• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Or we can do what I did and go in mcedit and make that island much bigger! :)

Yeah, I'd rather do it in game. That's half the fun for me. Nah, that's more than half the fun....

thespot84

So being bored today I set NeoCrack up with vanilla 1.7.2. I used this seed and you're right this is a great seed. White-list is still all good so if anyone wants to play on the server feel free. Been building a castle town most the day on a island. Far from done thou.

you built this in a DAY?!?!?!

Mirk

you built this in a DAY?!?!?!

Well most of it I have built many times before the buildings are all from MC and the Millinaire mod. I know the structures by heart lol. and I was in creative. I am just trying to build a nice spawn city. Then a nether hub that goes out to each biome.

Anyone know of any programs that can do the following?
-Open a world and generate all the land in an area like exploring would normally.

Like, on my server, I'm going crazy trying to find a friggen mesa biome. We're already set up and don't want to start over, and I'm just sick of exploring (and lagging everyone), lol. So it'd be nice to have a program that could open the world and generate all the missing land. Then I could just make a quick server map and be on my merry way.

I did see some generators, but it was for crazy land masses and custom junk. I just want regular, default, MC generation.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't look like it's been updated yet.
You'd think it'd be easy to update since it only needs the code for the fractal generation. Guess the changed to the code must be bigger than we thought. I guess the de-obfuscation tools just aren't there yet at all.

Really wish it worked. I am going to need another Mesa. The one I found for our clay stash is pretty small and will be gone eventually.

Mengy

You'd think it'd be easy to update since it only needs the code for the fractal generation. Guess the changed to the code must be bigger than we thought. I guess the de-obfuscation tools just aren't there yet at all.

Really wish it worked. I am going to need another Mesa. The one I found for our clay stash is pretty small and will be gone eventually.

Um, I have a version of Amidst that works just fine with 1.7.2, it identifies all of the new biomes. I could have sworn I got it from the official site?

Mengy

Maybe if I took the time to pay attention, y'all were talking exactly about the kind of program I was looking for... Well, kind of.

Artist, AMIDST doesn't actually generate any Minecraft land or blocks, it simply takes the seed number and generates a biome map based on the actual game code. It's useful for searching out certain biomes in a world, or checking to find a seed that has a good biome layout for example, or even finding where villages and temples should generate in a world. It can't tell you what the land actually looks like, nor tell you how big those villages will be, nor tell you how high a mountain will be.

I've used it in the past when starting new worlds to "preview" what a seed will look like biome and ocean wise, or even when trying to decide what direction to explore in, it's useful for that. Although I generally just prefer to explore in game as I find it more fun.

So guys, I know I haven't been active around here, but there's a project I've been working on that I think will excite some people... The project is called AbsurdityCraft. Details to follow.

w7XVjF6.jpg

The long and short of it is that I've been working hard for a month or so, tinkering around with building a 1.6.4 modpack from the ground up, and it's at a point now where I've been able to launch a stable server on it. Don't let the word "modpack" scare you off though! The basic principles involved are to expand minecraft's core experience and provide an absurd amount of things to do while accommodating all interests and playstyles. You're not pressured into doing stuff you don't enjoy. The vanilla experience is still there, but there's a lot more to play with if you choose to do so. I don't want this to be FTB, where people just sit in their base and build machines. That is one playstyle you can do in this, but it's only one side of the modpack. There's stuff for the builders, stuff for the adventurers, and for the tech wizards alike. This encourages people to do their own unique thing, as well as engage in collaboration. I've really designed this with the hope of seeing lots of exciting projects happening on the server.

There's also a slightly reduced grind overall. Ore generation has been bumped up and re-configured a little. Some might find this undesirable on principle, but overall it reduces the time you need to spend mindlessly digging around for materials to do your projects with. Keep in mind that increased ore generation does not mean reduced difficulty. There is plenty of difficulty to be found here, but I think many would agree that spending hours grinding is not a legitimate form of difficulty. I understand that the first time we all played minecraft and found diamonds for the first time ever, it was a rare and exciting experience. By now, though, that has changed. Finding materials feels like a chore a lot of the time. There are, however, new high-tier ores of considerable rarity, but they are a luxury, rather than a hurdle or grind to overcome.

