• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT3| Dig Your Way to Fortune! Build Your Way to Glory!

DukeSucks

Does anyone have any suggestions on joining a public server? I am of course waiting on GAFLand 1.74 but in the meantime id like to get some multiplayer experience. There are so many servers out there, if I just want to play vanilla, minor griefing, survival, how would I find a decent server? I've heard stories of people putting in hour and hours of work only to have their server disappear or über power mods ruining games. Any suggestions?

Same here, I've played a little on 360/ps3, but am looking to get the PC version in a few days. Definitely will be joining GAFland, but wouldn't mind something to practice on in the meantime.

defel

Just been designing my base to prepare for Gafland. Ive been using single player commands to build it so in vanilla it will require a huge amount of digging. Goal is to build an enderman farm and get a beacon as soon as possible to aid the digging process.

Fuchsdh

Ah come on boys, Minecraft isn't a race, it's an adventure to be savored and enjoyed! Plus, infinite world size means infinite resources, and infinite space to use them in.

The colored glass and new wood types have become such a staple to my building that I can't really imagine not having them now.

Oh I know, I'm not really worried, but it's always fun to jump into a blank canvas right at the beginning.

Like a couple of other people here I was broken in on the 360 version I haven't really spent much time in the big worlds on PC.

belushy

Banned
Just been designing my base to prepare for Gafland. Ive been using single player commands to build it so in vanilla it will require a huge amount of digging. Goal is to build an enderman farm and get a beacon as soon as possible to aid the digging process.

Yes, I hope we do community Ender Dragon and Wither fights early on in the servers life (when more people are on.) An Ender Ender would be really helpful in the beginning lol

Is this fresh server going to be on the same IP as the previous main GAF server has been? I remember playing a long time ago but I don't think I can connect to the current server at the moment (if it is even up right now).

limlark

HVxgCwg.png

QJPve60.png
Test was a success. Operation Permanent Fireworks is go. I don't know where I'm putting my house, but these are going over it.

-Minsc-

Is this fresh server going to be on the same IP as the previous main GAF server has been? I remember playing a long time ago but I don't think I can connect to the current server at the moment (if it is even up right now).

I think six to eight months ago the IP was changed. Quote the first post of the thread to get the new IP.

What is this "FRESH SERVER" talk?

Not fresh server, just Gafland getting reset.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
What is this "FRESH SERVER" talk?

since there are issues with the multiverse plugin on bukkit 1.7, the idea is to take down neocraft/gafland, refresh the gafland map and only have gafland up on the server for the time it takes for bukkit and its plugins to get sorted.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really excited about the reset. I've been neglecting to join NeoCraft for my entire GAF career, and I needed a good jumping-in point.

In the meantime, I'm messing around making stuff on the server. If you see a KayJayBee online, feel free to say hello!
(Diggeh was taken, so I had to use a really old alt name. Not a girl by the way.)

masud

Banned
You guys are calling dibs? OK then I call dibs on the northern part of that jungle biome that's East of the giant Mesa right below spawn. I think I'm the only one that likes building in the jungle anyway...

UF_C

Banned
If the map is infinite with infinite resources does that include villages or are their locations foxed no matter how far out you might explore?

Ark

Villages will spawn with newly generated chunks, so yes.

There's no point in calling dibs, you all know there's no possible way to secure a secluded spot anywhere in a 2000 block radius of spawn :p

masud

Banned
Villages will spawn with newly generated chunks, so yes.

There's no point in calling dibs, you all know there's no possible way to secure a secluded spot anywhere in a 2000 block radius of spawn :p

So what you're saying is that I should immediately wander off 10k blocks from spawn? OK got it. ;)

Sarcasm

I can't seem to figure out which way is what direction.

Like say I am standing on X: -24 and Z: -10 and I want to go to (random number) X:-348 and Z: 136..how do I figure that out?

masud

Banned
I can't seem to figure out which way is what direction.

Like say I am standing on X: -24 and Z: -10 and I want to go to (random number) X:-348 and Z: 136..how do I figure that out?

Use the sun to determine east and west. Positive x is east, positive z is South. Or just hit f3 but some people consider that cheating.

Crispy75

I like it :)

Although, might I suggest diagonal paths as well? There are some nice landmarks directly off the diagonals from spawn, and it allows for more direct routes. Kinda like this:

xOrmChf.jpg

If you lot agree, I could make the edits and pass the file back to Minsc.
Or not, whatever :)

-Minsc-

I like it :)

Although, might I suggest diagonal paths as well? There are some nice landmarks directly off the diagonals from spawn, and it allows for more direct routes. Kinda like this:

If you lot agree, I could make the edits and pass the file back to Minsc.
Or not, whatever :)

I say go ahead. Since they are not really needed, get red of those straight roads as well.

GaflandSpawnRoadEdit.png

Keep an eye on the lighting, I believe I had the entire spawn area lit to level seven and above.

Edit:

Here's a quick idea for a corner gate.

GaflandSpawnCornerGate.png

So are you pasting that into the GAFland map as a sort of base or are you going to have to recreate that in survival?

