• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

conman

Quick question for the Minecraft literate folks in this thread:

I'm teaching Minecraft in a college-level class this next week. They'll be playing singleplayer Survival mode. If I want them to play an initial 5-6 hours, what would be a reasonable building/crafting goal to give them? In other words, I want to be able to tell them, "For class on Monday, be sure to have built/acquired/crafted X."

Keep in mind, this isn't a gaming course (it's a literature course), so many of the students aren't versed in gaming beyond what they play on their phones. I'll be giving them a crash-course in controls, mechanics, and systems before they play, but I want to give them a specific goal. And, yes, they'll be consulting the Wiki as they play.

EDIT: I'd also like to avoid simply saying: "Play 15 full day-night cycles." I'd much rather give them a more tangible goal.

conman

I'll try not to get too technical, but it's a course on commodity fetishism and object relations. Our time with Minecraft follows directly on the heels of playing Zork and reading an excerpt from the novel Robinson Crusoe. The initial purpose is to see the capitalist ideal in action: "homo economicus" (the "economic man") confronted with usable and manipulable resources entirely subject to his needs and ends. However, the hope is that their individual experiences will complicate and disrupt this ideal (but I trust the game's systems to do a lot of this last bit for me).

So, really, I just want to give them a measurable endpoint for the first day. Some "thing" to have achieved or built, then we'll talk about how they actually got there individually--hopefully without any major shortcuts. And I want them to have spent enough time (5-6 hrs) with the game and its systems to have something intelligent to say.

I've played enough Minecraft myself to know the game alright, but not enough to know a good, reliable, measurable standard goal like this for new folks. I'm sure I could figure out something on my own, but I thought I would ask more experienced Minecraft folks first.

789shadow

Banned
They should have at least built a first hidey-hole or small hut, have at least one piece of iron armor, and some sort of renewable food source going.

defel

Maybe something like make an enchanting table capable of reaching level 30 enchants.

An enchantment table requires diamonds and the bookshelves are unusually difficult to make early on in the game. Would encourage them to make cow farms and sugar cane farms to get enough.

woolley

Maybe a semi automated farm of some sort? It's something that could be easily done in that amount of time but would force them to spend some time with the game.

If Minecraft were a VGA dungeon crawler...
2013-11-13_02.09.513bf89.png
EGA, actually. VGA would be 256 color.

OHHHHHHH MYYY GOD, how ya doing me ole mucker ? I thought all you healthcare workers were thrown off the fiscal cliff in sacrifice to the great god Obamacare ;-) . But seriously you need to get back on minecraft and finish Domepolis for me cos I can't be arsed.

Domepolis still needs some work done? Whew... Doing pretty good. I had a benign bone tumor removed from my left femur so I've been in recover mode for about a month. Been playing mostly console games since my computer crapped out, and my new PC is still a WIP but will be a beast once done. What new projects are you working on, on the server?

conman

They should have at least built a first hidey-hole or small hut, have at least one piece of iron armor, and some sort of renewable food source going.

Maybe something like make an enchanting table capable of reaching level 30 enchants.

An enchantment table requires diamonds and the bookshelves are unusually difficult to make early on in the game. Would encourage them to make cow farms and sugar cane farms to get enough.

Maybe a semi automated farm of some sort? It's something that could be easily done in that amount of time but would force them to spend some time with the game.

For 5-6 hours in, they should have a full set of iron armor, plus some sort of livable space, and a renewable food source.
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'll pop back into the thread next week and let you know how it went.

I'm tired of waiting for Bukkit. so I started hosting a small private vanilla server off my PC. I'd like to share a humorous tale of adventure, anger, and despair with y'all.

Setting up shop on a massive jungle island, I had 1 sheep in a pen and all I needed was one more. As daylight broke, I set sail and didn't find another sheep until I was pretty much on the far side of the island. Knowing this was going to be one hell of a herding job just for one sheep, I decided to take the long and safe way back by following the coast all the way around. I really didn't want to deal with the sheep getting stuck in all the bushes and crap in the dense jungle.

Fast forward a long, slow, trek around the entire island, the sun started setting. "Oh crap, I won't make it back before dark.", I said. A friend gave some encouraging words as I made the last bend to our camp. So close! I jumped into the ocean with sheep in tow and made a beeline for our camp. It was now fully night, and as soon as I made it to the pen, I tied the sheep to a fence post. I was so grateful for the journey to finally be over, I did not notice a Creeper had, well... creeped up on me... Before I could react, the jerk exploded and killed the sheep I had just spent over 20 minutes getting there.

