun (torturous) underground.

Reminds me of an old indev map I had where I made my "home" underground instead of above.

Are we gonna go with the Amplified world, then?

I'm also building an underground base once 1.7 hits. And an extensive nether portal network with portals to every unique biome we can find.

Congratulations, you have all been selected for construction of Moria 2.0!

I would be up for this :p

Mengy

Congratulations, you have all been selected for construction of Moria 2.0!

I would be up for this :p

I would volunteer in a heartbeat. I may make it on my own if no one else wants to. Moria is still my favorite place from the old server.

If we did build it, I would suggest we make Moria 2.0 as a long underground hall or ravine rather than circular in shape. That would allow us to endlessly and easily expand it in either direction, then people could move in and simply add on to the ends. Maybe make the grand staircase down open into a huge circular room that branches off in the four cardinal directions?

We could build an underground garden area with skylights and all the new flowers...

underground animal pens and horse stables....

oh and the grand staircase needs to be horse friendly (ie; huge) so we can ride into and out of Moria 2.0....

I'd volunteer to build the community branch mine of course...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Hehe, that's great. But yeah I wasn't saying that it wasn't fun, because it is (my favorite, in fact), but rather that the decoration can be just as time-consuming as above ground. Even more so if you want to carve out a large cavern, instead of just rooms.

And when I say caverns, I mean stuff like this:
if you want a video of me walking to my tnt chest, ill make it!

but more to the point, i'd just never build a cavern like that. thats the advantage of underground, you dont have to dress things up. [and even when you want to, you have a lot more options than just a big hole]

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Explosions are the bestest. Usually the aftermath will still need some manual touch-ups, unless you're into that rough look only boomblocks will provide.
i like underground lakes and streams.

bombs are very efficient when you dont have to work the floor afterwards.

Crispy75

Panda, your sugar factory is scary. I presume you're trading it all with your horde of villagers? You'll never mine again :D

It's fascinating how many ways there are to play this game now. Before this server, I'd last played on 1.2, 18 months ago. So much has been added since, I feel a little stuck in my ways!

Ark

I would volunteer in a heartbeat. I may make it on my own if no one else wants to. Moria is still my favorite place from the old server.

If we did build it, I would suggest we make Moria 2.0 as a long underground hall or ravine rather than circular in shape. That would allow us to endlessly and easily expand it in either direction, then people could move in and simply add on to the ends. Maybe make the grand staircase down open into a huge circular room that branches off in the four cardinal directions?

We could build an underground garden area with skylights and all the new flowers...

underground animal pens and horse stables....

oh and the grand staircase needs to be horse friendly (ie; huge) so we can ride into and out of Moria 2.0....

I'd volunteer to build the community branch mine of course...

I always envisioned Moria to be that way and I figured people would build it as such, but one day I logged out and logged on the next day and suddenly Moria was already built :p

The grand staircase could be more grand than just a spiral square too aha.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Panda, your sugar factory is scary. I presume you're trading it all with your horde of villagers? You'll never mine again :D
thats the plan! i'll still mine and harvest the rarer materials. you know; wood, cobble.

It's fascinating how many ways there are to play this game now. Before this server, I'd last played on 1.2, 18 months ago. So much has been added since, I feel a little stuck in my ways!
discovering stuff like anvils, hoppers, horses, etc has been a real treat.

While watching/listening to the Ricky Gervais Show I came up with this magical device using Command Blocks, AND gates, and a RS NOR latch:

Gold block button = day
Obsidian block button = night
Both make the weather clear
You can click multiple times and keep it day or night w/o screwing with the nor latch.

Would love to put this on the Neocraft map + a cmd block to enable creative :D

My creations. I started with one tower, then Shane said I should make 5 more at max height, but I only made one more cause I got tired of falling into lava...that was falling. I'm not sure what I'm gonna make next.

Mengy

New snapshot is out, 13w39a. Most of the changes are just bug fixes, but here are a few of the more notable ones:

- added RED SAND to mesa biomes, new sand color.

- the sky now darkens for thunderstorms like it originally did, very dark now

- boats no longer break upon hitting lily pads!

kidko

New snapshot is out, 13w39a. Most of the changes are just bug fixes, but here are a few of the more notable ones:

- added RED SAND to mesa biomes, new sand color.

- the sky now darkens for thunderstorms like it originally did, very dark now

- boats no longer break upon hitting lily pads!

Boo dark thunderstorms but yay other stuff. Man, if they can fix the screwed up black lighting spots then this will be the best patch EVRRRRR

thats the plan! i'll still mine and harvest the rarer materials. you know; wood, cobble.

discovering stuff like anvils, hoppers, horses, etc has been a real treat.

I think you are our man of industry/commerce. Now I need to find a NPC village out in the wilderness to try this for myself! Anyone know where to find one?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
find one the zombies haven't gotten to? no idea.

i cured zombies to start my villager population. you're welcome to a pair if you can work out the transportation.

that red sand looks good. ive always liked the sound of walking on sand [compared to wood anyway] but the colour clashes with everything. ill use this new stuff. :3

woolley

I think you are our man of industry/commerce. Now I need to find a NPC village out in the wilderness to try this for myself! Anyone know where to find one?
There's a village west of my island. I boxed a bunch in next to the well and there's still a few more villagers running around.

Mengy

Okay, so I learned two things last night about Minecraft that I just did not know at all, and considering how much I play this game I feel kind of stupid.

1. Tools increase in repair costs each time you repair them, but naming a tool reduces that increase considerably.

You know, in retrospect, the fact that tools increase in repair costs with the number of times repaired was right in my face, I simply didn't realize it. It seemed like I needed to grind more and more levels to fix my good tools, but I attributed that feeling to the fact that I was just impatient. Now I know that my gut feeling was spot on. I named my favorite diamond pick last night and huzzah it's much cheaper to repair now. I'm going to name all of my tools from now on.

2. Sleeping in beds in the nether makes them explode violently.

Seriously, when was this implemented? Was it always like this? I now realize I've never tried to sleep in the nether, but man if I had that would have been a HUGE surprise, lol.

I wonder how many other little tidbits like these still exist that I have no clue about...

-Minsc-

Okay, so I learned two things last night about Minecraft that I just did not know at all, and considering how much I play this game I feel kind of stupid.

2. Sleeping in beds in the nether makes them explode violently.

Seriously, when was this implemented? Was it always like this? I now realize I've never tried to sleep in the nether, but man if I had that would have been a HUGE surprise, lol.,

I wonder how many other little tidbits like these still exist that I have no clue about...

Your post about the beds sounds quite similar to one I made a year ago when I discovered that very thing. ;) I think it has always been like that.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

let the trades begin.

very happy with how this building is coming together, but need to explore additional paranoia level lighting solutions. mostly librarians, but i did snag some blacksmith and preist villagers that have been useful in the past. i might eventually sort them into floors below the building.

i've also built a very special holding area for stingy villagers.

Crispy75

Do I understand this correctly: Each booth holds a villager with a good trade. If the trade is exhausted and replaced by a bad one, the villager can be sent to his doom and a fresh one is dropped into place?

Almost Dwarf Fortress in its intricacy and deviousness :D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Do I understand this correctly: Each booth holds a villager with a good trade. If the trade is exhausted and replaced by a bad one, the villager can be sent to his doom and a fresh one is dropped into place?

Almost Dwarf Fortress in its intricacy and deviousness :D
yep.

although at the moment im focused on building an emerald surplus before going after the useful trades. still, i have some useful guys in there, mostly lvl 1 trade diamond gear guys and/or good enchants.

im going to need more cells.

Top Bottom