• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Can't say I do that. There are certain items which generally stay in my inventory (tools, food, torches, crafting bench, water and bucket, and a stack of dirt/cobble. Sometimes I keep planks on hand for crafting purposes.

A typical hotkey layout for me looks like this:

1: Reg Pick/Speed Pick
2: Shovel
3: Fortune/Silk Pick
4: Axe
5: Sword
6: Whatever happens to fill the empty slot.
7: Dirt/Cobble
8: Bucket
9: Food
0: Torches

Okay, might as well put my setup here too as I have certainly formed a "favvorite" toolbar setup that I almost always keep exactly like this:

1. sword
2. bow
3. pick
4. shovel
5. axe / fortune pick when mining / other tool
6. dirt / other building block
7. cobble / other building block
8. clock / other building block
9. food
10. torches

That is my setup 99% of the time.

belushy

Banned
Can't say I do that. There are certain items which generally stay in my inventory (tools, food, torches, crafting bench, water and bucket, and a stack of dirt/cobble. Sometimes I keep planks on hand for crafting purposes.

A typical hotkey layout for me looks like this:

3: Fortune/Silk Pick
4: Axe
5: Sword
6: Whatever happens to fill the empty slot.
7: Dirt/Cobble

Mine:

1: Sword
2: Bow
3: Work Pick
4: Fortune/Silk Touch
5: Shovel
6: Cobble/Dirt
7: Cobble/Dirt

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
1. Shovel
2. pick/fortune pick
3. Axe/silk pick
4. Sword
5. bow
6. blocks
7. food
8. water bucket
9. torches

I dont know where you cheaters got a 0 hotkey from.

Mik2121

With regards to mesa biomes, I say we declare the mesa right near spawn as a protected national park or something, meaning it's okay to hollow it all out but we should keep the look of it intact as much as possible.

4031384495743822299 has all of my votes for the GAFland 1.7 seed, it's awesome.
I really like this idea. Just make it a national park (we could even have some fences around part of it with entrances and maybe just one nice building that works as an inn, storage and mine entrance. It could be pretty cool. We should just decide on the visual style for the Mesa buildings, and get it done! :)

-Minsc-

1. Shovel
2. pick/fortune pick
3. Axe/silk pick
4. Sword
5. bow
6. blocks
7. food
8. water bucket
9. torches

I dont know where you cheaters got a 0 hotkey from.

My imagination. :p I generally always use the mouse scroll wheel, not the hotkeys, so I just assumed 0 was used.

Soooooo....

My branch mine setup:

3: Fortune or Silk Pick
4: Silk Pick or Dirt/Cobble/Whatever happens to fill the empty slot.
5: Dirt/Cobble/Whatever happens to fill the empty slot.
6: Dirt/Cobble/Whatever happens to fill the empty slot.
7: Bucket
8: Food
9: Torches

My caving setup:

3: Fortune Pick
4: Sword
5: Bow
6: Dirt/Cobble/Whatever happens to fill the empty slot.
7: Bucket

My building setup:

3: Axe
4: Building block A
5: Building block B
6: Building block C
7: Sword

Generally 1, 2, 8, and 9 stay the same. You know you're a hardcore Minecraft player when you start discussing tool bar setups.

With regards to mesa biomes, I say we declare the mesa right near spawn as a protected national park or something, meaning it's okay to hollow it all out but we should keep the look of it intact as much as possible.

I see this area needs to be preserved... protected if you will. We need something to protect the area and keep it secure and unspoilt. It is almost as if you need a protective barrier or "shield" a sort of bubble if I might say. But you don't need a "full sphere" ..... hmmm.... hmmm. Yes I have it, you need a D O M E to protect the Mesa biome, it is as clear as the crystal clear glass that adorns my magnificent domes.

Yeah I erm need help and on that note I am sodding off to bed it is way too late, bloody starbound.

I enjoy looking at hotbar ordering. It's a lot like iOS home screen arrangement. Especially when you don't see anyone with the same loadout.

1: Sword
2: Efficiency pick
3: Fortune pick
4: ST Pick/Axe
5: Bow
6: Dirt/cobble/stone
7: Food
8: Torches
9: Clock

Sarcasm

I have a couple questions in regards to repairing and enchanting.

For repairing you can just use materials right? Say diamond pickaxe, you use a diamond? How do you know if it is better to make a new pick or use material? Also what are the limits on repairing? Possible to keep one pick forever?