Oh the flood of emotions and property damage!

Domepolis still needs some work done? Whew... Doing pretty good. I had a benign bone tumor removed from my left femur so I've been in recover mode for about a month. Been playing mostly console games since my computer crapped out, and my new PC is still a WIP but will be a beast once done. What new projects are you working on, on the server?
eek surgery, I believe the common response to that is OUUUUUUUUUUCHHHHHHHHH. So does this make your name fittingly ironic now ? ;-)

As for new projects the only thing I have planned is to convert the Amusement Dome into the Union Jack when stained glass hits and prettify the other domes. Then I want to beautify some of the gardens on my builds with new flowers as well as finish off Domepolis and it's surrounding domes.

Once I have brought the three main builds up to scratch I might think about doing a new project. I have been hankering after doing a spaceport along with the various ships docked (if I have the ability). But we will see what happens, right now I am getting pretty burned out on minecraft.

I really wish Bukkit would hurry up. I bet it'll update on the 29th. Dammit.

I get the feeling we won't be seeing Bukkit any time soon :-

Bukkit guys said:
Since Minecraft 1.7.2 was released on October 25th we've been working hard towards a CraftBukkit for Minecraft 1.7.2. As we're working with the Minecraft code base which we have no control over, there is no reliable way to determine a communicable ETA until all the work on the update is actually completed.

I know several other mods have yet to be updated (even basic ones) so don't expect Bukkit this side of the zombie Apocalypse.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm tired of waiting for Bukkit.

I really wish Bukkit would hurry up. I bet it'll update on the 29th. Dammit.

I too am tired of waiting for GAFland 1.7.2. I've been playing my SSP world because I don't want to build anything new in GAFland since we are going to be wiping it "soon". But I really miss playing online since I enjoy it so much more than offline. And I have so many ideas for things I want to build too. Once the server is updated I plan on making a quick little house at spawn but then heading out to find a good spot for me to build a new main base, which I plan on making huge. I haven't built anything truly huge since my fortress on Neocraft, so it's time to spend weeks building something immense again.

And I really want to start right freakin now. But I have to wait for the server to update. :(

I wish we had a way of skipping the lengthy bukkit update process entirely...

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
And don't forget that Serge, one of the guys who maintains MCP, the resource everyone uses to mod, was just hired by Mojang. They say it won't affect the update schedule, it'll probably will.

Just sit back, relax, and pretend 1.7.2 doesn't exist. That's what I usually do whenever a new version comes along. -.-

I made this skele dungeon grinder on my server.

http://youtu.be/I8blg0dH-PE

I'm pleasantly surprised how well it's working! Out of all the grinders I've made, this one definitely works the best. Hell of a lot quicker to make, too.

I did change it a bit, making the drop one block lower to kill them on impact and a piston toggle between fall and exp. Also hoppers.

-Minsc-

I'm pleasantly surprised how well it's working! Out of all the grinders I've made, this one definitely works the best. Hell of a lot quicker to make, too.

I did change it a bit, making the drop one block lower to kill them on impact and a piston toggle between fall and exp. Also hoppers.

Cool video, I'll have to check other tutorials done by that fellow. I really like the details.

Mengy

Yeah, I've made several grinders in that fashion. A tad different in construction but similar concept. Works very well.

Bacs

Neo Member
What's new about the maps? I've noticed they connect with each other when you place them in a frame on a wall now, but looking at them in hand I'm still super zoomed in on my location. That is the only difference I have noticed.

Orbis

My game is still at 1.7.2, but it sounds like they enabled some new sounds or something, somehow? Without issuing an update? I'm not sure what it means yet...
I believe the sounds for Minecraft are downloaded while the game runs, so they can probably add new music on the fly like that. And yes it's new music :)

Bubbleblaster

Neo Member
Any chance I can get onto GAFLAND? Didn't even know there was a server for NeoGAF :p

User is: Gamer_of_Choice

Not even to build, ill build like, but I mainly like walking around looking at all the madness people build.

-Minsc-

Any chance I can get onto GAFLAND? Didn't even know there was a server for NeoGAF :p

Not even to build, ill build like, but I mainly like walking around looking at all the madness people build.

If you haven't found it already, quote the OP for the server IP. You'll spawn in NeoCraft, the world which has been online since the final quarter of 2011. We have a newer survival only world called Gafland which can be accessed by entering the command /mv tp gafland.

