• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Is GAFLAND 1.7.4 now?

No, not yet, Neocraft and GAFland are still on 1.6.4

HOWEVER, a few nights ago I copied the server to my PC and experimented a bit. I updated it to 1.7.4 and installed the latest dev build of bukkit. I couldn't even log onto it due to the errors. But after disabling all mods except for bukkit I could log on and play just fine. No other mods (with the Multiplay versions) would load up.

SO, I could get the server to work as a bare bones vanilla server only, no mods other than the latest dev build of bukkit. This weekend I'm going to try manually updating the mods to their latest versions, at least things like PEX and Lockette, to see if I can get a server running in 1.7.4 with at least some basic admin stuff. If I can get that far then we might want to consider updating manually to 1.7.4 and forget this whole waiting business.

belushy

Banned
Hey all!

Now that the work I more/less want to do on the existing GafLand map is finished I've turned my sights to GafLand 2.0. Currently I'm working on a proposal for NeoGafland's spawn area. My idea is an open plaza design. To me, having an open common area for people to mingle is appealing. Here's what I have so far. For the actual spawn point I was thinking of people spawn in on the NeoGaf logo. Anyone have an existing schematic I could use to save some time?

I'm using the 4031384495743822299 seed to construct this. It's located in a plains biome, just north of the spawn desert. Even if it's not used it's still a fun little project. Once I get more completed I'll put the world up for download. :) If anyone want's to add to the project they are free to do so. I have no qualms making this a community project. :)

Looking good! Hopefully we could get the whole community in on this to help.

So, I bought Minecraft years ago and basically let me nephews use my account. Now that I've played with them a bit I'm starting to get the bug. I see there are a couple of options for servers to join. I pretty much know nothing about modding Minecraft. If I were to join GAF on a server, which is recommended for someone newish (I know most of the crafting/survival basics from watching through X's Minecraft videos)?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
No, not yet, Neocraft and GAFland are still on 1.6.4

HOWEVER, a few nights ago I copied the server to my PC and experimented a bit. I updated it to 1.7.4 and installed the latest dev build of bukkit. I couldn't even log onto it due to the errors. But after disabling all mods except for bukkit I could log on and play just fine. No other mods (with the Multiplay versions) would load up.

SO, I could get the server to work as a bare bones vanilla server only, no mods other than the latest dev build of bukkit. This weekend I'm going to try manually updating the mods to their latest versions, at least things like PEX and Lockette, to see if I can get a server running in 1.7.4 with at least some basic admin stuff. If I can get that far then we might want to consider updating manually to 1.7.4 and forget this whole waiting business.
godspeed.

So, I bought Minecraft years ago and basically let me nephews use my account. Now that I've played with them a bit I'm starting to get the bug. I see there are a couple of options for servers to join. I pretty much know nothing about modding Minecraft. If I were to join GAF on a server, which is recommended for someone newish (I know most of the crafting/survival basics from watching through X's Minecraft videos)?

The Neocraft server "accepts" vanilla minecraft that is you can join with no modifications to your game. All the modded files behave server side so you don't have to do anything to your client except join the server.

All you need to do is pm either me or Ark with your minecraft username and you will get added to the whitelist. Then enter the Neocraft server IP which can be found by quoting the first page of this topic.

One last thing, the current server is only compatible with 1.6.4 so if you have a newer version of minecraft you won't be able to join (we are currently waiting for some mods to be updated before the server upgrades to 1.7.2).

Sarcasm

What plugins? I joined this one random 1.7.4 just to see and they have all kidns of mods..lockette, plots, economy, multi worlds...

Fuchsdh

Here's my Gafland spawn progress thus far for any who want to give a gander. I moved the spawn point to the centre of the NeoGaf logo so let me know that worked out correctly.

If anyone wants to mess around with it and upload some changes you're free to do so. I'd like to see what you all can come up with. :)

**While this should go without saying, the world is 1.7.4.

I poked my head around it. Looks cool, although I didn't spawn in the GAF logo but right in front of the intro sign.

From an aesthetic standpoint I think having the actual GAF logo at the center of the courtyard looks nicest, then have boulevards coming off it like spokes. And a "welcome center" with something like a 'take a resource leave a resource' chest for newbies would be cool.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me

-Minsc-

I poked my head around it. Looks cool, although I didn't spawn in the GAF logo but right in front of the intro sign.

