• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Seanspeed

Banned
Personally I find it to be the opposite. I love playing on new, uncharted territory. Everything is fresh and with the new biomes, possibly more awesome.

Most importantly; fresh resources :D
I don't mind that once in a while, but not all the time. I'm a pretty slow, methodical type of player. I don't get on for hours each day and I take a bit of time building up to the later-game stuff.

It's gonna be a while before 1.7 comes out, then even longer for Bukkit to release their version of it. Plenty of time to build giant penises all over gafville
What is a while? A few weeks? A few months? We don't know. The point is - I now have it in my mind that anything I do is going to be soon deleted, making any of my effort largely a waste of time.

I mean, if everyone else is cool with it, democracy rules, but I cant really be onboard with that. This is my first experience with Minecraft on the PC and I was hoping to join a perpetual online world, where I could just take my time with things. I'm still working on my little home in GAFland at the moment, and my desire to finish my plans are gone now, because that effort will erased sometime soon.

Sorry to sound like such a bitch about it, I'm just a little disappointed.

Ark

I don't mind that once in a while, but not all the time. I'm a pretty slow, methodical type of player. I don't get on for hours each day and I take a bit of time building up to the later-game stuff.

I absolutely understand, but this is actually the first time we've wiped a map since well over 12 months ago. GAFLand has worked really well so far, but the new update is going to be so big it'll be worth wiping for; in my opinion at least.

I say have the migration at spawn, and that'd give me something to do: abandon my tower and instead focus on getting as many diamonds, emeralds and iron bars from this world to transfer over to the next.

Ark

Having the spawn building be an Ark will be what happens if we do wipe. I feel that it makes more sense to wipe GAFLand given how new of a map it is.

I'm still in two minds as to whether or not we should wipe NeoCraft. Perhaps that's a discussion for another time.

kidko

What is a while? A few weeks? A few months? We don't know. The point is - I now have it in my mind that anything I do is going to be soon deleted, making any of my effort largely a waste of time.

I mean, if everyone else is cool with it, democracy rules, but I cant really be onboard with that. This is my first experience with Minecraft on the PC and I was hoping to join a perpetual online world, where I could just take my time with things. I'm still working on my little home in GAFland at the moment, and my desire to finish my plans are gone now, because that effort will erased sometime soon.

I do understand how you feel.

I think the 1.7 update will be worth this wipe, then perhaps we can just leave it alone for a long time, years even!

In the meantime just have fun with GAFLand. experiment with stuff you wouldn't normally build. Try some redstone contraptions. Do stuff that's just inherently fun like exploring caves or running around in the middle of the night and defending a position from the zombie hordes.

Often I find that when I complete a build, it didn't turn out how I imagined it and I learn something from the experience that I can take to my next build. Maybe think of current GAFland as a practice zone for the perfect creation you'll make in 1.7 :]

Ranger X

Having the spawn building be an Ark will be what happens if we do wipe. I feel that it makes more sense to wipe GAFLand given how new of a map it is.

I'm still in two minds as to whether or not we should wipe NeoCraft. Perhaps that's a discussion for another time.

As long as we make the maps available for download I say.

Ark

I think the 1.7 update will be worth this wipe, then perhaps we can just leave it alone for a long time, years even!

The GAFLand map will be left alone for sure after 1.7. Any future wipes will concern only NeoCraft.

As long as we make the maps available for download I say.

The maps will definitely be available for download when wiped. At least NeoCraft v2.0 has the rail system v1 never had :p

I'll say I'd be all for just putting everything we have now up for download and starting on a clean slate with a creative map and a survival map. Neocraft is old and a bit congested and a nice new creative start would be lovely.

I imagine Charlie and Danger would be rather miffed at the prospect of moving on to a new Neocraft map though.

Seanspeed

Banned
I absolutely understand, but this is actually the first time we've wiped a map since well over 12 months ago. GAFLand has worked really well so far, but the new update is going to be so big it'll be worth wiping for; in my opinion at least.