Ok added ya to the whitelist so you should be able to interact with the world now. Have fun and any probs just post here or pm me.

belushy

Banned
So when we update the server to 1.7.2, are we just going to use a completely random map, or could we do cool seeds? I think it would be neat to have a map that starts in a Mesa biome. Spawn city would look pretty neat.

plus free clay

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So when we update the server to 1.7.2, are we just going to use a completely random map, or could we do cool seeds? I think it would be neat to have a map that starts in a Mesa biome. Spawn city would look pretty neat.

plus free clay
1.7.2 has a command to move the spawn. So they could easily find a Mesa in a copy of the same seed and move the spawn there immediately.

Ark

plus free clay

We can absolutely try to find some cool seeds.

1.7.2 has a command to move the spawn. So they could easily find a Mesa in a copy of the same seed and move the spawn there immediately.

You've been able to move the spawn since the creation of the Essentials plugin, so that's no problem.

What are the exact differences/enhancements of Minecraft on the Xbox One and/or the Playstation 4

Are both of them the same?

Maybe a bigger map? No idea. They just want you to drop £10 on the game again.

Mengy

We can absolutely try to find some cool seeds.

I feel that if we choose a specific seed, then it should be one that has the most amount of the new biomes close to spawn as possible. That way we won't have to search 20,000 blocks in every direction just to find a mesa or a roofed forest.

I saw a thread awhile back about a guy who had programmed an automated search to find seeds just like that. Here were a few seeds that all had the 5 rare biomes within a 3K radius of spawn:

• Mushroom Biome
  • Ice Spikes (packed ice pinnacles)
  • Mesa Bryce (clay pinnacles)
  • Savannas Plateau Mountain (epic isolated moutains)
  • Mega Spruce Tiaga (with mossy boulders and podzol)

The seeds:

-3449445626073841376 (roofed forest at spawn)
34889708182589553 (spawn is on an extreme hills island, but has both large ice spikes and mesa biomes close by)
6719172414383781019 (spawn next to mooshroom island, has a HUGE mesa biome in it, plus several roofed forests)
-1690246225162411013 (spawn next to mesa biome, lots of savannah)
-4897237342780767485 (mesa near spawn, lots of the new biomes all around)
-7466601324544625476 (spawn in savannah next to mesa)

And my favorite of them all:

-8775729445534412918 (spawn on island, but this one has EVERY biome within a 3000 block radius, several large mesas, very nice)

Mirk

And my favorite of them all:

-8775729445534412918 (spawn on island, but this one has EVERY biome within a 3000 block radius, several large mesas, very nice)

So being bored today I set NeoCrack up with vanilla 1.7.2. I used this seed and you're right this is a great seed. White-list is still all good so if anyone wants to play on the server feel free. Been building a castle town most the day on a island. Far from done thou.

thespot84

So being bored today I set NeoCrack up with vanilla 1.7.2. I used this seed and you're right this is a great seed. White-list is still all good so if anyone wants to play on the server feel free. Been building a castle town most the day on a island. Far from done thou.

can i get on the whitelist? (same username as here)

Mengy

Yeah, I like this seed a lot. If we pick a specific seed for the new GAFland then my choice is -8775729445534412918.

Crispy75

Here's a map of that seed

8775729445534412918.png

It is nice to have Mooshroom and Mesa biomes so close to spawn, but that spawn island is pretty small. I like the way Gafland has a center to it for new arrivals. With this map, everyone's going to scatter immediately and spawn will just be a building or two and a bunch of bridges heading off past the viewing distance. I suggest moving spawn to the plains/forest area NW of the island.

If we choose this seed, of course :)

belushy

Banned
Here's a map of that seed

It is nice to have Mooshroom and Mesa biomes so close to spawn, but that spawn island is pretty small. I like the way Gafland has a center to it for new arrivals. With this map, everyone's going to scatter immediately and spawn will just be a building or two and a bunch of bridges heading off past the viewing distance. I suggest moving spawn to the plains/forest area NW of the island.

What program do you use to generate this map?

edit: Oh and I think the most recent patch fixed using redstone blocks and glowstone for X-Ray machines

Mengy

Eh, so we just make Spawn Village a nice large coastal town, where many of the houses are on stilts out in the water with boardwalks and bridges out to them. We then build huge bridges in all four cardinal directions out to the mainland away from Waterworld.

I'm sure we can work with it, this is Neocraft! At worst we just farm huge amounts of dirt and enlarge the island ourselves...

I believe it's AMIDST, that's what I used.
Thank you so much, I came here to ask that exact question. My buddies and I decided to buy a server from fragnet and we're looking for a good seed we can all be happy with. This sure beats flying around the seeds with maps in creative!

Top Bottom