• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Fuchsdh

Oh no, GAFland 1.7 is going to be around for a very long time (once it starts). Jeb has stated before (and again today) that anything generation-wise added for the next couple of updates will also be craftable with current 1.7 generation materials, with regards to block types and such. He truly wants to make changes to chunk generation less necessary, or rather less required, in order to get the "new stuff". Patch 1.7 was the last big changes to biomes we will be seeing for a long time, the next few updatees should be biome unspecific stuff mostly, things like new stuff to craft using 1.7 materials, the mod API, possible new mobs like birds or whales (ambience stuff), etc.

No, once we create GAFland 1.7 it's going to be around for the long haul. If new biome stuff gets added then we'll just have to explore new chunks.

Wait, so are maps limited to the 1.x version they were built in? Or is that only a server thing?

limlark

Well, that's fine then. I've just been hoping for The Geology Update for approximately forever, and I didn't know how it would affect things here. I wonder if it'll just change some of the stone without affecting the rest of the world generation.

Yeah, Dinnerbone is doing an AMA on Reddit and being very tight-lipped about the next update, but from what little he has said, my guess is that the update will be sort of geology themed. He said the update has two different themes for two different audiences and when someone asked if they were working on more underground features (new ores and caves) in the future, his response was simply "Yes."

limlark

Yeah, Dinnerbone is doing an AMA on Reddit and being very tight-lipped about the next update, but from what little he has said, my guess is that the update will be sort of geology themed. He said the update has two different themes for two different audiences and when someone asked if they were working on more underground features (new ores and caves) in the future, his response was simply "Yes."
Yeah, I was intrigued by that two different audiences thing. PC/console players?

Yeah, I was intrigued by that two different audiences thing. PC/console players?

I'm assuming it's more "Vanilla, survival, exploring challenge players" and "Creative, building players." I've always sort of thought Minecraft has those as the two big audiences and most updates seem to focus on one or the other, so if they're trying to focus on both at once, that makes me happy.

Jeb said he got a lot of ideas for this update while playing survival alone, so I would take that to mean he played it after spending a lot of time playing creative or playing on established servers and he realized that the early game can be a bit of a grind and, no matter what interested biome you spawn in, you always end up spending an enormous amount of time doing the same boring thing underground. Not only that, but there is no advantage to mining anywhere other than the bottom rows of the map. The possible addition of granite and the comments from Jeb and Dinnerbone have my optimistic that they've realized that and are attempting to fix it for 1.8.

Of course, this is about 20% speculation and 79% wishful thinking on my part, with just a tiny bit of actual, real information.

That gets me so excited, I hope they will keep expanding on the game throughout 2014.

belushy

Banned
So you guys have any idea what kind of stuff you're gonna work on first when Gafland gets upgraded to 1.7? I'm thinking of doing something similar to what was done on Mindcrack recently with a big message board (I think Sethbling was the one that made it), and a post office/trade house for everyone to use.

Sarcasm

I need to figure out how to keep my interest in the game. I get to the point where I start getting materials but than I get bored!

=(

Fuchsdh

I need to figure out how to keep my interest in the game. I get to the point where I start getting materials but than I get bored!

=(

Pick a project. Make it big.

e.g., try and build an accurate Rapture.

5q3S4o7.png

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So you guys have any idea what kind of stuff you're gonna work on first when Gafland gets upgraded to 1.7? I'm thinking of doing something similar to what was done on Mindcrack recently with a big message board (I think Sethbling was the one that made it), and a post office/trade house for everyone to use.

My first project is going to be a main base of operations for me, something huge, immense, stylish, and extremely time consuming. I mean I'll be working on this for weeks most likely, probably longer. Then, once I have it "done" to my satisfaction and I have adequate storage space I'm just going to spend time farming everything and filling my chests for a bit. After that I'll decide on a new Big project, or I'll build several mining bases all over the map. I'd like to also work on a Nether Network so we can get around the map quickly, and I'll probably work on an overworld road network at some point too.

If any community projects crop up I'll take time to help with those too. :D

Ranger X

Well, looks like I will definetely wait a bit or maybe for 1.8 before starting my new SP world afterall...

masud

Banned
Was just running around gafland for the first time in a while. Followed a road out of spawn village and it ended up taking me over my bridge and past my mine lol. Thanks to whoever built that I was actually planning on doing something similar.