My goals for this server are pretty simple. I'd like to build a fun little community of friendly individuals (think mindcrack-ish) to play on the server and have fun with. I'm not advertising on minecraftforum or anything like that, and certainly not looking to make money. I just want people to get together and have fun with the modpack I've put together, and I feel like the gaf community has the right kinds of people.

I really want this community to be built from the ground up by the players. You won't spawn in some pimped-out megastructure that was built in creative mode. Again, think mindcrack. We can build a town at the server spawn point, but none of it is gonna be cheated in, and you can play an active role in its development. Build your houses, shops, restaurants, apartments, and whatever else your imagination can come up with.

Here's a sort of generalized list of features I've written up:

• More world variation! ExtraBiomesXL, Natura, and Underground Biomes provide the world with lots of new unique and interesting terrain, with tons of new foliage including new plants and wood types! Underground you will find tons of different types of stone (based on biome and height level) in addition to the generic minecraft stone, all interchangeable for crafting recipes! Basically, the world feels a lot more interesting, and you'll have a lot of materials to build with!
  • More Ores & Custom tool-making! In addition to the original minecraft tools, you can find lots of ores around the world with unique properties. Melt down any ore to its molten form and cast it into tool parts to build your own unique custom tools!
  • Unique Food! Grow cool new plants on your farm and make lots of exciting foods, from bacon cheese potatoes to Carrot Cake to Pasta to Hot Cocoa! Also: Beer and Wine (coming soon)! You can even open a restaurant and monetize your culinary exploits!
  • Unique and Scary Monsters! In AbsurdityCraft you will find all the original minecraft mobs, as well as a lot of interesting variations on them! Defeat rare buffed mobs for a chance at rare ores, tools, armor, heart containers, and even unique, procedurally-generated artifacts (think roguelike)!
  • Explore Dungeons! Dangerous dungeons generate in the world for you to conquer and loot! Keep in mind, these will not be easy!
  • Give more flavor and purpose to your structures! AbsurdityCraft adds tons of new building materials to the game, as well as a way to cut blocks down to slabs and even smaller parts! Build a structure that is truly uniquely yours, and give each room a true purpose with everything from kitchen machines to magic research desks to power generators! Now more than ever, what you do with your buildings is entirely up to you!
  • Magic and Technology! Create your own spells, tailored to your needs and playstyle! Research the elements that govern the universe! Create your own unique, original magical spells! Build technology both modern and arcane! Build power plants of all kinds, from nuclear to geothermal to biofuel to solar, wind, and hydroelectric power!
  • Build your own boats and airships! You can turn any structure you can dream up (of 2000 blocks or less) into a boat or airship that you can then captain! Think of the possibilities!
  • Reduced Grind! Don’t misunderstand; there is plenty of difficulty to be found in AbsurdityCraft! However, basic minecraft ore generation has been re-configured to discourage unfun grindy activities like branch-mining (though you can still do this and gain from it if you like!) and reduce the time spent gathering ores for your projects. The basic idea is that ores now generate at any y level, because digging straight down to y level 12 and tunnelling for hours is simply Not Fun for most people.

If you want to play (and you totally should) just do the following!
1. Send me a PM with your minecraft name to be whitelisted!
2. Go to http://www.technicpack.net/download , get the launcher, and run it.
3. On the lefthand side of the launcher, go to add new pack, then paste the following url: (quote this post to see!)
4. Click the options button in the upper-right of the launcher and increase your minecraft memory (about half of what your computer has is good, you might be able to get away with more).
5. Connect to the server!

Server address is here:
(quote post to see)

For reference, here are some general tips, as well as a (incomplete, as of right now) mods list with links to mod guides:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tMF_yKxU2zHzTkqrh_EygZE0175Y69PnXXSXdZkhyBk/edit?usp=sharing
Again, don't let this list intimidate you! It's there to show you what you can do with this modpack/server. By no means is it a list of what you have to do.

And here's a picture of our spawn valley, waiting to be turned into an awesome town or whatever we end up doing!

note: I'm not trying to take people away from NeoCraft! I just think this could be a fun supplement to that for a lot of people who want something a bit different.