I do understand how you feel.

In the meantime just have fun with GAFLand. experiment with stuff you wouldn't normally build. Try some redstone contraptions. Do stuff that's just inherently fun like exploring caves or running around in the middle of the night and defending a position from the zombie hordes.

Often I find that when I complete a build, it didn't turn out how I imagined it and I learn something from the experience that I can take to my next build. Maybe think of current GAFland as a practice zone for the perfect creation you'll make in 1.7 :]
Some good points. I do realize that 1.7 is a pretty big update, too. I guess it would be a good time to learn some of the more advanced mechanics. When I play Minecraft, I tend to have a very strong sense of 'home', but perhaps I can try and get away from that a bit and explore and discover some more. I've still only scratched the surface of the updates compared to where I was with the 360 version.

Going out at night is properly terrifying now, though! lol3

I don't even know who you are, what makes you think i'm speaking for you.

If people voicing their opinions gets you so hot and bothered you should probably take yourself a bit less seriously.

Oh my god panda, I am so offended that you would even defend the notion of free speech, what is wrong with you? ;)

Don't worry, whatever happens, we will be happy that we still get to MC it up with other fellow Gafers.

Ark

I'll say I'd be all for just putting everything we have now up for download and starting on a clean slate with a creative map and a survival map. Neocraft is old and a bit congested and a nice new creative start would be lovely.

I imagine Charlie and Danger would be rather miffed at the prospect of moving on to a new Neocraft map though.

I have no problems keeping NeoCraft around, but it does make a lot of sense to wipe it for a new map. I will miss the amusement park forever though :(

I went to check it out. You guys made a really awesome town. The dangling animals cracked me up. That's the survival server too? That's a lot of work put into it if so. I can see why people don't want it wiped.

I have no problems keeping NeoCraft around, but it does make a lot of sense to wipe it for a new map. I will miss the amusement park forever though :(

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you don't. Neocraft is our beloved home whilst you lot are out prancing about in your "purrrreeeee surival circle jerk" world, the gentry class are enjoying building great affronts to god himself.

At the end of the day Neocraft is now our "creative world" and has had so much time invested in it that it serves as a great "advert" for what people have achieved. If you get rid of Neocraft and make Gafland the new "creative" world there is no chance in hell it will ever become as sophisticated as Neocraft is.

You see, You see :-
I went to check it out. You guys made a really awesome town. The dangling animals cracked me up. That's the survival server too? That's a lot of work put into it if so. I can see why people don't want it wiped.

And people want to get rid of Neocraft, I'll have your hides I will. I will make a huge majestic dome out of your hides. Don't think I won't do it because if I can make a dome out of square blocks I can make a dome with your hides.

TL;DR Get rid of Neocraft, over my damn, dead, rotting, festering, leaking corpse.

Ark

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you don't. Neocraft is our beloved home whilst you lot are out prancing about in your "purrrreeeee surival circle jerk" world, the gentry class are enjoying building great affronts to god himself.

At the end of the day Neocraft is now our "creative world" and has had so much time invested in it that it serves as a great "advert" for what people have achieved. If you get rid of Neocraft and make Gafland the new "creative" world there is no chance in hell it will ever become as sophisticated as Neocraft is.

I was convinced NeoCraft would never live up to the amazingness that was the original map. And while NeoCraft v2.0 lacks the great community builds of the OG map, it's a much more impressive map.

Though it has never been graced by a completed Ark build ;D

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
travelers be advised:
the pigmen are very angry and there are a lot of them camping the area around the spawn portal/fortress.

ZZMitch

Hey guys, kind of a random issue, but on the Mojang website the gray bar where you can go to your account settings and things does not load for me on Chrome. It loads fine for me on Safari however.