From an aesthetic standpoint I think having the actual GAF logo at the center of the courtyard looks nicest, then have boulevards coming off it like spokes. And a "welcome center" with something like a 'take a resource leave a resource' chest for newbies would be cool.

Ahh, I guess it just used my last saved player position.

I to get what you mean about the logo being the centre, I kinda just started with a fountain. Might use MCedit to move the whole build north with the Gaf logo at the centre of the sandbox.

Things like a welcome centre, safe house, donations chest, and nether portal are on the mind.

dat mountain range north of spawn....

166 height peaks.

The people say "WOW".

what do the outlines represent ?

Nothing other than to mark out a sizeable sandbox.

Fuchsdh

Either way I'm claiming a bit of prime real estate for my penthouse on the boulevard :p

How can you set custom spawn points for a creative map, though?

-Minsc-

Quick question, is there a way to change the direction players spawn in at the spawn point? As far as I can tell it seems to stay pointing south. If possible, I'd much rather have people spawn in facing north.

-Minsc-

Is there a way to trim a 1.7.4 world?

MCedit.

I'm having fun watching this. Questions:

*What difficulty is the server set to?

*Whose giant citadel is that in the town?

1 ) There are two maps on the server. NeoCraft is set to normal (mix of survival/creative) and Gafland is set to hard (survival only).

2 ) Could you provide a timestamp so I can know what you're talking about?

Quick question, is there a way to change the direction players spawn in at the spawn point? As far as I can tell it seems to stay pointing south. If possible, I'd much rather have people spawn in facing north.

I imagine it works the same way as when we set a warp point. When a spawn point is set by the great god Ark it will be set in such away that players spawn in the direction Ark is facing when he creates the spawn point. I could be completely wrong (and my track record and the fact it is 4am ..... curse you, damn starbound) but Ark would know more about this kind of thing.

Is there a way to trim a 1.7.4 world?

I think the 3D renderer called Chunky lets you load in 1.7.4 worlds. Now whilst it's main job is to create 3D renders of minecraft builds it does have the ability to select and delete parts of the map. So you could use that feature to trim your world.

You can find out more about Chunky and download it from here :-

http://chunky.llbit.se/index.php?title=Main_Page

The Neocraft server "accepts" vanilla minecraft that is you can join with no modifications to your game. All the modded files behave server side so you don't have to do anything to your client except join the server.

All you need to do is pm either me or Ark with your minecraft username and you will get added to the whitelist. Then enter the Neocraft server IP which can be found by quoting the first page of this topic.

One last thing, the current server is only compatible with 1.6.4 so if you have a newer version of minecraft you won't be able to join (we are currently waiting for some mods to be updated before the server upgrades to 1.7.2).

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

xkramz

Man Ftb 1.6.4 is pissing me off. I got 2,500,000 MB of biomass... but I wanna use Redstone conduits and biogas engines isn't compAtible with MJ to RF

Sarcasm

I don't know what I was doing lol

iDjbzgGkQdFTO.png

Crispy75

masud

Banned
Here's my Gafland spawn progress thus far for any who want to give a gander. I moved the spawn point to the centre of the NeoGaf logo so let me know that worked out correctly.

If anyone wants to mess around with it and upload some changes you're free to do so. I'd like to see what you all can come up with. :)

**While this should go without saying, the world is 1.7.4.

I like it. We could surround the plaza with buildings and expand the spawn village that way. I think we should keep the roads going in 4 directions like the last spawn though.

edit: we could do something cool with those intersecting ravines east of spawn.

-Minsc-

Hey folks!

Here's another update of my spawn build. :)

I feel this one is coming together better.

Included:

- Spawn plaza.
- Garden area (unfinished) with bulletin boards for visitor information and maps.
- A small hovel which provides visitors with access to a bed, crafting table, chest-o-goodies, furnace, and a vegetable garden.
- Nether portal.

I plan to section off the spawn area into various plots which I'll leave open to every ones building pleasure. While I could add animal farms, large smelters, enchanting tables, etc, I'll leave all that to be built in survival if this map ever goes live. No need to provide people with too many luxuries from the get go. ;)

Ark

I imagine it works the same way as when we set a warp point. When a spawn point is set by the great god Ark it will be set in such away that players spawn in the direction Ark is facing when he creates the spawn point. I could be completely wrong (and my track record and the fact it is 4am ..... curse you, damn starbound) but Ark would know more about this kind of thing.

