• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Sarcasm

To discover specific new biomes, you're better off finding them in the overworld, placing a portal there, and make roads/tunnels in the nether after that, to connect your different portals.

Even if it's very far in the overworld, the distance will always be divided by 8 in the nether.

Randomly creating new portals in the nether is a great way to load new chunks far away without having to travel too far, but to find specific biomes it's as random as it gets, especially now that the biomes are themed together.

For your grinder, supposing it's a good design, your only real option is to eliminate every other possible spawning block (or at least as much as humanly possible) by lighting up all caves and dark areas in a 128 block radius around your spawner.

I think he knows the locations of said biomes..he want to connect them or make travel faster to them from his base.

I don't know how to but there are mods like map or something..try map writer or something.

Actually, I don't. I haven't ventured out too far beyond a single map. It always gets dark before I'm able to explore in depth. I want to find a desert, but there's none nearby. Anyone have a great "yarn in the cavern" technique to use for getting back to my homebase? I'm surrounded by thick vegatation in all directions. Should venturing out be done incrementally? It'll take me ages before I can deforest an entire region before I can venture forth with confidence. Is burning down forests a viable option? Are blasting mountains a viable option as well? I'd really like to build some neat shit, but the terrain makes that impossible. But at the same time, leveling off the terrain to more favorable dimensions will be ridiculously time consuming even with enchanted diamond tools.

For your grinder, supposing it's a good design, your only real option is to eliminate every other possible spawning block (or at least as much as humanly possible) by lighting up all caves and dark areas in a 128 block radius around your spawner.

Any hidden caves that I may be overlooking?

Just tried out the new twitch streaming thing. I am surprised at how well it works after you have set it all up (had to mess about creating a twitch account). Never gonna use it but what the hell I like "experimentation".

I just wish we could get Nvidia's shadowplay working with minecraft, I may have mentioned that half a million times.

belushy

Banned
Haven't touched MC in ages and when I start it I always go nah and exit =S

Same. I'm really just waiting for NeoCraft to get put up to 1.7. Single Player isn't nearly as fun for me as it used to. I usually play a month after a new update and then just get bored again.

Hey guys, I've never really played this game in the past couple years but my 8 year old is totally into it. What's a good "whole system" I could buy for him to play it on? Something like a Tablet or Portable system ... nothing that takes a TV like a 360 or something, cheap laptop at $300 or so might work.

Any ideas? Would like to get him a tablet that he could take on trips and such but keeping options open.

Thanks!

Hey guys, I've never really played this game in the past couple years but my 8 year old is totally into it. What's a good "whole system" I could buy for him to play it on? Something like a Tablet or Portable system ... nothing that takes a TV like a 360 or something, cheap laptop at $300 or so might work.

Any ideas? Would like to get him a tablet that he could take on trips and such but keeping options open.

Thanks!

A tablet would only allow for Minecraft pocket edition, which is pretty bare in terms of features. A $300 laptop... maybe it could run the game at its lowest settings. Maybe. If you're lucky.

Isn't there a PS Vita version coming out? I'm not sure, but it could be worth looking into.

belushy

Banned
Yeah, I'd suggest waiting for the PS Vita. Then he will also have a library of games to play with besides that. (I'm not sure how many are suitable for 8 year olds but I guess the library is there once he gets older.)

A tablet would only allow for Minecraft pocket edition, which is pretty bare in terms of features. A $300 laptop... maybe it could run the game at its lowest settings. Maybe. If you're lucky.

Isn't there a PS Vita version coming out? I'm not sure, but it could be worth looking into.

Yeah, I'd suggest waiting for the PS Vita. Then he will also have a library of games to play with besides that. (I'm not sure how many are suitable for 8 year olds but I guess the library is there once he gets older.)

ha, funny. I just bought a Vita for myself (to go with the PS4). Looks like another one is in my future! Is it supposed to be a good version, on par with the 360 or PC version? Also, when does it come out?

Same. I'm really just waiting for NeoCraft to get put up to 1.7. Single Player isn't nearly as fun for me as it used to. I usually play a month after a new update and then just get bored again.

