• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Ark

The beta build doesn't seem to be too bad from what I've read. Some mods won't work with it but I think we would be fine on Neocraft. If I get the chance this weekend I'm planning on copying the server to my PC and experimenting with it, manually installing updated mods like PEX and Lockette to see if I can get the server working with 1.7. If it goes well I'll talk it over with Ark and CC to see if we want to try it out.

Honestly I'm just tired of waiting, I want 1.7 GAFland now. Hopefully I can find the time this weekend...

Me too, but I've just been so distracted with BF4 recently :(.

Crispy75

I still think we should use this seed for GAFland 1.7:

It has at least one of every biome within a 3000 block radius of spawn, including ALL of the new biomes plus variants. It also has several large mesa biomes within that range, so plenty of clay blocks for all. Again the only downside is that spawn is located on a large island, but I say we work with it and either create a coastal spawn village or import dirt blocks from the surrounding areas and enlarge the island to whatever size we want. It might be cool to have a huge coastal spawn island with bridges extending off in every direction.
this is the main contender so far

In the abscence of any alternative, it gets my vote. Might be cool to build a sort of Venice around the spawn island...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, here is an alternate seed we may want to use for GAFland 1.7. LIke the other seed, this one has at least one of every biome in the game within a 3000 block radius, but unlike the other seed this one does not have spawn on an island:

4031384495743822299.png

Color chart for reference:

Color_Chart.png

I think I may actually like this seed better. Spawn is on the edge of a plains and desert, with a mesa biome very close by:

2013_11_06_10_55_46.jpg

2013_11_06_14_26_38.jpg

I won't post any more pictures because some don't want things spoiled, but I ran around this map for a bit and now I really like it. Credit goes to Pdx7 for discovering this awesome seed.

masud

Banned
I like the first seed because I think a spawn island would be cool. But the second one has costal jungle biomes which are my favorite...

limlark

Well, I got my computer fixed, but now I keep getting this error in the launcher:

Code:
Bootstrap (v5)
Current time is Dec 21, 2013 3:36:39 PM
System.getProperty('os.name') == 'Windows 7'
System.getProperty('os.version') == '6.1'
System.getProperty('os.arch') == 'amd64'
System.getProperty('java.version') == '1.7.0_05'
System.getProperty('java.vendor') == 'Oracle Corporation'
System.getProperty('sun.arch.data.model') == '64'

Looking for update
Didn't find an update in time.
Reversing LZMA on C:\Users\Brenna\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\launcher.pack.lzma to C:\Users\Brenna\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\launcher.pack
Unpacking C:\Users\Brenna\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\launcher.pack to C:\Users\Brenna\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\launcher.jar
Downloading: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/launcher/launcher.pack.lzma
Got reply in: 2988ms
No update found.
Google isn't being very helpful. What do I do :(

EDIT: If I leave that up for like 15 minutes, it eventually adds:
Code:
Cleaning up C:\Users\Brenna\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\launcher.pack
Starting launcher.
And a few minutes after that, it starts.

Morokh

Okay, here is an alternate seed we may want to use for GAFland 1.7. LIke the other seed, this one has at least one of every biome in the game within a 3000 block radius, but unlike the other seed this one does not have spawn on an island:

4031384495743822299.png

Color chart for reference:

Color_Chart.png

I think I may actually like this seed better. Spawn is on the edge of a plains and desert, with a mesa biome very close by:

2013_11_06_10_55_46.jpg

2013_11_06_14_26_38.jpg

I won't post any more pictures because some don't want things spoiled, but I ran around this map for a bit and now I really like it. Credit goes to Pdx7 for discovering this awesome seed.

Checked those maps ingame.

If I had to choose between the two I'd choose this one, the other when you spawn on the island is great for a SP world, but for a server, I'm not so sure.

The island is too small, with too much water around imo.

I also hope people will be careful with mesa biomes and not level them to the ground right away, because they look glorious.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
my concern is people claiming large portions of mesa's as their home when their value to a server is largely as a resource. we had a couple people put up 'i claim this biome, pls do not come here' signs who barely used it. [although i maybe shouldn't talk because i do pretty much monopolize an entire biome for my complex]

we should designate a mesa or portion of a mesa for stripmining.

that 4031384495743822299 seed, for example, has some offshore island mesa's within a thousand blocks from 0,0. they could be harvested out of sight of the continent and people who want Mesa's on the ocean have a large coastline to work with still.

PS: i really like that 4031384495743822299 seed, it'd have my vote.

So like... I've been messing with Forestry's bees and tree breeding for the last day or two. Tree breeding is going great, but I was getting frustrated because I just could not advance anywhere with bees. Then I found out why when I noticed these apiaries I had were not stacking after a friend gave me one.... I was using Bee Houses and not apiaries. Oy vey. Not reading the wiki on things bites me in the ass yet again!

