• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
as interesting as a potion economy could be, i can see myself getting really frustrated with no health regen pretty quickly.

i take a lot of fall damage.

Ark

I can't get behind no helath regen. That's a hardcore step too far, IMO.

I am still strongly in favour of a proper ground zero reset, though. No carry over of inventory and everybody has to punch trees.

I thought this was the idea. Unless I implement Multiverse Inventories it would impossible to transfer items over easily.

Isn't health regen turned off on GAFLand anyway?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Isn't health regen turned off on GAFLand anyway?

No, health regen works just like vanilla Minecraft does: hearts regen when the hunger bar is full.

edit: also I saw some interesting seeds on reddit the other day: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/1svd6p/174_ten_good_seeds/ Maybe we can use one of these.

I still think we should use this seed for GAFland 1.7:

It has at least one of every biome within a 3000 block radius of spawn, including ALL of the new biomes plus variants. It also has several large mesa biomes within that range, so plenty of clay blocks for all. Again the only downside is that spawn is located on a large island, but I say we work with it and either create a coastal spawn village or import dirt blocks from the surrounding areas and enlarge the island to whatever size we want. It might be cool to have a huge coastal spawn island with bridges extending off in every direction.

8775729445534412918.png

I still think we should use this seed for GAFland 1.7:

It has at least one of every biome within a 3000 block radius of spawn, including ALL of the new biomes plus variants. It also has several large mesa biomes within that range, so plenty of clay blocks for all. Again the only downside is that spawn is located on a large island, but I say we work with it and either create a coastal spawn village or import dirt blocks from the surrounding areas and enlarge the island to whatever size we want. It might be cool to have a huge coastal spawn island with bridges extending off in every direction.
Even mushroom biomes? I recall those being difficult to find on other servers I played on - I mean, they're everywhere, but when you set out to find one at random on the open sea, you'll miss pretty much all of them.

Games without some form of health regen have mostly gone the way of the dodo for a damn good reason. I would quit Minecraft.
I dunno, if no health regen was traded for food items directly healing you like they used to, that's not too bad. If it doesn't trade that off, leaving you with no health regen and only golden foods being able to heal you, then everyone's going to die within a few nights.

Mengy

perfect seeds feel dirty.

hit random and have at it i say! brave the uncharted frontier!

I would agree 99% of the time, but on a public server where we try our best to keep the map file size at manageable levels, making sure we have access to all of the new building options can help a lot. In 1.7 some of the new biomes are rare, I mean so rare that many seeds don't have a mesa biome within a 10,000 block radius. The redwood biomes are especially rare. In my SSP world I have yet to find an ice spike biome, and I've searched up to 15,000 blocks away in several directions.

Like I said though, it's just a suggestion. Either way I plan on spending a shit ton of time on the new GAFland, lol.

Vlad

For those interested, the new Mindcrack UHC started earlier tonight. Looks like five teams of four players each, with Dinnerbone involved again.

One interesting wrinkle is that it looks like achievments are displaying in chat as people earn them, which should make things interesting if people go to the nether, since it will broadcast it to the entire server.

limlark

That screenshot of Mengy's seed looks glorious and even if we don't use that one specifically, I agree with the general point. Biomes aren't so evenly/randomly distributed anymore, and going in blind is likely just going to get us stuck with some endless boring forest or something.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
new UHC just started.

will have to set aside starbound and get a more classical minecraft fix when i get home from work. :3

Sarcasm

Question with the ps4 out why did they release it on the ps3? Secondly what is the limitation of this version? Is it the same as Xbox?

Ranger X

It has at least one of every biome within a 3000 block radius of spawn, including ALL of the new biomes plus variants.

OMG. How do you find such things man? You just renewed my interest into starting a single player world...

Question with the ps4 out why did they release it on the ps3? Secondly what is the limitation of this version? Is it the same as Xbox?

They said its going to be right there where the other console versions are. Basically means its the same as on Xbox.

Flandy

Ah thanks. I heard that their may be a vita version that is life the PC...

Nah. Don't remember where but I'm pretty sure they confirmed the Vita Edition wouldn't be like the Pocket Edition.
I also think they said their priority was PS3>Vita>PS4 for releases.