And of course, have fun!

(TL;DR: I'm running a totally rad not-solely-tech-focused modpack private server. Easy to install. I want the community to be mostly gaffers. You should be a part of it.)

conman

Just wanted to pop in and say a quick thanks to folks in this thread for the Minecraft teaching suggestions last week. I ended up making a basic checklist of a handful of things for my students to craft and the materials they needed to make them from (e.g. make a sword with X, make a full set of armor using Y, build a house with Z, etc).

Worked out well. Turned into a good discussion of design constraint vs. player freedom, and the internalization of rules and systems as virtualized "ideology." Fun stuff.

Drazgul

So guys, I know I haven't been active around here, but there's a project I've been working on that I think will excite some people... The project is called AbsurdityCraft.

Cool stuff! Do you also have Metallurgy and ExtraTiC (didn't see those listed), or is "We’ve added support for metallurgy metals for absurd levels of customization!" in TiC description just a remnant from something else?

Cool stuff! Do you also have Metallurgy and ExtraTiC (didn't see those listed), or is "We’ve added support for metallurgy metals for absurd levels of customization!" in TiC description just a remnant from something else?

The mods list isn't complete; I'm still working on all the documentation to help players out, but yeah I've got those going on. It's a lot of fun!

Looks interesting!

Watched a vid going over some stuff on that DartCraft mod and that seems super cool.

Dartcraft has tons of fun stuff to play with, if perhaps slightly overpowered in ways.

Vlad

The mods list isn't complete; I'm still working on all the documentation to help players out, but yeah I've got those going on. It's a lot of fun!

I can't wait to start messing around with the new Thaumcraft, myself. Looks like he's done a HUGE overhaul to it since TC3.

Drazgul

Yeah Dartcraft was rather easymode in its early versions (you could very easily get Fortune IV, for example), but afaik it has gotten somewhat better since. It's a nigh impossible task to do a perfect cross-mod balancing with large modpacks these days, so apart from blatant exploits it's not something to worry about.

I can't wait to start messing around with the new Thaumcraft, myself. Looks like he's done a HUGE overhaul to it since TC3.

Been playing with TC4 already (almost researched out the entire Thaumnomicon + Thaumic Tinker stuff) and yeah ... it's different, in both good and slightly less good ways.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just noticed that when I am playing MineCraft and I go into fullscreen, it changes to 1440x900 resolution on my Retina display. Which makes it look extremely blurry. It looks better when windowed. Is there any way, without needing Optifine (Since it won't be available for 1.7 for quite a while if ever) to make it use a different resolution? It wouldn't be a problem if display resolution changing didn't blur the pixels. But since it does, it just looks bad. At least crisp pixels would look like my old display and would be fine.

Support for AbsurdityCraft has exceeded expectations! People seem to be having fun with it.

Just a quick note: If you fire up the game and there's no sound, copy the assets folder from your appdata/roaming/.minecraft folder, and paste it into .technic

Techniclauncher apparently changed the way folders are handled in 1.6, and it won't download the sounds by itself like minecraft is supposed to. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to re-distribute the assets for obvious reasons, so I can't actually put them in the modpack.

I didn't even know that hence why I googled lol

Fair enough. Now come play with us!

EDIT: well this is certainly a unique problem. Client is crashing on startup because my system date is Nov. 21 and pluginsforforestry is trying to load some kind of holiday content. Looks like other people on different modpacks are having the same issue. Changing your system date to nov 20 fixes it.

Trying to launch AbsurdityCraft makes the game crash to launcher. Then I remembered Biv saying something about the 21st so changed system date to 20th. That launched the game, but now I'm getting "Bad Login" when trying to join the server. :(

Edit:.... then I look 2 posts above me...

Gonna be rolling out a version update that fixes a few things shortly!

To clarify: you won't be able to connect to the server until the update is out, because the server is running new versions of several mods. Will be up in 30 minutes-ish.