Mengy

my concern is people claiming large portions of mesa's as their home when their value to a server is largely as a resource. we had a couple people put up 'i claim this biome, pls do not come here' signs who barely used it. [although i maybe shouldn't talk because i do pretty much monopolize an entire biome for my complex]

we should designate a mesa or portion of a mesa for stripmining.

that 4031384495743822299 seed, for example, has some offshore island mesa's within a thousand blocks from 0,0. they could be harvested out of sight of the continent and people who want Mesa's on the ocean have a large coastline to work with still.

PS: i really like that 4031384495743822299 seed, it'd have my vote.

Agreed, I explored the seed in creative for a bit and it has some fantastic land generation. It's really an awesome seed, lots of islands a bit southwest too, but all sprawling continent around spawn. Has some incredible mountain generation in it as well.

With regards to mesa biomes, I say we declare the mesa right near spawn as a protected national park or something, meaning it's okay to hollow it all out but we should keep the look of it intact as much as possible. But there are actually several other mesa's not too far off, we could designate one of them as sacrificial, even build a road or minecart track from spawn taking you right to it and label it as such.

4031384495743822299 has all of my votes for the GAFland 1.7 seed, it's awesome.

Crispy75

Does anyone know how to go about generating a ton of biome maps like that? I'm all bloated from in-laws Christmas, and could happily scan through thousands of images looking for good ones.

-Minsc-

Agreed, I explored the seed in creative for a bit and it has some fantastic land generation. It's really an awesome seed, lots of islands a bit southwest too, but all sprawling continent around spawn. Has some incredible mountain generation in it as well.

With regards to mesa biomes, I say we declare the mesa right near spawn as a protected national park or something, meaning it's okay to hollow it all out but we should keep the look of it intact as much as possible. But there are actually several other mesa's not too far off, we could designate one of them as sacrificial, even build a road or minecart track from spawn taking you right to it and label it as such.

4031384495743822299 has all of my votes for the GAFland 1.7 seed, it's awesome.

Either seed is fine by me, I can work with which ever is used. :) Though knowing which seed will be used will allow for some possible planning.

As for the mesa, my vote goes toward using it for a community build project. We should be able to organically construct villages on the massive plateau or in the expansive valleys. Another option is to build into the hills. Since space is a little limited I think it would be cool to build dwellings fairly small. Making them small is an interesting challenge as well. It's a good opportunity to get creative and get the most detail out of the least area. :)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It's a lot of work and with how the server works right now you don't get half of what you could expect from it, keep that in mind.

(Take it from someone who has built one on the actual map :p )

speaking of, does neocraft/gafland have always loaded spawn chunks? i had a thought that our earlier monster problems might have been a result of two poorly lit spawns sucking up a chunk of the monster cap.

dont know if that is how it works though, just a thought i had.

Morokh

speaking of, does neocraft/gafland have always loaded spawn chunks? i had a thought that our earlier monster problems might have been a result of two poorly lit spawns sucking up a chunk of the monster cap.

dont know if that is how it works though, just a thought i had.

Spawn chunks should be always loaded on any server if I understood that correctly (that's why the guys of the Hermitcraft 2.0 server built an iron farm there originally so it would be always ON ) that doesn't mean that hostile mobs don't despawn, if no player is less than 128 blocks from them they should despawn even if the chunks are loaded.

But on GafLand it seems that mobs don't despawn normally in all unloaded chunks causing trouble with any non-spawner mob farms.
That's why you might find yourself wandering in full daylight with a world full of creepers/spiders and burning zombies and skeletons.

defel

I spent hours and hours making a witch farm on neocraft with tonnes of terraforming and cave lighting - was a giant waste of time lol.

I built on in my SP world and it works like a dream.

Im looking forward to trying to build a wither skeleton farm once we reset

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So I downloaded the new Tekkit pack.

No idea what the fuck I'm doing or how to do it. It's a dumb thing to assume you know about the mods and know they're fun, to also know how to use every single thing included with the mod.

Sarcasm

Thanks!

Speaking of witches I was down under the spawn (that -187 seed so island - forest biome) and I had witches spawn deep underground.

This baffles me thought they only spawned in those huts found in swamps?

Abylim

So just got this on ps3. I have dug down to bed rock, and have made countless tunnels, searching for Diamond, no luck. Any tips?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Thanks!

Speaking of witches I was down under the spawn (that -187 seed so island - forest biome) and I had witches spawn deep underground.

This baffles me thought they only spawned in those huts found in swamps?

not anymore. they're also a regular mob now. enjoy.

Sarcasm

I don't remember reading that in the patch notes. Wonder what else I missed lol.

Also wheat takes forever to grow and I am so low on food with this mass mob spawning everywhere in my caves.

-Minsc-

So just got this on ps3. I have dug down to bed rock, and have made countless tunnels, searching for Diamond, no luck. Any tips?

I'll assume the PS3 works the same as the PC version. Diamond spawns between something like layers 1-16. At the top of bedrock you'll be standing on layer five. I recommend going to layer twelve and start branch mining. At the beginning of the game branch mining is likely your best bet to quickly find diamond.

Here's how I go about it (this isn't the only layout for branch mining but it has been the way I adopted.). Start buy mining a shaft down to level 12.