I used to feel this way until I started playing a Feed the Beast pack. I found it much more engaging than what vanilla minecraft can do alone. I would really like to try it multiplayer, but there are no decent servers that I know of.

ha, funny. I just bought a Vita for myself (to go with the PS4). Looks like another one is in my future! Is it supposed to be a good version, on par with the 360 or PC version? Also, when does it come out?

I heard it's supposed to be a port of the 360 version, which is slightly behind the PC version. I haven't tried it out myself, but it seems to be quite popular.

belushy

Banned

I believe the Vita is the same as the Xbox 360 version. I have no clue when it comes out though. Early to mid next year is my guess.

I heard it's supposed to be a port of the 360 version, which is slightly behind the PC version. I haven't tried it out myself, but it seems to be quite popular.

I believe the Vita is the same as the Xbox 360 version. I have no clue when it comes out though. Early to mid next year is my guess.

Cool, thanks. I Googled to try to find a date and it seems there isn't one announced. Maybe a more powerful laptop is in order ... dang.

Mirk

Nope! :D I am rocking the dell venue 8 pro tablet. Its a Pc and plays Minecraft 1.7.2 at 25-45 fps! you can find the 32gb for around $250.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Nope! :D I am rocking the dell venue 8 pro tablet. Its a Pc and plays Minecraft 1.7.2 at 25-45 fps! you can find the 32gb for around $250.

With or without Optifine? I had a netbook with an Atom processor but it only ran 10 FPS and I was afraid the thing would melt.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Careful, those crash logs list where the game gave up, not where the crash necessarily was. (Although 99% of the time it is in the same place)

Meh, what do drawbridges have to do with designing custom tools, anyways? You're overstepping your purview, Tinker's Construct.

So I went ahead and bought the PC version. What's the best method to control with a 360 pad?

I don't think there's an official way per say, but check the Guild Wars 2 thread, the hoopleheads over there have links to programs that involve binding keystrokes to 360 controllers.

Drazgul

Here is the thing, this is Minecraft. And Java. Things work better SP than they do MP.

Yeah, SMP is a very different beast from SP. It works fine for my local worlds, too, but the tinkers construct thread has similar reports. Plus it doesn't seem to handle certain special blocks well, so it might not be strictly speaking an SMP issue, but whatever block the player used to build the drawbridge with.

Messing around in SP since I can't access the AC server... Tried to spawn a Tainted Crawler just to see what it looked liked and the game crashed. Now I can't enter that world 'cause the game crashes upon entry, lol. I had my community center mockup in that save too... oh well.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member

Trying to find a good mobile solution to playing Minecraft, but I keep forgetting all the mods I run would probably require a full fledged PC. At least it inspired me to fix up my Dell Mini 9, even with it's tiny keyboard it's much, much better at IRCing and SSHing then any Android solution.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I should probably use something other then OpenJDK, everyone recommends not to use that.

If the server is up, it's not necessarily fixed, it's just that I'm working on stuff. There will be a version update when this is done.

Messing around in SP since I can't access the AC server... Tried to spawn a Tainted Crawler just to see what it looked liked and the game crashed. Now I can't enter that world 'cause the game crashes upon entry, lol. I had my community center mockup in that save too... oh well.

Don't delete the world! Just remove Thaumcraft from your mods folder, load the world once, close minecraft and add TC back in. That should fix virtually any singleplayer issue of that sort.

EDIT:

So...

There's a new version of Tinkers' Construct that fixes the drawbridge crash. However, there is no version of ExtraTiC that supports this new TiC just yet. Essentially, people are going to lose a few tools until ExtraTiC comes back. There's really no way to get around that at the moment.

double edit:

false alarm! extratic is go. Now working on updating a bunch of mods and fixing some ID conflicts.

If you guys have any mod requests, now would be the time!

You da bes. Will try your fix :)

As for mod suggestion, I'm a pretty huge Myst fan and I've always been curious to try MystCraft!

That's actually what I just finished adding!

However, fair warning: if people go crazy creating tons of mystcraft ages I will delete them, and probably the mod as well. It's not an issue of lag because the ages won't be loaded when nobody's in them, but it could become an issue of server space if we were to get into several tens of different mystcraft ages.

New version is uploading now (finally!)