Persona7

Banned
Does anyone know if the 360 retail version is online only? My friend read that online somewhere and wants to know if that is true but I can't find any information about that.

Mik2121

Hey Mik. Neocraft isn't updated to 1.7 yet, but there is a dev version of Bukkit out now that's very promising, so I don't think it's going to be long now. We are going to leave Neocraft as is but be restarting GAFland, the multiverse map, in order to get the new biomes and stuff.

Soon hopefully.

Ok, that sounds great! I really wanna get back to playing :)

Also might go and check out that biome in singleplayer....

Persona7

Banned
No, that's not accurate. It's the same game as you download.

Ok, I knew that sounded weird. Thanks.

My friend lives pretty far out and does not have internet connectivity for the next month or two because they are finally upgrading the DSL service and swapping equipment out.

They want to play split screen offline.

Crispy75

In 1.8:
kbwd2Mk.png

Jeb Sez:

I don't want to go too deep into theorycrafting, so I'll simply explain what's going on in the screenshot. As you can see, enchanting items will now come with a resource cost in addition to enchantment levels. We're currently using gold ingots for this. Also, enchanting now separates requirements from costs, according to these rules:
The level requirement is calculated the same way as before. Max level is still 30
The cost is based on which enchantment power you choose (1 to 3)
One (randomly chosen) enchantment will be displayed in the tooltip
The random seed for enchantments is not reset until you enchant an item
Gaining enchantment levels have been made more expensive again, but you will not pay more than 3 levels when enchanting an item. Obviously repair costs in the anvil have been rebalanced to fit (notably renaming items only costs 1 level).

So you'll still need to be high level to get good enchants, but it will no longer cost all your levels to make the enchanted item. So to make a top-spec item will only knock you down to level 27 from level 30. He says that "levels are more expensive again" - if this means the old pre-1.3 level scale, it will mean you only need to recover 314 XP after making a lvl30 enchant, instead of 825 in the current system.

belushy

Banned
In 1.8:
kbwd2Mk.png

Jeb Sez:

So you'll still need to be high level to get good enchants, but it will no longer cost all your levels to make the enchanted item. So to make a top-spec item will only knock you down to level 27 from level 30. He says that "levels are more expensive again" - if this means the old pre-1.3 level scale, it will mean you only need to recover 314 XP after making a lvl30 enchant, instead of 825 in the current system.

I actually really like that change. Maybe not with Gold Ingots though...

defel

Ive been using the diamond mining technique I first saw Etho use a few weeks ago and have so many diamonds now its absurd.

Basically you need a full power beacon with Haste II and an efficiency 5 diamond pickaxe, go down to level 11/12 and literally mine the whole 50x50 block area and then the same again at level 4/5.

I did this 3 or 4 times and have well over a stack of diamond blocks. Its more fun than strip mining and more efficient than caving. Its awesome.

belushy

Banned
Yeah, you're right. I guess it does give gold a use now in normal vanilla.

edit: Ugh, I really hate Pigmen... an asshole jumped down in front of me as I was mining quartz and of course I hit him by accident. Lost a bunch of goods. I think I'm 100% done with the server now until 1.7.

Ranger X

Oh God, I was already uninterested into enchantements since it takes so much levels to get anything decent. Now we need to also use gold and stuff? Daaaamn, I will like NEVER use enchants or something. lol

Morokh

Oh God, I was already uninterested into enchantements since it takes so much levels to get anything decent. Now we need to also use gold and stuff? Daaaamn, I will like NEVER use enchants or something. lol

The way I understand it you pay gold but you don't loose your hard earned 30 levels, but only two or 3, which makes it faster to reach level 30 again, if you can survive to keep those levels.

One more reason for wanting to stay alive.

Mengy

Dude, Ranger, enchantments are like incredibly useful and awesome. My first goal in every new world is to make an enchanting room and start enchanting picks, shovels, bows, swords, and armor. Once I have equipment that I can live with for awhile I start enchanting books to make my "ultimate" equipment that I plan to keep for the long haul. There is nothing in the game better than a diamond pick with Unbreaking III and Efficiency V on it! A close second for me is a helmet with Respiration on it, as I like being able to see clearly underwater so much.