Enchanting, what is the most effective way? I have 42 levels ATM.. just need to find cows for leather. What are suggested setups?

-Minsc-

I have a couple questions in regards to repairing and enchanting.

For repairing you can just use materials right? Say diamond pickaxe, you use a diamond? How do you know if it is better to make a new pick or use material? Also what are the limits on repairing? Possible to keep one pick forever?

Enchanting, what is the most effective way? I have 42 levels ATM.. just need to find cows for leather. What are suggested setups?

I believe an unnamed item will get increasingly more expensive, exp wise, each repair. Naming an item, I think, prevents this. As for the materials used, it depends. I find for tools and swords it's actually cheaper to craft a "repair" item. For example, to completely repair an "one hit left pickaxe" requires something like four raw diamond while only one fresh pickaxe. A chest plate on the other hand should be cheaper to repair with raw diamond.

UF_C

Banned
I really like this idea. Just make it a national park (we could even have some fences around part of it with entrances and maybe just one nice building that works as an inn, storage and mine entrance. It could be pretty cool. We should just decide on the visual style for the Mesa buildings, and get it done! :)

Has GAFLand been rerolled yet to 1.7?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
For repairing you can just use materials right? Say diamond pickaxe, you use a diamond?
yes. depending on the item it might be better to use a full tool though, like with swords or shovels. [and some work picks]

How do you know if it is better to make a new pick or use material?
when you have a 'perfect' pick for a specific task and would rather not waste time, levels and resources attempting to recreate it every time it dies.

Also what are the limits on repairing?
the cost of a repair increases based on the value of the enchantments on an item and the number of times the item has been previously repaired.

Possible to keep one pick forever?
Yes, if you name a Tool the repair cost for that tool will always be value of enchantments+2 previous repairs.

you can repair that item an infinite number of times and the previous repair cost will always be 2.

danielcw

My neighbour wants to gift a copy of the game to his son for Christmas.

Is there a notably cheaper way to get the PC version then Mojang's on-line shop?

Mojang hasn't had a sale on Minecraft since that Valentines 2for1 deal like... 2 or 3 years ago. Before that it was buying the during alpha for half off. I doubt there's any way to get it cheaper than what it is now off their website.

As nice as a sale would be, I have to say it's worthy of the price. I've enjoyed hundreds, probably thousands, of hours played. The only thing that comes close in time played for me would probably be WoW, and that was hella more costly :p

Pachimari

I have never played Minecraft before (besides 10 minutes on my iPad Mini), and I have decided to buy the Mac version this very Christmas.

I am super excited but super new. And hopefully I can play with you guys sometime next year?

Is there a list where I can find all the updates to the game since alpha? Because I'm only currently watching david64yt's episodes from the OP.

Oh, most importantly, before I hit the buy button - will it run great on my MacBook Air from 2011?
It's a 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Fuchsdh

I have never played Minecraft before (besides 10 minutes on my iPad Mini), and I have decided to buy the Mac version this very Christmas.

I am super excited but super new. And hopefully I can play with you guys sometime next year?

Is there a list where I can find all the updates to the game since alpha? Because I'm only currently watching david64yt's episodes from the OP.

Oh, most importantly, before I hit the buy button - will it run great on my MacBook Air from 2011?

It should run fine, but the integrated graphics might be the deal-breaker. Download the demo and see if it runs fine before you buy. I imagine if you cap the frame rate and turn off some of the fancy graphics stuff it should be fine.

-Minsc-

Minecraft runs good enough on my mid-2007 iMac.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 3 GB
ATI,RadeonHD2600
VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Anyways, while looking at the dynamic map yesterday I was inspired to leave a bit of simple map art.

Edit: Cute, all chests have transformed in to "christmas gifts".

Pachimari

Cool. I installed the demo for the first time on my MacBook Air (should probably connect my mouse to it) and tried out Minecraft. This is such an atmospheric game, so much that I get scared of Creepers made out of blocks!

What's starting to annoy me a little bit is, that I'm not quick enough to build something safe to survive the night, which means I end up getting killed every night. :(

I know I have to create a work bench, and then some wooden planks to make tools that I can use to get other materials like coals.

Any good advice for somebody totally new to it?

I just want a safe place in this cruel dark world at night.

woolley

Just carve out an area in a mountain side or underground and then dig down throughout the night and light it up. You just need enough room to fit you workbench. And break grass to get seeds and make yourself a wheat farm.