BranchMine001.png

From there I clear out a 5x5x3 room with the ladder acting as the center. Out from the center of each wall I mine four blocks.

BranchMine002.png

Then I mine out 3x3 off each of these "spokes". From these I dig 1x2 tunnels spaced every third block. You should have no trouble stocking up with diamond with this method. Using a fortune III pick will easily double your production. :)

BranchMine003.png

Here's an over head shot of my mine. :)

BranchMine004.png

Abylim

I'll assume the PS3 works the same as the PC version. Diamond spawns between something like layers 1-16. At the top of bedrock you'll be standing on layer five. I recommend going to layer twelve and start branch mining. At the beginning of the game branch mining is likely your best bet to quickly find diamond.

Here's how I go about it (this isn't the only layout for branch mining but it has been the way I adopted.). Start buy mining a shaft down to level 12.

BranchMine001.png

From there I clear out a 5x5x3 room with the ladder acting as the center. Out from the center of each wall I mine four blocks.

BranchMine002.png

Then I mine out 3x3 off each of these "spokes". From these I dig 1x2 tunnels spaced every third block. You should have no trouble stocking up with diamond with this method. Using a fortune III pick will easily double your production. :)

BranchMine003.png

Here's an over head shot of my mine. :)

BranchMine004.png

Thats very helpful. So Bedrock is layer five? Theres my problem, I countedd 14 up from bedrock, and started mining there.

Frazley

Minecraft PS3 is my game of the year! I played a TON on PC from 2010-2011 and then dropped. The port has rekindled my love of the game and have spent countless hours in it so far!

Mengy

Thats very helpful. So Bedrock is layer five? Theres my problem, I countedd 14 up from bedrock, and started mining there.

Diamond can exist anywhere from bedrock up to layer 16. Almost all of my mines have several layers to them, starting at the lava layer (11) and layering down to bedrock. There are many different ways to do branch mining, my preferred way is similar to the above but I only run the tunnels in one direction rather than a pinwheel. I also have a terrible habit of "prettying" up my mines so that they look good, using cobblestone to fix holes and such, keeping them well lit with lots of torches. My mines usually become huge building project of their own, lol.

-Minsc-

My question..12 position eyes or feet?

Twelve at the feet. Upon looking, the mine featured above isn't set at layer 12. Instead I started with my feet on layer five (bedrock top) and made floors every five levels. In this case my second mining level would be at the 10 feet position. Twelve though is still great for avoiding bedrock fog and lava.

@Mengy: I used to run all my tunnels parallel but decided this way was fancier. :) Also, to second what you said, I tend to fill all the holes left by ores and stuff with cobble.

Mengy

@Mengy: I used to run all my tunnels parallel but decided this way was fancier. :) Also, to second what you said, I tend to fill all the holes left by ores and stuff with cobble.

Yeah, I've seen your mines, you suffer from the same dementia's that I do, LOL!

I've even gone so far as to furnace some cobble to create smooth stone in order to patch up my mine tunnels. o_O

-Minsc-

I've even gone so far as to furnace some cobble to create smooth stone in order to patch up my mine tunnels. o_O

You crazy! I do draw the line somewhere. ;p

Anyways, I've completed THE ROAD. The Minsc Trans-Continental Highway is open for travel. Now people will have a road to explore, via horse of course, when they get their download copy of Gafland.

Fuchsdh

I do that too. Entire forests laid to waste because I had to make sure my underground mines looked nice and smooth.

belushy

Banned
I try to be tidy and organised like you guys but it always goes to shit.

Same!

Also, I have this weird habit when I'm playing Minecraft. If I have a big inventory full of different things, I put every single thing in a chest (yes, even torches, sword, pickaxe, etc) and then take out what I need while organizing. I really don't know what possesses me to do it, but I can't not do it. Am I the only one that does this? lol

-Minsc-

Same!

Also, I have this weird habit when I'm playing Minecraft. If I have a big inventory full of different things, I put every single thing in a chest (yes, even torches, sword, pickaxe, etc) and then take out what I need while organizing. I really don't know what possesses me to do it, but I can't not do it. Am I the only one that does this? lol

Can't say I do that. There are certain items which generally stay in my inventory (tools, food, torches, crafting bench, water and bucket, and a stack of dirt/cobble. Sometimes I keep planks on hand for crafting purposes.

A typical hotkey layout for me looks like this:

1: Reg Pick/Speed Pick
2: Shovel
3: Fortune/Silk Pick
4: Axe
5: Sword
6: Whatever happens to fill the empty slot.
7: Dirt/Cobble
8: Bucket
9: Food
0: Torches

Jinko

Same!

Yea I do this, its much easier to take what you want from your chest than remove what you don't want from your inventory at least for me.

Crispy75

Yea I do this, its much easier to take what you want from your chest than remove what you don't want from your inventory at least for me.

And then you end up with random chests full of random crap all over your house :D

Oh and if we're doing this:
Torches, Shovel, Pick, Task-Specific Tool, Sword, Bow if I'm in the nether, otherwise whatever. Food in the last slot.

Top Bottom