-Minsc-

My first project is going to be a main base of operations for me, something huge, immense, stylish, and extremely time consuming. I mean I'll be working on this for weeks most likely, probably longer. Then, once I have it "done" to my satisfaction and I have adequate storage space I'm just going to spend time farming everything and filling my chests for a bit. After that I'll decide on a new Big project, or I'll build several mining bases all over the map. I'd like to also work on a Nether Network so we can get around the map quickly, and I'll probably work on an overworld road network at some point too.

If any community projects crop up I'll take time to help with those too. :D

I was actually thinking the same thing for 1.7. Maybe head on out in to the untamed land and build a road network. Then people can branch off the main roads to their own builds.

Mengy

Well, looks like I will definetely wait a bit or maybe for 1.8 before starting my new SP world afterall...

I don't wait anymore for my SSP world. My main single player world is one I actually made back in 1.2, I simply move on to far away lands when I need to generate new chunks. Playing the "waiting for the next update" game is a losing venture in Minecraft, there is always a next big important update just below the horizon, lol.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
if its just new blocks there wont be any terrain glitches, so just walk into a nearby fresh chunk and start mining for em.

its not like you're going to have a fully loaded 10,000 block square in a sp world.

Mengy

There is a touching thread on reddit today about someone's grandpa who played minecraft but died recently. It was something the two of them always shared. He is going to bury a USB stick with his Minecraft world with him, but he also uploaded the world so that anyone can download it and see what his grandpa created. Sad, but nice in a way too:

Minecraft playing Grandpa's world

UF_C

Banned
There is a touching thread on reddit today about someone's grandpa who played minecraft but died recently. It was something the two of them always shared. He is going to bury a USB stick with his Minecraft world with him, but he also uploaded the world so that anyone can download it and see what his grandpa created. Sad, but nice in a way too:

Minecraft playing Grandpa's world

Thanks for sharing that.

MrBig

I believe it's been a couple years since I've played Minecraft; hopped on today and had a fantastic time in a new world, made a home out of some sort of canyon, delved into some of the new mod selection, and made my own simplification of the HUD, which I always found too overdone

Maybe I'll join the GAF server whenever you guys get 1.7 up.

belushy

Banned
I believe it's been a couple years since I've played Minecraft; hopped on today and had a fantastic time in a new world, made a home out of some sort of canyon, delved into some of the new mod selection, and made my own simplification of the HUD, which I always found too overdone

Maybe I'll join the GAF server whenever you guys get 1.7 up.

I've always played around the idea of making a base in a ravine like that. I kind of want to do something where I have bridges from one side to the other leading to different farms/rooms. Kind of dwarven themed. Maybe that could be my big project for Gafland 1.7

Crispy75

I've always played around the idea of making a base in a ravine like that. I kind of want to do something where I have bridges from one side to the other leading to different farms/rooms. Kind of dwarven themed. Maybe that could be my big project for Gafland 1.7

I did this on another server I used to play on. Found the intersection of two ravines and opened the crossing point up to the sky.

TheZjman

Banned
So i finally got the Xbox 360 version yesterday and now i'm hooked all over again. haven't played it in like two years so loads of new items and mechanics are foreign to me.

I'm just building my usual treehouse for now. Is there anything super useful been added, like you know, a coal locator?

Finding coal is the bane of my life.

strata8

Is it worth buying the 360 version now or should I just wait for the Xbox One version? Are the worlds really as small as they are in the trial? They felt tiny.

TheZjman

Banned
Nice, Crispy

Coal is pretty common now. You can also make charcoal by cooking logs in a furnace. Well... At least I believe you can. No idea how far behind the 360 version is from PC :p

Ah neat, i'll give that a shot. I just need torches lol, so i can start exploring and making my treehouse better.

Plus i need dat smooth stone

Mengy

I did this on another server I used to play on. Found the intersection of two ravines and opened the crossing point up to the sky.