Anyone know a way to fix that?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
if you were attacked by pigmen last night, i may have recovered some of your loot:

if any of this looks familiar, come to my house to collect it. its in a chest you cant miss on the main floor.

GgPMtm2.jpg

I was convinced NeoCraft would never live up to the amazingness that was the original map. And while NeoCraft v2.0 lacks the great community builds of the OG map, it's a much more impressive map.

Though it has never been graced by a completed Ark build ;D

I agree that Neocraft surpassed all our expectations. Never has there been a more dome filled world in humanity's time. However I can literally guarantee you that Gafland becoming the new "creative world" will never achieve what Neocraft has.

The problem Gafland will face is that everyone will want to build on the "new world" in survival. There are very few people wanting to use creative these days. Hell for the most part it is just me and Otamin on Neocraft. If you get rid of Neocraft I can't see Otamin wanting to start his disney world all over again and Gafland will become pretty much abandoned.

If Neocraft is going to be deleted then it might be best to just go the whole hog and stick with one world again (survival only). However when I think of everything on the Neocraft world it seems scandalous we are even considering deleting it :-( . I guess I kinda know how others felt about the original world now lol. Ah well if people want Neocraft gone, it will go I guess but I think it will be a huge mistake myself.

However I can literally guarantee you that Gafland becoming the new "creative world" will never achieve what Neocraft has.

Eh? No one is suggesting Gafland should become creative. I suggested that Neocraft be creative and Gafland be survival and they both get a wipe so we can start anew.

Would we be ok with starting a new Neocraft map once people who are on there are done with their current builds?

maniac-kun said:
Is there a GAF creative mode server?

Yes, the first map you see when you log into Neocraft is creative. Right now you have to always get a moderator to put you in creative every time you log in though.

-Minsc-

Is there a GAF creative mode server?

The NeoCraft server has two worlds available. For your creative needs (survival too if you wish) there is the old NeoCraft map, this is the map you'll log in to when first joining the server. To get creative just ask one of the mods to change your gamemode.

For straight survival we have GafLand which we just started up in August.

Xun

Count me out if NeoCraft gets wiped, I just wouldn't bother with multiplayer again.

It's up to you guys though.

masud

Banned
Don't know what happened but I got disconnected from the server and now I can't get back on, getting a 503 error.

I know. Whoever did that with the pigmen lost me a lot of diamonds.-_-'

Yeah that was my bad, I hit one with an arrow by accident.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
You didn't happen to see my stuff while you were building that tunnel did you? The game booted me before I could try and get it back (probably a good thing)
nope, didnt see anything while building. the only stuff i recovered is in the chest picture above.

Ark

I agree that Neocraft surpassed all our expectations. Never has there been a more dome filled world in humanity's time. However I can literally guarantee you that Gafland becoming the new "creative world" will never achieve what Neocraft has.

The problem Gafland will face is that everyone will want to build on the "new world" in survival. There are very few people wanting to use creative these days. Hell for the most part it is just me and Otamin on Neocraft. If you get rid of Neocraft I can't see Otamin wanting to start his disney world all over again and Gafland will become pretty much abandoned.

If Neocraft is going to be deleted then it might be best to just go the whole hog and stick with one world again (survival only). However when I think of everything on the Neocraft world it seems scandalous we are even considering deleting it :-( . I guess I kinda know how others felt about the original world now lol. Ah well if people want Neocraft gone, it will go I guess but I think it will be a huge mistake myself.

I was only brainstorming with wiping NeoCraft. If it does get wiped, it won't be for a loooong time yet. There's still a lot of space on NeoCraft.

Yes, the first map you see when you log into Neocraft is creative. Right now you have to always get a moderator to put you in creative every time you log in though.

You've just reminded me to fix that. I might check out that commandblock thing tomorrow.

Loam

So I'm looking to get back into minecraft for the first time in what seems like forever and was hoping someone could help me out here. I have very little experience with multiplayer and I've never seen a server that runs two maps, how do I switch to the survival one?