Drazgul

However, fair warning: if people go crazy creating tons of mystcraft ages I will delete them, and probably the mod as well. It's not an issue of lag because the ages won't be loaded when nobody's in them, but it could become an issue of server space if we were to get into several tens of different mystcraft ages.

Just prune them occasionally, apart from some communal ages (a dedicated traveling nexus age, for example)? But yeah ages should never be created carelessly in SMP, random testing and such can be done in SP just as well.

Not quite finished uploading, but in case you wanted to know the changes, here's what's in store! Several things fixed, a slightly regrettable goodbye, and a few fun little oddball mods.

Changes:

-Added mystcraft! (link)
-Added dimensional doors! (link)
-Added NoMoreRecipeConflict! (if you run into a recipe conflict, hit the right arrow key to cycle through crafting results! This means you can now craft all the different types of wooden stairs that were previously uncraftable and such)
-Added gun customization! (link)
-Added component equipment! (link) Not much documentation for this one. It has an in-game manual you can craft, though.
-Added gravitation suite! (link)

-Removed Special Mobs. It was causing issues with the way other mods needed to handle vanilla mob spawning, most notably dartcraft.

-Fixed several ID conflicts, most notably the various extraTiC metals casting into random objects.

Upload will be finished in a bit! It's going slower than usual. Mainland China internet is not the most consistent in the world.

Kuntz

Good job !

Started a single player world to get used to things, trying to learn things without any guides, so many things I don't know.

But there's one thing. The game crashes everytime I die.

Oh well i'll try to survive better anyway.

Good job !

Started a single player world to get used to things, trying to learn things without any guides, so many things I don't know.

But there's one thing. The game crashes everytime I die.

Oh well i'll try to survive better anyway.

Oh man, thanks for catching that! It's from an old mod we stopped using on the server ages ago, but still active for singleplayer, Go to your mods folder and delete a mod called InventorySaver. That should fix the crashes.

Don't let yourself feel overwhelmed! For all intents and purposes you can play like vanilla minecraft and just figure stuff out as you feel like it.

Plus once you start playing online you'll have tons of awesome people around to help you out.

EDIT: and we're live!

Cmagus

Just found this cool ice area I haven't seen anything like this before just thought it was neat.

iBjYyMKGNe0BJ.png

Hot diggitty! ADVANCED JETPAAAAAACK

Edit: After building my glorious Adv. jetpack, I finally got something done in the comcenter. There's a Smeltery right in the middle of it! Hopefully I built it right. Also, I placed a Volcanic Furnace next to it to generate lava. Just throw anything and every thing in that. Buckets in the chest opposite. Need someone to make all the patterns and shiz!

Next up: That laser assembly table room thingy so I can make some gates finally :p

Drazgul

Is the issue persisting when you join now? Rotarycraft is doing some really weird stuff since the update. Try removing the mod and connecting and see what happens.

Huh yeah, funnily enough that fixed it. I thought servers require clients to have same mods installed before they let them even join?

Huh yeah, funnily enough that fixed it. I thought servers require clients to have same mods installed before they let them even join?

They do. I removed rotarycraft for the moment because it's causing problems that are sort of beyond what I can fix, and as far as I know, nobody's been using the mod anyway.

EDIT: ExtraTiC will be unavailable for a little while.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Also, did I see that CraftBukkit is in 1.7.2 now? Is that good news for us?

Yes it's very good news, but we still have a long time until Neocraft can be updated by Multiplay. If I had to guess, we won't see Neocraft update to 1.7.2 until after Christmas. :(

At least there is progress.

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
They do. I removed rotarycraft for the moment because it's causing problems that are sort of beyond what I can fix, and as far as I know, nobody's been using the mod anyway.

EDIT: ExtraTiC will be unavailable for a little while.

To be perfectly honest, RotaryCraft was a bit more 'simulator' then most of the people on the server appeared to be comfortable with, and 3 minutes looking through the block list doesn't reveal anything that can't be reasonably created with the 200 other mods in the pack.

1.6.4 Forge is a beautiful thing, but even it has limits.

Update 1.5.1 is out. Just a couple little fixes.
-updated buildcraft
-updated gravestone mod
-updated neiplugins and neiaddons
-removed rotarycraft
-removed reactorcraft
-removed inventory saver
-fixed extratic issues

Top Bottom