EDIT: AbsurdityCraft 1.3.0 is out!
-Added DecoCraft
-Resolved some ID conflicts
-moved the armor status hud to the upper left
-fixed plugins for forestry holiday crash
-updated tropicraft, applied energistics, gany's mods, and minefactory reloaded
-updated bibliocraft to fix the oak desk of ultimate doom issue

The guide has also been updated so it's easier now than ever before for you guys to jump in and figure out what all you can do!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tMF_yKxU2zHzTkqrh_EygZE0175Y69PnXXSXdZkhyBk/edit?usp=sharing

Sarcasm

Twitch hasn't worked for me for 3 days at least.

I can see ads and chat but every video is either grey or offline when they aren't.

Ok, the community center on AC is producing its first bit of energy!

Currently running a biofuel generator to an MFE.

If you have too many saplings, seeds, and all that jazz, just chuck it in the reactor there!

Oh whilst I remember, arkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk there is something wrong with the permissionnnnnnnnnnnsssss on the serrrrverrrrrrrrrr fix it pleasy weasy :-D

Yeah seems like donators cannot use lava or lava buckets on ole Neocraft. Don't blame me it was Dry that discovered the issue. Apparently he likes playing with "hot stuff".

AC 1.4.0 is out!

-crafting suite added (new version of the old project table!)
-ExtraTiC fixed
-difficulty has been reduced for the kids who kept complaining :p
-adjusted gravestones to appear on any block, even on ice or in lava, and to hold ALL your items upon death.

...and you'll probably need to let me know what mekanism machines you had, because they most likely turned into molten metal. It was the only way to fix extratic.

Mengy

So yeah, the first development build of Bukkit for 1.7.2 will be out by the end of the week:

https://twitter.com/EvilSeph/status/405472738879340544

That still means they are a long ways off from a usable build, let alone a release build. I think GAFland is staying at 1.6.4 for quite a long time yet.

Maybe I'll build something in the old Neocraft world for now, I feel like building something but I don't want to start anything in GAFland since we will be resetting it. I'm tired of waiting, sigh.

I have a question regarding the use of portals.

I would like to have access to a diverse array of biomes in my single player game. Because all biomes seem to be spaced out far apart from your spawn point, it seems like portals are my only option right now. Can anyone give me strategic portal placements, as I've never done this before. Would spacing one portal from another at 64 blocks increase my chance at finding a desert in the overworld?

I'm really trying to level a mountain, but I need sand and gunpowder to provide me tnt. Also, there's the issue of gunpowder. I have a fall mob grinder that doesn't do shit right now. Any advice? Anyone?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
well the good news is that when explosion day does come, i now have an internet connection capable of streaming it.

Mengy

I don't remember Bukkit taking this long to implement an update before..

didnt they change something big this time around that effects plugins?

the api whatsit or something?

Yes, they made a lot of changes to the Minecraft code in preparation for the mod API coming out down the road. That broke a lot of the Bukkit code links, so they have to change Bukkit now to work the new way. The silver lining is that this will also make Bukkit much more prepared for when the true mod API is patched in, so it's work that has to be done eventually. The bad news is that it's going to take awhile, as much changed.

Morokh

I have a question regarding the use of portals.

I would like to have access to a diverse array of biomes in my single player game. Because all biomes seem to be spaced out far apart from your spawn point, it seems like portals are my only option right now. Can anyone give me strategic portal placements, as I've never done this before. Would spacing one portal from another at 64 blocks increase my chance at finding a desert in the overworld?

I'm really trying to level a mountain, but I need sand and gunpowder to provide me tnt. Also, there's the issue of gunpowder. I have a fall mob grinder that doesn't do shit right now. Any advice? Anyone?

To discover specific new biomes, you're better off finding them in the overworld, placing a portal there, and make roads/tunnels in the nether after that, to connect your different portals.

Even if it's very far in the overworld, the distance will always be divided by 8 in the nether.

Randomly creating new portals in the nether is a great way to load new chunks far away without having to travel too far, but to find specific biomes it's as random as it gets, especially now that the biomes are themed together.

For your grinder, supposing it's a good design, your only real option is to eliminate every other possible spawning block (or at least as much as humanly possible) by lighting up all caves and dark areas in a 128 block radius around your spawner.

Top Bottom