Sarcasm

A quick dirt hovel helps.

draft_lens20455979module165028062photo_1358478967a.png

dejay

Banned
Cool. I installed the demo for the first time on my MacBook Air (should probably connect my mouse to it) and tried out Minecraft. This is such an atmospheric game, so much that I get scared of Creepers made out of blocks!

What's starting to annoy me a little bit is, that I'm not quick enough to build something safe to survive the night, which means I end up getting killed every night. :(

I know I have to create a work bench, and then some wooden planks to make tools that I can use to get other materials like coals.

Any good advice for somebody totally new to it?

I just want a safe place in this cruel dark world at night.

Here's how I start a game generally.

Firstly, I look for a place with dirt and wood and hills.

Start with wood - get 8 blocks of wood by hand.

Convert these to planks. You should have 32 planks.

Turn 8 of your planks into sticks. Create a workbench and plonk it down.

You should have 16 sticks and 20 planks left.

Create an axe, a shovel and a pick out of wood. You should have 10 sticks left and 13 planks left.

By this stage there should be plenty of daylight.

Cut down another 10 blocks of wood with your axe. Chop up your workbench and find a place to dig out your first house. In a hillside of dirt is ideal. Flatten the front and start digging inwards with a 1x2 hole. You want to start a fair bit down from the top of the hill - you don't want to have to waste time building with blocks, you just want to spend time digging, not building.

Dig in a bit and start widening inside, leaving a doorway 1x2 behind you. By this stage the sun should be getting a bit low.

If you're digging into a hillside, you should start to encounter stone. Use your pickaxe on this. You want at least 12 pieces of stone before you start thinking about making any stone tools. If you're lucky, you'll find coal. If not, build a furnace out of 9 pieces of stone and put two pieces of wood in the bottom section and the remaining blocks of wood in the top - this is to make charcoal. By the time the first piece of charcoal is made, it should be almost dark but you can make your first torch by this stage. Seal up the doorway in your house with dirt and start to hollow out and mine down a bit during the first night. Build up stone and make some stone tools - pickaxe, shovel and axe and a sword.

The next morning, emerge and look for food and chop some more wood down. Try not to kill all the pigs / cows in the area - try and leave two of each for a future farm. As you're walking along, cut down grass and collect a bunch of seed for a future grain farm.

By the end of the second day you should have a bunch more wood and about 10-20 pork chops or beef steaks. Go back in your house, seal it up and cook your food up and make more charcoal if you haven't found any coal yet.

By this stage you should be pretty well set.

So I log on to AbsurdityCraft and...

There's piglets riding chickens falling from the sky! They also explode on contact with the ground.

Happy Holidays :p

Haha, that's iChun's doing; I think it might be the Hats mod, but it's definitely one of his doing that as a Xmas gift. :)

Also, I might hop on AbsurdityCraft sometime to check it out. I see you guys have Mekanism up and running on your server, too.

Haha, that's iChun's doing; I think it might be the Hats mod, but it's definitely one of his doing that as a Xmas gift. :)

Also, I might hop on AbsurdityCraft sometime to check it out. I see you guys have Mekanism up and running on your server, too.

It's probably ichun utils. That's hilarious, though.

You should definitely come check it out! We have a small but dedicated group of players.

It's probably ichun utils. That's hilarious, though.

You should definitely come check it out! We have a small but dedicated group of players.

Sure! If you have a whitelist, my IGN is nihontiger.

Probably won't record anything on there since I'm doing a modded Minecraft LP now, but I'd love to check it out.

-Minsc-

I've been doing a bit of polishing up the exterior of my Gafland mountain top home. :)

- Added a proper paddock for my horse.
- Replaced the cobble stairs with jungle wood and added railings.
- Did some land detail on the top (scattered some hardened clay and threw down some thick grass.
- Added a large oak.
- Did some detailing on the cliff face (replaced some smooth stone blocks with cobble stairs and cyan clay, threw up some vines).
- Added fence.

I rather like how everything has come together, especially being limited to pre-1.7 blocks.

MinscGafland001.png

Pachimari

Here's how I start a game generally.

Firstly, I look for a place with dirt and wood and hills.

Start with wood - get 8 blocks of wood by hand.

Convert these to planks. You should have 32 planks.

Turn 8 of your planks into sticks. Create a workbench and plonk it down.

You should have 16 sticks and 20 planks left.

Create an axe, a shovel and a pick out of wood. You should have 10 sticks left and 13 planks left.

By this stage there should be plenty of daylight.