We could recreate it in survival. ;)

I suspect they'll create a fresh world using the same seed then overwrite the server map folder with the one containing the spawn hub. Being a semi-public server, it's nice to have a prefabbed spawn area to prevent it place from becoming to busy and unsightly.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I say go ahead. Since they are not really needed, get red of those straight roads as well.

GaflandSpawnRoadEdit.png

Keep an eye on the lighting, I believe I had the entire spawn area lit to level seven and above.

We could recreate it in survival. ;)

I suspect they'll create a fresh world using the same seed then overwrite the server map folder with the one containing the spawn hub. Being a semi-public server, it's nice to have a prefabbed spawn area to prevent it place from becoming to busy and unsightly.

I've already got your spawn area set into my test server at home, and I'll be uploading it to the server when I'm done.

YAML code sure if fussy, I've got permissions working except for Visitors being limited, but I know it's something with the new Modifyworld so I'm close. And chat colors aren't working yet, but thats yaml format errors again I'm sure.

There's a chance I might be taking the server down today and trying this out. I'll post if I have good news, lol.

There's a chance I might be taking the server down today and trying this out. I'll post if I have good news, lol.

I know this is just a test but before we fully commit to this we have to have a "blow up crap" day on the Neocraft world. It is in the Constitution of Neocraft, right next to "the right to build phallic shaped buildings to annoy other people".

If the test goes OK might I suggest we have "blow up crap" day this weekend from Friday to Sunday.

you guys just couldn't wait till bukkit officially updated could you? ;-p

whelp, i probably wont be around until neocraft is back up. i have little to no interest in survival anymore.

UF_C

Banned
I've been watching old minecrack episodes to mentally prepare for the flip to 1.7. It's amazing how entertaining most of those youtubes are.

Crispy75

Roger wilco.
NYE is kicking off round mine though, so I won't get round to it for 36h at least :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I know this is just a test but before we fully commit to this we have to have a "blow up crap" day on the Neocraft world. It is in the Constitution of Neocraft, right next to "the right to build phallic shaped buildings to annoy other people".

If the test goes OK might I suggest we have "blow up crap" day this weekend from Friday to Sunday.

Okay, schedule the blow up day and let me know you guys want the new 1.7.4 server started, because at this point I think I've got it all working rather well:

From what I've tested it appears that I have all of our plugins working except for the Multiverse. Permissions, chat color, even AutoAnnouncer seem like they are just fine. I have Minsc's spawn area set up too. I've also got a new profile set up in Multiplay for the new server using CraftBukkit R0.2, and I'm uploading the map files now. All three maps will be on the server: Neocraft, GAFland, and GAFland_1-7, but we'll only be able to access one at a time. I think I'll be able to flip the switch fairly quickly once we decide to do it. I do expect a few problems after the switch is flipped but I'm confident I can fix them very quickly, I will just need to upload the config files I have here on my PC and (with luck) we will be good to go.

I have to resist the urge to start building on the new server awhile, LOL.

-Minsc-

@Mengy: Crispy and I have a few things left to polish on the spawn area, after that's done everything should be good to go. :)

MackVee

Neo Member
Good job getting things sorted Mengy, I say we forgo the ritual blow stuff up and switch to 1.7. My itch needs scratching. Why wait? :D

belushy

Banned
People probably already know about this, but I was flying around on Minsc's spawn map thingy and I found an Ender Portal. It is just a portal room in the middle of the ocean. So weird lol

Anyway, I was trying to find a good place to put the message board. I think right out in the middle of the ocean is a good spot, so maybe I could place it over top the portal room and we can just have a nether portal that leads to them both?

edit: Never mind. Didn't notice a big chunk of land that was near the potential location. Trying not to build it in a potential building area.

limlark

Clarification requested: does 'national park' status, as proposed for the nearest mesa, forbid building in that area, or just obvious defacement/raiding of surface resources? Something in between?
Not that I want to build there anyway, the vegetation color is terrible.

-Minsc-

At the end of the day if people want to switch straight to Gafland I aint gonna insist on doing a blow up crap day.

We could do Blow Crap Up Day to celebrate the time we get multiverse back. :)

Anyways, I say wait until atleast tomorrow night to fire up this new map. Let everyone get this New Years business out of the way.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
We could do Blow Crap Up Day to celebrate the time we get multiverse back. :)

Anyways, I say wait until atleast tomorrow night to fire up this new map. Let everyone get this New Years business out of the way.
some people will be heading back to work by then though. why not have it up for the actual day off?

Sorry Charlie :( Everyone is just anxious to get started.

No no it's quite alright ......... don't you worry about little old me .................. and my little old sentimentality. Trying to keep a bit of *sniff* heritage to our *sniff* fine server. No no you lot go off and play on your fancy new playground *sniff* don't worry about our traditions and folklore it's quite *sniff* alright............... I am not crying as my heart lies in TATTERS at the SHEER and UTTER DISLOYALTY OF PEOPLE.

I kid, I kid, nah seriously probably would be best if we skipped it. Things in real life here are not easy at the moment so I could do without the distraction of blow up crap day

Top Bottom