Edit: I'm actually an idiot and spawned in the survival map(?), is there some sort of block that prevents random players from doing anything?

I was only brainstorming with wiping NeoCraft. If it does get wiped, it won't be for a loooong time yet. There's still a lot of space on NeoCraft.

You mean I produced and bagged this wheel barrow load of human faeces to throw at you for nothing ;-)

So I'm looking to get back into minecraft for the first time in what seems like forever and was hoping someone could help me out here. I have very little experience with multiplayer and I've never seen a server that runs two maps, how do I switch to the survival one?

Edit: I'm actually an idiot and spawned in the survival map(?), is there some sort of block that prevents random players from doing anything?

When you join the server you join the neocraft world (our ad hoc creative world now). To go to the survival world called gafland you bring up chat in minecraft (the T key) then type /mv tp gafland that will transport you to the survival world.

Unfortunately when you joined you were just a visitor (you need to be whitelisted). I tried to catch you on the server just now to whitelist you but missed ya. Anyway I have added you to the whitelist so you should be able to interact with the world.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm all for a wipe on the new Gafland once 1.7 hits, the biome changes are sweet enough to warrant a new map IMHO. If you guys want to make the spawn tower into an ark thats a cool idea, but I'll be taking no part of it. I want to start fresh again, it was so much fun this time around and I want to do it that way again.

As for the old Neocraft map, you guys can do what you want with it, keep it online, reset it, take it down, I'll most likely never play on it again once 1.7 hits, LOL.

Crispy75

Spaded the corner off a hill, whilst pressing forwards. Revealed a hole. Fell into it. Fell 20 blocks. Onto a Creeper. Died.

Meanwhile, City Hall begins to take shape, and I'm girdling the spawn tower with paths and (future) gardens. The plan:

wIiPvcM.png

mmmmm, symmetry.

sgt jumpy

Banned
I know it has been answered, but I missed it. My MC auto updated to 1.6.4 or whatever. I really wanted to hop on the server yesterday. How can I go back to a 1.6.2 build? Much appreciated.

Crispy75

I know it has been answered, but I missed it. My MC auto updated to 1.6.4 or whatever. I really wanted to hop on the server yesterday. How can I go back to a 1.6.2 build? Much appreciated.

Start the Launcher
Edit Profile
Use Version: release 1.6.2
Save Profile
Play

kidko

Spaded the corner off a hill, whilst pressing forwards. Revealed a hole. Fell into it. Fell 20 blocks. Onto a Creeper. Died.

Meanwhile, City Hall begins to take shape, and I'm girdling the spawn tower with paths and (future) gardens. The plan:

wIiPvcM.png

mmmmm, symmetry.

Looks awesome. We need you as city planner after the wipe :D

Martian

I really want the PS3 version. I feel like the world on PC is too big for me. I just want a smaller world where everything is in the game (all biomes, mobs etc)

I also get lost a lot, so if the PS3 version is like the Xbox version size-wise, thats going to be great.
Maybe there is a mod for the PC version?

Seanspeed

Banned
I really want the PS3 version. I feel like the world on PC is too big for me. I just want a smaller world where everything is in the game (all biomes, mobs etc)

I also get lost a lot, so if the PS3 version is like the Xbox version size-wise, thats going to be great.
You don't have to wander far. The biomes will all still be well within easy traveling distance. You can use as little or as much space as you want.

sgt jumpy

Banned

The sun and moon always rise and set in the same direction, so try and use them for reference. Also, I find setting torches down as a breadcrumb trail is helpful, mileage may vary on multiplayer servers. Don't travel too far from where you spawn until you become familiar with the lay of the land.

All this in mind, I still get lost occasionally, which is why a compass [four iron bars surrounding red stone] is always on my character.

kidko

Thing is, with PC you get all kinds of tools for not getting lost, like the minimap and dynmap

Top Bottom