Cut down another 10 blocks of wood with your axe. Chop up your workbench and find a place to dig out your first house. In a hillside of dirt is ideal. Flatten the front and start digging inwards with a 1x2 hole. You want to start a fair bit down from the top of the hill - you don't want to have to waste time building with blocks, you just want to spend time digging, not building.

Dig in a bit and start widening inside, leaving a doorway 1x2 behind you. By this stage the sun should be getting a bit low.

If you're digging into a hillside, you should start to encounter stone. Use your pickaxe on this. You want at least 12 pieces of stone before you start thinking about making any stone tools. If you're lucky, you'll find coal. If not, build a furnace out of 9 pieces of stone and put two pieces of wood in the bottom section and the remaining blocks of wood in the top - this is to make charcoal. By the time the first piece of charcoal is made, it should be almost dark but you can make your first torch by this stage. Seal up the doorway in your house with dirt and start to hollow out and mine down a bit during the first night. Build up stone and make some stone tools - pickaxe, shovel and axe and a sword.

The next morning, emerge and look for food and chop some more wood down. Try not to kill all the pigs / cows in the area - try and leave two of each for a future farm. As you're walking along, cut down grass and collect a bunch of seed for a future grain farm.

By the end of the second day you should have a bunch more wood and about 10-20 pork chops or beef steaks. Go back in your house, seal it up and cook your food up and make more charcoal if you haven't found any coal yet.

By this stage you should be pretty well set.
Thank you so much for the advice.

I have a house I'm real happy with but there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile in the mine connected to my house.

Also what is the shovel used for? Is it quicker to pick up dirt? And is dirt used to other things than as blocks for building?

I have a house I'm real happy with but there doesn't seem to be anything worthwhile in the mine connected to my house.

The ores are fairly spread out, so you have to dig a load of stone to find the ores (branch mining usually works best). To find diamond you will need to dig all the way down to below level 16 (I find level 11-12 is best) and do your branch mining at that level. Bear in mind Diamonds are very rare so you could be digging a while.

Also what is the shovel used for? Is it quicker to pick up dirt? And is dirt used to other things than as blocks for building?

Whilst you can use a pickaxe to pick up dirt it will degrade your pick axe a lot faster than it will degrade a shovel. Each tool has a limited lifespan (a stone pick axe won't last as long as an iron pick axe) and if you use a tool on a block it isn't "designed" for it will wear that tool out faster.

As for what you can use dirt for, well some use if for landscaping but most other Minecraft addicts use it to fill up chests because you never know one day it might be useful and you should never get rid of anything in minecraft (I am convinced us Minecraftians are really virtual horders).

Sure! If you have a whitelist, my IGN is nihontiger.

Probably won't record anything on there since I'm doing a modded Minecraft LP now, but I'd love to check it out.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect you to put more on your plate recording-wise! You do a ton of good stuff as it is.

You've been whitelisted. Come check it out when you have time!

Sarcasm

How can I play on AbsurdityCraft? I tried to find it in the ATL launcher but didn't than I tried AbsurdityCraft as a code lol.

How can I play on AbsurdityCraft? I tried to find it in the ATL launcher but didn't than I tried AbsurdityCraft as a code lol.

We're using Technic Launcher.

If you want to play (and you totally should) just do the following!
1. Send me a PM with your minecraft name to be whitelisted!
2. Go to http://www.technicpack.net/download , get the launcher, and run it.
3. On the lefthand side of the launcher, go to add new pack, then paste the following url: (quote this post to see!)
4. Click the options button in the upper-right of the launcher and increase your minecraft memory (about half of what your computer has is good, you might be able to get away with more).
5. Connect to the server!

Server address is here:
(quote post to see)

For reference, here are some general tips, as well as a (mostly complete, as of right now) mods list with links to mod guides:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tMF_yKxU2zHzTkqrh_EygZE0175Y69PnXXSXdZkhyBk/edit?usp=sharing
Again, don't let this list intimidate you! It's there to show you what you can do with this modpack/server. By no means is it a list of what you have to do.

dejay

Banned

To add to what CharmingCharlie said. Mines can take a while to yield things other than cobblestone. You can find caves and explore them to find deposits on the side of the caves. Some of the cave systems are massive and it's fun but dangerous to explore these. I generally mine to get things because it's safer and I acquire a large amount of cobblestone doing it. You can NEVER have too much cobblestone - it keeps my chests from blowing away. Actually you'd be surprised how much you go through if you start a decent sized project.