You are correct.

UF_C

Banned
Does anyone have any suggestions on joining a public server? I am of course waiting on GAFLand 1.74 but in the meantime id like to get some multiplayer experience. There are so many servers out there, if I just want to play vanilla, minor griefing, survival, how would I find a decent server? I've heard stories of people putting in hour and hours of work only to have their server disappear or über power mods ruining games. Any suggestions?

Mengy

Uhhhhhhhhhhh dibs on 100, -1300. kthanksbye

There are quite a few great mountains in that seed, actually there is a super impressive mountain range a thousand or so blocks NE of spawn full of them.

And if we are calling dibs, I call DIBS on a ravine to the NE of spawn, between spawn and said mountain range, and just a bit north of the mesa biome east of spawn (I think it's around 400, -500?). It will suit me nicely for what I have in mind for my next project!

Frantic Fanatic

Neo Member
Direwolf20 released an updated mod spotlight for a mod called Qcraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTLb_vMVM7c

I normally don't link random videos like this, but what really caught my eye was the mod's ability to set up cross-server portals with the option for item transferring, as well as using the mod's built in mechanics to move chunks around.

While my initial thought of allowing people to migrate their items between new versions of Neocraft wouldn't work because the servers need to be identical in mod lists and configuration, I still think someone somewhere could use the mechanic.

Calling dibs? Man, y'all must be chomping at the bits to get the server updated.

Why not just make the server pure default until Bukkit updates sometime within the next 5 years? :p

Mengy

Calling dibs? Man, y'all must be chomping at the bits to get the server updated.

Why not just make the server pure default until Bukkit updates sometime within the next 5 years? :p

YES, I am chomping at the bits to get on the new server!

On that topic, I actually had GAFland running as a 1.7.4 server on my PC this weekend. I used the latest dev build of bukkit, and I got both Lockette and PermissionsEX (with a few issues but I believe it's just config stuff and something that could be fixed). HOWEVER, all other mods were broken and I couldn't get them running, not even the latest versions. WorldGuard might be a possibility, I have some more digging to do on that one. But no Dynamap, no Custom Portals, and no MultiVerse. The only way I could get it to work is by having one world on the server, either Neocraft or GAFland, but not both.

So, even after a release build of Bukkit comes out on Multiplay, we will most likely be waiting until MultiVerse updates their mod for the new version of Bukkit even after that.

So, even after a release build of Bukkit comes out on Multiplay, we will most likely be waiting until MultiVerse updates their mod for the new version of Bukkit even after that.

Alternatively we could "mothball" Neocraft till multiverse is working again. We could have one big blow up on Neocraft (after I back the map up). Then switch to just using Gafland. Meanwhile I will tidy up the Neocraft world I backed up so that it is ready for uploading once multiverse is back working.

limlark

Alternatively we could "mothball" Neocraft till multiverse is working again. We could have one big blow up on Neocraft (after I back the map up). Then switch to just using Gafland. Meanwhile I will tidy up the Neocraft world I backed up so that it is ready for uploading once multiverse is back working.
I see no problem with this. So does that mean we'd have Gafland in 1.7, like... tomorrow?

Fuchsdh

Screw the creatives? Sounds good to me :p

I'm already working on my Rapture Creative map solo so I'm most interested in the survival one (I really hate playing survival solo.)

Mengy

Hmm, we could do that. I already have a copy of Neocraft on my PC from a few days ago, but if you trim it then we would want to upload yours instead once we can.

I see no problem with this. So does that mean we'd have Gafland in 1.7, like... tomorrow?

Well, possibly, actually. I'll do some more work on it tonight and see if I can get PermissionsEX to work properly, from what I learned yesterday it shouldn't take much. If I can get the permissions and WorldGuard to work we just might be in business.

Mengy

#GAFlandrush

Ideally you could wait until the 1st when I've got a day off of work :p

just think of the dozens and dozens of resources you'd be behind on for starting a day later.

Ah come on boys, Minecraft isn't a race, it's an adventure to be savored and enjoyed! Plus, infinite world size means infinite resources, and infinite space to use them in.

The colored glass and new wood types have become such a staple to my building that I can't really imagine not having them now.

Top Bottom