This new change to enchanting for 1.8 is ...interesting. It will make XP grinders less necessary, which I honestly like a lot. I can get back a couple levels for every enchant very easily by simply branch mining or going hunting for one night. It also gives a much better incentive to stay alive and never die. Not sure I like needing gold for it, as I always find myself short on gold, but I will just create larger mines then, and that's not a negative for me at all, lol.

Crispy75

Don't get too excited about being able to max out your XP so easily after each enchant. Jeb said "Gaining enchantment levels have been made more expensive again" so it will take quite a grind to get from lvl27 to 30, just not as much as you have to do from lvl0 in 1.7

Ranger X

Dude, Ranger, enchantments are like incredibly useful and awesome. My first goal in every new world is to make an enchanting room and start enchanting picks, shovels, bows, swords, and armor. Once I have equipment that I can live with for awhile I start enchanting books to make my "ultimate" equipment that I plan to keep for the long haul. There is nothing in the game better than a diamond pick with Unbreaking III and Efficiency V on it! A close second for me is a helmet with Respiration on it, as I like being able to see clearly underwater so much.

This new change to enchanting for 1.8 is ...interesting. It will make XP grinders less necessary, which I honestly like a lot. I can get back a couple levels for every enchant very easily by simply branch mining or going hunting for one night. It also gives a much better incentive to stay alive and never die. Not sure I like needing gold for it, as I always find myself short on gold, but I will just create larger mines then, and that's not a negative for me at all, lol.

After reading you and the other poster up there, I guess it is an improvement if I can partially see what I get as an enchantment and also if I can indeed use loot instead of levels. But still, I never felt my equipment in Minecraft was too weak, I live out of Iron equipement and I also don't feel pikes and stuff aren't lasting long enough. Also, I always drown in ressources to make more. I guess the enchantments simply didn't change my playstyle and I don't see them changing it enough so it becomes worth the assle. The process still is unpleasing to me (cows - leather - bookshelves - and then make books until I get the precise enchantemetns I need).

From the start, the best would have been to have a precise recipes, exactly like potion making. Actually, the potion table could produce spells, the enchantment table (while totally cool) is still some addition I feel unintuitive.

New stone types? Granite?

Yes please! http://imgur.com/a/nvGuV

Fuck. I hate the last few days. If new stuff continues to that rythm for 1.8, I'll have to wait again before starting a new single player world...

limlark

New stone types? Granite?

Yes please! http://imgur.com/a/nvGuV
a) I'm so strongly in favor of this. More of this sort of thing, please.

b) From Reddit:

Brian_Buckley 60 points 8 hours ago
Thing is we just had a terrain gen update. Where would we get this?

jeb_ 113 points 7 hours ago
If it makes you any happier, I happen to be aware of this! The new stone variants will be craftable, likely from some kind of cobblestone+quartz combination.

Chilangosta 40 points 7 hours ago
Hmm... But I assume you'd also make it generate naturally in new terrain as well, right? If so, where would we find it?

jeb_ 72 points 7 hours ago
I haven't decided yet! :)
1.7 NeoCraft may not last so long after all.

Mengy

a) I'm so strongly in favor of this. More of this sort of thing, please.

b) From Reddit:

1.7 NeoCraft may not last so long after all.

Oh no, GAFland 1.7 is going to be around for a very long time (once it starts). Jeb has stated before (and again today) that anything generation-wise added for the next couple of updates will also be craftable with current 1.7 generation materials, with regards to block types and such. He truly wants to make changes to chunk generation less necessary, or rather less required, in order to get the "new stuff". Patch 1.7 was the last big changes to biomes we will be seeing for a long time, the next few updatees should be biome unspecific stuff mostly, things like new stuff to craft using 1.7 materials, the mod API, possible new mobs like birds or whales (ambience stuff), etc.

No, once we create GAFland 1.7 it's going to be around for the long haul. If new biome stuff gets added then we'll just have to explore new chunks.

Top Bottom