Charlie mentined level 11-12. If you press F3 you'll get the debug screen. Y gives your vertical position. If you dig down until your feel are at y = 11 (eyes = 12.620) you'll be at a good position to branch mine horizontally. You'll find plenty of stuff but you will avoid lava, which can mess you up at lower levels.

NOTE: There are some minerals like diamond can only be mined by using an iron pickaxe. If you mine a block of diamond with a stone pick axe you'll lose the diamond.

As for dirt, if you modify the ground to make a large flat farm, for example, you'll soon use a lot of it. It's also useful in construction. You can jump and plonk a block directly beneath you. In this way you can make a very tall, single block-wide tower with you on top by continuously jumping and placing blocks. When you've done what you've had to do at whatever height you ended at, you can then quickly dig out the blocks beneath you to get back to ground level.

Fuchsdh

So dunno if the chaps here are that knowledgeable about resource pack and custom textures, but has anyone had issues with trying to create transparent/partially transparent textures from normally opaque blocks. Since wool is a dime a dozen material wise I was trying to change it to a partially transparent cage texture. Problem was it creates bizarre "holes" where anything you view through that block is transparent. (Exhibit A: with transparency, you can see through the far wall/into the pistons; Exhibit B: opaque block.)
Anyone have any ideas if this can be avoided? Problem with using glass as the base texture is apparently you can't put redstone on it normally.

Bentles

Redstone puzzle for anyone interested:

I've been working on designing selector panels much like the one etho made (google it for a tutorial). I need it to be compact and have most of the redstone underground. I've come up with a few designs that work really well but nevertheless I started on another that should be marginally faster.

Here it is:

I think you can see how to make it from this pic. The droppers face each other and have one item between each set of 2 (that face each other).

Theoretically it should function as a selector panel but what it does instead is remembers the last 2 selections! Very strange. I guess it could be useful for something. Does anyone know why the reset line doesn't reset all the droppers? There are definitely some quirks to droppers that I don't understand.

Quick overview of how it should work.
  • The line beneath the pressure plates should activate all of the repeaters and trigger all bottom droppers, resetting all previous selections
  • Then a tick or two later the repeaters from the selected line should trigger the top dropper, setting your selection
  • Finally the comparators on the top detect all the unselected items so I simply invert them

-Minsc-

Hey all!

Now that the work I more/less want to do on the existing GafLand map is finished I've turned my sights to GafLand 2.0. Currently I'm working on a proposal for NeoGafland's spawn area. My idea is an open plaza design. To me, having an open common area for people to mingle is appealing. Here's what I have so far. For the actual spawn point I was thinking of people spawn in on the NeoGaf logo. Anyone have an existing schematic I could use to save some time?

I'm using the 4031384495743822299 seed to construct this. It's located in a plains biome, just north of the spawn desert. Even if it's not used it's still a fun little project. Once I get more completed I'll put the world up for download. :) If anyone want's to add to the project they are free to do so. I have no qualms making this a community project. :)

Fuchsdh

Hey all!

Now that the work I more/less want to do on the existing GafLand map is finished I've turned my sights to GafLand 2.0. Currently I'm working on a proposal for NeoGafland's spawn area. My idea is an open plaza design. To me, having an open common area for people to mingle is appealing. Here's what I have so far. For the actual spawn point I was thinking of people spawn in on the NeoGaf logo. Anyone have an existing schematic I could use to save some time?

I'm using the 4031384495743822299 seed to construct this. It's located in a plains biome, just north of the spawn desert. Even if it's not used it's still a fun little project. Once I get more completed I'll put the world up for download. :) If anyone want's to add to the project they are free to do so. I have no qualms making this a community project. :)

Big NeoGAF plaza at spawn sounds like a cool idea.

Who do we have to MSG to get white listed for the GAF servers?

-Minsc-

Big NeoGAF plaza at spawn sounds like a cool idea.

Who do we have to MSG to get white listed for the GAF servers?

CharmingCharlie or Ark would be the ones to go to. Seeing as Charlie just posted half way up the page, he likely would be the best bet.

Bentles

Ok so to answer my own post :p I'm pretty sure this is a bug.

Try making this:

The droppers face each other and there's one item in one or the other of them at any time. Put it in the bottom one to start. You hit the left button and the item will go up from the bottom dropper into the top one and then back (as expected). Then you hit the right button and nothing happens. Hit it again and it works. BAGU.

Hey all!

Nicely done. I have some ideas myself now, so I might work on something this weekend if I have a little free time. :)

Top Bottom