That's pretty much EXACTLY my big plan for a new main base once we start GAFland 1.7, but man you did a hell of a good job there. That place would make any dwarf feel right at home! I just might take a few ideas from yours pics honestly, it's almost exactly what I had planned but I love the style you did it in. Basically I was going to redo the look of my fortress on Neocraft but down underground in a ravine, which you have already done, LOL!

I love projects that require lots of coal and furnacing of materials...

-Minsc-

That's pretty much EXACTLY my big plan for a new main base once we start GAFland 1.7, but man you did a hell of a good job there. That place would make any dwarf feel right at home! I just might take a few ideas from yours pics honestly, it's almost exactly what I had planned but I love the style you did it in. Basically I was going to redo the look of my fortress on Neocraft but down underground in a ravine, which you have already done, LOL!

You know, I was thinking his ravine build reminded me a lot of your Neocraft fortress. :D

Crispy75

Take as much inspiration as you want :)

It was great fun to build, but the trouble was it didn't show up on the overworld map, and you couldn't see how big it was as a passer by. You had to know it was there, and make a deliberate decision to visit.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
well, bukkit 1.7 is in beta build now, so maybe before the new year.
unless ark just decides to use the beta build.

Mengy

well, bukkit 1.7 is in beta build now, so maybe before the new year.
unless ark just decides to use the beta build.

The beta build doesn't seem to be too bad from what I've read. Some mods won't work with it but I think we would be fine on Neocraft. If I get the chance this weekend I'm planning on copying the server to my PC and experimenting with it, manually installing updated mods like PEX and Lockette to see if I can get the server working with 1.7. If it goes well I'll talk it over with Ark and CC to see if we want to try it out.

Honestly I'm just tired of waiting, I want 1.7 GAFland now. Hopefully I can find the time this weekend...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The beta build doesn't seem to be too bad from what I've read. Some mods won't work with it but I think we would be fine on Neocraft. If I get the chance this weekend I'm planning on copying the server to my PC and experimenting with it, manually installing updated mods like PEX and Lockette to see if I can get the server working with 1.7. If it goes well I'll talk it over with Ark and CC to see if we want to try it out.

Honestly I'm just tired of waiting, I want 1.7 GAFland now. Hopefully I can find the time this weekend...
i feel the same as you, but i dont know anything about what gafland runs in the back-end so i wasnt going to speculate.

Fuchsdh

How powerful a system do you need to run a halfway-decent server? I've got a Mac mini that I mostly just use for ingesting game footage right now—it's got a 2.5 Ghz i5, 16GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 6630M GDDR5 256MB. Seems like those would be decent enough specs considering I know people using their low-clocked NAS hardware as a server, but being a Java app I dunno where Minecraft's major hardware constraints are.

Also eagerly awaiting GAFLand. You guys have done some cool stuff in previous ones, love to join in and help.

Ranger X

I don't wait anymore for my SSP world. My main single player world is one I actually made back in 1.2, I simply move on to far away lands when I need to generate new chunks. Playing the "waiting for the next update" game is a losing venture in Minecraft, there is always a next big important update just below the horizon, lol.

Yeah I guess you're right. Normally I wouldn't wait but since I've recently committed the sin of starting Terraria, I am pretty hooked right now and new kinds of blocks might be reason enough to postpone my "Minecraft return". ;)

ShadiWulf

Did Minecraft get updated with new music? I haven't played in a while and just downloaded the client again and it's playing some really cool new music I've never heard before.

Really awesome build! You must of put a lot of work into it

defel

Did Minecraft get updated with new music? I haven't played in a while and just downloaded the client again and it's playing some really cool new music I've never heard before.

Yep you're right! C418 (the composer of the original Minecraft music) released his new album a few weeks ago and it was introduced into the game.

Sarcasm

How powerful a system do you need to run a halfway-decent server? I've got a Mac mini that I mostly just use for ingesting game footage right now—it's got a 2.5 Ghz i5, 16GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 6630M GDDR5 256MB. Seems like those would be decent enough specs considering I know people using their low-clocked NAS hardware as a server, but being a Java app I dunno where Minecraft's major hardware constraints are.

Also eagerly awaiting GAFLand. You guys have done some cool stuff in previous ones, love to join in and help.

Mods or no mods? How many people?

Top Bottom